Games in Android Showcase (118)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (567)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  What's your favourite IDE?  (Read 13806 times)
Offline misterX

java forever!

« Posted 2003-12-17 18:56:50 »

Roll Eyes
Offline cfmdobbie

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-12-17 20:30:09 »

I'm a die-hard Eclipse fan myself.  A wonderful tool - it has a few bugs, but the productivity gains it provides more than make up for the occasional problems.

I know a few here use IDEA - any chance of adding that as an option?

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline tom
« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-12-17 20:32:11 »

Visual SlickEdit here.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Herkules

Friendly fire isn't friendly!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-12-18 05:22:42 »

Hm, I like NetBeans, love IDEA (but don't have one), sometimes favor Together, even JBuilder rulez for some tasks.

How do I express that?
Tongue

HARDCODE    --     DRTS/FlyingGuns/JPilot/JXInput  --    skype me: joerg.plewe
Offline Preston

Medals: 4

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-12-18 06:06:43 »

Yes, I too needed to vote with multiple answers.
I'm using JBuilder and JEdit - how do I express that? :-)
Offline tortoise

<3 Shmups

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-12-18 18:27:18 »

If Eclipse was human I'd marry it. I don't think any other software has a better quality to price ratio (ignoring the division by zero Smiley ).
Offline misterX

java forever!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-12-19 07:26:38 »

sorry for no multiple choices, but i prefer keep it like this because the question is about your favourite IDE. if you're using several IDEs, just select the one you prefer or are using the most, that will be all right.
Wink
Offline sugarshark

Sugar to the sharks.

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-12-27 22:09:38 »

GNU Emacs with JDEE[1], Emacs Code Browser[2], Xrefactory[3] and various other modes: Reading Javadoc with emacs-w3m, code-folding with outline-mode and cvs with pcvs-mode, etc.
Of course as well: Mail & News with Gnus  and IRC with erc. No need to leave Emacs, never  Grin

Footnotes:
1. http://jdee.sunsite.dk
2. http://ecb.sf.net
3. http://www.xref-tech.com

I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.  
Then I realized who was telling me this.
-- Emo Phillips
Offline Golthar

;)

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-01-07 10:05:30 »

Eclipse wants my babies  Shocked

come visit us: http://www.otf1337.com
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-01-07 21:35:36 »

No need to leave Emacs, never  Grin

Well, maybe to get a life...  Grin

I never did like emacs.. but I guess if that is what you are used to it does the trick.   I think what you are exposed to first has a strong influence on what you will like.  E.g. I had a full screen editor for BASIC on my Commodore 64 which I consider superior to vi in many ways, though it had pretty much no features.  Since I moved to a system with a real GUI after that (Amiga) and have never used a computer that didn't have cursor keys.. I find the vi interface to be really laughable.  But many people love it.  It is all because they were forced to learn it at some point.

If I was forced to learn (not just *use*) NetBeans or other IDEs I'm sure my opinion of them would improve.

So far though I've only really used NetBeans, Eclipse, and if you count it, jEdit.  Eclipse irritated my a bit with it's forced 'workspace' file arrangement when i was first starting, then I realized that I worked that way anyway, so long as I set the workspace folder to my development folder it fit well.  Now I think eclipse lets you use files from outside the workspace folder.. but I never do that anyway.  
With Netbeans the file organization was initially more intuitive to me, but i found configuring everything else to be a nightmare.

Now I'm used to the Eclipse outline vies and call stand views and ctrl-click to go to a definition etc.. so I work quickly with it.  The refactoring tools are a big plus too.  If NetBeans got refactoring tools I would reconsider it.  If IntilliJ Idea was free I might switch to it.. though I tried a trial version a couple years ago and while it was really nice in some ways there were other things that I would need  to get used to.

I think price is a big factor that is putting Eclipse and NetBeans at the top of this poll though.  IntellliJ Idea would likely be much more popular if it was also free.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline jtr

Senior Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-01-08 00:33:50 »

I grew up with emacs and vi and am still comfortable with them but...

Netbeans beats them all for me.  Intellij might be an option, but it is just too much for me for hobby use.  Eclipse is interesting and I forced myself to use 3.0Mx over the last few months to see how the other side lives.  I do like the (relative) native fidelity, but the UI is just too slow to use on Linux.  Eclipse's refactoring is (IMHO) it's only major selling point.

NetBean's 3.6 dev builds are nice.  Much quicker than Eclipse.  Easier to configure projects too.

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 386
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-01-08 08:05:13 »

Eclipse would be unbeatable if only it came with a built-in Swing GUI editor. It's still my favourite nonetheless.

Cas Smiley

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-01-08 08:06:34 »

I bet Elias, who is a Linux afficionado, writes bytecodes backwards in octal using banks of switches in a panel. Can we add that to the poll?

Cas Smiley

Offline Breakfast

for great justice!

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-01-08 08:21:41 »

I use netbeans because I downloaded it one day and have to much inertia to get around to changing it. It seems to do all the things I need it to anyways.

I used to use an ide called Kawa and that was absolutely fantastic but it got bought out by someone ( ?Bea? - someone like that ) who had their own, endlessly inferior IDE and they dropped it. Very sad.
Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-01-08 11:41:26 »

Kawa got me through university.  I'd tried so many different IDEs at that point, but Kawa was the one program that stayed out of my way and let me write code.  Everything else was way too high spec for my machine anyway.  It got bought by Macromedia I believe?  Turned into some Dreamweaver Frankenstein and disappeared, as I recall.

I'm now playing with Eclipse 3.0M6, and it seems fine so far.  Not many obvious changes to the UI, as you'd expect with a third major revision.  They've seperated "Tasks" into "Tasks" and "Problems", which is nice; there's a couple of progress bars here and there; more feedback on CVS activity (or the lack thereof); editor's got a few extra tricks.

Offline sugarshark

Sugar to the sharks.

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-01-08 12:51:21 »

So it seems there are only two groups of developers: the ones that have found the tool(s) they are comfortable with, and the ones that are still searching.
Well, maybe to get a life...  

... or to read java-gaming.org. It renders so bad in emacs-w3m.

I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.  
Then I realized who was telling me this.
-- Emo Phillips
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-01-08 15:39:57 »

NetBean's 3.6 dev builds are nice.  Much quicker than Eclipse.  Easier to configure projects too.

Hmm. Eclipse must be much slower on Linux??  I think one of the motivations for SWT was that "swing was slow" (we all know now that it is misuse of swing that leads to slowness - not swing itself ,right Smiley)

On my Windows box Eclipse runs well. On my Mac it is a little bit slow.  But in both cases the last time I tried NetBeans it was much slower...  I should grab the latest version just to see what has changed.

Anyone else find it sad that Sun and IBM can't agree on a common tools interface that can be implemented by both of the popular IDEs?

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-01-08 19:16:50 »

Results of my test-run of Eclipse 3.0M6: wait for M7! Wink

After discovering that on my machine at least it can't restore a workspace properly if you left it in the Java perspective, I've reverted back to 2.1.2.  But when it stabilises, Eclipse 3.0 is going to be a must-have - it includes lots of little improvements that really do make a difference.

Edit: Errr... and 2.1.2 is broken as well!  I think something else may be up...

Edit2: I think I know what the problem was, but can't tell you here as I'm under NDA. Wink  Suffice to say, I've reverted to JDK1.4.2 and all is well with 2.1.2.  Better give 3.0M6 another go now.

Edit3: 3.0M6 is fine, as far as I can tell.  All apparent problems were the result of using an incompatible JDK (again, I can't tell you which).  Something seems a little sluggish at times, but I suspect that was due to a rogue Java process that was taking up a lot of CPU time - unproven because I'm currently using Win98.

Thumbs Down now becomes Thumbs Up!

Offline pepijnve

Java games rock!

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-01-16 21:24:57 »

I use idea at work and at home. I find it to be the best in terms of useability and workflow. I've used jbuilder 5, eclipse, netbeans, kawa and vi in the past but none of them came close. The price tag is a downside though.
Offline duncanIdaho

invert mouse

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-01-23 21:07:01 »

I was a huge IDEA advocate as early as last summer, but things like my Ant window stealing focus and CVS errors made me very receptive to Eclipse when it was the buzz around the office.

A few bugs, yes, but version 3.0 is going to be the new hotness.  Fare thee well IDEA.

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-01-25 15:59:07 »

Before you throw the towel in for IDEA check out the beta of the new version that supports generics and such. It's looking sweet, apart from, of course, the crap jaggy look & feel we've come to associate with Swing Sad

(I've just made an antialised look and feel based on Alloy and it looks lovely. Why doesn't everyone do this? Why isn't it built in to the JRE? Doh)

Cas Smiley

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-01-25 16:29:05 »

Any chance of leting others use that L&F? I'm using the Kunststoff look and feel at the moment to get away from the drab grey look, but I'm always willing to give another one a try Smiley

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-01-25 17:52:43 »

I like the MetalLookAndFeel in Java 1.5, though it isn't antialiased

Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #23 - Posted 2004-01-25 19:44:10 »

Give over! Metal is hideous.

The trick to doing AA L&F btw is just subclassing the UI class and overriding paint() to set the antialiasing rendering hint on the graphics argument. Nothing more complicated than that.

Cas Smiley

Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #24 - Posted 2004-01-25 20:27:27 »

Hmm, are we talking the same metal?, like this one:

if so, you have a weird definition of hideous!
THIS is hideous: Grin
Click to Play

btw, what single UI class? - there are a gazillion of them in the Metal L&F

Offline duncanIdaho

invert mouse

« Reply #25 - Posted 2004-01-26 19:33:01 »

Somewhat on topic:  Sun to join the Eclipse Foundation?
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1460112,00.asp
Online princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #26 - Posted 2004-01-26 19:41:11 »

That truly is a hideous interface.
You have to subclass ALL of the UI classes Sad A major pain in the arse, considering how easy it is for Sun just to add the antialiasing flag to Swing in general.

Cas Smiley

Offline PeterB

« Reply #27 - Posted 2005-09-04 01:04:58 »

I'm a netbeans man myself, largely because that's what I use at work. The refactoring option can often totally screw up your code though.

Vault101 / Mace The Game
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Offline bauerr

Java!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

« Reply #28 - Posted 2005-09-04 10:54:03 »

I like Eclipse (but I'm thinking about switching back to 2.1).
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #29 - Posted 2005-09-05 03:13:20 »

Well, Im using Eclispe 3.1 and Im quite happy with it,.

It does do the ocassional lag which Eclispe doesnt, BUT oits also doing a lot mreo work as its watchign me code and offering to complete all sorts of thinsg for me as I go.

I don't buy the "IBM did SWT because Swing was slow" argument.  Swing's been fine since 1.3.  Rather I tink it coems down to fighting over platform control.

I use Eclipse.  I like Eclispe. I write Swing code 'cause thats what I know.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Pippogeek (37 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (29 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (18 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (42 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (24 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (61 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (36 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (49 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (52 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org