Games in Android Showcase (118)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (567)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Anybody Else Watching These Excellent Tutorials?  (Read 1034 times)
Offline TifantaWorld

Medals: 2

« Posted 2013-03-15 22:35:28 »

I found these great tutorials on Youtube a couple days ago. They're about game design using Java. The goal is to keep them relatively bite-sized, and to teach in pure Java (so no external libraries) from a beginner's perspective. I think they could be difficult to pick up for somebody with absolutely zero Java experience, but the guy does a far, far better job of explaining what he's actually doing than pretty much any other coding tutorial I've ever seen on Youtube. He takes it bit-by-bit with each video, and is up to 60-something episodes now, the first one from months ago, and the latest one posted a couple days ago (so this guy is clearly committed to what he's doing).

Anyway, not sure if they've been mentioned yet. Just wanted to share them, since as somebody with a solid knowledge of the Java basics but really no clue about game design strategies, they seem really fantastic so far.
Offline davedes
« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-03-15 23:26:44 »

Imagine if he made the series using LibGDX or some other modern API, instead of the practically defunct Java2D (for gamedev purposes). Hell, the first 10 lessons are spent writing Java2D boilerplate to render some pixels -- it would have been only a couple of lines in any other game-centric library (i.e. LibGDX).

Offline TifantaWorld

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-03-16 00:17:24 »

Well, it's meant to be viewed by people who are at sort of the ground-level with game design, and even with Java itself. I think we can all agree that trying to begin by teaching people an external library may not be the best way to fulfill that end, since you kind of want to teach people about the things going on "under the hood" which may get glossed over by certain handy features of libGDX or whatever else. Once you understand what's happening, of course you want to work with libraries that make your life easier. But if you don't even know how to form a game loop, or how to set up buffers to render pixels to a canvas, and stuff like that, it's best to get a detailed overview of it first.

I don't think he's saying "Java 2D is the best thing to use for making a game." That's not the point. He's teaching fundamentals. In fact, he even says that he'll try to get around, at a later date, to making a series of videos about working with OpenGL and the like. It's just not within the scope of what he's trying to do here.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-03-16 02:07:56 »

Oh FFS, java2d is hardly bare metal, and there's more going on "under the hood" with it than with anything over OpenGL.  In fact, Java2D's abstractions are the problem when it suddenly decides to keep your images in main RAM or just use a software renderer altogether and you can't do jack about it.

It doesn't get any more "under the hood" than writing a shader.
Offline actual

JGO Coder

Medals: 23

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-03-16 02:26:03 »

While not libGDX, I have found these LWJGL tutorials to be pretty good so far.
Offline TifantaWorld

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-03-16 02:28:31 »

Oh FFS, java2d is hardly bare metal, and there's more going on "under the hood" with it than with anything over OpenGL.  In fact, Java2D's abstractions are the problem when it suddenly decides to keep your images in main RAM or just use a software renderer altogether and you can't do jack about it.

It doesn't get any more "under the hood" than writing a shader.

In any case, he's chosen his scope, and whether you like that scope or not, he's doing a far better job of explaining these fundamental aspects of game design than most Youtube tutorial makers. I'm just letting people know that this exists, because I personally am finding it to be a helpful introduction. And that's all he's designed these videos to be. Criticizing them because he's not using the external libraries of your choosing is totally counterproductive, especially if you're interested in nurturing the Java game design community. Beginners can learn external libraries whenever they want. Understanding fundamental design is a good way to start the larger process.
Offline mojo
« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-03-16 04:48:06 »

I was browsing this guy portfolio and found this gem

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RapaiayaHZc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/RapaiayaHZc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

He entered Ludum Dare 24 with a game, but exept that, can anyone find some other work (not tutorials) from him?
Offline TifantaWorld

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-03-16 11:06:49 »

Yeah, he seems like a pretty entertaining dude. I haven't had the time to look at but a tiny fraction of his Youtube output thus far.
Online Phased
« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-03-16 11:37:33 »

I watch his videos now and again out of boredom, no I don't use java2d anymore.
Genesis (his ld24 game) I believe is his only game completed) on his twitter he said he does software engineering.

He also believed till about a month ago that a good programmer can make there game in java2D run the same as on OpenGL.

Some of his code is horrible, later on at like episode 60 he finally starts rendering a tiled map from a .png file with different sprites. He is making multiple classes of grass like SpawnGrass and will prob make level1Grass etc because he wants to make it neat" and is also creating multiple .png files and loading them that will contain the same images. He has a .png file for spawn a .png file for another level etc. I say he would be good for beginners Due to his explaining but he makes some pretty bad choices in implementation.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Pippogeek (39 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (30 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (19 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (44 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (27 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (62 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (32 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (39 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (50 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (54 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org