Squaball  (Read 7751 times)
Offline trollwarrior1
« Posted 2013-06-13 11:09:21 »

Squaball,

the world's first Square Ball.

Available on Desura.

Link:
www.desura.com/games/squaball

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NzUAsydt9LY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/NzUAsydt9LY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Online wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Radirius Software Developer

« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-06-13 13:12:19 »

Best graphics I have seen for a platformer on this forum. Keep up the good work! Seriously, you could greenlight this on steam!

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-06-13 13:16:45 »

Best graphics I have seen for a platformer on this forum. Keep up the good work! Seriously, you could greenlight this on steam!

Wow i'm kinda crying right now although i'm not. Just getting that feeling that I want to cry Cheesy Thank you very much. I will be bringing a lot of content into this game since I'm finished with school.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-06-13 21:00:04 »

Yeah. If I may, here is some ideas fir the game.
Make space the jump button, and get rid of the k key. It was out of pure luck that I found it. Just make the k key into the space bar, and the jump key also in the space bar.
New blocks. Also, like he jump block, make special abilities to some blocks. Like one may make you jump higher, or something...
Overall, good game. It just needs to have more... stuff.

Offline heisenbergman

JGO Coder

Medals: 14

L___ o_ G___ a__ P___

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-06-14 00:40:15 »

Wow, yeah this really has a lot of potential, dude.

The graphics are nice, clean and simple, plus the controls are smooth and tight. I also love the squish-and-stretch effect on the character when it moves.

I also like how the purple parts of the walls make you slow down and that you can jump off them. I sense some Super Meat Boy influence by the way Wink

I enjoyed what I've played of it. Really good work and I look forward to see how this progresses.

Question though: Why is the view so small? Is that a design choice to make the game feel more "claustrophobic" than it would typically be?

EDIT: btw, I'm sure you already know this, but sometimes the main character overlaps through the walls/platforms Smiley

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Medals: 75

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-06-14 05:16:22 »

WOW! 9/10. Great Graphics, Some Super-Meat-Boy stuff in there, great game.

I'm not entirely sure if there's an option to do this, but are you able to turn off the rotation/shaky camera stuff? Giving me a bit of motion sickness.

Either way, great job, can't wait to see more!  Cheesy

Check out #JGO on EsperNet IRC! | Check out the MERCury 2D Java Game Library! | Also, Check out My Site
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-06-14 06:45:45 »

Yeap, Meat Boy lol.

View is small because of small  res. I have kinda made res system, but it doesn't yet work properly. Once I use max res full screen the game runs a lot slower(60 fps is still there though) and you can see a lot more of the map.

You can already turn of map rotation.

Main character overlaps with most left wall and most top wall because of this: integers from -31 to 31 / 32 give me 0. Will fix this some time.
Offline Drenius
« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-06-14 20:12:07 »

It really seemed that it was your intention to make it so confusing.
Well, its giving your game something unique and you should keep it.
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-06-14 20:26:20 »

What confusion are you talking about? o-o You mean like limited light?
Offline Drenius
« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-06-14 20:47:56 »

Yeah, the limited light, the swinging view and the resizing avatar.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-06-14 21:34:31 »

Hmm... Are you using libgdx?

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-06-14 22:04:11 »

Hmm... Are you using libgdx?

LWJGL
Offline dermetfan

Medals: 11

« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-06-15 03:22:24 »

Awesome! I'm really looking forward to updates!

Offline Screem
« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-06-15 15:34:40 »

Wow, really fun game! Took a while to beat the second level, but it was a blast doing so! Cheesy

One thing I noticed while playing is that with the "k" key to jump off purple walls, you effectively make two jump keys and it gets confusing at times. I would eliminate the "k" key altogether (except for selecting menus and the like) and instead have the "w" key both jump from the floor and jump off of purple walls. Just some food for thought. Wink

Offline Drenius
« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-06-15 17:51:01 »

Looked into your .jar and found some more level files. Why arent they included?
Oh, and theres a little bug when colliding with the levels left border.
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-06-15 19:23:36 »

Looked into your .jar and found some more level files. Why arent they included?
Oh, and theres a little bug when colliding with the levels left border.

Levels are not included because they suck. I haven't worked on levels yet. I'm nearly done though. My finished game should have 50+ levels(I hope). I finished making my level editor I think.
As for controls, I will just make options to set them however you want. You will be able fully customize your controls.(I will make "advanced" controls to set any action on any key maybe)
Offline Drenius
« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-06-17 18:32:30 »

This game seems to be an improvement to your former platformer right?
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-06-17 19:08:36 »

This game seems to be an improvement to your former platformer right?

If you're talking to my project "Unnamed" or something, then yes. It is the same shit. Just later version Smiley
Offline NegativeZero

JGO Knight

Medals: 30
Projects: 2

Zero but not.

« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-06-19 06:54:02 »

You should look into using bump maps. I can imagine it would look very good with this lighting thing you've got going on.
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-06-23 09:25:43 »

Check out my latest update video on Squaball @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbm3G8iXz3c&feature=youtu.be

Be sure to follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/squaball
Offline Drenius
« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-06-28 00:08:57 »

Any progress?
Offline heisenbergman

JGO Coder

L___ o_ G___ a__ P___

« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-06-28 04:04:29 »

^ +1

Like, any latest version we could play? Tongue

Online wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #22 - Posted 2013-06-28 05:00:08 »

He said we cannot download it anymore. I think hes gonna sell it. Good for him!

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #23 - Posted 2013-06-28 07:49:22 »

For progress just follow me on twitter or sub to youtube. I will be posting progress there. As for playable version, I plan on selling it so no Sad
Offline heisenbergman

JGO Coder

L___ o_ G___ a__ P___

« Reply #24 - Posted 2013-06-28 07:50:46 »

For progress just follow me on twitter or sub to youtube. I will be posting progress there. As for playable version, I plan on selling it so no Sad

Ayt. How/Where do you plan to sell it (and for how much)?

Online HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 238
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #25 - Posted 2013-06-28 07:53:07 »

He said we cannot download it anymore. I think hes gonna sell it.

No, he's trolling us. It's in his name. Wink

Offline NegativeZero

JGO Knight

Medals: 30
Projects: 2

Zero but not.

« Reply #26 - Posted 2013-06-28 08:14:31 »

Why not release a playable version now, and sell it when you have a more polished and fun version?

This way, you can get really good feedback, including bugs and such. If you just develop the game, you could be making something that you feel is good, yet no-one else likes. Especially if you want to sell it (and moreover, you want it to sell).
Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #27 - Posted 2013-06-28 14:16:24 »

Why not release a playable version now, and sell it when you have a more polished and fun version?

This way, you can get really good feedback, including bugs and such. If you just develop the game, you could be making something that you feel is good, yet no-one else likes. Especially if you want to sell it (and moreover, you want it to sell).

Yes I know, but I can't really do that. This is not minecraft. It's a level based game. I think I could do that, don't know yet.
Offline Drenius
« Reply #28 - Posted 2013-06-28 22:29:56 »

Do you really want to sell it?
Its a good game, thats right, but its not that kind of game that most people would pay for,
because its too small, no matter how much content you're gonna add.
Keep it free and work on it and when you get it to a really serious game, THAN you can think about selling it.
Online wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #29 - Posted 2013-06-28 23:16:56 »

too small, no matter how much content you're gonna add.
Keep it free and work on it and when you get it to a really serious game, THAN you can think about selling it.
To be honest, I would pay for this game. It has superb graphics, creative game play, and much more to offer. He could add a few more effecting tiles, more controls, and tons more! Who wouldn't want to play a meat boy game with more content?

Also, if it is free until he is done, what's to stop people from taking the newest version and then redistributing it? I think that this is a good point to stop the game's demo. It gives the basic idea of the game, and allows for hype of the full release.

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print