Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (550)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  I just found the best IDE  (Read 5030 times)
Offline K.I.L.E.R

Java games rock!

« Posted 2004-01-08 09:16:04 »

http://www.gexperts.com/index.html

Gel is the best IDE I have used from all the IDEs yet.
Eclipse
JCreator
NetBeans
JEdit

It has the .NET look and feel as well. Gel isn't multi-platform though, only Windows users can run it.
If you are a Windows user you will want Gel.

Gel is just so damn flexible and fast.
It has the most beautiful interface and I feel so comfortable using it.

I urge you to at least try it. You will not regret it.

Vorax:
Is there a name for a "redneck" programmer?

Jeff:
Unemployed. Wink
Offline aldacron

Medals: 9
Exp: 16 years

Java games rock!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-01-08 10:28:38 »

I'm going to take it for a drive. I doubt it will usurp Eclipse from my desktop for the heavy stuff, but I'm already feeling my small project IDE (JCreator) is about to get zapped.
Offline K.I.L.E.R

Java games rock!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-01-08 10:41:37 »

JCreator is a great IDE, especially with it's flexibility and look and feel and it's got an instant load time.

Gel has obviously been made with someone who has:
A. An obsurd amount of time on their hands
B. A lot of team members

JCreator is a small project. Gel is a large project. Gel has only been around since 19 March 2003 but it has come very far in that time, much further than many other IDE's which can only point to 1 thing:
See second paragraph.

Vorax:

Jeff:
Unemployed. Wink
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Herkules

Friendly fire isn't friendly!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-01-08 14:26:08 »

Gel looks nice .... if I only could bring it to work.....

HARDCODE    --     DRTS/FlyingGuns/JPilot/JXInput  --    skype me: joerg.plewe
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-01-08 17:01:39 »

No refactoring tools... bummer.

It is nice looking.. specially for the size which is an order of magnitude smaller than Eclipse.

I think similar to above.. maybe I will try it for my smaller projects where I otherwise would have fired up jEdit.  I don't think I will replace Eclipse with it soon.

Offline K.I.L.E.R

Java games rock!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-01-08 22:08:28 »

No rafactoring tools?

http://www.gexperts.com/plugins.html

Integrates the refactoring capabilities of JRefactory into Gel. To use this plugin, you need to download JRefactory and copy the jrefactory.jar into Gel/plugin along with this plugins jar.

Cheesy

Vorax:

Jeff:
Unemployed. Wink
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-01-09 00:47:21 »

Ah.. cool.  I will have to try that.

Offline Herkules

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-01-09 06:09:30 »

Nobody had the problem that it refuses to compile anything ('invalid handle' or so)? That it forgets about the project?

The tool look really nice, but it totally refuses to do anything useful for me.

Sad

Offline Herkules

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-01-09 07:01:28 »

Hm, gave it a try @work in NT4, and there I could bring it to work easily .... think I'll have to check @home again....

Offline Golthar

;)

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-01-09 16:56:53 »

They'll have to pry Eclipse out of my dead hands first

come visit us: http://www.otf1337.com
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline K.I.L.E.R

Java games rock!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-01-09 23:03:28 »

They'll have to pry Eclipse out of my dead hands first

That can't be hard, can it?

Vorax:

Jeff:
Unemployed. Wink
Offline misterX

java forever!

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-01-11 15:51:43 »

Gel has my vote too!
JCreator LE is a bit too light, and the others are too heavy for my taste... Gel is just right, cool.
Offline whome

Carte Noir Java

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-01-14 18:02:54 »

http://koti.mbnet.fi/akini/java/docs/javaide.html
Gel is a good choice on lowend machines with less than 512MB memory. But if you have a decent machine then Eclipse or similar will give load of useful features.
Offline Golthar

;)

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-01-16 10:52:26 »

I used to run eclipse on a machine with 396 mb memory.
Patience is a virtue they say

come visit us: http://www.otf1337.com
Offline aldacron

Medals: 9

Java games rock!

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-01-16 13:06:33 »

I'm running Eclipse on a machine with 192MB RAM (a 128 and a 64 chip, go figure), and it runs just fine.
Offline cfmdobbie

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-01-18 09:38:11 »

I'm on 128MB Tongue

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline DaveLloyd

Making things happen fast with Java!

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-01-18 14:44:19 »

Heresy! It's not written in Java!  Wink

But seriously, one of the things I value in NetBeans and Eclipse is that they are both platforms bigger than simple IDEs and that they can self-host stuff you are debugging be it a IDE extension or a Java web server like Tomcat, is awesomely useful. My only complaint against Eclipse is the lack of 'big project' state - i.e., only one user context - oh and the SWT (I'm a Swing fan).

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-01-18 21:30:56 »

My only complaint against Eclipse is the lack of 'big project' state - i.e., only one user context - oh and the SWT (I'm a Swing fan).

Just to pick up on that comment - what kind of "big project" state are you talking about?

Things like launch configurations can be stored in configuration files, library locations can be configured via variables and adjusted on each machine, and shared Ant scripts can be used for build tasks.  What other things would you find useful?  Or have I misunderstood your comment?

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-01-18 22:57:07 »

Been using JBuidler for a bit now...

I'm at the point where if you want me to stop using it you'll have to pry it otu of my cold-dead hands Smiley

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline DaveLloyd

Making things happen fast with Java!

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-01-19 07:37:07 »

Just to pick up on that comment - what kind of "big project" state are you talking about?

Things like launch configurations can be stored in configuration files, library locations can be configured via variables and adjusted on each machine, and shared Ant scripts can be used for build tasks.  What other things would you find useful?  Or have I misunderstood your comment?

It may be I'm missing something in Eclipse. With NetBeans when I switch to a different project, all my mount points change, a different set of files are visible in the editor, even the window layout and menu bindings can change. Whereas with Eclipse I have all my 'projects' visible at once (here a project is just a directory mount) which can get quite messy when I have several complex projects on the go.

But if there's a way to doing this with Eclipse I'd love to know!

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-01-19 11:47:30 »

But if there's a way to doing this with Eclipse I'd love to know!

There are several ways of coping with that situation:

Firstly, you can just close all the projects you don't need, turning them into closed-folder icons.  They don't go away, but they stay out of your way.

Secondly, you can hide them - either close them and filter out closed projects, or create a working set just containing the projects you're currently dealing with.  This removes them entirely from the view, but if you're changing global workspace settings you'll be affecting them in some way.

The third and cleanest way is to use multiple workspaces - start eclipse with the "-data c:/path/to/workspace" option.  This allows you to configure several different shortcuts that operate in entirely different worlds - no changes you make in one will affect the other, excepting changing the Eclipse or Java installation, or modifiying external libraries.

Depending on what you're after you can use a couple of these techniques together.  My webdev and game-dev workspaces are entirely seperate, but within game-dev I'll probably only have one project open at a time, the rest I leave closed.

Edit: But I can't solve the SWT problem, sorry! Grin

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-01-19 12:51:51 »

The third and cleanest way is to use multiple workspaces - start eclipse with the "-data c:/path/to/workspace" option.  This allows you to configure several different shortcuts that operate in entirely different worlds

If anyone knows how to do this with the Mac version let me know.  "Shortcuts" on the mac are just symlinks... there is no place for parameters.   Since Mac apps don't have the concept of command line parameters this is awkward.  The workspace folder is specified in an xml config file for the Eclipse application.  There is only one such file.

I will try the working set and hide filter ideas though.  Now to find how to create a working set...

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-01-19 13:26:58 »

The workspace folder is specified in an xml config file for the Eclipse application.  There is only one such file.

fx:sound of a thousand hands hitting a thousand foreheads.

Doh! Roll Eyes  That's an interesting enough question that I'll have a look myself.  The documentation at eclipse.org is frankly shameful, and the mailinglists aren't worth trawling through, but the answer must be out there somewhere!

Edit: Looks like you're out of luck.  Back in 2002 it was commented that the whole "-data" concept should be fixed, but obviously nothing happened about it.  The best advice I can find is to duplicate the Eclipse application bundle, so you have a different Eclipse "installation" per workspace.  Which sucks. Sad

I will try the working set and hide filter ideas though.  Now to find how to create a working set...

In case you relish the chase and don't want me to spoil it, I'll post the answer in pig-Latin:

Inway ethay ackagepay explorerway, ickclay ethay ownday arrowway inway ethay enumay arbay.  Ickclay "Electsay Orkingway Etsay", "Ewnay", "Avajay", andway eckchay ethay ojectspray ouyay antway.

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #23 - Posted 2004-01-19 14:00:17 »

I really want the multiple workspace thing... since it is great when I have two copies of the same project.  E.g. development and maintenance branches.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 362
Projects: 3

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #24 - Posted 2004-01-19 19:28:34 »

You can do that in Eclipse just fine. The CVS integration is excellent too for that kind of thing.

Is it just me or is cvsnt a bit flaky compared to the unixy version?

Cas Smiley

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #25 - Posted 2004-01-20 01:06:46 »

To do that with Eclipse I have to name the project differently and put them in the same workspace.. at least if I want to work efficiently with the Mac version.

If my source repository has a 'development' folder and a 'maintenance' folder with the same folder names (one for each project) underneath those, then it seems that Eclipse doesn't handle that well.  It likes to have the project folder in the root of the workspace.

Now that I think about it, I guess there might be a way to force it to use a particular folder that is deeper in the workspace... I'm not sure.

Of course this is really only theoretical for me at this point. I use SourceSafe (there is a nice plugin for Eclipse) on Windows for my main work development.  (I can't access SourceSafe from the Mac at all.  I don't use CVS because from what I have seen it is harder to use and lacks features.  I'm would try Subversion but it didn't build on my Mac last time I tried.)

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #26 - Posted 2004-01-20 08:33:08 »

We like theoretical. Grin

In Eclipse's CVS view you should be able to drill down and select any particular folder for checkout.  Also, you should be able to check any folder out into a project of any name you choose.

Nesting projects is a bit harder - I don't think it allows that, does it?  Regardless, you'd probably be better off keeping the branches in seperate locations and modifying the reference to whichever you're currently using instead.  But I don't know your situation/setup!

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #27 - Posted 2004-01-20 16:47:33 »

Regardless, you'd probably be better off keeping the branches in seperate locations and modifying the reference to whichever you're currently using instead.

Doesn't this come full circle back to the original problem?

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #28 - Posted 2004-01-20 23:55:44 »

(Note to self: stop misspelling "separate", you moron!)

Ah, no.  I mean "separate" as opposed to "nested" - check the two branches out into their own (differently named) "projects" in the same workspace.  Any project that uses this code but needs to be able to switch between branches can use classpath variables, project dependencies etc to do so.  I haven't tried this myself, but I have a feeling it would "work".

Unfortunately this is rather contrived and a bit of a hack, but I can't think of a cleaner way of doing it right now.  Anyone?

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 362
Projects: 3

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #29 - Posted 2004-01-28 09:22:51 »

Strikes me the only problem that there actually is is calling the folders the same names...

Cas Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CopyableCougar4 (14 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (28 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (25 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (23 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (15 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (22 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (61 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (39 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (31 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (37 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org