I was going back and forth whether or not I should post what little I have of my game here, but I figured I should just go ahead and jump right in since there were no guidelines anyway regarding how far along a project should be before you could post it.
I've been studying how to program games in Java for the last three weeks, and I'm using this game as a vehicle to apply what I learn. It's a 2D Platformer and I want it to come across as distinctly physics-based (it uses libgdx/Box2D). What else it's going to be is up in the air... I put in a little experience bar there and some objects one can gather to gain experience, but I only have a vague idea of what I want to do with it so far. Also not sure if I want it to be action-based (like Cave Story for example) or puzzle-based (like LIMBO) or a little of both.
So far, at this point, I'm just winging it UPDATES:Update 07.04.2013: --- LINK**latest** Update 08.04.2013:
I figured I'd try releasing updates on a monthly basis no matter what I've done up to that point; so, here's playable build v0.2:download link (6.20MB)
I wasn't able to do much for July because *cough*steamsummersale*cough*
I was "a bit busy" *cough*steamsummersale*cough*
, but I think I made significant progress in some areas.
(1) I added gamepad support for the xbox360 controller. The input device detection is a bit crude for now, but it will have to do... for now. It simply selects gamepad as the input device if it detects one, and selects the keyboard otherwise. NOTE: I find that the game plays better with a gamepad, so I would recommend that if you have one, use that instead of the keyboard.
(2) I reworked the controls significantly in pursuit of "tighter" movement. So, compared to the version last month, I would say this new version features significantly tighter and much less floaty controls.
(3) And related to #2 above, the player can now double-jump and wall-jump.
(4) I played around with animations. So the enemies are now animated. It seems a bit amateurish, but I think I did more than I think I could, tbh.
(5) I increased the screen size to incorporate the status bar. So the game is now at 1280x720 (a relatively standard resolution) instead of the 1280x640 it previously was.
(6) Where the game took a step backwards is the mechanics. It's not that I don't have anything planned for the mechanics; but rather, I haven't implemented it yet. Also hope to start adding a lot more new levels.
(7) The point of the game, just to explain, since the game doesn't explain it yet:[Goal]
The goal of the game is in two parts: First is to control the gray circle and maneuver it around the level to find and come in contact with the pink circle. After you come in contact with the pink circle, you will meld into a single gray-and-pink circle. The second part of the goal is that once both circles have melded together, you must maneuver your way into the pink door. This ends the level and moves on to the next one.
Please try it out and kindly provide feedback if you feel that your suggestions would make the game better