Games in Android Showcase (121)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  How did you start the career as a Game Dev?  (Read 3950 times)
Online SHC
« Posted 2013-06-06 02:35:27 »

I've just completed my schooling and have written engineering entrance. The results are ok so that I can get admission into a 'B' grade collage. I'm thinking of taking CSE (Computer Science And Engineering). I want to become a Game Developer. What did you all did to become game developer?

I already learnt programming basics in C, C++, Java, C# and VB.Net. What should I do inorder to become a GameDev?

Offline alaslipknot
« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-06-06 02:54:42 »

i have no experience to answer you but i think it depends on what you mean by a "career as a Game Dev"

if you want to be an indie game developer like TeamMeat, Notch or  the guys from PuppyGames ( Roll Eyes
then all you need is keep learning until you reach the level when you are able to achieve your ideas with or without a team, and that's it, you publish your game (they say that's the shitty part) and hope that your game success .

in the other hand, if you want to work for a game dev studio (big or small one) i think a degree in software engineering is necessary, cause there is many people who want a job like that, there is even schools and college specialized to give game development degrees so things must be very challenging, so like any other job, you need a degree and some things to show to your boss, in your case i think game prototypes just to show your boss what you are able to do .

hope i helped 

"It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time."
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 350
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-06-06 03:11:21 »

What I enjoy doing sometimes is looking at games studios' careers pages and seeing what the requirements are.
Nothing makes me feel more stupid Sad

For example, Naughty Dog just announced their June positions: http://www.naughtydog.com/work/

I feel retarded already Cry

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online SHC
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-06-06 03:15:49 »

Thanks alaslipknot for answering. I am thinking to get a job as a game programmer in a studio. There are collages for Game Programming Degree in our area but I doubt them since I know some who studied in those and having no job still. The degree is useless or it's a fake degree. So I've applied to the government engineering collages and in the web options, I gave the priorities to

• CSE - Computer science Engineering
  • ECE - Electronics and Communications Engineering
  • EEE - Electronics and Electrical Engineering

Using the first two, I can get into the software industry and a large placements are offered at the end. The latter is just to get a good job with a nice salary which is having a large number of jobs. There is so much of competition in getting admissions (Nearly 16 lakh people write the entrance) but I had enough rank (63519) to get into 'B' grade collages i.e., Collages held by the government of the state.

If I had not got admission in the software industry admittable cources, I'm ready to work as a Indie Programmer but doing it as a hobby.

Offline Troncoso

JGO Coder

Medals: 20

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-06-06 03:21:11 »

What I enjoy doing sometimes is looking at games studios' careers pages and seeing what the requirements are.

For example, Naughty Dog just announced their June positions: http://www.naughtydog.com/work/

Would you look at that. I about qualify for the gameplay developer. I'd need to brush up on my 3D graphics. Man, that seems like it would be fun to do. I would love to be able to just program the actual game engine/mechanics/functionality while other people supplied the art, models, audio, etc. to be used in the game.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-06-06 03:24:11 »

I have excellent math and 3D skills, but not good enough C/C++ knowledge. Also I've never even played a game on a PS3 before :S

Offline Troncoso

JGO Coder

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-06-06 03:26:23 »

My math is fine, I'm pretty beast at C, and C++ by extension. I've had a PS3 for 6 years, and I've even got the CS degree.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-06-06 03:28:14 »

1. Have will to make game

Online SHC
« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-06-06 03:30:29 »

I think I'm going to study CSE and I'll try out for a job in a game studio while working at any software company. If I had found a satisfactory job for me, I'll switch my job.

Offline Troncoso

JGO Coder

« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-06-06 03:36:19 »

If you are lucky enough to get a software dev job, keep it for a year or two. The experience will be invaluable. Game Studios will be more willing to hire you even if your experience is towards developing games specifically. Not to mention, it looks bad on a resume if you only kept a career position for a couple months.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-06-06 15:51:07 »

Well, your experience is in Java, so you may need to build up some more experience in C++ for most of the big game studios to consider you.  Other than that, I wouldn't sell yourself short though: hardly any applicant meets every single item listed in the requirements, and what they're looking for is someone who is likely to learn the rest of the stuff quickly.  You certainly have the math skills and plenty of experience in OpenGL, and those are foundation skills that count for a lot more than knowing some engine or tool.

As for experience: by the time you graduate college, the PS4 will have been out for years, which should be far more approachable both in terms of technology (no more weird Cell architecture) and in terms of barriers to entry.  Plus there's always Android and iOS, which are free and dirt cheap to develop for in that order.  As the hardware gets more powerful, the games are going to get less "casual", so no reason to leave them out.

Reqs are intimidating, interviews are intimidating, no question, but just remember the guys interviewing you want to be impressed by the general package, including skills that weren't on the req, so just keep doing what you love and learn stuff in general without trying to slot yourself into some job req that might have been obsolete the day they posted it.
Offline pitbuller
« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-06-06 17:33:01 »

I met some nice dudes at bar that were from small indie mobile studio. I send my portfolio later on and got interview. After getting the job  I quited from university and old job instantly and moved to Helsinki. Now year later I still think it was best decision on my life. Making games with other professional is really fun and educational. Writing c++ only is lot more fun than I would have guessed.

ps. So go to bar and drink some beer you totally get your dream job there.
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 67
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Profile picture isn't relevant.

« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-06-16 01:40:11 »

I am 13, so this isn't a career. But I got started when I was 9, and saw Star Wars Lego. OH MY GOSH!!! To me, it was my favorite game, even to now. So I thought, "hm... This game is fairly simple, and all you need to do in order to program is write. That's simple! I'll go google it!" I quickly was stumped at hello world, cpp. I thought how computers should know when we type something, to put it on the screen! So I quit, taking my dreams to being an astronaut. SPAAAACE! So a year later, I played call of duty, and decided to give this another go. I tried, and got hello world on cpp. I made calculators, and debt counters. My math grades rose, so I stuck with it. Then I tried OpenGL. OH MY GOSH!!! Anyone who started with cpp knows what I am talking about. I am still convinced that they made it only so that more people would attend the college that the maker went to. In other words, there was a learning curve. That was the last time I sat down and programmed in cpp. So then I got into java. When I used cpp, I thought of java as a lot of blah().exampleint. You know, cpp is just a whole bunch of dial buttons and stuff. So I programmed, and loved its simplicity. I was taught by Bucky Roberts. Check out his channels. I watched over 200 videos of his. Then, I did lwjgl. When I got exceptionally good, I found out it was OpenGL. My old friend. I got into slick after it still got hard, and then joined this forum. I can now officially say that I will probably be a programmer in games. Thank you, Internet!

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 156
Projects: 7

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:04:16 »

You do know that its c++ not cpp, right?

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:10:00 »

Tomato tomahto

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 136

« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:11:24 »

Tomato tomahto
Not really, that's like calling java "jar".
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:14:21 »

Tomato tomahto
Not at all. CPP is a file type for C++. C++ is the correct name of the language. Jimmt is exactly correct.

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:18:59 »

Tomato tomahto as in "who cares?" I know what it is.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:32:38 »

"Java" not "java".

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:33:24 »

Exactly (if that is satire). Back to the point of this post please?

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:51:45 »

I started my career because my friends were like "I can Java" and I was like "bullshit I'll do it better."

That's seriously it.
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:55:37 »

I started learning Java back in maybe 2010 when I discovered Minecraft and realized I could make my own mods. It seems like many people started this way, but I don't think many actually turn out to be good programmers! A couple years later, I'm still working at trying to make my own voxel engine. That's my goal. To this day, I'm still fascinated by the fact that I can turn a bunch of letters and numbers into actual working programs. I love the fact that there is almost an infinite different programs that you can write. It seems like anything that I can think of, I can turn into a program. So damn cool!

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2013-06-16 05:09:14 »

Well, your experience is in Java, so you may need to build up some more experience in C++ for most of the big game studios to consider you.  Other than that, I wouldn't sell yourself short though: hardly any applicant meets every single item listed in the requirements, and what they're looking for is someone who is likely to learn the rest of the stuff quickly.  You certainly have the math skills and plenty of experience in OpenGL, and those are foundation skills that count for a lot more than knowing some engine or tool.

As for experience: by the time you graduate college, the PS4 will have been out for years, which should be far more approachable both in terms of technology (no more weird Cell architecture) and in terms of barriers to entry.  Plus there's always Android and iOS, which are free and dirt cheap to develop for in that order.  As the hardware gets more powerful, the games are going to get less "casual", so no reason to leave them out.

Reqs are intimidating, interviews are intimidating, no question, but just remember the guys interviewing you want to be impressed by the general package, including skills that weren't on the req, so just keep doing what you love and learn stuff in general without trying to slot yourself into some job req that might have been obsolete the day they posted it.

Just noticed this. Thanks sproingie, made me feel better Smiley
I am looking especially into Graphics/Gameplay programmer (maybe also Networking) in general, as I qualify for everything except C++ (I almost finished learning the basics and just bought a nice book!).

Offline pjt33
« Reply #23 - Posted 2013-06-16 07:50:42 »

What did you all did to become game developer?
The first program I ever wrote, back in primary school, was a game. The gameplay was rubbish, but hey. I had a few games under my belt by the time I went to university.

In my last year at uni I received an invitation to apply to a local games company - they went down to the Senate house, made a list of everyone who got a first or a 2:1, and sent them a letter. That wound up being my first real job.

What should I do inorder to become a GameDev?
It doesn't hurt to try to get into a university in a city which has a few games companies. Write games in your spare time. Go to industry conferences with your portfolio on your laptop and show it around.

Also play games, but do it with a critical eye: what does this game do well? What would I change?
Offline Cero
« Reply #24 - Posted 2013-06-16 11:25:43 »

I don't see me becoming pals with C++ ever. And also starting it now seems so ridiculous. It's like starting to build VCRs in 2013.

I have been inspired by Cas and will try to do something similar for now. There are virtually no game devs using java, especially locally, so gotta get a job, making games on the side and hope that one day one gets a little bigger.

Online SHC
« Reply #25 - Posted 2013-06-17 15:54:33 »

Sorry for not  being active these days, I've been at the vacation. Now I'm back at my home and I want to learn OpenGL with Java and C# in the remaining holidays (almost 2 months) for me. I'm going to buy a graphics card tomorrow (ASUS NVIDIA GeForce EN 210 1 GB DDR3) for ₹2080 at a local dealer. I've got admission into an 'A' graded college (I thought I'd get in a 'B' graded one but) and the classes start on August 20th

Offline pjt33
« Reply #26 - Posted 2013-06-17 18:27:50 »

I've got admission into an 'A' graded college (I thought I'd get in a 'B' graded one but)
That's the best kind of surprise! Congratulations.
Online SHC
« Reply #27 - Posted 2013-06-18 00:21:01 »

@pjt33

Thanks. +1

Offline doos

Senior Duke

Medals: 2
Projects: 2

Here be random

« Reply #28 - Posted 2013-06-21 19:23:00 »

I'm going to build up my confidence a bit more and apply to these guys (as they look like an awesome UK java game company and they're usually hiring):
http://www.jagex.com/

I think that Computer Science gives you the basics, but that's not really enough to qualify you for games in particular.. I've heard that Physics is a good course to take, or something with a maths component. There are courses with industry experience built in, and there are those which are focused more on the games design or creative roles.

I think that a portfolio of personal work shows dedication, progress and commitment.. The idea isn't to produce AAA, but to have the potential of what you could do given the appropriate resources or as part of a team.

Don't get hung up about the coding language or API.. There's a lot of transferrable knowledge with vector maths, algorithms, game loops, and render pipelines that are going to be useful whatever you're doing.. And in another 6 months you will likely be working on different platform, different apis, codebase, etc.

Whatever you know, or think you know, you are going to learn a lot more as soon as you actually start doing the job anyway.
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #29 - Posted 2013-06-22 11:48:50 »

Jagex...Runescape...:/
Didn't pjt33 use to work there?
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

theagentd (12 views)
2014-10-25 15:46:29

Longarmx (52 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (45 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (34 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (39 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (68 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (68 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (60 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (73 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (45 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org