Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  I Switched to IDEA!  (Read 5417 times)
Offline BoBear2681

JGO Coder

Medals: 18

« Reply #30 - Posted 2013-03-11 14:21:45 »

Personally I have to flex my entire hand to be able to "ctrl+y", but I can do "ctrl+d" with ease.

Not that I use IDEA, but can't you just use both  hands for that shortcut?  If you're shortcut-driven then both hands will be on the keyboard most of the time, then shortcuts like those aren't a problem.  Not to mention you get to be one of those geeky people who brag about never using a mouse!
Offline Roquen
« Reply #31 - Posted 2013-03-11 14:28:22 »

Mice slow you down...hey! wait!
Offline sproingie
« Reply #32 - Posted 2013-03-11 16:49:50 »

IDEA's behavior of ctrl-x without a selection is one thing I sorely miss whenever I go back to Eclipse for whatever reason (such as FPEclipse for Haskell).  It's a little thing, but it's something I never did find a plugin to do in eclipse.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

Medals: 49
Projects: 5

I always win!

« Reply #33 - Posted 2013-03-11 16:58:32 »

Darcula theme is beautiful for my eyes except for a couple syntax colors which I changed.

Appel, you can't complain the keymap is bad when you can easily change it to your IDE's presests. Tongue

Haha, I found it. Well, I'm so lazy...  I just judge products in the package they are shipped in, and not how they can be differently configured. Default should be convenient.

Check out the 4K competition @ www.java4k.com
Check out GAMADU (my own site) @ http://gamadu.com/
Offline Danny02
« Reply #34 - Posted 2013-03-11 19:49:24 »

i'm always wondering why so less people seem to use netbeans. or is it just that there is nothing for them to complain about Cheesy
i gave eclips a few times a try or worked with others who use it and the experience with netbeans was always better.

working support for needed tools auto of the box(to much to count,maven vc...)
more intelligent autocomplete
faster start-up
a lot less complex and simpler/easier settings
logical interface
new html5 features
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 322
Projects: 2
Exp: 4 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #35 - Posted 2013-03-11 21:11:56 »

i'm always wondering why so less people seem to use netbeans. or is it just that there is nothing for them to complain about Cheesy
Because its UI is ugly as hell Smiley

Offline Sindisil

Senior Newbie

Medals: 2

« Reply #36 - Posted 2013-03-11 23:19:01 »

I very much prefer NetBeans myself. 7.3 was a particularly nice release, though a few bugs I reported that happen to annoy me in my personal use have been fixed post release, so I've been running dev for a few weeks here. It's actually been very, very stable, so I doubt I'm going to switch back to the normal release any time soon.

I only have two real complaints about NetBeans right now.

First, it's Git integration is just slightly inferior to Eclipse's egit. Not a huge issue, since I do most of my git interaction at the command line anyway, but there are a few more things that egit supports than NetBeans. I will say, though, that I mostly prefer NetBeans' Git integration WRT the features that *are* there.

Second, and far and away most important, is the Android support. NBAndroid is actually quite serviceable for straight ahead Android development (i.e. using the standard APIs). However, trying to use it with libraries that have native components (like libgdx) has been a PITA. I'm on vacation this week, so I'm going to try to find time to make another run at it, but my last attempt was painful and messy enough that I'll just go ahead and call it a failure.

I was in quite a hurry when I tried it, though, and the experience in Eclipse and Idea was so smooth that I might have just been to impatient to get it right off.

Speaking of Idea, I own a license, and it's pretty darn slick for Java and Android development. If it had C & C++ support at least as good as CDT (or better, as good as NetBeans), I'd probably switch & not look back.
Offline Rickmeister

Medals: 9
Projects: 1
Exp: 15 years

Don't eat yellow snow!

« Reply #37 - Posted 2013-03-11 23:40:43 »

I've been using IDEA for so long, I find eclipse keybindings awkward... Wink
Offline matheus23

JGO Wizard

Medals: 97
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #38 - Posted 2013-03-12 14:58:34 »

I have to say... no wait..

Actually I have to say: Thank you ra! Wink

It both somehow got the idea of switching, since eclipse was running very, very slow on my X-machine here... (dunno about windows) and I also heard that the Scala-plugin for IDEA is better than for Eclipse. In Eclipse it seemed very buggy and that somehow turned me off learning scala...

Now finally I'm using IDEA (at least for scala) and learn a lot of scala coding and am AMAZED... I kind of miss the REPL feature eclipse's scala plugin gave me, but that's okey I guess ^^

Well yeah... IntelliJ IDEA seems to be awesome...

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline Catharsis

EGR Software rocks!

« Reply #39 - Posted 2013-03-12 18:55:26 »

I've been using Idea for over 10 years, but v12 impressed me considerably. In my efforts with TyphonRT which is composed of 700 source code modules v12 with the compilation improvements takes 23 seconds on a circa '11 MBP w/ an SSD for a fresh build. Prior to v12 9 minutes; I was definitely getting worried! I'm liking v12 a lot and very glad about the community edition being available if I initially have to depend on others who want to work with the source directly using Idea if there are any potential Eclipse issues with large amounts of modules.

Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org/
http://www.egrsoftware.com/
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #40 - Posted 2013-03-14 15:19:51 »

So, I switched to Eclipse shortcuts in IDEA... but there's one critical thing that doesn't work... it's the left-hand auto-assignment.

E.g. if you write:

"myService.getData()" (with caret at the end) and then  do ctrl+1 you can auto-complete it so it's:

"List<Data> data = myService.getData();"

This is not possible in IDEA even after switching to Eclipse shortcuts.

Offline Spasi
« Reply #41 - Posted 2013-03-14 16:18:28 »

The built-in way to do it is with an intention: alt+enter => Introduce local variable. Not sure if alt+enter works with the Eclipse keymap. Also, this intention should be the first one almost always, so it's a quick alt+enter+enter.

Alternatively, you can use a Live Template (another one of my favorite IDEA features). I tried the following and it seems to work ok, but there might a better way:

Abbreviation: auto
Template text:

$TYPE$ $VAR$ = $EXPR$;
$END$

Template variable setup (the order is important):

Name: EXPR
Name: VAR, Expression: suggestVariableName()
Name: TYPE, Expression: rightSideType(), Default value: "Object", Skip if defined: checked

Options: +Reformat according to style
Scope: Java statement & declaration.

You use it by typing: "auto" + <expand with character> + type the expression + <enter> + type the variable name.
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #42 - Posted 2013-03-14 16:57:21 »

The built-in way to do it is with an intention: alt+enter => Introduce local variable. Not sure if alt+enter works with the Eclipse keymap. Also, this intention should be the first one almost always, so it's a quick alt+enter+enter.

Alternatively, you can use a Live Template (another one of my favorite IDEA features). I tried the following and it seems to work ok, but there might a better way:

Abbreviation: auto
Template text:

$TYPE$ $VAR$ = $EXPR$;
$END$

Template variable setup (the order is important):

Name: EXPR
Name: VAR, Expression: suggestVariableName()
Name: TYPE, Expression: rightSideType(), Default value: "Object", Skip if defined: checked

Options: +Reformat according to style
Scope: Java statement & declaration.

You use it by typing: "auto" + <expand with character> + type the expression + <enter> + type the variable name.

alt+enter in intellij gives me only "iterate", possibly because of the returned value is a collection.

Sad this isn't built in Sad

Offline cylab

JGO Knight

Medals: 34

« Reply #43 - Posted 2013-03-14 17:04:46 »

I am afraid, you have to move the cursor one character to the left before hitting Alt+Enter...

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline R.D.

Medals: 2
Projects: 1

"For the last time, Hats ARE Awesome"

« Reply #44 - Posted 2013-03-14 17:11:33 »

Since I'm already using WebStorm I would like to use IDEA, but I don't like the community version for some reason. I also miss the working sets and workspace feature. Especially with libgdx you have up to 4 projects for you game (base, desktop, android, html) and I would like to switch between them fast (Maybe I'm just did not see this feature?).
I would also love to test out the Scala feature. I started to like scripting languages for some reason.

WebStorm misses this too which is a downer but for JavaScript, WebStorm or PhpStorm are so slick.
Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #45 - Posted 2013-03-14 17:13:13 »

I don't know why... but intellij is ignoring my tabs.

Let's say you write a line starting with no whitespace/tabs at start:
"myCode"

then you decide to indent it using two tabs:
"--> --> myCode"

yet when you move your caret with the arrow keys, it behaves like the two tabs are whitespaces, so it requires 8 presses on arrow-left to get to the beginning of the line instead of just 2!

This really makes indenting your code difficult, because it depends on where place your caret how much your code is indented when using tab. Intellij uses some mix of whitespace/tab indentation that is really strange. I JUST WANT TABS.

I hate these little off-subtleties, having to customize everything just to get what is standard in other editors.

Offline cylab

JGO Knight

« Reply #46 - Posted 2013-03-14 17:24:48 »

Take a look at the Code Style options and check "Use tab character" Huh

I hate these little off-subtleties, having to customize everything just to get what is standard in other editors.
You mean standard in ECLIPSE - ever thought about other people having different preferences? I know enough people that want spaces for indentation. Especially larger teams tend to use spaces instead of tabs to overcome indentation-mess when not using code-formatting on commit...

If it is too much effort to look beyond your nose - just let it be Tongue

Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #47 - Posted 2013-03-14 17:45:00 »

Take a look at the Code Style options and check "Use tab character" Huh

You mean standard in ECLIPSE - ever thought about other people having different preferences? I know enough people that want spaces for indentation. Especially larger teams tend to use spaces instead of tabs to overcome indentation-mess when not using code-formatting on commit...

If it is too much effort to look beyond your nose - just let it be Tongue

Well, I have a very strong preference of using tabs instead of whitespaces. I have no idea why teams should used fixed number of whitespaces rather than IDE customizable length of tabs. Coding, moving your caret around, in a whitespace infested file is very cumbersome.

Offline cylab

JGO Knight

« Reply #48 - Posted 2013-03-14 18:01:18 »

Well, I have a very strong preference of using tabs instead of whitespaces. I have no idea why teams should used fixed number of whitespaces rather than IDE customizable length of tabs.
Because of the way people tend to manually align stuff with spaces. The whole formatting falls apart when opening such a file with different tab settings.

Coding, moving your caret around, in a whitespace infested file is very cumbersome.
Actually in Idea it is not much of a difference - but I also prefer tabs.

Offline appel

JGO Wizard

I always win!

« Reply #49 - Posted 2013-03-14 18:11:22 »

Well, I have a very strong preference of using tabs instead of whitespaces. I have no idea why teams should used fixed number of whitespaces rather than IDE customizable length of tabs.
Because of the way people tend to manually align stuff with spaces. The whole formatting falls apart when opening such a file with different tab settings.

Coding, moving your caret around, in a whitespace infested file is very cumbersome.
Actually in Idea it is not much of a difference - but I also prefer tabs.

Obviously, a programmer using whitespaces instead of tabs to indent code should be immediately fired... because that's a sign of a very incompetent programmer.  Grin

Offline Nate

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #50 - Posted 2013-03-14 21:59:37 »

Does IDEA require you to refresh the project when stuff changes outside the IDE? That might make me drop Eclipse...

Offline matheus23

JGO Wizard

« Reply #51 - Posted 2013-03-14 22:17:12 »

Something which makes me rage right now, and which would probably make you not to switch from eclipse is this:

"Artifacts" (generating jar files...)
Generally they work perfectly. They're much too complicated, but they work. The problem is: What if you've got 2 main functions in one project and want to have two seperate Artifacts for that purpose. That means you've got two different MANIFEST.MF files... which IDEA supports in theory. (Guy having this problem and solving it...)

Well... actually you only need to create two of those MANIFEST files and then make each Artifact use the right one... This works in theory, and this is how my Artifact manifest properties look like:

What the artifacts do, or should do, is take the list of files and archieves and search for MANIFEST.MF files there. If it finds multiple manifest files, it should take the one which is the first on the list (therefore there are arrows). Unfortunately this doesn't work...
It only works, when I name the folder "META-INF", but how should I place two manifest files in there then, which both need to have the name MANIFEST.MF? I've tried creating two manifests like this: "server/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF" and "client/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF" and linking them, but this didn't work again.

The "IntelliJ IDEA 12.0 Web Help" tells me how that Dialog should look like:
http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/webhelp/output-layout-tab.html#manifestFile

Everything is okey there: Option "Manifest File:", "Main Class", "Class Path" etc... but whats up with "Create Manifest" and "Use Existing manifest"?
(I should note here, that the "Manifest File" Text field is not modifiable...)

I have checked it: IntelliJ IDEA 12.0.4 ...

Either I am completely blind, stupid, or I think there is something wrong...

It would be awesome if anyone could tell me how to fix this problem. Or at least point me to the position where I find the button "Use Existing Manifest" :/

See my:
Offline Spasi
« Reply #52 - Posted 2013-03-14 22:39:27 »

Does IDEA require you to refresh the project when stuff changes outside the IDE? That might make me drop Eclipse...

IDEA uses JDK7's WatchService since version 12, so mostly no. You can even change the project metadata files and it will pick-up the changes. Exceptions:

- A project reload is required when you change the project language level (e.g. switching from JDK7 to JDK8 lambdas), but that's very rare.
- A restart is required when enabling/disabling plugins and when invalidating the caches (also rare).
- A manual "Refresh File Status" action is required if you happen to do VCS actions outside the IDE.
Offline Spasi
« Reply #53 - Posted 2013-03-14 22:42:10 »

Everything is okey there: Option "Manifest File:", "Main Class", "Class Path" etc... but whats up with "Create Manifest" and "Use Existing manifest"?
(I should note here, that the "Manifest File" Text field is not modifiable...)

I have checked it: IntelliJ IDEA 12.0.4 ...

Either I am completely blind, stupid, or I think there is something wrong...

It would be awesome if anyone could tell me how to fix this problem. Or at least point me to the position where I find the button "Use Existing Manifest" :/

Remove the existing manifest folder under RuinsOfRevenge.jar. Then click on RuinsOfRevenge.jar and the Create/Use Existing Manifest buttons will appear.
Offline matheus23

JGO Wizard

« Reply #54 - Posted 2013-03-15 19:00:49 »

Remove the existing manifest folder under RuinsOfRevenge.jar. Then click on RuinsOfRevenge.jar and the Create/Use Existing Manifest buttons will appear.

Thank you very much! This solved the issue.

See my:
Offline gimbal

JGO Coder

Medals: 25

« Reply #55 - Posted 2013-03-19 16:10:35 »

Its about time that a new IDE to fix all issues in the world rose from the ashes actually. I don't want to flock to IDEA, its old and stupid like all old and stupid software is by default. I need a new name so I can ridicule others for not using it yet. Until then I'll just stick with Eclipse and silently ignore/work around the few retarded things it, or one of its plugins, has.
Offline sproingie
« Reply #56 - Posted 2013-03-19 16:56:26 »

Well, uh, more power to you then?

Eclipse reminds me of Lotus Notes: an amazing platform stuffed with great technology, someone should just write a decent IDE that runs on top of it (much as I would say someone should write a decent mail app for Notes).  Come to think, the current version of Notes runs on the Eclipse platform...
Offline gene9

Medals: 8

« Reply #57 - Posted 2013-03-19 17:30:01 »

IntelliJ has long been my favorite IDE for Java and especially Java/Maven work.

I just downgraded from IntelliJ Ultimate 11 to the free community edition of IntelliJ 12 and I'm shocked that I am not missing any features. The only major missing feature from the free version is JavaScript functionality. You can write JavaScript with the community edition, but you miss out on all the nice IDE features.

The official Scala IDE from typesafe is an Eclipse plugin, so for my Scala work, I use that. IntelliJ has decent Scala support, but without recalling specifics, I like the official Scala IDE better and haven't had a reason to move back.

Offline gimbal

JGO Coder

Medals: 25

« Reply #58 - Posted 2013-03-20 14:38:22 »

Well, uh, more power to you then?

Yarrrr.

Don't take me too seriously, I look upon the movement of IT people from software to software as something amusing Smiley Whatever you use, it is never REALLY better. But you feel that way at least for a while. So... more power to the people that still attempt it.
Offline ags1

JGO Knight

Medals: 28
Projects: 2
Exp: 5 years

Make code not war!

« Reply #59 - Posted 2013-04-13 23:41:18 »

IntelliJ is amazing. I was forced to use it at work and after only a couple of hours I was a convert. The code inspections are awesome, most of the time. I've switched to using it at home too. Coding late at night, with many distractions and interruptions is difficult and my personal code is far below the standard of my work code, but IntelliJ helps a lot.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (28 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (25 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (40 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (22 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (38 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (62 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (121 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (221 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (188 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (195 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org