Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Hello, and question about other jvm languages  (Read 1821 times)
Offline Sublixt

Senior Newbie

« Posted 2013-03-17 00:32:07 »

Hello! I've had an account on here for some time now mostly just lurking and answering a few questions here and there. I've started having a lot of fun with game development again and decided to try to become a little more active.
My question is: how open is this forum to other JVM languages? I currently prefer using Scala to Java and have been working on a functional, side-effect free game library. I was wondering if I could post my library(when it is ready, I still have a ways to go) on these forums?
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-03-17 02:53:08 »

One thing for sure when you post something non-Java like Scala, it won't hit all users. Some members have exp with Scala though.

Offline Sublixt

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-03-17 03:53:44 »

One thing for sure when you post something non-Java like Scala, it won't hit all users. Some members have exp with Scala though.

I realized that I wouldn't hit everyone. Over the years I noticed many people say they liked using other JVM languages but never saw anything targeted toward them. I was just wondering if there were any restrictions on posts, being a Java gaming site, or if the site was a little liberal and would allow all JVM based posts for the few?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-03-17 09:38:43 »

I'm pretty sure theres nothing against asking quesions JVM languages. We do have guys having experience in writing with those languages, like ReBirth already said.

It's all okey, unless you start posting games made with C++ (or C# hehe...) here. Scala games / projects were already posted here, so I think there is no problem with that...

But I'm actually not the person to ask :/ Riven might help you out there.

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 748
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-03-17 10:06:40 »

Posting a game written in any JVM based language is OK, as your goal is that others will play your game, which everybody here with a JVM installed will be able to.

Posting a library written in any JVM based language is OK. However, given that your goal of releasing a library is for others to use it, there is little to no point in actually doing that. People releasing Java libraries have enough trouble as is for their libraries to gain any momentum.

It's like releasing a short Dutch story on an English forum. Some members here are Dutch, they'll understand - others might shrug and go back to the previous webpage. Regardless how awesome your library is, there is literally a language barrier.

werp twee geleende eieren in het beslag

Please elaborate on this snippet from the Dutch cookbook, in Dutch.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-03-17 10:08:42 »

werp twee geleende eieren in het beslag

Throw to eggs into the dough... Roll Eyes

See my:
Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-03-17 10:11:00 »

*whoosh* Pointing

Did you hear that?

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-03-17 20:06:34 »

It might be Dutch, but I'm having trouble not hearing it in the voice of the Swedish Chef.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Oh, and I'm more than happy to see more Scala represented here, including libraries, but if you're making one for game devs to use, you're going to want to give it a straight Java API too.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-03-18 03:38:38 »

Woaah you're starting to discriminate me, European! Grin *google translate*

Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-03-18 10:38:14 »

Oh, and I'm more than happy to see more Scala represented here

The point I was trying to make is that you are as open to Scala on this forums as I am open to Dutch posts. It's just that it has little to no value to everybody else.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-03-18 16:53:12 »

Oh, and I'm more than happy to see more Scala represented here

The point I was trying to make is that you are as open to Scala on this forums as I am open to Dutch posts. It's just that it has little to no value to everybody else.

Oh well, I'd be intrested in scala, I'd also support people having issues with it. At least... when I'm able to Wink

See my:
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-03-18 23:34:07 »

If there's an interesting Scala library released as a .jar, I'd be more interested in it than 2 borrowed eggs  Smiley
That said, my assumption there is that this Scala written library will be perfectly usable from java.

But I'm actually quite interested in Scala, so while it might not reach everyone here I'd say bring it on nonetheless!

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-03-19 17:09:37 »

That said, my assumption there is that this Scala written library will be perfectly usable from java.

Well... It'd surely possible, but that's probably not the intention of Scala as a language. It's hard to use Scala, because you'd need to write method names like "Int.$less(otherInt)"...

See my:
Offline gene9

Medals: 9

« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-03-19 17:22:47 »

Hello! I've had an account on here for some time now mostly just lurking and answering a few questions here and there. I've started having a lot of fun with game development again and decided to try to become a little more active.
My question is: how open is this forum to other JVM languages? I currently prefer using Scala to Java and have been working on a functional, side-effect free game library. I was wondering if I could post my library(when it is ready, I still have a ways to go) on these forums?

I think this forum is extremely open to Scala. Scala lives in the same ecosystem of libraries and deals with the same runtime issues as Java. Making a Scala lib usable from Java takes work (look at Akka/Play).

Scala is a much more elegant language than Java (or C# or C++). I generally use it whenever I have the choice. One exception is if I had to do a simple Android project, I'd probably stick with basic Java due to tool/runtime issues.
Offline Sublixt

Senior Newbie

« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-03-20 04:41:17 »

Well... It'd surely possible, but that's probably not the intention of Scala as a language. It's hard to use Scala, because you'd need to write method names like "Int.$less(otherInt)"...

I really wish Scala code was translated to something a little more readable so calling from Java wouldn't be such a pain.

Scala is a much more elegant language than Java (or C# or C++). I generally use it whenever I have the choice. One exception is if I had to do a simple Android project, I'd probably stick with basic Java due to tool/runtime issues.

I love Scala because I love Java. Ive always liked Java syntax(compared to c based languages) and Scala syntax feels like Java, but shorter.

I would have to agree on the Android thing. Scala creates too many short lived objects for Android to handle.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (10 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (21 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (14 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (12 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (32 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (42 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (42 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (29 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org