Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  ignore  |  Print  
  Renoria - Java MMORPG  (Read 21990 times)
Offline Troubleshoots

JGO Knight

Medals: 36
Exp: 7-9 months

Damn maths.

« Reply #60 - Posted 2013-10-30 13:58:19 »

Awesome work. What sort of content are you planning for the future? Also, will you be adding PvP?

Why are all OpenGL tutorials written in Brainf**k?
Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #61 - Posted 2013-10-30 14:21:50 »

Awesome work. What sort of content are you planning for the future? Also, will you be adding PvP?

Thanks! Smiley

We're planning to build a massive world in this MMO, currently our world consists of 30 maps. I'm expecting around 150 maps by the end of Beta.

I'm planning to add an assortment of quests, monsters, boss monsters, PQs (party quests), minigames, items, skills, pretty much expanding the game bit by bit.

Currently i'm working on generalising the engine so absolutely no Java code needs to be written to add and modify content. Already going pretty well - maps, items, character equipment, hairstyles, eyestyles, monsters, quests, pets, mounts, morphs and NPCs can all be added to the game without writing any code (NPC requires a bit of Uxscript code behind it for functionality but no Java code)
Things that still require changes to the Java code for addition include things like effects, minigames and particle systems. I'm currently rewriting the particle engine to run completely off configuration data. I'm also rewriting the minigame handling engine to run off Uxscript - which will greatly benefit the flexibility of updating the server to implement new minigames, Uxscript code can be hotswapped into the server through a remote compiler.

We already have PvP in one of our minigames, but I want to add a PvP duel arena thing later Tongue (damage is divided by 100 in PvP maps to prevent players from 1HKOing each other, players have much less HP than monsters do.)

Our current world map looks like:

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #62 - Posted 2013-10-30 17:59:41 »

How about combat? Are many Skills involved? Is it possible to build up Combo's like in Guid Wars or similar?

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline saucymeatman
« Reply #63 - Posted 2013-10-31 02:34:24 »

Hey man!
Love the game, looks really cool :}
Sign me up for the beta?  Grin
Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #64 - Posted 2013-10-31 08:20:32 »

How about combat? Are many Skills involved? Is it possible to build up Combo's like in Guid Wars or similar?

Yep, theres combat. There are also combat skills, passive skills, buff skills etc. Combat skills are used to attack monsters, and they are usually better than a vanilla attack, for example a skill may hit 6 times instead of 1 (normal hit) or hit 300% normal damage or have a higher chance of hitting a critical.
Some classes will have a combo counter and when this counter is maxed out they will be able to unleash a super attack which will hit hundreds percent more damage than what they normally would. Smiley

Hey man!
Love the game, looks really cool :}
Sign me up for the beta?  Grin

Thanks! Cheesy

We'll be opening an Alpha signup page soon so you can sign up your email and be automatically notified when Alpha is available Tongue
You'll be emailed a reference key and you need this key to sign up for the Alpha.
Alpha will be closed off to the general public, but i'm allowing people from an assortment of forums (JGO being one of them) to play our Alpha version.

UPDATE: Bunnies! :3

Offline Troubleshoots

JGO Knight

Damn maths.

« Reply #65 - Posted 2013-10-31 11:18:48 »

Really nice work. Any plans to go 3D in the distant future or are you staying as a 2D sidescroller? Smiley
Edit: very distant future*

Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #66 - Posted 2013-11-01 06:05:55 »

Really nice work. Any plans to go 3D in the distant future or are you staying as a 2D sidescroller? Smiley
Edit: very distant future*

Thanks!

Nope, our plans are to stay as a 2D sidescroller. We'll be developing a 3D MMO later as well, but unrelated to Renoria.

UPDATE: Pigs !

Kill them for pork and bacon Cheesy

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 153
Projects: 7
Exp: 3 years

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #67 - Posted 2013-11-01 10:19:35 »

I have to say, I'd gladly kill those pigs if it meant I didn't have to see their faces anymore Cheesy I'm not saying they're bad... Just very weird and different!

Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #68 - Posted 2013-11-01 11:46:44 »

I have to say, I'd gladly kill those pigs if it meant I didn't have to see their faces anymore Cheesy I'm not saying they're bad... Just very weird and different!

Hahaha ugly pigs Tongue

UPDATE:

Rope/Ladder climb done!

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 153
Projects: 7

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #69 - Posted 2013-11-01 11:50:46 »

Updates! More updates you are guys are great! If this doesn't get some fame I will be very disapointed as you and your studio are just amazing at this!

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #70 - Posted 2013-11-01 14:31:29 »

Thank you for the kind words!

Guess what, you guessed it! Another update!

Update: Stumps & Poisonous Flowers Tongue

Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #71 - Posted 2013-11-01 15:07:45 »

Introducing: Masking into the sprite colorizer

Note how the wood texture color changed, but the face and leaves stayed the same color. Thats the power of colorizer masking Tongue

Maptest: Running almost 1K tiles and huge map objects at a steady 120-150 FPS in FULL HD:

Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #72 - Posted 2013-11-02 15:56:17 »

UPDATE: Completely finished assembling the castle.

What it looks like:

Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #73 - Posted 2013-11-03 07:50:25 »

UPDATE:

Portals!

Portals warp a player to different maps and form the basis of map links.

Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #74 - Posted 2013-11-05 06:56:25 »

UPDATE:

New dynamic themable GUI system (looks more modern as well)

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Medals: 75
Projects: 4

Radirius Software Developer

« Reply #75 - Posted 2013-11-05 15:10:32 »

Looks great!

Know when we can possibly get a beta build?

- Jev

Check out #JGO on EsperNet IRC! | Check out the MERCury 2D Java Game Library! | Also, Check out My Site
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #76 - Posted 2013-11-05 15:14:42 »

I might want you to look at a game, called Dragonica. There may be many things wrong with it, but I really like the art style of it, you can see a vid of that here.

As a contrast there are MMO's where you don't actually have any combat, but actually only click on the enemies and wait for them to die, while doing some other stuff like healing or similar. I think that's kind of lame. Examples for that are FLYFF (Not worth to take a look at it) and TMW (The Mana World, an otherwise very good game... It's free and also 2D, so try it out Smiley ).

Hope this helps, I don't want to push you into one direction, but I'd like you to take a look at it. This could become a reeeeaaally cool game.

See my:
Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #77 - Posted 2013-11-06 14:13:50 »

Looks great!

Know when we can possibly get a beta build?

- Jev

Hey, thanks!

Alpha will be available soon! Smiley

I'll let everybody know by posting here!

I might want you to look at a game, called Dragonica. There may be many things wrong with it, but I really like the art style of it, you can see a vid of that here.

As a contrast there are MMO's where you don't actually have any combat, but actually only click on the enemies and wait for them to die, while doing some other stuff like healing or similar. I think that's kind of lame. Examples for that are FLYFF (Not worth to take a look at it) and TMW (The Mana World, an otherwise very good game... It's free and also 2D, so try it out Smiley ).

Hope this helps, I don't want to push you into one direction, but I'd like you to take a look at it. This could become a reeeeaaally cool game.

Hey, thanks for the advice Smiley I'll check them out! In fact i've seen Dragonica before. It's pretty cool by the looks of it (Havent played it though)

UPDATE:

Skills now working! Smiley

Just thought i'd show a screenshot showing a big subset of all the monsters we currently have:

Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #78 - Posted 2013-11-06 16:12:58 »

UPDATE: new HUD next to the old HUD, which one do you guys like better? Cheesy

Offline Troubleshoots

JGO Knight

Damn maths.

« Reply #79 - Posted 2013-11-06 16:40:11 »

Nice work.
Maybe de-cluttering the newer HUD would be better; it looks too cluttered. Also I think it'd look better if the coloured bars were one solid colour. In this case I think less is more. Smiley

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #80 - Posted 2013-11-06 18:42:23 »

I actually Like the older HUD better... But I like that there is more information on the new HUD. That's whats missing on the old HUD.

I think using less gradients and using more of some kind of (more or less) random patterns on the UI makes it look nicer, it's hard to describe, though :/

I also really like the skill effect, it looks really cool! Smiley

Keep up this awesome work! Smiley

See my:
Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #81 - Posted 2013-11-06 20:27:04 »

Nice work.
Maybe de-cluttering the newer HUD would be better; it looks too cluttered. Also I think it'd look better if the coloured bars were one solid colour. In this case I think less is more. Smiley

Haha, I agree Smiley

I redesigned a new HUD:

I think it looks better now (Longer EXP bar and can fit a longer name Smiley )

Thanks for the feedback!

I actually Like the older HUD better... But I like that there is more information on the new HUD. That's whats missing on the old HUD.

I think using less gradients and using more of some kind of (more or less) random patterns on the UI makes it look nicer, it's hard to describe, though :/

I also really like the skill effect, it looks really cool! Smiley

Keep up this awesome work! Smiley

Haha, yeah, the older HUD was way too small for me to be adding enough information to it, part of the reason we switched Smiley

The new UI is designed to look more modern, more generic etc. As this is more of a fantasy MMO it didn't really make much sense to be theming everything with wood lol.

I also added translucency to the windows so you can kinda see what's behind them (they become more translucent when dragged around)

And thanks Smiley I'll post a video of the new skills later, they look so much better animated, trust me Wink

Offline nsigma
« Reply #82 - Posted 2013-11-06 21:10:54 »

The new UI is designed to look more modern,

Feels the opposite to me.  Wood effect seemed somehow timeless and unified, this looks retro.  Smiley

Praxis LIVE - open-source intermedia toolkit and live interactive visual editor
Digital Prisoners - interactive spaces and projections
Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #83 - Posted 2013-11-06 21:23:06 »

Well, its supposed to look more modern Tongue

For example operating systems have gone to enabling translucency in their windowing systems, etc. I just think that having translucency in the windowing system and making it color-skinnable makes it look more modern Tongue

I think the retro look may be attributed to the fact that I decided to theme it purple, but you can actually theme it any color you want, I just like the purple look Smiley

Offline Kyperbelt

Medals: 1

« Reply #84 - Posted 2013-11-06 21:35:15 »

beautiful game Smiley looks very well coded from the snippets you showed. Will def keep an eye on this one.
Offline RobinB

JGO Ninja

Medals: 44
Projects: 1

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #85 - Posted 2013-11-06 21:39:24 »

For my taste, you shoud move the hp/mp/xp text more down and remove / move the Super GM text or give it some more margin at the bottom.
Also the bar gradients have a little to much contrast.
Doing so, revoves the cluttered effect some more.

But seeing how much nice stuff you made already, i cant really say stuff about your game.  Lips Sealed
Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #86 - Posted 2013-11-06 21:48:47 »

beautiful game Smiley looks very well coded from the snippets you showed. Will def keep an eye on this one.

Thanks ! Smiley

I try and keep code quality high ^.^

For my taste, you shoud move the hp/mp/xp text more down and remove / move the Super GM text or give it some more margin at the bottom.
Also the bar gradients have a little to much contrast.
Doing so, revoves the cluttered effect some more.

But seeing how much nice stuff you made already, i cant really say stuff about your game.  Lips Sealed

Hmm, you're right, moving the text down makes it look a lot better ^.^

Still need to fix the xadvance on my sprite font >.<

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #87 - Posted 2013-11-06 21:58:23 »

Oh yeah, I like that design a lot already. I think changing the look of the bars to something using a little less gradients might look better... Smiley

Really like the direction the HUD is going, and I'm glad you are open to fan feedback Cheesy

See my:
Offline Dxu1994
« Reply #88 - Posted 2013-11-06 22:01:52 »

Oh yeah, I like that design a lot already. I think changing the look of the bars to something using a little less gradients might look better... Smiley

Really like the direction the HUD is going, and I'm glad you are open to fan feedback Cheesy

Haha thanks! Smiley

Yep, I'm open to all feedback, if you have any suggestions or anything feel free to post here! After all we all just want to see a great game right?!

What do you guys think of adding an option to the HUD, to collapse it straight into 3 bars, nothing else, with the values of the bars right over them?

I think that might be useful for bossfights in future, where you don't really care about seeing your level or your name displayed in the HUD Tongue

Offline thunderfist123

Senior Newbie

« Reply #89 - Posted 2013-11-07 04:19:05 »

I personally like the new HUD better!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (14 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (21 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (14 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (12 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (32 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (42 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (42 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (29 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org