Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (530)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Dungeon Lord! - An RPG-ish game!  (Read 5525 times)
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Medals: 75
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

Radirius Software Developer

« Posted 2013-04-23 07:50:58 »

This is a little project I have been working on for a while now, I call it Dungeon Wars (Any help on a better, less expected name?). It's a RPG-ish shooter/slasher I am working on, I'm taking A LOT of inspiration from Prelude of the Chambered (Engine wise, at least).

Progress Image:

I have many ideas in mind for the HUD, I'll try to add more and more features into it, it's hard to pack a lot of GUI functions onto a 640x480 screen.
Similar to PotC, the engine is 2.5D.

So far you can kill enemies and earn kurlacs, I'm in the middle of adding the Kurlacs economy system.

What I plan on doing with this:
  • Add an economy system that allows the player to trade items using a currency system called Kurlacs.
  • Add multiple kinds of weapons, they won't be straight upgrades of eachother, each one will have their own merits.
  • Add a map editing system.

I want this to be a game that people can mess around with, you know, create maps with, add extra tools, etc.
It's not supposed to be anything huge, just an idea that I turned into a game.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Check out #JGO on EsperNet IRC! | Check out the MERCury 2D Java Game Library! | Also, Check out My Site
Offline moogie

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 6
Exp: 10 years

Java games rock!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-04-23 11:59:22 »

looking like a solid start Smiley

do those wall textures have bump maps or is it just a trick of the texture? either way well done.
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-04-23 14:18:35 »

Trick of the texture Smiley

Thanks, I plan on continuing with this, maybe I'll try to make it a bit more friendly, and less cramped up.
Feels a tiny bit closed in, if you know what I mean.

Check out #JGO on EsperNet IRC! | Check out the MERCury 2D Java Game Library! | Also, Check out My Site
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline lastdigitofpi

JGO Coder

Medals: 14
Projects: 3
Exp: 8 years

Moebiusgames

« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-04-23 14:52:59 »

This reminds me of my old doom days. Really nice start! Keep up the good work and maybe it will become a cult game itself! Smiley

Follow the development on twitter:@moebiusdev or @xcylin
Xcylin on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/xcylin
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-04-24 00:04:18 »

Thanks! I was going for a Doom-esque feel, I also thought about putting the shotgun in the middle of the screen, similar to Doom.

A bit clueless on the gameplay though, any ideas?  Clueless

Offline lastdigitofpi

JGO Coder

Medals: 14
Projects: 3
Exp: 8 years

Moebiusgames

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-04-26 18:19:42 »

I would go for a lot of NPCs (in sprite style) and include a lot of hidden rooms. Maybe that should be in fact the objectiv - to find all hidden rooms? Just a thought ...

Follow the development on twitter:@moebiusdev or @xcylin
Xcylin on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/xcylin
Offline Vermeer

JGO Coder

Medals: 16

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-04-26 19:29:09 »

Looks good and I bet that will be a fun project to work on. Smiley

Your game should have a good feel to it. How come you have the floor/ceiling and wall textures at different resolutions? It's interesting but a little confusing. Perhaps you have placeholder graphics.

The other thing that is odd is your gun placement - how it does not point at the cross-hair. Maybe it does when You fire?

Not intending any critical thoughts, just curious as I like the look of it and am quite intrigued.
I love the gun graphic, and the colours, It looks like it will be atmospheric. Nice job of that. Smiley

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-04-28 12:11:44 »

I tried making a 64x64 texture for the floor, and it came out a bit weird, so I went with a few basic 16x ones.

SADLY I ended up losing my hard drive, so now I'm having to re-develop the engine, which won't be too hard, now that I know what I am doing.

And as for the crosshair, the gun is in a different position as a fasion choice, and the bullet shoots out directly from the crosshair, not the gun sprite. I must say, this has actually been the most fun I have ever had programming in forever.

I'll try to stay updated Grin

Cheers!

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-04-28 12:16:10 »

I would go for a lot of NPCs (in sprite style) and include a lot of hidden rooms. Maybe that should be in fact the objectiv - to find all hidden rooms? Just a thought ...

As for NPCs, before I lost my hard drive, I was working on adding a merchant.

You could pay up a certain amount of 'Kurlacs' to get something.

As for items:
I don't want every weapon in the game to be a direct upgrade of the previous weapon, instead I'll balance it out so you would have to use a certain weapon in a certain situation. A bit similar to TF2.

Offline Vermeer

JGO Coder

« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-04-28 12:26:27 »

Yes programming can be so much fun.

Do a google search for quake 2 textures - lots of inspiration there! Amazing array of art to draw inspiration from.

Also the weapon balance in a game like quake 2 - every weapon can be as good as every other weapon - like you say depending on situation....oh..and skill with it!

Maybe you could buy armour, regeneration, as well...or bullets?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-04-28 14:13:59 »

Yup, I thought about adding exactly all of those  Cheesy

I'm not going for your average old-timey RPG feel, but a bit more of a doom-ish feel mixed in with a few RPG assets, so the armor and such might be very odd...

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-05-08 01:27:02 »

I made quite a big update.

I changed the leaf and brick textures, and edited the gun sprite a bit.
That aside, I made a HUGE update to the HUD. I added the first 8 slots of the players inventory to the top of the screen, so all of the stats are at the bottom (Does it look too cramped?)

Hopefully I can get some gameplay footage of this soon. I'm working on adding enemies!

I think I finally know what direction I am going in with this project...

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-05-09 09:54:51 »

Hello! I am back and have great news!

I made a few big changes to the HUD, You can now see the name of the item the player is holding, and you can see what level that item is. I also added back "Kurlacs". Kurlacs are basically coins you collect after killing monsters. Certain mobs will have a certain amount of Kurlacs they drop, think of them like experience points.

And I am proud to say I have added a Zombie/Monster thingy! I call him Henry Smiley

I plan on adding a good AI soon. Right now you can kill him, he has 5 health points.
This served more as a test on making billboarded sprites, and I think it turned out well.

My next mission: Enemy AI and Multiplayer, and uh, multiplayer I am heavily scared of.

This is so much fun!!!  Grin

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-05-11 02:49:37 »

I managed to finish the AI, and I FINALLY mastered the kurlacs system.

Soon I will add a merchant, and after that, I, I, I......... Go into the dark side.
Multiplayer.

Really though, any ideas for how the multiplayer game will be?

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 120
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-05-13 09:33:05 »

That has to be one of my favorite zombie graphics ever, great work!

Cheers,

Kev

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-05-14 03:08:45 »

Also note, this is only a placeholder Smiley.

I have the original sprite for it somewhere, it was a lot more detailed, just never got the time to put it into the game.

Offline xpyter

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-05-15 15:10:09 »

wow, this looks nice. keep up the good work!
Offline Vermeer

JGO Coder

« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-05-15 16:37:00 »

Thats looking very good. Nice zombie. Would be interested to give this a play when its ready!
Offline dermetfan

Medals: 11

« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-05-15 19:42:30 »

I want to play it! Great work!

Offline ulixava

Medals: 4
Projects: 1

« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-05-15 21:51:53 »

It really looks great! FINISH IT QUICKLY! PEOPLE WANT TO TRY IT! :-)
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-05-16 11:40:54 »

The game will never be 'finished', but I might have a build out soon, for testing, at least.

I can't figure out what the gameplay will be like, or how the player is introduced to the game, or what they do when they first get it, I don't know, so many ideas.

With multiplayer though, I plan on having multiple modes:

• Co-Op -- this is basically the same game, but with multiple people to hang around with while playing.
  • PVP/PVE -- this is self explanatory: Player vs. Player action, yeah!
  • Capture the flag -- also self explanatory, however it might be something like 'capture the coin' or something like that.

I'm just scared to get started with multiplayer, I'm clueless when it comes to networking. Anyone have any ideas or would like to help out a bit?

Also, as I speak I am adding a merchant, so I will finally have a start to a successful economy system!

Offline ulixava

Medals: 4
Projects: 1

« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-05-16 16:54:46 »

I could help you out a bit. You can easely reach me through Skype. I go by the name 'ulixava' on Skype too. Cheesy
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #22 - Posted 2013-05-16 18:18:56 »

Ah, that'll be perfect.

I think I might clean up a crap-ton of my code before I get to in-depth with things, haha.
Really, I once lost all the source code for this project, so I had to find an earlier version off of my media server, THEN i had to decompile the jar file, and the program I used to decompile it liked to put nasty comments everywhere, to basically pose as the line numbers. Really annoying.

Meanwhile, here's my latest update, I added doors (still incredibly buggy), treasure chests, and a ton of bug fixes.
Also, I made a launcher for the game, it works pretty well. I added cheat codes, which allow for fun easter eggs to add, so that was pretty fun.
I gave the player the name 'Duke' by default Grin. I love it, because gamers will think it's just a default name, and Java developers actually get the joke Smiley.

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

« Reply #23 - Posted 2013-06-26 06:18:18 »

Welp, I guess I can very well say goodbye to this project.

I lost the source code too many times, and I honestly don't feel like restarting it Emo

Offline wessles

JGO Wizard

Medals: 64

« Reply #24 - Posted 2013-06-26 06:21:54 »

Aww... Looking forwards to pixel space!

Offline xmakina

Senior Newbie

« Reply #25 - Posted 2013-06-26 16:01:24 »

I realise it's not much good now but can I suggest a combination of Dropbox and SVN to stop this happening in future? Create a repo on dropbox, commit into it and that'll then get backed up to the cloud meaning even if you're hard drive drops dead you'll still have your work saved.
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 201

« Reply #26 - Posted 2013-06-27 00:09:35 »

You can have private repos for free on Bitbucket.  There's just no excuse for losing source in this day and age other than subconsciously wanting to see it gone.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Riven (5 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (6 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (6 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (40 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (36 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (30 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (32 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (47 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (48 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53

OpenGLShaders (38 views)
2014-07-14 16:23:47
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org