Games in Showcase (581)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (500)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Is the WIP Section supposed to be used as some sort of development blog?  (Read 982 times)
Offline Jeremy
« Posted 2013-09-22 20:07:33 »

I am curious, because that is sort of what I've been using it as (sorry if I'm not using it properly.)

The problem is once I have 6 adjacent posts I can't really blog there anymore (some sort of forum limitation.) Would it be alright if I put a link to an external blog in my signature?

Thanks.

JevaEngine, Latest Playthrough (This demo is networked with a centralized server model)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWA8bajpVXg
Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-09-22 20:16:57 »

I'm sure you could do that, however I think there is an edit button for your original post. Just try using that and add stuff from there. I think it would probably be better to use an external blog though Smiley

Check out Escaping Vox, a 3D
|\ _\  voxel based puzzler!
 \|_|
Offline wessles

JGO Ninja

Medals: 49
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Coding with bad posture since 2011... Nonstop.

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-09-22 20:17:33 »

I think that that was meant for people that have a project that no one cares about enough to comment on (although IMHO, it does not mean no one cares about it, but cannot elaborate on it). The reason you would have it up on WIP is for people to give suggestions for features, aesthetic, ect. So yes, I think it could be a dev blog.

You don't know nerdiness yet; you haven't even met me!
www.wessles.com
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Jeremy
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-09-22 20:22:32 »

I'm sure you could do that, however I think there is an edit button for your original post. Just try using that and add stuff from there. I think it would probably be better to use an external blog though Smiley

True, but the problem with using the same post to cascade all of the updates together is you get one really big unpartitioned tldr.

Anyway, once you've done five posts, an edit is considered a 6th post (which means you can't edit the posts either) for some reason.

JevaEngine, Latest Playthrough (This demo is networked with a centralized server model)

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 117

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-09-22 20:25:53 »

The rule was put in to prevent people having chains of 10+ posts without responses (cough cough gouessej cough)
It encourages you to make fewer posts about bigger updates rather than a lot of posts about tiny updates.
Offline Jeremy
« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-09-22 20:44:29 »

The rule was put in to prevent people having chains of 10+ posts without responses (cough cough goussej cough)
It encourages you to make fewer posts about bigger updates rather than a lot of posts about tiny updates.

Hmm, well I don't think the number of response is a good gauge for the frequency/size of updates. While it makes sense, IMO the model is a bit broken.

Would it be possible to measure the time between posts instead?

Anyway, the least you could do is allow for someone to edit their final post once they've reached that limit because my thread is virtually in a dead-lock right now :S

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 124
Projects: 7

Team Alluminum

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-09-22 20:59:16 »

If no one is reading your thread, why should we let you update it? Sounds harsh, I know, but if no one is taking an interest afte you've posted 6 times there, then I think you should realize that adding in new updates won't do anything to gain you popularity. Make your updates far less frequent, and bigger so they're more exciting.

Offline Jeremy
« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-09-22 21:26:37 »

If no one is reading your thread, why should we let you update it? Sounds harsh, I know, but if no one is taking an interest afte you've posted 6 times there, then I think you should realize that adding in new updates won't do anything to gain you popularity. Make your updates far less frequent, and bigger so they're more exciting.

Your argument makes no sense.

The number of responses isn't at all directly proportional to the number of readers. A responder must be a reader, but a reader usually isn't (and statistically isn't) usually a responder. Additionally, news posts don't always warrant a response.

Finally, that isn't the main motivation of a development blog (discussion)

My thread has been read ~600 times, and has been responded to 0 times. The services are delegated across various web-platforms as well. Hence, attempting to relate replies to reads doesn't make much sense at all.

My blog posts on game jolt usually have an average of 16 reads per blog entry, and no response. Noting the only way to discover one-another is by finding one and reading the others. Just because a user does not engage in a conversation with you doesn't mean they aren't interested in what you've posted. This model is well adopted in virtually every website that posts news\updates\etc...

This thread has 80 views, and 6 responding posts. Will those viewers likely return regardless to their participation in the discussion? Likely.

Do you respond to most of the threads you read? Probably not.

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 124
Projects: 7

Team Alluminum

« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-09-22 21:57:19 »

Sorry, thats not what I meant at all. Besides, my point still stands because if your game is cool, people will comment. If you've updated your thread that much and people still aren't responding, you obviously need to shake it up. Sorry, but most people arent going to care about a game unless your game is awesome. If people aren't responding, its probably because they just dont care enough to respond. Its just the truth.

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 212
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

If it wasn't Awesome, it wasn't me.

« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-09-22 22:03:31 »

Shorter posts (text-wise) with a screenshot or two are easier to respond to.

In simplest form:

Today I did _______

[relevant screenshot]

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Jeremy
« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-09-22 22:13:43 »

Sorry, thats not what I meant at all. Besides, my point still stands because if your game is cool, people will comment. If you've updated your thread that much and people still aren't responding, you obviously need to shake it up. Sorry, but most people arent going to care about a game unless your game is awesome. If people aren't responding, its probably because they just dont care enough to respond. Its just the truth.

True, but still, the point of a development blog isn't to make it cool so people respond (most things early in development aren't cool, especially an engine in development.) It may also appeal to others without provoking a response. I've had several members from GameJolt contact me about JevaEngine (seen on this forum) and they have not responded to the respective thread.

With a development blog, you can provide a link to individuals which documents all the work you've done on the engine and helps potential team members guage progress and determine how mature the project is. It gives a detailed description of the thought-process into the project. That is the real purpose behind a development blog. It is not a typical news article for potential users.

Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 606
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-09-22 22:25:41 »

True, but still, the point of a development blog isn't to make it cool so people respond
In short: JGO is a forum. We're here to interact, if that doesn't happen in certain projects/threads, this forum doesn't seem to be the appropriate place.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Jeremy
« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-09-22 22:27:31 »

True, but still, the point of a development blog isn't to make it cool so people respond
In short: JGO is a forum. We're here to interact, if that doesn't happen in certain projects/threads, this forum doesn't seem to be the appropriate place.

Then the WIP Section is not appropriate for a development blog.

That answers my question.

Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-10-06 16:50:51 »

Hi

The rule was put in to prevent people having chains of 10+ posts without responses (cough cough goussej cough)
Please can you avoid misspelling my pseudonym? You have forgotten one 'e', it's "gouessej", not "goussej". If you spell it correctly, my bots will detect your posts about me which is better for me, you probably know why... I'm more satisfied by Riven's answer which is crystal clear.

@Jeremy Let us know when you plan to start a new development blog  Grin

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 117

« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-10-06 18:44:13 »

Alright changed it Grin
Offline cylab

JGO Knight

Medals: 34

« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-10-07 09:46:18 »

If you spell it correctly, my bots will detect your posts about me (...)
Shocked Oh my... err... this is satire, isn't it? Roll Eyes

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline Jeremy
« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-10-07 10:01:49 »

You can flatten posts by removing your old posts, appending them to previous posts and then posting a reply.

This thread shouldn't still be alive, I was satisfied with Riven's answer.

Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-10-07 21:55:05 »

If you spell it correctly, my bots will detect your posts about me (...)
Shocked Oh my... err... this is satire, isn't it? Roll Eyes
It isn't. The reputation management on the Internet has become a societal issue and I use a pseudonym very close to my full name here. Sorry for the off topic, Jeremy is right.

Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 606
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-10-07 22:06:18 »

If you want, I can change your username and all occurences of your username and real first & last name in every message.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (64 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (62 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (75 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (58 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (76 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (101 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (161 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (256 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (209 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (216 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org