games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  I HATE coffee  (Read 9742 times)
Offline Jeremy
« Posted 2013-08-30 08:47:06 »

It is the only way to keep me up, but every time I have a cup of coffee (or even 1/4th a cup saturated with lots of milk) I get a disgusting feeling in my stomach and I feel like throwing up. Additionally, I get really shaky and incredibly easily frustrated with bugs in my code (and find it difficult to study the actual bug)

I feel the need to express this because of my current situation (staying up late - on coffee)

JevaEngine, Latest Playthrough (This demo is networked with a centralized server model)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWA8bajpVXg
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 310
Projects: 11
Exp: 3 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-08-30 08:53:08 »

Then don't drink coffee?

Offline Grunnt

JGO Kernel

Medals: 95
Projects: 8
Exp: 5 years

Complex != complicated

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-08-30 08:56:47 »

Coffee is bad for you. Coffee is bad for your digestion, too much coffee makes you sleep poorly (which in itself is cause of a lot of problems).

I do like a cup of coffee though, but I try not to drink more than 2 cups a day, and never after 3 pm.

Instead of drowning in coffee, how about drinking tea and sleeping well?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline nerb
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-08-30 08:57:02 »

Give chinese green or black tea a go. Keeps me awake for a long time, but possibly without the problems your having.

...Alternatively, just go to sleep???
Offline Jeremy
« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-08-30 08:57:46 »

Then don't drink coffee?

It is the only way to keep me up

.                                       .

Tea is a good idea though.
Coffee is bad for you. Coffee is bad for your digestion, too much coffee makes you sleep poorly (which in itself is cause of a lot of problems).

I do like a cup of coffee though, but I try not to drink more than 2 cups a day, and never after 3 pm.

Instead of drowning in coffee, how about drinking tea and sleeping well?

True, but there are a lot of studies which argue otherwise:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_coffee

There are pros and cons to it.

JevaEngine, Latest Playthrough (This demo is networked with a centralized server model)

Offline elamre
« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-08-30 09:03:34 »

I always eat pure chocolate to stay awake. Its not much better than coffee. But apparently its healthy to eat some chocolate and it makes you feel happier.

My projects:
Tower Defence!]http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/iconified/25690/view.html]Tower Defence! [lll.......] 30%!
Lightsnakerider! [llllll....] 60%!
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 434
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-08-30 09:11:21 »

The only solution I'm afraid is to break the addiction cycle with caffeine. It's painful; 3 days of pounding headaches and irritability, then weeks of intense cravings. But eventually you'll kick the habit.
Don't discount the probability that the milk is actually making your stomach churn, not the coffee.

Cas Smiley

Offline heisenbergman

JGO Coder

Medals: 14

L___ o_ G___ a__ P___

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-08-30 09:12:08 »

If the situation is that you have no choice but to stay up and can't get any more sleep for yourself no matter how you rearrange your schedule, I think coffee might be your best option.

Another option would be Coke, which has caffeine and sugar, but has no health benefits in any way.

Similarly, energy drinks would also do the trick, but are harmful for your body.

Offline heisenbergman

JGO Coder

Medals: 14

L___ o_ G___ a__ P___

« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-08-30 09:15:58 »

I'm curious though - what's your daily schedule like that you have to force yourself to stay up instead of resting and continuing after you've gotten rest?

I drink coffee for similar reasons twice a day: Once in the morning to give me a jolt for work, and then again in the afternoon, but when the night comes and I'm sleepy, I sleep.

Offline jonjava
« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-08-30 09:19:35 »

Once you go black - you never go back.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-08-30 09:21:38 »

Probably best to avoid messing with your natural sleeping habits unless neccessary.

Online NegativeZero

JGO Knight

Medals: 47
Projects: 2

Zero but not.

« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-08-30 10:19:12 »

Well I recently read (sorry I cannot sauce upon this) that an apple gives you the equivalent amount energy that a coffee would, while being much more healthy as a whole.

Hope you like apples, mate.
Offline Grunnt

JGO Kernel

Medals: 95
Projects: 8
Exp: 5 years

Complex != complicated

« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-08-30 10:31:14 »

True, but there are a lot of studies which argue otherwise:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_coffee

There are pros and cons to it.

It's a really weird article on wikipedia.. The only research mentioned in the intro:
A May 2012 study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that coffee drinkers "who drank at least two or three cups a day were about 10 percent or 15 percent less likely to die for any reason during the 13 years of the study."[1] The researchers who conducted the study said that this does not necessarily provide a cause-and-effect relationship, but will help point other researchers in the right direction

In other words: this research is completely meaningless as it does not establish what is the cause and what is the effect. Maybe people with a high socio-economic status (generally less likely to die, e.g. because they can spend more on healthcare and healthy food) drink more coffee.

Here, I kind of like this summary about health & coffee:
3. Is there an upper limit for the amount of coffee that is healthy to drink each day?

If you’re drinking so much coffee that you get tremors, have sleeping problems, or feel stressed and uncomfortable, than obviously you’re drinking too much coffee. But in terms of effects on mortality or other health factors, for example, we don’t see any negative effects of consuming up to six cups of coffee a day. Keep in mind that our study and in most studies of coffee, a “cup” of coffee is an 8-ounce cup with 100 mg of caffeine, not the 16 ounces you would get in a grande coffee at a Starbucks, which has about 330 mg of caffeine.

Also keep in mind that the research is typically based on coffee that’s black or with a little milk or sugar, but not with the kind of high-calorie coffeehouse beverages that have become popular over the past few years. A 24-ounce mocha Frappachino at Starbucks with whipped cream has almost 500 calories—that’s 25 percent of the daily calorie intake for someone who requires 2,000 calories a day. People may not realize that having a beverage like that adds so much to their energy intake,and they may not compensate adequately by eating less over the course of the day. This could lead to weight gain over time, which could in turn increase the risk of type 2 diabetes, and that’s a major concern.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/coffee/

Still, what bothers me about the research generally quoted in relation to this health research is that being healthy is considered to be "not dead".

If you get shaky, emotionally unstable and get a disgusting feeling in your stomach you are definitely drinking too much coffee. But drinking a few cups of coffee every day is not bad for you per se. (i.e. the nuanced story)

Offline Oskuro

JGO Knight

Medals: 40
Exp: 6 years

Coding in Style

« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-08-30 10:53:16 »

Don't discount the probability that the milk is actually making your stomach churn, not the coffee.

I was going to mention this too. With age, it is normal to become more lactose intolerant (being completely lactose tolerant well into adulthood tends to be the exception rather than the norm). It could be a factor, although you'd be feeling bad when eating any other dairy products, it seems like it isn't the case.

I'm trying to get rid of coffee myself, right now I have no more than 3 cups of decaf a day. I used to drink in between 3 and 5 cups of regular coffee a day and switched to decaf to slowly decrease the dose.

Also, keep in mind that a can of regular Coke has more caffeine in it than a cup of coffee. Try to factor all caffeine intake, not just that from coffee itself.

Alternative sources of caffeine might not make your stomach churn, but the caffeine dose will keep the addiction, and thus the cravings, alive.

Offline Jeremy
« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-08-30 11:36:45 »

I'm curious though - what's your daily schedule like that you have to force yourself to stay up instead of resting and continuing after you've gotten rest?

I drink coffee for similar reasons twice a day: Once in the morning to give me a jolt for work, and then again in the afternoon, but when the night comes and I'm sleepy, I sleep.

Well programming isn't my job nor is it my field of study, so it's constantly being shoved inbetween school work and studying and part-time work. I usually try to get at least 2-4 hours a day worth of work on my project though.

I'm not really a computer science student, even though I am a much better programmer than I am when it comes to hardware - we really don't do a lot of high-level programming in my program. When we do, it's like VHDL, low-level C and Assembly. I.e, it isn't at all relevant to Java or game programming at all.

So really, the only time I get to work on any of my projects is when I stay up late.

Well, that is going to change this year though, I registered a little late for my upcoming semester and subsequently got a much more relaxed semester, so I should have a lot more time to do what I want...

Anyway, I have very small doses of caffine, and typically not even a cup a day (sometimes there will be weeks inbetween me having a coffee.) Maybe I'm just not accustom to its effect.

Online SHC
« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-08-30 11:37:18 »

Drink lot's of milk.

Or ask jerry to paint your eyes!

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-08-30 11:46:14 »

Don't say coffee is bad. Every substance has its own pros and cons-Actually coffee has more pros than cons. However I know lot of people are not suitable with coffee. The main problem is the acid level. Something evil like N*scafe which I drink everyday will absolutely screw up weak stomach. There's option like "true" white coffee whose acid level low but still high on caffeine.

Another solution is pick another source of caffeine, like energy drink or black tea.

Online SHC
« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-08-30 11:52:31 »

Coffee doesn't suit me too. If I drink coffee, I will have a burning sensation in my stomach. What I tried is substitute it with pure milk with no sugar. It'll be tastier if you like it, otherwise try some like boost or horlicks or bournvita.

Also why do you want to stay longer? Sleep is necessary for a man to be healthy.

Offline elamre
« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-08-30 11:54:39 »

nobody needs sleep. Sleep is an activity made up by parents so they had the night alone

My projects:
Tower Defence!]http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/iconified/25690/view.html]Tower Defence! [lll.......] 30%!
Lightsnakerider! [llllll....] 60%!
Online SHC
« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-08-30 11:58:13 »

nobody needs sleep. Sleep is an activity made up by parents so they had the night alone

What are you talking? A man needs proper sleep. While sleeping, the brain would launch it's garbage collector to get some memory to respond faster. While sleeping, our body rests healing any stress we had. Our muscles relax during sleep and since then one feels more strengthier after sleep.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-08-30 12:05:16 »

Also why do you want to stay longer? Sleep is necessary for a man to be healthy.
Not to prevent sleep, but kill out sleepiness. I go bed on 10pm with 8h sleep everyday. But if I don't take caffeine, I will have everything princec said before.

Offline ClickerMonkey

JGO Coder

Medals: 20

Game Engineer

« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-08-30 12:21:20 »

I get a disgusted feeling when I drink coffee in my mouth and stomach.

I only have a cup a day maybe... I think it happens because I actually mentally despise coffee and what it can do to you... I think my brain is protecting me.

My body has a more visceral reaction to alcohol (which I never drink)... I've seen and heard enough things that has made alcohol (even the remote smell of it) extremely repulsive physically.

Your brain and past experiences can make you do/think some crazy (see awesome) things!

Offline Several Kilo-Bytes

Senior Devvie

Medals: 11

« Reply #22 - Posted 2013-08-30 16:13:37 »

Apparently one of the reasons people feel terrible in the morning is because they spent 8 hours plus however many hours before bed without any hydration. Coffee dehydrates you so it makes you feel even worse. The caffeine gives you a little boost before starting to be detrimental but people interpret that as helping and think they need to keep up caffeine intake. It is better just to drink lots of water first thing in the morning and throughout the rest of the day.

People diagnose themselves with an energy deficiency that is alleviated by caffeine so they self prescribe caffeine or energy drinks. Caffeine keeps you awake, but its a defense mechanism for plants that keeps animals away after they try eating it. It's a deterrent in nature but for some reason it is sought out for by people - even when people complain how bad and unproductive it makes them feel!

There are social pressures (at least / especially) in America to drink coffee or a stronger substitute. It's ritualistic, it's demanded because it is associated with hard work, and it is seen as a social act. You are weird if you don't drink coffee. (Americans are also more alcoholic as a society than they like to admit even though social alcoholism for other nationalities is a joke to Americans.) If you live somewhere where people assume you drink coffee or alcohol and it's socially awkward to decline a drink or tell people you don't drink, chances are its more of an addiction and societal pressure for you than a real craving.
Offline Oskuro

JGO Knight

Medals: 40
Exp: 6 years

Coding in Style

« Reply #23 - Posted 2013-08-30 16:18:38 »

Oh, Coffee (as well as tea and many other beverages/foods) can stain your teeth to the point you have to clarify to your dentist that you're not a heavy smoker.

And yes, that is probably the biggest reason I want to stop having coffee. I actually managed to switch to Tea once, but the staining go worse!  Cranky

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #24 - Posted 2013-08-30 21:13:30 »

It's good to note that exercise is a good idea if you find yourself getting tired. While your body feels tired, your brain becomes more active and refreshed.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 841
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #25 - Posted 2013-08-30 21:17:27 »

I found it easy to quit my coffee habit cold turkey - didn't even have any headaches or cravings - then again, I 'only' used to drink 4-5 cups a day.

Then, after about 6 months, I drank one cup, and couldn't help myself staying awake for over 40 hours, programming for 36 hours straight. That caffeine is powerful stuff.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social
Offline namrog84

JGO Ninja

Medals: 46
Projects: 4

Keep programming!

« Reply #26 - Posted 2013-08-30 21:26:42 »

Why do you all hate this wonderful piece of software?

http://www.coffeecup.com/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/coffee-sc/

Huh Huh    Tongue Tongue Tongue  persecutioncomplex persecutioncomplex Stare

/endderailattempt

"Experience is what you get when you did not get what you wanted"
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #27 - Posted 2013-08-31 02:50:51 »

Then, after about 6 months, I drank one cup, and couldn't help myself staying awake for over 40 hours, programming for 36 hours straight. That caffeine is powerful stuff.

This man did it right.

Offline deepthought
« Reply #28 - Posted 2013-08-31 02:57:46 »

I find that Barqs keeps me awake well enough (it's not the caffiene, the carbonation and strong taste keep me awake).
or tea. tea is great too.

jocks rule the highschools. GEEKS RULE THE WORLD MWAHAHAHA!!
captain failure test game
Offline philfrei
« Reply #29 - Posted 2013-08-31 05:49:30 »

Caffeine keeps you awake, but its a defense mechanism for plants that keeps animals away after they try eating it.

Actually, I just heard the opposite. The mental boost from caffeine in pollen can help a bee remember where the flower is.

I wonder if I can find the study, if challenged. I recall it done on one particular flowering plant but I don't recall which, and the experimenters hadn't yet determined if it was in other flowers. But it could be the ironic truth that health-food types trying to be caffeine free but enjoying a boost from bee pollen are actually getting a dose without knowing it.

Found it!
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2013/0307/Caffeine-in-flowers-helps-boost-a-bee-s-memory-say-scientists

And now on to some REALLY bad advice:
When I was pulling all-nighters in college, the only way to keep from getting too many jitters from coffee was to smoke cigarettes. Nicotine seemed to take the edge off, without making one too sleepy.

For some reason I never got addicted to cigarettes and would only use them like this (going through most of a pack in a night along with a full pot or two of coffee at the IHOP) on rare occasions. After a session like this I usually felt so bad after that I wouldn't smoke for the better part of a week. I haven't smoked since my late twenties. I don't recommend cigarettes to anyone prone to addictions or who cares about their lungs, or eyes (MD said it contributed to my father's loss of eye-sight in his old age).

Good talk about sleep on "Fresh Air" last week:
http://www.npr.org/2013/08/15/212276021/of-neurons-and-memories-inside-the-secret-world-of-sleep

Do try to make sleep a higher priority! Lack contributes to burnout, which I bet is the #1 cause of programmers quitting the profession.

"It's after the end of the world! Don't you know that yet?"
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (36 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (29 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (61 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (98 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (58 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (74 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (76 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (136 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (127 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (37 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org