Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  ignore  |  Print  
  Horde 8-Bit Waves Of Death! - [WIP UPDATED JUNE 26 2013]  (Read 20503 times)
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Profile picture isn't relevant.

« Reply #150 - Posted 2013-08-01 06:39:17 »

Hey all! I just wanted to let you know that now I have a website! I made a sub-domain for horde. Here it is: horde.wessles.com. So, now that all of my website and my computer (got linux! Cheesy) have been set up, I can continue horde! Just a little update!

EDIT:
Got rid of the www. in the url. Subdomains... derp

EDIT AGAIN:
Oh yeah, go here: for some other updates. Most of the time... Others, its just me talking, But I talk about my projects, which right now is just horde Smiley: http://www.wessles.com/blogsarticlesrants.php

Offline ags1

JGO Ninja

Medals: 62
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

Make code not war!

« Reply #151 - Posted 2013-08-01 18:44:22 »

Server not found... :-(

Offline drabla

Medals: 5

« Reply #152 - Posted 2013-08-01 18:53:48 »

Hi Wesley.

By default subdomains work without www infront:

http://horde.wessles.com

(you can change this however by adding
ServerAlias www.horde.wessles.com
into your vhost config (if you are running apache as a webserver)

Keep up the good work Wink

P.S.: A small request: Could you please upload the file to your server (i.e. horde.wessle.com/horde1-3-2.zip) instead to such a site as mediafire. Much more clean Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Medals: 79

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #153 - Posted 2013-08-02 06:53:14 »

If you don't want to put it on your server, you should at least copy the target link from the MediaFire Download Button, so the user isn't bloated with ads everywhere.

Also, www.horde.wessles.com is silly. 'horde' replaces 'www', that's how sub-domains work.

Offline Longarmx
« Reply #154 - Posted 2013-08-02 14:12:55 »

The font is a bit hard to read  Undecided  Have you considered a different one?

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 131

« Reply #155 - Posted 2013-08-02 16:07:20 »

You're not even in high school, but you can afford your own webpage? O.o
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Medals: 79

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #156 - Posted 2013-08-02 16:41:55 »

My host does it for free out of generosity.

And yeah, you need to redo the layouting.

You want to avoid making the user scroll down, and MOTHER OF GOD those fonts are huge. Turn it down a little.

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 131

« Reply #157 - Posted 2013-08-02 17:05:43 »

Personal connection?
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #158 - Posted 2013-08-02 19:29:18 »

Also, www.horde.wessles.com is silly. 'horde' replaces 'www', that's how sub-domains work.
Ok, ok, Sorry. I'm new to websites! Oh yeah, got linux working. Using the multiple screens, debugging is DA BEST! in linux. Thanks for the recommendation (we were talking on skype).
You're not even in high school, but you can afford your own webpage? O.o
Yeah, I'm fortunate. I have a 10$ allowance now, for the site. It costs 8 bucks a month for hosting, and part of that 8 is put aside for the annual domain paying. GODADDY FTW
The font is a bit hard to read  Undecided  Have you considered a different one?
Yes, I have. I looked and looked for a new font. WAIT, do you mean my actual website, or horde.wessles? With the actual website, the spaces are too small. So I just need to modify that... If only I was good at typography (font work). Any suggestions? I need a font that says: "I MAKE VIDEO GAMES!" for the main site, and a font that says "ZOMBIES NOW RULE THE WORLD" for horde.wessles.
Hi Wesley.
By default subdomains work without www. in front.

P.S.: A small request: Could you please upload the file to your server (i.e. horde.wessle.com/horde1-3-2.zip) instead to such a site as mediafire. Much more clean Smiley
Sure thing on the first part. Second part, I will do, but remember, I have a limited amount of space. Using godaddy. I will do it soon though.

And yeah, you need to redo the layouting.
You want to avoid making the user scroll down, and MOTHER OF GOD those fonts are huge. Turn it down a little.
KK, I have eclipse and all running on linux now, so I can get to that quickly. And SAARRR-E! I like big fonts? You don't like them? FINE! I'll conform my life to fit your needs, forgetting any will of my own! (jk, but for real, Ill fix it soon Smiley)

Thanks for all the support guys! I am getting back to java now, so then we should have something to talk about!

EDIT:
Oh yeah, almost forgot. Anyone want to make an icon for the application, and website? I suck at pixel art...

Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #159 - Posted 2013-08-02 19:52:47 »

What website engine (I don't know if that is what they are called) are you using for your website?

Also, what Linux distro are you using?

Sorry for the pointless questions, I am just curious.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline RobinB

JGO Ninja

Medals: 44
Projects: 1

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #160 - Posted 2013-08-02 19:54:40 »

With 10 dollar i have unlimited everything (except mail) at hostgator.
(including domain)
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #161 - Posted 2013-08-02 19:55:09 »

What website engine (I don't know if that is what they are called) are you using for your website?

Also, what Linux distro are you using?

Sorry for the pointless questions, I am just curious.

No, no, Its okay. I am happy to share the details! The distro? Is that the theme? I think unity? I don't know too much about linux. Just got it 2 days ago! The website engine? Oh, no, I code it from scratch. No ide. Only b/c all the ide's for html just suck.

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #162 - Posted 2013-08-02 19:56:41 »

(including domain)
LOL, I have mail for free with godaddy.
In fact:
I, wesley laferriere officially endorse godaddy.com, for the best domain and hosting service on the web!
Godaddy stock probably just rose 50 pts.  Cool

Offline RobinB

JGO Ninja

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #163 - Posted 2013-08-02 19:58:22 »

(including domain)
In fact:
I, wesley laferriere officially endorse godaddy.com, for the best domain and hosting service on the web!

Many people dont Smiley
Really, they got some bad reviews.
Offline drabla

Medals: 5

« Reply #164 - Posted 2013-08-02 20:00:14 »

"unlimited bandwith and disk space" *cough* yeah, sure Wink

@ Wesley :

With Distro he means Linux Flavor, for example, Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Archlinux

Web Engine, A.k.a Webserver is the application you use to serve your website to users. Like Apache, nginx, ...

Btw i would not endorse sth i just happen to know for some small time Wink
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #165 - Posted 2013-08-02 20:00:24 »

(including domain)
In fact:

Many people dont Smiley
Really, they got some bad reviews.
Well, the customer support is amazing. They know their stuff! I have'nt ever had a problem with them! Only a technical issue with the html! They are the best! Plus, free email! What more could I ask!?

Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #166 - Posted 2013-08-02 20:01:15 »

By web engine I actually meant using only HTML, using Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, Jekyll, or anything else.  Speaking of that,

I don't see the huge point in buying a fully-fledged domain if you only are going to use static HTML (which to me it sounds like that is what you are using).  I think GitHub Pages with Jekyll would work nicely.  I've found it to when using it the past few days.  You should look into Ruby on Rails or Sinatra or something - they could make web development insanely easier for you.

Also, I understand your Linux distro is Ubuntu.  You set up a true dual-boot?  Back when I used Ubuntu I just used WUBI, then I grew to hate Unity, so I moved to Fedora.  I assume you installed Eclipse with sudo apt-get install eclipse?
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #167 - Posted 2013-08-02 20:05:08 »

By web engine I actually meant using only HTML, using Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, Jekyll, or anything else.  Speaking of that,

I don't see the huge point in buying a fully-fledged domain if you only are going to use static HTML (which to me it sounds like that is what you are using).  I think GitHub Pages with Jekyll would work nicely.  I've found it to when using it the past few days.  You should look into Ruby on Rails or Sinatra or something - they could make web development insanely easier for you.

Also, I understand your Linux distro is Ubuntu.  You set up a true dual-boot?  Back when I used Ubuntu I just used WUBI, then I grew to hate Unity, so I moved to Fedora.  I assume you installed Eclipse with sudo apt-get install eclipse?

No, dont use the standard. It is for all program languages. Go to the eclipse website, download the thing, and then extract. Then just run the file! I don't see why anyone would use terminal for that. It is so much easier to just extract. Plus, terminal crashes when I run the tar command.

And I USE PHP, CSS, AND HTML. I just say html, since it pretty much is self explanatory that I use other things. And I need hosting, because I don't host from home. My mom said I can't anymore... I ran a MC server for a while, and nearly fried our router. Sad And plus, it's easier, and I am not losing any money from hosting. Just that my allowance is now 2$ a month. And I don't buy that often, so its cool Cool

Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #168 - Posted 2013-08-02 20:07:40 »

Using the terminal is as simple as writing the command and typing 'y' and pressing enter... Then it takes care of everything for you.  I don't see how that isn't super easy.  Using the terminal doesn't even require tar.  Besides, auto updates are nice.

Ah, yes, PHP would require more than GitHub Pages, so your website is worth your purchase.  Still, because you have a domain already I highly suggest playing with Ruby on Rails or Sinatra sometime - you may find them to be very lovely.
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #169 - Posted 2013-08-02 20:09:59 »

Another day... Another day. I NEED to get back to horde for a bit, or else I will stick too much to web dev. I have built up too much hype to quit horde or java now. Plus, horde is fun!

Offline RobinB

JGO Ninja

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #170 - Posted 2013-08-02 20:23:38 »

"unlimited bandwith and disk space" *cough* yeah, sure Wink

@ Wesley :

With Distro he means Linux Flavor, for example, Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Archlinux

Web Engine, A.k.a Webserver is the application you use to serve your website to users. Like Apache, nginx, ...

Btw i would not endorse sth i just happen to know for some small time Wink

Haha sure it is not really unlimited, but as long you keep on average use, you dont have any hard limits.
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #171 - Posted 2013-08-02 20:32:13 »

PPL hate godaddy?!  Shocked !
Seriously, what do ppl hate about godaddy? I have not had a serious problem yet!

Offline CodeHead

JGO Knight

Medals: 41

From rags to riches...to rags.

« Reply #172 - Posted 2013-08-02 21:09:37 »

(including domain)

Bluehost has that beat by half and is pretty comparative service wise. I maintain a couple of business sites hosted there from time to time and haven't ever had any problems with them.

PPL hate godaddy?!  Shocked !

They seem to have picked up a negative reputation for some reason, but I've had multiple domain names managed by them for well over 5 years and never had an issue with their service or support. Maybe those people aren't huge Danica Patrick fans. Pointing Haters going to hate. LOL

Arthur: Are all men from the future loud-mouthed braggarts?
Ash: Nope. Just me baby...Just me.
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #173 - Posted 2013-08-02 21:13:47 »

Ha, nascar! (That is, nah-scah-r).
I did not know that godaddy had a nascar racer! Hm... I doubt anyone here likes nascar (jk, I watch it every day. It's cool.).

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #174 - Posted 2013-08-02 21:32:58 »

Ok, to everyone who critiscised the previous design of the website, here is the new design
I tried the best I could, but I just can't find a good zombie font. If you have a font recommendation, just reply, because I agree this one sucks.

Offline CodeHead

JGO Knight

« Reply #175 - Posted 2013-08-02 21:43:18 »

You need to fix your URL in your last post (you had a space at the beginning of the URL which translates to a %20 and you left the colon out of the http:// prefix). For quick reference http://horde.wessles.com.

The layout looks better and is a bit easier to read. My only suggestion would be to maybe consider swapping the link and plain text colors. As it stands now, that shade of red for the main font is somewhat hard on the eyes. Swapping the colors would make it a bit easier to read, and as a bonus, your links would pop a bit more. Cool

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #176 - Posted 2013-08-02 21:44:56 »

Will do! Sorry, I think that I suck at linking! Probably just something I ate for breakfast... I had raw egg Evil

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #177 - Posted 2013-08-02 21:48:15 »

Wait, its this site... I have been coding in html a lot today, so I put the url in quotes... So when I do
(url="http://horde.wessles.com")(url)
(using parenthesis to block html)
It turns it into:
(url=http://"http://horde.wessles.com")(url)
So yeah, that's the problem. I just took out the quotation marks.

Offline CodeHead

JGO Knight

« Reply #178 - Posted 2013-08-02 21:49:29 »

Got to love BBCode. Works like a charm now. Grin

Offline RobinB

JGO Ninja

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #179 - Posted 2013-08-02 22:19:15 »

As your site font i suggest using an standard font for readability.
Also try adding some (white) background behind your text.

You want to bring an message with your site, so make sure people can read this.
Try to get some hirarchy with your site (using a single layout for all of your pages).

The updates for exaple could look better like this (ignore the quote from.. part)

Quote from: Horde 1.3.2
Now with wizards!
And some neat sounds to go with!

Download (add a nice graphic (zombie) image

Older updates

My hands are itching to rebuild your page haha Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Dwinin (23 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (56 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (69 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (34 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (56 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (40 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (25 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (31 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (31 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19

mitcheeb (39 views)
2014-09-04 23:08:59
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org