Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  whoa (scrolling frame)  (Read 4651 times)
Offline markuskidd

Medals: 1

« Posted 2002-10-15 23:06:46 »

I must say, this is really awkward to use, and the popup box dosn't help too much. How about a regular browser window, with table widths that scale (as the current popup does). The vertical scrollbar provided by my browser should be sufficient to take care of my scrolling needs  Wink

Other than that, glad to see a modern, full-featured forum system! (returns to usual lurking mode)
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #1 - Posted 2002-10-15 23:21:47 »

Thanks for the feedback.  The idea for the framed look is to keep the site windows consistent and to let people jump on for a quick peek at forum activity.

The popup is there for those that want to view the forum in fullscreen.  As well, the popup allows you to continue surfing while still keeping the forums up   Wink

-Chris

Offline markuskidd

« Reply #2 - Posted 2002-10-15 23:38:51 »

Hrm.. at least could the popup just be a regular link? I need my navigation buttons etc. It looks like you guys have disabled the poll feature of YaBB, but this seems like an excellent topic for a poll once more of the userbase has joined up again
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline BorgKnight

Senior Newbie

Space whales rock!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2002-10-16 00:41:13 »

Hi guys,

Just a regular lurker getting comfy here...
Great job with the overhaul ! Cool

BTW Chris, I just bought that Law And Order game you mentionned a while ago being made in Java/Java3D. Funny thing is, no Java logo is there to be seen on the box... and no mention of a JRE being needed in the manual. Aren't Java game companies required to put the Java logo somewhere in there ?

(I supposed I should just try it, but I ain't got the time right now.)

cheers
BorgKnight

Offline GergisKhan

"C8 H10 N4 O2"

« Reply #4 - Posted 2002-10-16 02:34:29 »

Very nice!  Just one problem I noted... is there a way that the top header could be shrunk?  It seems to be very awkward with a banner that big.

I do like the PopUp though... seems to take care of that.

Congratulations on the overhaul!

gK

"Go.  Teach them not to mess with us."
          -- Cao Cao, Dynasty Warriors 3
Offline augusto

Senior Newbie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2002-10-16 05:42:37 »

Chris,

Congrats on getting a nice message board. I also like the color selection of the new site.

I hate to criticize, but I do find the new website akward tough. It's a page with a scrollbar inside of my browser scrollbar. It's just plain strange.

I imagine in the future you will have articles and the like, are you going to have the scrollable thing below them, I don't know, it's just weird.

As for the popup, it's fine, but oh please, can you make it so it doesn't turn off the browser navigation and menus? It's very annoying to have a browser window and not be able to use any of the browser functionality.

But keep on the good work.

Hey, just saw on TV Sun is going to lay of 8,000. I hope you guys are not hit so bad, specially you and Jeff!
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2002-10-16 06:49:03 »

Ahh nice with a new layout.

some points though:
- the framed browsing of the forum is annoying.
- (nitpicking) the logo's shadow doesn't look entirely great because of the gradient...

Here's for hoping that we get even more users onboard!

Offline Themroc

« Reply #7 - Posted 2002-10-16 11:18:01 »

I agree with what has been said about the popup forum:
make it a regular browser window with back-button etc. No need to hide browser controls.
Offline augusto

Senior Newbie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2002-10-16 15:33:02 »

After playing with the site a bit more, I still don't like the message board insdie of the browser with a scrollbar. I have to manage 2 scrollbars to view and edit messages!

Also, on Mozilla 1.2a (Windows) when the message board frame changes content, the rectangle bounds of it flash a bit.

The new message board looks very nice and it's a great improvement, but why not let the browser scrollbar do it's thing and make this a bit more standard?
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

END OF LINE.

« Reply #9 - Posted 2002-10-16 15:46:01 »

Working on it... Grin

-Chris

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline augusto

Senior Newbie

« Reply #10 - Posted 2002-10-16 16:46:29 »

Sorry to nag about this Chris, we all know what a big effort it is to set this stuff up.

Hey, but like I said, it looks a lot nicer. Can't wait to see what it'll look like with the articles.
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #11 - Posted 2002-10-16 19:49:46 »

Fundamental rule of web design, never, ever, ever, break or remove the users back button, and yet that pop-up does exactly that.  Shocked

I'd like it back please.

The layout and colours are nice though Smiley But it would be nice if it stretched to fit the browser window instead of a fixed width. Forum software seems good as well, and a proper set of code tags now  Grin
public class foo extends bar
{
    public foo()
    {
         // wonder if this works
   }
}

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline desertrock

Senior Newbie

« Reply #12 - Posted 2002-10-16 20:51:44 »

a quick workaround for the scrolling frame:

open the popup, show the page info, copy the url and open it in a regular browserwindow....
.... seems to work fine....

greetings,

holger
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

END OF LINE.

« Reply #13 - Posted 2002-10-16 20:54:34 »

Again, guys......

Thee frames and popup are being fixed.  They will be updated ASAP.  No need to cut and paste (yada, yada, yada)

Working on the stuff as fast as we can.

Thanks!

-Chris

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

END OF LINE.

« Reply #14 - Posted 2002-10-16 22:10:16 »

All,

Fixed the 'Forum Popup' Button so that you now have full navagation in that window.  The revamped Forums page will be launched with the rest of the site.

-Chris

Offline morebrackeen

Senior Newbie

« Reply #15 - Posted 2002-10-17 03:55:15 »

it doesn't look like the popup is fixed... it's missing the menu bar and status bar.

why does it have to be a popup? why not just make it a link? if someone wants it in a separate window, they can click "open link in new window"
Offline ap_kelly

Java rocks!

« Reply #16 - Posted 2002-10-17 06:15:19 »

Hey there, just noticed the new look and feel.

It's very cool, but I'd have to agree with the many comments already on the scrolling frame inside the window, its a little awkward.

Keep up the good work!

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #17 - Posted 2002-10-18 00:24:18 »

Well I'm biased but i justw ant to give Chris a big thanks for researching this and setting it up  Grin

Just the code blocks alone should be a great asset to our community Smiley  (And you guys should see what hes done with the main site, itll be great when its back up and should be far more interractive and stay much more up to date! )

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline morbo

Senior Newbie

« Reply #18 - Posted 2002-10-18 02:04:10 »

Wow...it's like watching an Imax movie! Thanks, Chris.
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

END OF LINE.

« Reply #19 - Posted 2002-10-18 16:51:49 »

No more frames for the forums.

Next things to add:
 - Advanced navagation buttons
 - Site navagation buttons

Coming soon.... Grin

-Chris

Offline augusto

Senior Newbie

« Reply #20 - Posted 2002-10-18 17:05:30 »

Thanks for getting rid of the frames. It's looking fantastic.

When do you guys think you're going to have the articles and other non-forum releated stuff back up?

Also, is there a list of "codes" for this forum. Like what should i use for posting code?
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

END OF LINE.

« Reply #21 - Posted 2002-10-18 17:26:17 »

Augusto,

Turned formatting buttons for posting, should make it very easy now Smiley

We hope to have the full site up and running next week.  Just ironing out the kinks and making sure the formatting is correct, not to mention adding the content Smiley

-Chris

Offline augusto

Senior Newbie

« Reply #22 - Posted 2002-10-18 17:53:55 »

Wow the formatting buttons are [size=2]really[/size] cool.

public void paint(Graphics g)
{
    Graphics2D g2 = (Graphics2D)g;
    g2.setPaint(new GradientPaint(0,0,Color.RED, 100,100, Color.YELLOW);
    g2.fillRect(0,0,100,100);
}

Nice!

<a href="http://flash? wonder what this does ..." target="_blank">http://flash? wonder what this does ...</a>
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

END OF LINE.

« Reply #23 - Posted 2002-10-18 18:00:45 »

The flash tags lets you reference a flash animation from a URL.

-Chris

Offline markuskidd

« Reply #24 - Posted 2003-06-17 17:22:26 »

*please* don't use crazy javascript links to connect to this forum. if users want a new window, they will open a new window for themselves. if i want half of my icons at the top of IE removed from my forum window, i will do it myself. <sigh>

edit: you must resist the web developer's urge! resist!  Kiss
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

END OF LINE.

« Reply #25 - Posted 2003-06-17 18:18:33 »

The intent here is to keep as much of the "Java.Net" branding.  Having other URL's that differ is not maintaining a consistant look and feel.

We will be providing redirectors and further integration as we move forward.  But, for now, this will have to stay.

Sorry!

-SG

Offline markuskidd

« Reply #26 - Posted 2003-06-17 19:40:10 »

I think I was misunderstood. All I am saying is that the link you offer on the .net site shouldn't open a new window via javascript that has some of its features disabled. I have tested the URL by itself by removing your popup code, and it still has all of the java.net branding. Does that make any sense?
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #27 - Posted 2003-06-17 21:46:43 »

The intent here is to keep as much of the "Java.Net" branding.  Having other URL's that differ is not maintaining a consistant look and feel.

We will be providing redirectors and further integration as we move forward.  But, for now, this will have to stay.

Um, but this thread is quite ironic. All those posts from october 2002 (I felt a bit confused by the time warp for a few moments there Wink) which say NEVER TAKE AWAY OUR BACK BUTTON and similar things - and here JGO is repeating that mistake again?

For what very little it's worth, YABB is now working correctly in Mozilla 1.3+ - the formatting is now correct (code boxes used to appear with a dark background in mozilla), thanks for that (it does make a positive difference - it's much easier to read now!).

I can understand a claim that you are forced by marketing people to do this - but this is just like the jokes about how different corporates like to shoot themselves in the head: I'm guessing a lot of people are already REALLY annoyed by having the forums disappear practically over night, with no warning. If a brand manager is holding a gun to your head on this, surely you can explain to them that its not worth alienating the *currently* loyal community?

To be frank, it appears that you have no-one with community-management experience on board at the moment: taking down a forum without notice and without migration ranks right up there as one of the worst possible things to do to your community. I have some respect for what you have achieved, but it makes me wince in pain to see beginner's mistakes like this; you've been to the GDC - did no-one get to attend the community-management lectures? It's not rocket science...

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Riven (18 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (13 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (12 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (31 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (42 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (41 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (29 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (60 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org