Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (603)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Need volunteers to help Program a new Game!  (Read 3627 times)
Offline ItzKR15

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Posted 2013-05-31 20:07:29 »

Hello all Programmers,
Here at A.K.E.B we have been planning an MMO Virtual world game, based on Managing your own space station!
It lets players hire staff, build spaceships, destroy and rule planets, and also lets them attack other players spacestations. We would be grateful if you helped us develop this game and make it become a reality!

Jobs needed:
  • Java developers to help program the game
  • Java developers to enable the MMO side of the game
  • Other contributing would help!
  • Graphical Designer (WE WILL PROVIDE CONCEPTS AND DRAWINGS.)

To apply you need to provide:
  • Java programming experience.
  • Graphics Design experience.(IF APPLIES TO JOB)
  • Name
  • Email
  • Position applying for

Apply at:    apply@akeb.site50.net

We will give you credit!

Just keep coding, Just keep coding!

http://internetometer.com/image/39407.png Please Give me Internets!
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 310
Projects: 11
Exp: 3 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-05-31 20:20:44 »

Just when I thought "I want to make MMORPG" threads had gone for good...  Emo

Offline RobinB

JGO Ninja

Medals: 44
Projects: 1

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-05-31 21:07:23 »

How would we benefit from this and what / who is A.K.E.B?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ItzKR15

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-05-31 21:23:01 »

It's a Game development organization me and my friends have started, and I'm sorry but we can't offer any money yet  Sad
But i guess its good for learning?

Just keep coding, Just keep coding!

http://internetometer.com/image/39407.png Please Give me Internets!
Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

Medals: 25
Projects: 2
Exp: 2 years

http://linebylinecoding.blogspot.com/

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-05-31 21:25:01 »

Just so you know pretty much all MMORPG or MMO type games that come here wind up being started by newbs which clearly don't have the skill to make a game like this (nor do I), just giving you the reasons why this is a bad place to come unless you can prove that you are truly capable of such a game

EDIT:
as herosgravedev once said
The other problem with these projects is that everyone wants to lead one and the only people that would be sensible enough to join an existing team project instead, wouldn't join because they're sensible enough not to.

In the rare event that someone is n00by enough to join a n00b project, they never get anything done.

As a result, this forum is full of projects that fail to even start.

I don't mean to hate on you but you should prove yourself before you expect anyone else to prove themselves.

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 139
Projects: 4

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-05-31 21:31:01 »

I'm going to be blunt - judging by your recent posts you should be learning basic Java, not recruiting people to work on an mmo.
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 114
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-05-31 21:31:15 »

If you'd want to really make something serious then you'd need to advertise.

You can't collect people if you haven't got a proof that it's something that's going to be big, like several screenshots or probably some kind of concept art. It's just like people asking noobish questions simply by saying "How can I do [insert anything]?" instead of asking "I've done this and that. That's what I try to do now and that's why I need your help".

Additionally it's helpful if you show more specifically what you struggle with and why you need more developers.

One last thing: Show us (or the developers who might consider joining your project) what makes your project stand out between all those other guys pretending to be able to create an MMORPG...

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline ags1

JGO Wizard

Medals: 75
Exp: 5 years

Make code not war!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-05-31 21:34:32 »

Any idea how hard an MMO would be?

Any idea how hard it will be to work in a big group?

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-05-31 22:45:16 »

It's a Game development organization me and my friends have started, and I'm sorry but we can't offer any money yet  Sad
But i guess its good for learning?

How many people?
What are/is each person's field of work?
How much experience does each have?

These are questions that need to be answered before anyone could consider joining.

Offline ags1

JGO Wizard

Make code not war!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-05-31 22:48:14 »

Also, an MMO is not just about programming. It is also about massive server farms. It takes brilliant programming and big money.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline alaslipknot
« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-05-31 23:26:19 »

Off Topic :
i just don't understand why many new game "maker" (i didn't say developers cause they are not yet) dreams about making a super big MMORPG, i mean, why do they like them so much  Tongue i never loved any mmorpg before,i played wow for weeks and get really bored before even reaching the max level, i know that this is a matter of taste, but why those guys are so racist about small beautiful adorable playable tiny little games :3 ? why it should always be an mmorpg  Tongue ?

On Topic :
focus on basics, level up your skills, when you are ready to create a small mmorpg by yourself, start recruiting others to make your small mmorpg into a big one. 

"It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time."
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-05-31 23:38:14 »

...level up your skills...

Was that an intended pun? Tongue

Offline dermetfan
« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-05-31 23:40:51 »

Because it's got everything: Multiplayer/online, often 3D, story, crafting, trading, messaging, character creation... and it would just be super awesome if you got your own MMORPG.

People come to me with game ideas THIS BIG, like this:
- "hey man, you're a programmer aren't you?"
- "uh, yes, I am"
- "can you make a game where players can *insert crazy stuff here*? Online, of course."
- "GAWD do you realize that your idea is on the market for 5 years and was developed by teams of hundreds of people for 2 years?"

I don't want to be rude, but I think many can relate to this.

Offline alaslipknot
« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-05-31 23:58:44 »

oops  Roll Eyes

"It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time."
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-05-31 23:59:05 »

The problem with MMORPGs is that the market for them is corrupt, biased, and full of immature 12 year-olds.

MMORPGs have the potential to be amazing games, but they're ruined by big companies and their customers.

Problems:

- Subscription & free-to-play models. Free-to-play is okay, IF DONE PROPERLY, which it unfortunately never is.
- Grinding. Who wants to repeatedly press keys for an hour so they can repeatedly press keys for another hour?
- Combat system is lame. Please, make it require some skill. Clicking is BORING Cranky
- Female characters. I'll leave it at that. Tongue
- Trying to give freedom while regulating everything. Make up your mind. Regulate it, or don't. Trying to go halfway makes both terrible. (Example: Trading)
- Class systems. While some have done this fine, others haven't. People want to be able to experiment with different play styles, not pick one randomly, not knowing the best choice, and get stuck with it. There are also other problems with class systems, but most are not as common/annoying.

While there are many other problems with MMORPGs, most are fixed by solving the above.

By far, the best MMORPG out there is...

Realm of the Mad God?!

Yes, that's right.

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-06-01 00:02:18 »

Realm of the Mad God USED to be a very, very good mmorpg, back when it was under Wild Shadow.
After Kabam took over, everything changed...game became very p2w, kabam broke its own promises, didn't fix bugs, pushed new code without testing, etc. Good example of a good game ruined by bad (terrible) management.
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-06-01 00:10:44 »

Realm of the Mad God USED to be a very, very good mmorpg, back when it was under Wild Shadow.
After Kabam took over, everything changed...game became very p2w, kabam broke its own promises, didn't fix bugs, pushed new code without testing, etc. Good example of a good game ruined by bad (terrible) management.

It's not quite P2W - I've managed to a few items being sold in the nexus from loot.
But yeah, I would prefer it if you didn't HAVE to use gold to buy some things.

I wish Wild Shadow didn't sell out. Emo

But still, I'd rather play RotMG than other MMORPGs (except, maybe the ones from Artix Entertainment)

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-06-01 00:15:30 »

I hold a grudge against Kabam, mostly - invisible enemies? duping, which crashed the ecnonomy, unsolved for a month? saying that they wouldn't sell top tier items for real money, then later doing so?
Offline Troncoso

JGO Coder

Medals: 20

« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-06-01 00:21:08 »

The problem with MMORPGs is that the market for them is corrupt, biased, and full of immature 12 year-olds.

MMORPGs have the potential to be amazing games, but they're ruined by big companies and their customers.

Problems:

- Subscription & free-to-play models. Free-to-play is okay, IF DONE PROPERLY, which it unfortunately never is.
- Grinding. Who wants to repeatedly press keys for an hour so they can repeatedly press keys for another hour?
- Combat system is lame. Please, make it require some skill. Clicking is BORING Cranky
- Female characters. I'll leave it at that. Tongue
- Trying to give freedom while regulating everything. Make up your mind. Regulate it, or don't. Trying to go halfway makes both terrible. (Example: Trading)
- Class systems. While some have done this fine, others haven't. People want to be able to experiment with different play styles, not pick one randomly, not knowing the best choice, and get stuck with it. There are also other problems with class systems, but most are not as common/annoying.

While there are many other problems with MMORPGs, most are fixed by solving the above.

By far, the best MMORPG out there is...

Realm of the Mad God?!

Yes, that's right.

Off topic:

How the hell are you going to play any PC game if you don't want to press keys or click the mouse? That's literally how you play games. What happens on screen is just visually stimulating, which is why we enjoy it.

On topic:

He will probably never come back to this thread...
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-06-01 00:21:48 »

@Troncoso: Keyword = repeatedly. ie: without any change to the situation.

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-06-01 00:23:56 »

Grinding isn't always bad, keeps gamers motivated, though excess is definitely terrible. In small doses it's good Smiley
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-06-01 02:39:11 »

Little pro tip: set up a proper site first.

Offline ags1

JGO Wizard

Make code not war!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2013-06-01 12:25:58 »

Don't set up a proper site first. Get something working first. Then when you have something to show, set up a site.

It's always a bad sign if more effort goes into the web site than the game.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #23 - Posted 2013-06-01 12:37:20 »

Well, that's common for us. Like me, I mean, look on my site. No wonder I can't get press look Grin

But his main objective right now is to done something and needs people to achieve it. A good site is one of tools to get people impressed at least a bit. But heck, throw lot of money is better Tongue

Offline alaslipknot
« Reply #24 - Posted 2013-06-01 13:50:16 »

look on my site.
i LOVE it  Grin !!

but i agree with ags1, he should be able to build something before focusing on creating a website, plus i don't know if you guys notice it or not, this dude is 13, and honestly i think if he follow the right path he'll be a very good developer before 20
(and that's one of the most thing that i regret in my life  Undecided i didn't have Internet access before 2010  Cry i was a caveman before  Grin  )

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #25 - Posted 2013-06-01 14:19:52 »

13?! where ya find it stalker?! Grin

Well if it's teen then you're right. Developing part should be 99% of his concern now, leave that 1% for alive and being human sake.

Offline alaslipknot
« Reply #26 - Posted 2013-06-01 14:50:09 »

13?! where ya find it stalker?! Grin
it's in his profile information   Cool

PS :
i hope he doesn't feel offended and quit  Tongue i don't want to feel guilty  Tongue

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #27 - Posted 2013-06-01 20:04:44 »

Well, that's common for us. Like me, I mean, look on my site.
Site looks fine, nice use of free advertisement.
Why would you set up a website first, before you have the game? Just seems like more fees to pay.
Offline Troncoso

JGO Coder

Medals: 20

« Reply #28 - Posted 2013-06-01 20:32:22 »

I have to agree. If you're going to setup a site for a game, you should at least have something to demo on the site, even if it's just concept art.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #29 - Posted 2013-06-02 02:31:17 »

Err I do have persecutioncomplex On my carousel there are 2 images. One is for finished game and one for WIP. It has been reviewed by 2 sites. Yeah, I forgot to add link to the image though.

And also a bunch of silly games. So it is clear that I am on same "make-something-first-before-site" boat Grin

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (33 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (23 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (51 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (84 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (45 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (59 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (60 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (123 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (114 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (32 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org