Games in Android Showcase (112)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (553)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Beginner-Advanced Developer  (Read 853 times)
Offline scanevaro
« Posted 2013-06-26 14:25:31 »

Hello everyone.
im back here since January where i maked a post asking where to start (http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/a-new-beginner-looking-for-some-help/28522/msg/259653/view.html#msg259653).

In this months i got into game development with Beginning Android Games (Mario Zechner) and Half-Real (Jesper Juul)(this is actually more to design).

When i finished Beginning Android Games, i tried to make a game, as simple game as i could think and i wanted to go for a game like "Mr Driller" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnphMAgy4LI), a fun and entertaining game i would play on my Android when im real bored or waiting for the Doctor.
I found that its quite hard and having a lot of trouble with physics and whatnots.
My conclusion is that i need more experience.

So my question is:
What other projects i could get into? Simpler projects, i need more experience
I have no idea of simpler games to make.

I can also get into a development Team, i have lots of time, I just DONT KNOW where to look for this teams.

Thanks guys
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Profile picture isn't relevant.

« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-06-26 14:33:39 »

Funny, I was at the same point that you are at a month or so ago. Asked about a team, then made a game, and tried to make a more complex game. Seriously, I tried to make a fps after making a simple move around and collide game. Not even a goal. Anyways, I just got started on Horde, which is doing quite well. Just keep messing around, and when you think you have a project you can stick to, go for it! Really, all you can do at this point is keep trying.

Offline xmakina

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-06-26 14:42:04 »

If you're only after projects that will let you flex your coding muscles, then maybe you could try reproducing some of the Variety or Board games on Clubhouse Games? These are all fairly simple, have clearly defined requirements (so you know when you're done) and should be enough of a challenge to make you explore new parts of Java.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline scanevaro
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-06-26 15:26:31 »

Funny, I was at the same point that you are at a month or so ago. Asked about a team, then made a game, and tried to make a more complex game. Seriously, I tried to make a fps after making a simple move around and collide game. Not even a goal. Anyways, I just got started on Horde, which is doing quite well. Just keep messing around, and when you think you have a project you can stick to, go for it! Really, all you can do at this point is keep trying.
Thanks for the response.
Im trying to start low, i just have some dificulty.

If you're only after projects that will let you flex your coding muscles, then maybe you could try reproducing some of the Variety or Board games on Clubhouse Games? These are all fairly simple, have clearly defined requirements (so you know when you're done) and should be enough of a challenge to make you explore new parts of Java.
Thanks!
Im getting ClubHouse Games now and gonna take a look at after LibGDX
Online Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-06-28 14:33:31 »

Don't work in a team to begin with, unless the objective is to learn...
Mr. Driller doesn't seem like too hard of a first project...what are your specific problems?
Offline bcsharp

Senior Newbie

Exp: 6 years

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-06-28 19:36:30 »

scanevero,
I understand what you are saying. I have been there myself, wanting to jump headfirst into a project and never being able to finish it because of lack of experience. What I suggest you do is create a simple game that might be boring, but works. Here are some ideas:
  • A simple physics-based run and jump game
  • A continous game (e.g. no menu, no restarts, no levels, etc.)
  • Look into game examples and modify them
I've actually never tried Android development, so these ideas might not be realistic for that platform, but I hope this helps!

-bcsharp
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-06-28 19:43:49 »

My very first game (and program) was a text-based arena fighting game on the TI-83 graphing calculator. When I learn a new programming language, I often make a simple text-based RPG as my own personal "Hello World." The number of things you need to know how to do are minimal. They could be a great place for you to start.

public class Entity
{
    private int hp;
    private int damage;
    private int chanceToHit;
    private Item weapon;
    private Item armor;
    //etc
}

public class Player extends Entity
{
    private int xLoc;
    private int yLoc;
    private int level;
    private int xp;
    private int gold;
    //etc
}
public class Enemy extends Entity
{
    private int xpValue;
    private int goldDrop;
    //etc
}
public class Level
{
    private Room[][] map;
}
public class Room
{
    private Enemy enemy;
    private Item item;
    private int gold;
    //etc
}

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Alcanteria

Junior Newbie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-07-05 22:07:58 »

I started with the book "Killer Game Programming in Java", as did other people on these forums.  The first two projects are a good way to learn the basics from scratch.  I have the book you referred to and although that is labelled for beginners, I don't like the way it makes you write hundreds of lines of code without testing for the finished game.  I could never bring Mr. Nom to life.

One thing to note about my recommendation: the book does not contain all of the source code as you follow along with it.  It's best to go to the companion site and download all of the code.  I did that and learned more just from looking at that than trying to follow along with the book.

I ended up tearing apart the bug runner game and made my own arcanoid clone. It gave me the chance to add my own gameplay features and taught me a lot.
Offline Longarmx
« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-07-06 03:07:19 »

I made about 20 or so "games" before actually following through and finishing one. Each time I tried to make a new one, everything was a little bit easier than it was before. I also created a bunch of different projects focusing on an aspect of a game (Such as a project on networking, one on file handling, one on menus and GUI components...). I think I learned the most from these kind of projects because I was really able to focus on a specific area that I was having trouble with. I also experimented with different libraries such as: LWJGL, Slick2D, Java2D, and (most recently) LibGDx. I think that you should start experimenting with everything and get a feel for what you like to make and stick with it.

-Longarmx

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

TehJavaDev (17 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (26 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (39 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (36 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (33 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (22 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (33 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (67 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (45 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (36 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org