Now that I have more time for Xcylin, here is an update on what I'm currently working on:
I noticed a slight jitter when the sectors are getting build that really annoyes me. So I'm doing a lot of benchmarking to find the source. So far I found out that the state manager update most likely causes the jitter by taking more then 11ms in some situations. In normal conditions (no new sectors are being built) one loop just takes 0.9ms. I already accounted for 4ms of that 11ms but the other 7ms are still a mystery.
I think this all has something to do with the biome generation: when a sector is built for the first time the according biom/shaper method is called that allows to create trees/plants etc. This also updates in some situations other sectors (e.g. when the leafs of a tree expand to a different sector) so a lot of sectors have to be recreated and that might lead to the jitter.
Maybe I have to split the mesh of a sector into smaller parts but I already tried that once with 16x16x16 block parts that only resulted in a huge framerate drop. So possibly I have to go with 16x128x16 block parts. I think I will have to experiment for a while to get this right. Too bad I really want to add more features and not debug for some days Nevertheless I have decided to use this thread as a kind of blog for the development of Xcylin as long as I have no time to create a website
. So check this page from time to time if you want to stay up to date. I will also announce the alpha test here.
Also: here is a recent screenshot of an underground jitter testing site on Xcylin.