Games in Showcase (580)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (500)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  How do I get a team coding with me on a indie game?  (Read 1872 times)
Offline wessles

JGO Ninja

Medals: 49
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Coding with bad posture since 2011... Nonstop.

« Posted 2013-05-09 22:01:08 »

Hello, I am not asking about a code question (I am actually quite skilled). I Wanted to know, how do I get some other coder to work with me? Is there another discussion? Please help! I need to work on a team with someone (If you are interested, please tell me)!

You don't know nerdiness yet; you haven't even met me!
www.wessles.com
Offline matheus23

JGO Wizard

Medals: 97
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-05-09 22:01:51 »

Depends on what 'skilled' means. It always helps to tell a little story about yourself.

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Online RobinB

JGO Knight

Medals: 37
Projects: 1

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-05-09 22:05:51 »

A nice start would be an explanation about why you NEED an team so much Smiley
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Cero
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-05-09 22:24:21 »

Well I'm going to university and meet people.
You CAN find people online - but working together may be a pain... but for that you can ask anywhere, like reddit for example.

A nice start would be an explanation about why you NEED an team so much Smiley
You simple do want to have a team.
If you want to  actually accomplish shit you need more than just yourself.
Especially artists if you cannot do any art.

Offline alaslipknot
« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-05-09 23:55:44 »

well i think if you are going to follow this way (randomly finding teammates) then i guess the best solution is to start doing some prototypes to show your future ♥soul mate♥ what you are able to do, otherwise it's not going to work, everyone here loves to code which mean that with a way or another we all know someone that share this interests with us, and i personally rather to work with a friend in my/his house better than someone i don't know online, even that i've already did that, i programmed this flash website (old and new version, mini games and the unfinished game ) for a friend that i met online 3 years ago, it was very fun but also a pain in the ass when it comes to fix bugs and trying to understand/explain what he/you want.
That was my general opinion about online partnership, notice that i never developed anything with someone in real life, i still don't have the skills (neither my friends) to join our ultimate force and start our Power Rangers adventure  Cool
so in my honest opinion, and i really means no offense to you, posting something like this with a Bold "need" and an exclamation mark in the end without saying anything about your super-power is like going to a girly forum and said " How do I get a girl to hang out with me "  with a Bold "need" and an exclamation mark in the end, well...  trust me, everyone there will think that you are that kind of a guy that can never ever have a girlfriend which will not helps you a lot... if not at all  Roll Eyes
so i think it's better to start telling us what are your skills and if you complete some game projects, do you mind sharing them with us  Roll Eyes ?

innocent question :
you are not searching for a team to make a super duper big awesome amazing incredible MMORPG of the century aren't you ?
Are You  Roll Eyes ?

EDIT
i saw your other post and apperently you are not looking for a 22GigaByte MMORPG, my bad Roll Eyes 
but also, i don't think you know what you mean by saying "skilled", plus if i want to make a team, i will not need a skilled people, i will need someone that can turns the idea into codes, and what you've wrote there is not that complicated to need a team for it, i honestly think that the fancy phrase you used are a lot more complicated  persecutioncomplex 
So for just a mini-game game, I would say we would work about a month on it. I want this game to be either 8, 16, or 32 bit, just to give the 2d game some feeling, and make our rendering job easier.
anyway ...
my advice to you would depends on what you really want to dp :
-if this is just for fun and to learn and advance faster in game development then :
     - it would be a lot better if you try to convince your best friend or anyone from your neighborhood/school to join your               journey
-if this is to make your dream game and make it incredibly awesome just because you have a team with you then :
      -depending on your other post, you actually need to hire a team to work for you, you have an idea and you need people to help you finish it, give me one reason why me or anyone else would "waste" his time for something you want ? it's not evil, it's logic.
so i honestly think that you should drop this idea for now and start making this game alone, and ask for help here and am sure you'll be satisfied, plus you're 13  Smiley , you have so many time to reach the real skilled level  Wink

good luck     

Am trying ...
hoping that it works
Offline kpars

JGO Ninja

Medals: 57
Exp: 2 years

Kemoy Labs/Radirius Game/Engine Developer

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-05-10 01:35:32 »

http://www.reddit.com/r/INAT

That's where I went.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see. It's getting hard to be someone, but it all works out." ¤¤ Kemoy Labs: http://www.kemoy.net/
Offline wessles

JGO Ninja

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-06-06 03:28:17 »

Thank you all for your responces. I have ditched the idea, as the games were dull and repettitive in button mashing. I have started a new DREAM GAME. It's called horde. I have a prototype in the final stages. I have a system that will make it easy to make a level maker (rgb pixel based tile cell values). I already have a story for the game. Just your average cliche 'Laboratory experiment for steroids goes wrong, and you are the sole survivor, trying to get out to civilization, only to find that the world has already turned' story. Gameplay is just you either sneak or bash. When you complete a stage, you can upgrade your bashing, stealthy, or health. There is a multiplier to let you upgrade more or less on bash, stealth, or health. Promising? Please tell me your thoughts!

About me, I am skilled in that I have created many mini-games, and know how to make great tile based games. I have worked with code (little c++ and major java) for 5 years. Only the last 2 years have I actually been creating serious crap. Horde will be my first actual game with a story. I am very good with 8 bit games. The pixel art, however, not so much. That is what I need, as well as someone else to code w/ me. That is all I need. Also, it would'nt hurt to have a screenwriter...  Wink

Please, let me know what you think of game play, and my experience.

www.wessles.com
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 114

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-06-06 03:34:29 »

No one's going to want to join you unless you can prove how "skilled" you are...
Offline Andre Lopes
« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-06-06 19:47:47 »

Thank you all for your responces. I have ditched the idea, as the games were dull and repettitive in button mashing. I have started a new DREAM GAME. It's called horde. I have a prototype in the final stages. I have a system that will make it easy to make a level maker (rgb pixel based tile cell values). I already have a story for the game. Just your average cliche 'Laboratory experiment for steroids goes wrong, and you are the sole survivor, trying to get out to civilization, only to find that the world has already turned' story. Gameplay is just you either sneak or bash. When you complete a stage, you can upgrade your bashing, stealthy, or health. There is a multiplier to let you upgrade more or less on bash, stealth, or health. Promising? Please tell me your thoughts!

About me, I am skilled in that I have created many mini-games, and know how to make great tile based games. I have worked with code (little c++ and major java) for 5 years. Only the last 2 years have I actually been creating serious crap. Horde will be my first actual game with a story. I am very good with 8 bit games. The pixel art, however, not so much. That is what I need, as well as someone else to code w/ me. That is all I need. Also, it would'nt hurt to have a screenwriter...  Wink

Please, let me know what you think of game play, and my experience.

Hi wesley, what country you from btw?

Anyway, You should go to a java forum, that is not for games only, and ask there.
You will find ppl there that dont know this forum and are looking for someone to code with.
Probably Tongue
Offline wessles

JGO Ninja

« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-06-06 21:55:23 »

I am in america. Yanks to some  Wink...
I already went there, and got told this is where it's at after about 4 months of refreshing... Also, I may use reddit. If you would read this post:
Here is the compressed version along with points addressed at some of the responses given to previous posts like this one.

1. Such projects attract n00bs.
2. As Riven stated, a bunch of n00bs never get anything done.
3. Whether you are a n00b or not is irrelevant to whether n00bs will ruin your project.
4. To keep n00bs away, make sure they have to show previous works, and example code. Maybe even test them if you are still unsure. (As a side note, read this)
5. Saying "not much experience required" is a no-no. n00bs swarm to this sort of stuff.
6. The best way, and IMO the only way, to make team projects work is if you have face-to-face contact (not via internet) for lots of the time.
7. There are many projects set out like this on this board. Look at them and see how they turn out.
8. Thinking you are an exception is a sign of you being a n00b. I am yet to see a project set out like this even start, let alone finish.

www.wessles.com
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Zhon

Medals: 4

« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-06-06 22:44:50 »

I pretty much agree with what HeroGravesDev(?) said in that post /\.
One thing I dont get is why lots of people are so obssessed in working in group, me and some friends once tried making a Starbound clone and it failed mainly because each one of us, had different coding styles, I'm the typical code-conventions-na.zi, I couldn't stand coding with my friends because they didn't follow code conventions. Hence their skills and experience, I can't stand reading a code with methods starting in uppercase or not carefully identing the code.
Then, we split and tried making the game each one on our own, in the end the game got much more near-complete than it was in the group-coding period.
This story sure should not apply for a lot of people, but since then I pretty much won't code with any kind of person, maybe I need to stop being a code-conventions-na.zi, maybe not. But my point is, watch out what kind of people you find by randomly looking for them in the internet.
Btw, America is not a country  Pointing
Offline wessles

JGO Ninja

« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-06-06 22:46:46 »

Come on. You know what I mean by america. Thanks for the advice! Smiley

www.wessles.com
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-06-06 22:47:10 »

I pretty much agree with what HeroGravesDev(?) said in that post /\.
One thing I dont get is why lots of people are so obssessed in working in group, me and some friends once tried making a Starbound clone and it failed mainly because each one of us, had different coding styles, I'm the typical code-conventions-na.zi, I couldn't stand coding with my friends because they didn't follow code conventions. Hence their skills and experience, I can't stand reading a code with methods starting in uppercase or not carefully identing the code.
Then, we split and tried making the game each one on our own, in the end the game got much more near-complete than it was in the group-coding period.
This story sure should not apply for a lot of people, but since then I pretty much won't code with any kind of person, maybe I need to stop being a code-conventions-na.zi, maybe not. But my point is, watch out what kind of people you find by randomly looking for them in the internet.
Btw, America is not a country  Pointing

I'm pretty sure that the C# coding conventions call for all methods to start with an uppercase letter.

I can't imagine you reading that language  persecutioncomplex
Offline Andre Lopes
« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-06-06 23:00:26 »

He would kill us.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ff926074.aspx
I'm pretty sure that the C# coding conventions call for all methods to start with an uppercase letter.
Offline wessles

JGO Ninja

« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-06-07 21:53:58 »

Who would kill us?

www.wessles.com
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 212
Projects: 11

If it wasn't Awesome, it wasn't me.

« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-06-07 22:00:19 »

You should as a team pick a coding convention that's easiest to understand, and works well for the language you use.

Offline wessles

JGO Ninja

« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-06-07 22:01:52 »

Hows about just the standard? You know, like on the official java conventions page?

www.wessles.com
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-06-07 22:05:56 »

That is definitely an option, though you may want to use a custom code style that you like more.  For example, I think that putting a beginning brace on its own line is completely stupid, because you can figure out the matching end brace with tabbing anyway.  I also think that using spaces instead of tabs is stupid also.  Those two things I would work with my team to put into our code style.
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 124
Projects: 7

Team Alluminum

« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-06-07 22:08:53 »

Well, yeah probably... but seriously it shouldn't matter. If you really can't read someones code, tell them what you would like them to change. If you are using a modern day IDE, you usually have the option to let it auto format your code. Just use that like crazy. Don't uppercase your method names, but uppercase your class names. Other than that, use smart variable names. I can't really think of anything else. I think the biggest thing that gets to me is when people do this:
public void exampleMethodName()
{

}

Instead of this:
public void exampleMethodName(){

}

My high school CS teacher taught everyone the first way, and it made me crazy whenever I had to help people with their code. The second way is really how you're supposed to do it. Fortunately, I had already been coding for a year by the time I took his class...

I'm ranting now, but seriously, don't worry about the damn conventions. Just code and have a good time as a group of people who like to do the same thing.

Offline wessles

JGO Ninja

« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-06-07 22:14:55 »

I'm ranting now, but seriously, don't worry about the damn conventions. Just code and have a good time as a group of people who like to do the same thing.

Yes, I agree, just code, but if the conventions are severly different, then that will just screw the whole project up. I NEED to have the same conventions.

P.S. I TOTALLY am with you on the
blah()
{
}
vs.
better() {
}

Nice to know I am not the only one!

www.wessles.com
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-06-07 22:18:35 »

I like the first one better. It seems cleaner.

But then again, I got into programming through modding Minecraft, and that's how the code appears when decompiled.

Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Team Alluminum

« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-06-07 22:21:04 »

Funny, that's how I started to.

I don't like it because when you are reading through huge classes quickly, it can get hard to tell where one scope ends and another begins. Everyone has their own coding style, but I prefer the second.

Online Phased
« Reply #22 - Posted 2013-06-08 02:51:09 »

Funny thing is, I got taught to do this by my software engineer lecturer
if()
{
}

I was like told to redo many things because I had
if(){
}

But, I was only doing the first year for a program I got into in year 10, I then started to use the second way because I found it a lot more neater, but the first way I say could be better for beginners, as you can clearly see where a if statement starts and finishes, that may be why they insisted on us using that way in everything.
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

« Reply #23 - Posted 2013-06-08 03:25:20 »

IMO, the first is neater.

It's nice to have a gap between the method name and the actual method.

Although I can understand how the other one could appear neater to some people.

Offline wessles

JGO Ninja

« Reply #24 - Posted 2013-06-08 04:33:35 »

I digress. Perhaps you could open a seperate page for that? Let's not forget the title of this page : How do I get a team coding with me on a indie game?

www.wessles.com
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Team Alluminum

« Reply #25 - Posted 2013-06-08 04:38:06 »

How about you ask people. No one can do it but you. If you want a team, you have to ask people to be apart of it. Plain and simple.

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 114

« Reply #26 - Posted 2013-06-08 05:03:40 »

How do I get a team coding with me on a indie game?
Get good, and get money or a solid concept/demo.
Offline wessles

JGO Ninja

« Reply #27 - Posted 2013-06-08 05:25:35 »

Oh I have tried...

www.wessles.com
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #28 - Posted 2013-06-08 05:37:04 »

Why not try in a few years instead?  It probably isn't worth the effort at this point in time.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (52 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (49 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (64 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (46 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (63 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (88 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (147 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (244 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (203 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (210 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org