games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Squaball  (Read 8442 times)
Online Drenius
« Reply #30 - Posted 2013-06-29 00:21:24 »

Just wanted to say that it isn't the typical kind of game to be sold.

How expensive are you planning to make it?
Offline heisenbergman

JGO Coder

Medals: 14

L___ o_ G___ a__ P___

« Reply #31 - Posted 2013-06-29 01:41:52 »

Do you really want to sell it?
Its a good game, thats right, but its not that kind of game that most people would pay for,
because its too small, no matter how much content you're gonna add.
Keep it free and work on it and when you get it to a really serious game, THAN you can think about selling it.

Confused by these two statements. You say that it's too small no matter how much content is added, but then you say that he can think about selling it when he gets it to become a really serious game? What does "really serious game" even mean?

Don't get me wrong... that may come across as hostile, but I don't mean to be Smiley Actually, I get your point about it maybe being too small a game to sell, but I don't get the "really serious game" part.

FWIW, I agree with keeping it free. I think that there's some wisdom in someone's first released indie game to not be commercial, unless they have industry experience, a reputation/fanbase to bank on or something like that. If you start out making free games rather than commercial ones, you'll have time to build a reputation, connections, experience, goodwill and all that.

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 254
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #32 - Posted 2013-06-29 01:45:36 »

Such platform games as this are not typically sold as there are lots of them (that are usually 'better' too) that can be played free on flash game portals.

To make it a "serious" game would require somewhat unique mechanics, better artwork, possibly a storyline, decent audio (if you don't already have it. I haven't played the game and so can't judge), and lots of polish.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Profile picture isn't relevant.

« Reply #33 - Posted 2013-06-29 05:29:20 »

You know what? He could make money off of this w/out selling it! He could just go here, or here and post it! He could make advertisement money! Lower amount of $ though, seeing as these sites don't get much traffic (as far as I know...). That way it is free to play, and he gets money!
0.75*win | win!

Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #34 - Posted 2013-06-29 06:33:52 »

Wow. Such discussion. Guyz.... Please. I didn't say "I will sell it". I said something like "I plan on selling it" which doesn't mean I will sell it. I will see what can I make out of it. Besides, price won't be 20$ you know... 1 or 2, 3 maybe. DLC Quest has an hour of gameplay and is charged 3 pounds for it. And in my opinion the game doesn't have proper platforming since controls feel really crap for me(Didn't actually play, can't tell). If I feel like this game is too small, I will just make it free. This actually started as LWJGL test project to learn some stuff.

Minecraft also started as a small project. Look at what it has become. You might say that Minecraft was created by a experienced programmer like Notch, but I'm not aiming for millions of sales here. That would be cool if I sold 100 copies. That would mean something to me. Hell 100. 10 would be already awesome Wink
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 132

« Reply #35 - Posted 2013-06-29 07:30:32 »

Platformer with (whatever libraries you're using) is much more standard and easy to develop than a 3d voxel engine built from scratch with lwjgl...
Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #36 - Posted 2013-06-29 07:49:39 »

Yes it is. I'm also using LWJGL.
Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #37 - Posted 2013-07-17 17:58:36 »

Hi, though I haven't posted a single update, I have been working on this game. Not how much I would like I had, but you know, summer is summer lol.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c7r6yuuc4t6x9ga

This is the launcher for game. It will download latest version of the game for you. Since the server is up on my computer, I will turn it off after few people download my game via the client.

I would also like to ask someone, who uses MAC/LINUX for a full system path to Applications like folder. It is called /appdata in windows. It also has to be full path, since I can't find it anywhere on the internet.

(Minecraft uses /libraries/Application Support)I hope you get my point..
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Medals: 79

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #38 - Posted 2013-07-17 18:46:03 »

On GNU/Linux it's normally put inside the home folder.

Something like 'file:///home/user/gamefiles'

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #39 - Posted 2013-07-18 19:33:30 »

I ran it and Norton removed it...  Angry
Got it to work after disabling it though.
Right off the bat, I kinda like the launcher. Makes it look professional. But it says that the server is offline when I try to get the latest version. Sad
So I unchecked the download latest version, and I start. It stops. I try again, and It cant locate the jar file...
Is it just me?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online Drenius
« Reply #40 - Posted 2013-07-18 20:43:08 »

No, getting "No server found." too and without "Install latest version" it just closes.
Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #41 - Posted 2013-07-21 18:58:58 »

That's because I'm not running the server o-o. Those cheap ass anti - virus programs are shit. My launcher uses sockets and writes files to appdata. I see no point in running the server since nobody would use it, and it's very not-secure.
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #42 - Posted 2013-07-21 19:01:30 »

So we no play?   Sad

Online Drenius
« Reply #43 - Posted 2013-07-21 21:42:16 »

What is the server for?
If you just want to access some data you could also just use any free webspace and let the program download the data from there...
Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #44 - Posted 2013-07-22 04:56:49 »

It was for practice for devil sakes.

--------
I will add a link for game in a sec.
------------------
Download for Windows/Linux/Mac/Solaris
(Hm techinal problems till tomorrow)
Online Drenius
« Reply #45 - Posted 2013-07-22 16:29:17 »

It needs external natives and doesn't start when placing them...
What is it?
Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #46 - Posted 2013-07-22 17:23:22 »

It needs external natives and doesn't start when placing them...
What is it?

hmm. The file I was using to upload this works for me. When I download the same file from my own download link it doesn't work o-o
Mhm. I've had a folder of natives on my desktop, that's why it works.. Gonna make this work.. Hopefully.
Online Drenius
« Reply #47 - Posted 2013-07-22 18:01:45 »

It wants a native "Windows\lwjgl.dll", but if it already exists, it throws another error.
Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #48 - Posted 2013-07-22 19:49:40 »

It wants a native "Windows\lwjgl.dll", but if it already exists, it throws another error.

I know what the problem is.. It needs 10+ files to run. I'm the guy who likes to make his game run in 1 file. But I don't see the other way than having to make a folder for my game. Beh Sad

This should work now.. Sorry for RAR file though Sad

http://www.mediafire.com/?6yods36d2zczata
Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #49 - Posted 2013-09-05 05:49:11 »

Summer is out and I have the will to work on the game once more. Made a cool looking tile system and was going to make a nice, new level editor, but I don't think it's worth the time. If you want to check out latest updates of the game, visit www.indiedb.com/games/squaball.

I will update all the info and put some screenshots in about 1 hour from this post.
Online Drenius
« Reply #50 - Posted 2013-09-06 14:34:14 »

There isn't a site by that URL...
Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #51 - Posted 2013-11-01 19:40:51 »

Should be released on Desura somewhere in November 2013.

Could some Moderator transfer this thread to ShowCase?
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 132

« Reply #52 - Posted 2013-11-02 05:03:46 »

Moved to showcase
Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #53 - Posted 2013-11-06 06:27:53 »

Good news! Cheesy

The game will be available on November 8th.

http://www.desura.com/games/squaball
Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #54 - Posted 2013-11-08 19:06:34 »

Yeays!
Squaball is now live! Tongue
Get it here for 2Euros.
www.desura.com/games/squaball
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #55 - Posted 2013-11-08 19:22:41 »

Low on cash, but will buy when I get the chance! Great job!

One more thing, why can't I find a single video of gameplay at all? All of them on youtube say "video is not available."

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Medals: 79

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #56 - Posted 2013-11-08 20:37:34 »

Released on my birthday  Cool

Anyways, I love the look of the game! I'll probably purchase it here in a few Smiley

- Jev.

Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #57 - Posted 2013-11-09 06:23:20 »

Low on cash, but will buy when I get the chance! Great job!

One more thing, why can't I find a single video of gameplay at all? All of them on youtube say "video is not available."

No idea. I can watch any available video.
Online trollwarrior1
« Reply #58 - Posted 2013-12-18 08:13:34 »

Squaball is available for free to play @ desura!

http://www.desura.com/games/squaball
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print