So apparently my last post was so far back, that I wasn't even able to post something ... but thanks to Riven the thread is open again
What happend with Xcylin in the meantime? A lot of things! First the good news:Greenlight>>>Xcylin is on STEAM GREENLIGHT!
And I'd really appreciate it if you guys could vote for it. To be honest, the first days went quite well, but now it is complicated (at least for me) to do PR that helps to get people to vote for it
(I'm just so not the PR guy
). If you have any suggestions for that, please reply to this post! Thanks!Update/Trailer
I took the liberty to update the first posting to reflect the current state of the game. I added new screenshots and
put the current greenlight trailer up:http://www.youtube.com/v/FXk4c14asQI?version=3&hl=en_US&start=Development state
After close to four years of development, Xcylin's engine is nearly finished. Here are some of the highlights that I added to the game after my last posting here:
- I redesigned the whole UI to make it appear more futuristic and also to be as functional as possible
- equipable slots were added (at the bottom) and two special equipment slots for armor and energy were added
- a simple crafting was added, which I call "Microcrafting" - you only have four slots and only the types of the items involved and their amount is important for crafting (but not the arrangement) - this way I want the player to find crafting recipes on their own without having to look them up in some wiki. Later I'll also add Replicators which will require blueprints to replicate more complex items.
- I also integrated a mini-map in the left upper corner, as well as a fullscreen map with three zoom levels. The player has access to these maps from the begining and they can set markings for important places
- on the top of the screen we now have a time tracker kind of UI that shows the current ingame time, the position of the sun, the direction as well as the player's current Cartesian coordinates on the planet
- I replaced the old blocky style items with new low-poly style items
I also added a special world that I call "the Construct", where I can build things that can be put into the game later. Like for example the ship wreck, in which the player wakes up at the begining of the game. This is a screenshot of the construct:
It also has special items that help to build up walls quickly (like the red wand thing).
I've also finished adding ingame wireless systems to control doors, lights etc. It uses so called "Frequency Chips" that come in pairs and two with the same transponder id can be used to connect two devices:
And for more complex systems, there is the ingame computer, that allows to do some boolean logic:
This also makes hacking in puzzles possible.
Next are shaders: I was able to archive water effects and glass (even tainted one):
Then I updated the surface generation completely to include natural occuring water - which is not as simple as it sounds (you have to make sure that there is no cave directly below it or it will run into that cave):
I introduced drilling laser classes, so that some lasers are not able to destroy a certain kind of block - very important for the puzzels! Think of it like in Zelda: you need that special glove to lift these heavy stones.
A lot of new items were added:
I started to build the first ship wreck:
And fixed a lots of bugs (and continue to do so every day
I hope I gave you an impression of how Xcylin progressed within the last year - if you have any question about a specific topic I mentioned (or did not mention), please go ahead and post it - I'm glad to answer all questions!
And please don't forget to >>> Vote for Xcylin on STEAM GREENLIGHT!
Or visit our website: >>> Xcylin.com