News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  JTowerDefense  (Read 2083 times)
Offline ursteiner

Projects: 4

« Posted 2013-04-18 23:02:14 »

The first bigger game I implemented is JTowerDefense.
You can download the game from my blog: http://chmu.bplaced.net/?p=1023

The menu:

The game (not the newest screenshot)

Highscores can be submitted to the blog. On the right side of the page you can see the top10 players.
Have fun trying it out Smiley

The description of the game is in german, but i can translate if anyone has a question.  Wink
Offline kutucuk

Medals: 5
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-04-19 06:34:33 »

I liked the game.
I have some suggestions if you don't mind...
Time speed should have less steps or an easier way of setting it should be implemented. You know it is too slow at first so you increase speed by 3 mouse clicks I guess, but when the enemies get stronger, you have to decide between slowing down the game and deploying a new tower.
Tower colors tell it all, that is nice. But I feel like upgrades cost same for all. The middle one (which can kill both blue and orange enemies) should have a higher upgrade cost.
BTW, I couldn't see how much an upgrade costs.
I know it's not finished, but adding an option to sell the towers would be nice, of course [Game HAS a selling option, but it is not obvious]
And, consider a way of showing how many upgrades a tower has (maximum).
When the special type of enemy is about to be spawned (invisible ones) warn the user so he can do something about it.
Of course, full screen or a bigger screen would be cool Smiley

Well, I translated the page into my language using google translate and I saw that you have shortcuts for everything Cheesy So, scratch the time speed setting thing.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-04-19 12:41:57 »

Hi

Do you plan to use Java Web Start?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ursteiner

« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-04-19 14:38:08 »

You have some good points kutucuk! I think I am going to change the things you mentioned.

Hmm gouessej I dont think that i am going to use Web Start. Not sure, but I think downloading a jar-file is not a problem.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-04-19 16:11:47 »

Not sure, but I think downloading a jar-file is not a problem.
Actually, assuming that a JAR file can be "run" by double-clicking is risky and I'm not alone to say that as you can see here. A JAR can be opened by another application by default with Arch under GNU Linux or WinRAR under Windows. There is no such problem with JNLP files used by Java Web Start. This is not a problem for Java programmers but other people might just consider that your game doesn't work and give up. A JNLP file pointing to a single JAR would only take a few minutes to be written and if you don't need any permission, you wouldn't have to sign it anyway. Java Web Start is very simple but if you don't like it, feel free to use another installer (GetDown, IzPack, ...).

Offline ursteiner

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-04-19 16:49:08 »

hmm you´re right, web start sounds better than offering a .jar. Do you know a good tutorial for setting up such a mechanism?
Offline gouessej
« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-04-21 00:39:26 »

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/webstart/

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print