Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Profile picture isn't relevant.

« Reply #60 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:03:36 »

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH JAVA!!!
Just kidding. I agree with everyone on the used game fees. You know, downloading games is better than disks. Why are we using disks? They are physical. Think how much it costs to make a couple million disks, and a long wait to buy in stores, angering gamers. This is apposed to downloading, immediate release, no driving to store, and no money spent on disks. Just hosting! Why is there any debate?!

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #61 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:32:07 »

Just kidding. I agree with everyone on the used game fees. You know, downloading games is better than disks. Why are we using disks? They are physical. Think how much it costs to make a couple million disks, and a long wait to buy in stores, angering gamers. This is apposed to downloading, immediate release, no driving to store, and no money spent on disks. Just hosting! Why is there any debate?!
There are some countries where the console being sold but have a) suck and expensive internet speed AND b) problem in credit card transaction, not to mention how luxury CC is for them.

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 154
Projects: 7

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #62 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:35:33 »

There are some countries where the console being sold but have a) suck and expensive internet speed AND b) problem in credit card transaction, not to mention how luxury CC is for them.
This. Exactly.

I'm sick of companies trying to move everything to the cloud. I like my damn disks. I can give them to friends, sell them wherever I like and negotiate prices, and I can take them with me easily. Because if you wanted to play a game at your friends house with this new system, you would have to download the game onto their console before you could actually play, I believe. Whereas with a disk, you pop it in and boom. The cloud is useful for some things. I would love the ability to purchase a game in store and then redeem a code on the marketplace that will add a copy of the given game to my cloud library. Is that possible with the Xbox One?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #63 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:37:02 »

Ok. I just don't have that kind of space in my nerd-cave.

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #64 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:40:44 »

For a couple of little plastic disks that take up less than a half an inch of space vertically?!

Jeez...

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

« Reply #65 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:41:19 »

Yup. You have not seen my nerd cave

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #66 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:44:54 »

You can always get a cheap cd book that holds hundreds of disks. They're cheap and take up almost no space. You can't tell me you have no space for that. What do you do now if you can't have disks? And why don't you just get a steam account? I hate console gaming.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #67 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:48:20 »

Even on disk, we have real problem to find it. I mean the original one.

Also, having physical disk can be memorable, collectible, and valuable in time. Remember that current technology will be retro in next 7-10 years. What will your grandson find when he search your room/stash? "Nothing here son, the server blown away 6 years ago along with my purchased games and stuff". They will have no chance to feel the taste of "retro".

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #68 - Posted 2013-06-16 02:52:10 »

Even on disk, we have real problem to find it. I mean the original one.

Also, having physical disk can be memorable, collectible, and valuable in time. Remember that current technology will be retro in next 7-10 years. What will your grandson find when he search your room/stash? "Nothing here son, the server blown away 6 years ago along with my purchased games and stuff". They will have no chance to feel the taste of "retro".
While it's true you may lose disks (I'm assuming that's what you meant!), they still are, in my opinion, the most viable way of delivering video games to consumers. Movies, could be easier to make the switch to the cloud, but it would still be hard to do. I love having disks and having old GBA or NES/SNES/etc... cartridges! To me, they are far better than just having some files sitting on a server. I guess just because I'm a nerd.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #69 - Posted 2013-06-16 03:01:08 »

If i were the head, I will give code inside the disc so disc buyers also get cloud copy (they pay more after all). It won't hurt.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #70 - Posted 2013-06-16 03:06:05 »

That to me would be a perfect system. Keep both types of gamers happy! There are times when a cloud based copy is beneficial, but I also love having an easily transportable hard copy of the game too. Alas, greedy money hungry game companies won't allow it. You have to have a server to let people download a digital copy of the game. Which means money to maintain and run it. Valve is still the only company I've seen that provides a digital copy of their own game for free. Amazon lets you digitally download games, but its not the same as the actual game company giving you a code bundled with the hard copy of it.

Offline relminator
« Reply #71 - Posted 2013-06-16 04:54:12 »

No internet?  No problem.  Just use xbox360.

That's what m$ is telling us now.  Looks like the battle is between the WiiU and the Ps4 now.
Offline Cero
« Reply #72 - Posted 2013-06-16 11:12:09 »

I alsove love having games or movies in the shelf. Very nice decoration.

And when you have people over they can look at it and be like "you like this? this is awesome" - you know...

Offline relminator
« Reply #73 - Posted 2013-06-20 02:04:49 »

LOL.  The Xbone == Xbox180!

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

M$ just made a 180.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #74 - Posted 2013-06-20 02:27:23 »

I don't see the "180" part. More likely update of Xboxone.

Offline Gamerulf

Medals: 2

« Reply #75 - Posted 2013-06-20 02:34:43 »

Well, It's better then the PS3 update Wink

I dont really get "180" either.

- Gamerulf
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #76 - Posted 2013-06-20 02:37:41 »

If it's true then Xbox has chance to flip the table. Now will they change the price and remove that hell-sent kinect too? >Smiley

Offline zngga
« Reply #77 - Posted 2013-06-20 02:57:26 »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DOosVWP--j0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/DOosVWP--j0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

My code never has bugs... it just develops unexpected features!
Offline Phased
« Reply #78 - Posted 2013-06-20 05:26:49 »

No longer true, Microsoft changed the DRM on it.

Funny thing is, supposedly PS4 is the one with DRM now. PS4 is suppose to be like the xbox one, the DRM is developer enabled, something that Sony is going out there to say, but keeping it more secret and showing that video saying its possible, but some developers may enable our DRM system.

I am not 100% sure on this, but both friends and videos I'v seen have mentioned PS4's DRM to be pretty much the same as Xbox.

You could say, Xbox is now better then PS4 based on the DRM argument being the main cause other then fanboys.
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 246
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #79 - Posted 2013-06-20 05:44:24 »

Funny thing is, supposedly PS4 is the one with DRM now

Source?

Offline Mike

JGO Wizard

Medals: 74
Projects: 1
Exp: 6 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #80 - Posted 2013-06-20 05:49:20 »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/194126/On_PS4_DRM_measures_are_up_to_the_thirdparties.php

"Sony's first-party games will not implement DRM measures such as online authentication or one-time use codes. But if a third-party wants to implement those measures on PS4, they have the ability to do so."

Mike

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline Agro
« Reply #81 - Posted 2013-06-20 05:49:57 »

That basically goes for any console.

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 246
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #82 - Posted 2013-06-20 05:52:36 »

Quote from: Mickelukas
But if a third-party wants to implement [DRM] on PS4, they have the ability to do so.

There was never anything stopping developers from doing that anyway.

Offline Mike

JGO Wizard

Medals: 74
Projects: 1
Exp: 6 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #83 - Posted 2013-06-20 05:53:27 »

That basically goes for any console.

Of course it does, but I guess that's the source that he wanted to see as it is what the post above referred to Wink

All in all, before the 180 of Microsoft I was sure that I'd get a PS4, but now it will be to wait until March or so to see which one gets the most fun games and how the new kinect games will be. Smiley Very good news for the consumer!

Mike

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline Agro
« Reply #84 - Posted 2013-06-20 05:55:47 »

Xbox is getting more exclusive games(Microsoft spends billions each year with their "deals"). But as a console, PS4 is definitely looking good. Cheesy

Offline Phased
« Reply #85 - Posted 2013-06-20 07:56:41 »

Yes any developer could do it, and it has been done but they had to create there own system, it is now available on the consoles, from what I heard too the Xbox had the exact same DRM not as bad as everyone said it was.

back to the point, with it now being available and a feature of the console, more developers may choose to use it.
Offline Cero
« Reply #86 - Posted 2013-06-20 15:14:27 »

Quote from: Mickelukas
But if a third-party wants to implement [DRM] on PS4, they have the ability to do so.

There was never anything stopping developers from doing that anyway.
Indeed.

Xbox is getting more exclusive games
Don't be blinded my dear - almost all of them are TIMED exclusives or games with exclusive content. Meaning not exclusive at all but they still want the word so they make shit up. Sony does the same though
(Microsoft spends billions each year with their "deals")
True that, Sony does that too of course. We'll see.

all in all exclusives are going to be more and more rare, because it makes less and less sense economically as a developer

If it's true then Xbox has chance to flip the table. Now will they change the price and remove that hell-sent kinect too? >:)
I hope you mean that as a joke and realize that the kinect is now a part of the xbox one and it just doesnt even work without it.
of course it would better, but MS decided that we need more motion and voice control crap and there you go: Xbox, go home.

But basically I couldn't understand anyone who is like "Well MS said they are not going to do the DRM & online bullshit afterall, so I might be intersted now."
First of all: First impression counts. They were very... well lets say "rude" ;D
And now they are like "oh sry please buy our console"
Nevermind the fact that there are no advantages over the PS4 at all - its very quite imbalanced, and the PS4 is even cheaper.

The biggest problem with MS is of course that they have unlimited money to shove into every deadbeat project to market the hell out of it.
Showing IE and bing whenever they can, even in TV commercials and nobody cares. But the always refuse to give up. The gave up on the Zune... Not so much with Silverlight I think.

Did you hear that they are now offering money to developers just for developing apps for windows phone ? thats how desperate they are on the windows phone front.

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #87 - Posted 2013-06-20 17:46:35 »

Great, now I can look forward to craptastical MacroVision and TAGES activation on my console games as well as some of the ones I get from Steam, never mind the "seamless DRM" that was supposed to be a hallmark of the two platforms.  Steam I get, they're not in the position to push upstream publishers around, but now consoles are going to subject us to the joy of entering activation codes just to play the game?  Great Flying F***ing Spaghetti Monster, what a leap backward.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #88 - Posted 2013-06-21 03:29:50 »

@Cero
That's why I said "will they change" Grin I really need no kinect.

Offline deepthought
« Reply #89 - Posted 2013-06-21 21:43:06 »

Showing IE and bing whenever they can, even in TV commercials and nobody cares.

I saw that. I find it funny that they're desperate enough to advertise software that comes free with the OS.

Speaking of kinect: I hate consoles. FPSes were meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard. the one thing Kinect IS good for is a depth sensor for robotics, which is the only reason I at least hope the Kinect stays available.

jocks rule the highschools. GEEKS RULE THE WORLD MWAHAHAHA!!
captain failure test game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

TehJavaDev (16 views)
2014-08-28 18:26:30

CopyableCougar4 (25 views)
2014-08-22 19:31:30

atombrot (38 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (34 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (32 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (20 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (30 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (66 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (43 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (34 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org