Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  ignore  |  Print  
  Mercury: A Simple 2D Game Library | -> Beta coming soon <-  (Read 28686 times)
Offline BurntPizza
« Reply #270 - Posted 2014-06-16 23:42:19 »

I may be flat wrong on this, but aren't most things limited by fillrate rather than vertices? Also, stating what hardware you accomplish those numbers on would be a good idea I think.

Otherwise, cool stuff going on here.  Smiley
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 67
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Profile picture isn't relevant.

« Reply #271 - Posted 2014-06-16 23:49:10 »

Whoopse, forgot to mention that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($50.79 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card  ($182.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($53.96 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($21.80 @ Amazon)
Monitor: HP W2072a (A3M50AA#ABA) 60Hz 20.0" Monitor  ($117.58 @ Newegg)
Total: $787.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-16 19:54 EDT-0400

Online kingroka123

JGO Ninja

Medals: 35
Projects: 6
Exp: 1 year

Gamer's Helmet

« Reply #272 - Posted 2014-06-17 02:00:03 »

Wow, I envy  that nvdia 660  Pointing. You have a really good machine. Right now I have about the same power in everything but the video card. I have a radeon 7750, it gets the job done but I need to upgrade for next gen titles and the 660 is what I've set my sights on.

Now about that stress test: Really nice. Do you plan on android and ios versions being released because that would be very nice. Also, since your machine is so good, try testing on a slower device like a laptop just to be sure of the. Performance. Really good job with this  Grin  keep up the good work!

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #273 - Posted 2014-06-17 02:06:06 »

Yes, I saved up for quite a while to get this machine. Very good for gaming in general. My machine is not a good test for this, but think about it: 400K. That is a very large number. A VERY large amount of vertices. If anyone needs 400K vertices for a 2D game, they are either A) aiming pretty high, or B) doing something wrong in their code.

As for Android? That is for a whole other release (2.0 perhaps?)! I don't even have a backend system yet! That should be... interesting to make, though.

-wes

Online Longarmx
« Reply #274 - Posted 2014-06-17 04:55:42 »

That card is unlocked correct? I think I have the same one.  Smiley

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #275 - Posted 2014-06-18 22:11:29 »

Played around more with the particles, and found that they were kind of difficult to work with. I decided to make them a tad more easy to use, and added in both Textured Particles and Rotating Particles.

The result is more than satisfactory:

Click to Play

Along with that, there is a nice little feature I added in. You'll notice there is a little bit of debug text at the top-left. It will stay there, no matter how you scaled the graphics. FPS and Vertices are default, but if you want to add in more debug information, call this every frame:

Runner.getInstance().addDebugData("Name", value);

And it works like a charm Smiley.

EDIT:
And in case you want to disable the debug, all you must do is this:
Runner.getInstance().showDebug(false);

-wes

Offline ClaasJG
« Reply #276 - Posted 2014-06-19 11:28:14 »

The link in the front post is down.
http://weslgames.github.io/MERCury

But I read the wiki, nice work.
-ClaasJG

My english has to be tweaked. Please show me my mistakes.
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Medals: 96

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #277 - Posted 2014-06-19 19:47:26 »

The link in the front post is down.

Don't worry. The new site should be up soon.

- Jev

Online kingroka123

JGO Ninja

Gamer's Helmet

« Reply #278 - Posted 2014-06-19 20:44:26 »

Ok so I'm using this code in order to rotate a texture. I feel like I shouldn't have to reload the image each time I want to rotate it so is there any other way of doing this?
sprite = Texture.loadTexture(Loader.streamFromClasspath(path),(int)deg,GL11.GL_NEAREST);

[Edit] Also this keeps popping up everytime i rotate the image in this way:
WARNING: The provided Texture is NPoT (non power of two). Non-pot Textures cannot use GL_REPEAT. 

My texture is 64x64 pixels and I'm not using GL_REPEAT so shouldn't this not be happening?

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #279 - Posted 2014-06-19 20:49:26 »

Texture is just data. You can rotate it while it loads, but that is not how you primarily rotate. You render the Texture to a Rectangle to rotate it. Here is how:

Rectangle bounds = new Rectangle(0,0,10,10);

@Override
public void render(Graphics g) {
    // Rotate by 1 degree every frame.
    bounds.rotate(1);
    // Render the texture to a rectangle.
    g.drawTexture(texture, bounds);
}

-wes

EDIT:
That shouldn't be happening. Are you loading any other Textures with it?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online kingroka123

JGO Ninja

Gamer's Helmet

« Reply #280 - Posted 2014-06-19 21:06:51 »

I am also loading a 16x16 texture but I am not rotating that one

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #281 - Posted 2014-06-20 09:47:20 »

@Wessles
I was looking at your stress test. Does your stress test mean that I could render 100k moving quads at 60 fps?

From what I can see, you have static geometry, and your quads are really small.
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #282 - Posted 2014-06-21 01:54:56 »

@trollwarrior
No, it means that they could render 71K moving quads. ~400K vertices though.

@kingroka123
That, chances are, is the Texture of a font that is being loaded. I think I'll add an option to ignore that warning.

-wes

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #283 - Posted 2014-07-04 03:03:00 »

Worked on a new component today, to celebrate being back from my 8 day absence.

Meet the checkbox! EDIT: Now with radiobuttons!

Click to Play

-wes

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 109
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #284 - Posted 2014-07-04 09:45:48 »

Make the checkboxes' texture change, when you mouse-over. That makes the UI look much better and make it much more usable Smiley

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #285 - Posted 2014-07-04 13:07:32 »

We're going to be including a default Look & Feel in the future, don't worry...

It should be really fun to make... For me. It'll most likely suck for Wesley.
I don't have an issue with that. Smiley

- Jev

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #286 - Posted 2014-07-05 06:22:21 »

I worked on floating elements in panels today (although the changes are not pushed, as they are untested/buggy). Lots of fun/confusing maths that should be simple but continue to be a pain. Also, panels. Basically, these are invisible Rectangles that contain a bunch of Components, and organize them based on their respective FLOATS. There currently are

FLOAT_LEFT
FLOAT_CENTER
FLOAT_RIGHT

Here is a modified demo to demonstrate (I have drawn a Texture in the back to symbolize where the Panel will be).

Click to Play

Here is the code. Fairly simple.

panel = new Panel(new Rectangle(30, 30, Runner.getInstance().getWidth()/1.5f, Runner.getInstance().getHeight()/2.8f), 20);
        // Add checkboxes (or any component really) to the panel
        panel.addChild(foocheck, barcheck);
        // Sort them into neat lines.
        panel.sortChildren();

// Updates all children
        panel.update(delta);

// Renders all children
        panel.update(delta);

Window system in the future (maybe) so stay tuned.

Happy 'Murica day.
-wes

Offline NegativeZero

JGO Knight

Medals: 30
Projects: 2

Zero but not.

« Reply #287 - Posted 2014-07-05 06:31:28 »

For the last three options, they are a state rather than parameters, meaning that it is more intuitive to use radio buttons rather than checkboxes.
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #288 - Posted 2014-07-05 06:33:44 »

Oh, sorry! I probably should have emphasized that those actually are RadioButtons. Probably should have some different sprite. But I guess we will get to that when Jeviny can work on the default theme.

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #289 - Posted 2014-07-08 00:50:36 »

Windows!

Sorry for the crappy scaling on this.
Click to Play

It is a Panel that is draggable, and closeable. Not much else to say!

-wes

EDIT:
Sorry, none of this is up to github. Too buggy and unstable as of now.

Offline Coldstream24
« Reply #290 - Posted 2014-07-08 06:22:40 »

Looking good. That said, the title text of the window looks a bit off-centre for me.
Also, with the close button, I think that if you want it to remain a circle, it's too big currently. OS X-size buttons may make it look nicer, and captions that appear when you mouse over (like an X) would look nice and shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Are you planning on adding event listeners to components and so forth (like mouse over, etc?)

Yes, I am that same incredibly famous Internet musician.
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #291 - Posted 2014-07-08 06:26:55 »

Those are temporary textures. Ignore them, because they will remain that way until I get the time to work on the Look & Feel of the actual interface. The reason why I'm not doing that right now is because I'm in the middle of getting the MERCury website done, which has been quite time consuming.

Expect a large post from me later regarding those two things.

- Jev

EDIT: Also, the reason why the text looks off-center is because the width that the text is centered with takes in both the width of the window AND the width of the close button. Sorry if I didn't word that too well, but you get the idea.

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #292 - Posted 2014-07-11 07:54:51 »

There actually wasn't much visual updating (aside from movement-based particle emission) here, but there was a mini-crisis, made worse by insomnia.

For a while now, there have been SubTextures, and Textures. SubTextures are a type of Texture, and can be rendered in much the same way. They do, however, lack the capability to clamp, and are not PoT Textures. This puts the SubTextures under incapable Textures, while real Textures go under capable textures. The idea here, however, is that SubTextures should be able to be passed in as real Textures, as one may wish to use a sprite-sheet for speed/convenience. The problem rises here, where you need capable Textures for a job, such as a repeating background.

So I now announce a new feature that will help fix these problems in a convenient way:

SubTexture.convertToTexture(): This new method can be used to convert a SubTexture into an actual Texture. This is useful for when you still want one spritesheet image, but you want a repeating Texture pulled from inside of it.

For example, the issue that caused this in the first place: the body of a Panel! It needs to be fully capable, so in order to use a Texture from the spritesheet:
// Just innocently loading a spritesheet
SpriteSheet universal_spritesheet = SpriteSheet.loadSpriteSheet(mytex, allofmysubtextures);
// And just as innocently creating a panel with said spritesheet.
Panel mypanel = new Panel(myboundingrectangle, mybodytex, mybordertex);

// This is bad.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Body Texture has to be fully capable. This requires PoT size, and not being a SubTexture.

// The body texture needs capability! Quick, make it capable!
Panel mypanel = new Panel(myboundingrectangle, mybodytex.convertToTexture(), mybordertex);

And with that, you may get gold like you see here:

Click to Play

Thanks, and sorry if this post made no sense; it is 3:30AM here Tongue.
-wes

And yes, it is on github Wink.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 816
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #293 - Posted 2014-07-11 08:57:57 »

I'd advise not to make up awkward terminology.

SubTexture.convertToTexture() makes much more sense.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #294 - Posted 2014-07-12 00:38:31 »

Fixed.

- Jev

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #295 - Posted 2014-07-15 02:19:56 »

Well, I added in TextFields. I think I like how they turned out (functionally of course, for risk of being beheaded by Jev).

Click to Play

There are a few different modes of input. Here, you see signed integers, which allows numbers, and hyphens. In full, there are strings, signed floating points, unsigned floating points, signed integers, and unsigned integers.
For those unaware, signed means that both negative and positive numbers are allowed, while unsigned means that only positive values are allowed.

The GUI artwork is temporary, and is completely different than how it will look in the end. Ask Jev any questions about that; I am just writing the code Tongue.

-wes Smiley

Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #296 - Posted 2014-07-15 07:05:59 »

Well ignoring whatever was going on in this thread, I tried out the lib and it really gives a java2D flavor. That is good as doing basic things in java2d is very easy.

However I wanted to see how easy it would be to port my particle lib and well...the batcher was kinda bad or more of missing things. I couldn't figure out how to specify rotation, scale, mirroring, etc. So I never made t very far. It took me a few minutes to port to libgdx and I was hoping it wold be the same for this lib but things I guess are still too immature.

Keep working on this if you like. I made my own engine'ish stuff and it was really fun for a while.

Requested feature that would really help game devs and greatly speed up rendering. Automatically adding textures onto an atlas unless specified not to.

PS: Look into using a geometry shader for sprite batching. I got about 100-150k particles or in your terms like 400-600k verts with basic batching. With a simple geometry batcher I made it p to 500k particles. It also has the advantage of smaller bandwidth.

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #297 - Posted 2014-07-15 16:45:05 »

However I wanted to see how easy it would be to port my particle lib and well...the batcher was kinda bad or more of missing things. I couldn't figure out how to specify rotation, scale, mirroring, etc. So I never made t very far. It took me a few minutes to port to libgdx and I was hoping it wold be the same for this lib but things I guess are still too immature.

I only wrote the Batcher to do low level vertex processing. The Graphics object does most rendering work. Textures are drawn to Rectangles, and so all you need to do to rotate is manipulate the geometric object. Same goes for scaling. If you meant a graphical scaling, then you can, again, go to Graphics.

Is the batcher supposed to handle these things?

Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #298 - Posted 2014-07-15 21:16:10 »

The batcher is just to batch everything into one draw call ideally.You can batch things like rotation, scale, mirroring, etc for sprites. The next thing that could hit performance is texture switches which really do not matter if you are using an atlas or modern opengl. The geometry shader allows you to just give a single point and color and then the shader creates the geometry. Let me put it this way. You should try and batch everything.

This is how my render method works in no particular order.

drawImage(x, y, scaleX, scaleY, rotation, color, mirror up, mirror down)

The x and y will be the center of where the image is drawn. So drawImage(0,0,4,4) would be an image at the origin and a half width/height of 2. This I think is the most logical way for people to render a sprite. You give the location in the world where the sprite will be centered at and then some attributes like scale and rotation.

I would really look into doing a spritebatcher using the technique riven poste on here a while ago. People may use the graphics object for some stuff but when they want performance, they use a batcher. Heck I would make the backend of the graphics object batch everything.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 816
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #299 - Posted 2014-07-16 06:37:04 »

This I think is the most logical way for people to render a sprite. You give the location in the world where the sprite will be centered at and then some attributes like scale and rotation.
You typically want to rotate around the 'origin', which could be anywhere in the sprite. This is a good reason to create a Sprite class, to store all these variables, instead of having to deal with a method call that takes more and more parameters, as the library matures.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (49 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (38 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (31 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (34 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (65 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (65 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (54 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (72 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (43 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (84 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org