Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (533)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Starshock, a retro-esque arcade shooter  (Read 6091 times)
Offline Quarry
« Posted 2013-03-03 13:11:23 »

Starshock is a game that takes place in a space station. Terrible things are happening and you are a survivor. The game isn't Duke Nukem, you do not run around shooting monsters like there's no tomorrow because if you die, you die. You have to utilize your tools; every single credit, every single mine, every single bullet and the environment. There are message terminals to provide information about the station and provide stories of survivors to help you immerse with the game. There's nothing useless, it doesn't remind you that you are playing a game - you are a survivor of a disaster, and you want to stay as one

Hello JGO, this is a game by me and mrmotarius. The idea has been out there for a long time and I've been working on it but I lost the old code which caused me to restart it. I've been working on this since 4.2.2013 and we both are on a very fast pace, working towards getting this out as a commercial release!

The game is written in Java, using LWJGL for input and graphics. The engine is complete and we are doing our best to bring in a lot of new content to make this game provide you with 100% pure fun

Most of the screenshots above run at 40~ FPS but don't worry, it's the netbook I'm working on that doesn't support hardware acceleration
Offline Quarry
« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-03-03 13:12:53 »

Offline arnaud_couturier

Medals: 2
Projects: 1

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-03-03 20:59:45 »

Looks pretty neat  Shocked!!
I love the look of it.

If I may, the graphics are only missing emissive/shadeless textures, like neons and fluorescent lights to make it look more futuristic. Think Dark Forces' graphics, which were (and still are) amazing.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline jonjava
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-03-04 02:41:11 »

I really like the art style. Looks incredible!

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-03-04 03:39:29 »

EHEM! this is not TIGsource.

Offline Rorkien
« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-03-04 04:16:28 »

It.... reminds me of system shock  persecutioncomplex

I can imagine this beat on:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8mCYmO30Es4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8mCYmO30Es4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>
Offline Quarry
« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-03-04 06:08:52 »

EHEM! this is not TIGsource.

Sins of copy pasting!
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-03-04 06:54:28 »

Art style is epic, really does remind me of system shock as well. Some of the weapons should have more depth (first post, last picture), but the rest look great.
Offline Quarry
« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-03-04 15:02:55 »

Most of the are development pictures and don't really depict the latest stage of the game
Offline JESTERRRRRR

Medals: 7
Exp: 1 year

« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-03-04 18:41:05 »

wow that looks f**cking quality, I love your gfx. some weird futuristic nostalgia thing going on  I think

EDIT is there any name or erm, style of art you're using? any word I can whack into google to see more similar stuff? I rarely see something as nice as this and when i describe the style to others they think im a babbling moron
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-03-05 03:16:48 »

EDIT is there any name or erm, style of art you're using? any word I can whack into google to see more similar stuff? I rarely see something as nice as this and when i describe the style to others they think im a babbling moron
And tool used to draw them Wink

Offline Quarry
« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-03-05 06:03:37 »

As I said I'm not doing the graphics so I can't really help you with this, thanks anyways
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-03-05 06:15:54 »

That's okay. Can't wait to play it!

Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

Medals: 5
Projects: 2

If you look closely, you might see it turning...

« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-03-05 07:04:04 »

I like the art style

Smiley
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-03-06 20:58:49 »

I don't get why (since Minecraft) everybody seems to like blocky unfiltered low-res graphics... Huh

Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-03-07 00:57:03 »

I'm impressed that you've gotten that far in this since February 4.  By the screenshots that it very good progress in that amount of time.  It looks very interesting.
Offline Quarry
« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-03-07 06:04:30 »

I don't get why (since Minecraft) everybody seems to like blocky unfiltered low-res graphics... Huh

Not everything is a copy of Minecraft, the look I'm trying to achieve is Doom/Wolfenstein

I'm impressed that you've gotten that far in this since February 4.  By the screenshots that it very good progress in that amount of time.  It looks very interesting.

We both work really hard day and night!
Offline cheatsguy

Medals: 3

Gamer turned Pixel Artist turned Programmer

« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-03-07 18:39:55 »

Not everything is a copy of Minecraft, the look I'm trying to achieve is Doom/Wolfenstein

And it looks it! Awesome game so far, can't wait to actually try it out.

Busy between school, work, life, games, programming and general screwing around.
If you'd like some pixel art for your game, send me a PM, i'll see what I can do.
Current project: http://elementalwarblog.wordpress.com/
Offline JESTERRRRRR

« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-03-07 22:36:03 »

i also immediatly thought of doom, but for some reason so much better looking

i dislike minecraft gfx
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 238
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-03-08 04:13:33 »

Minecraft is both good and bad for low-res graphics and/or voxel engines.

On one hand, it stopped people saying "THIS GAME IZ BAD BECUZ THE GRAPHICS SUCKZ!" therefore helping indie games with bad art get out there.

On the other hand, now all the morons on the internet think that Minecraft invented pixel art and low-res graphics and now they flame all the games with "THIS GAME IZ BAD BECUZ IT IS LIEK MINECRAFT!!!!"

Moral of the story: You can never win with idiots.

Offline cheatsguy

Medals: 3

Gamer turned Pixel Artist turned Programmer

« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-03-08 19:20:06 »

Quote from: Michael Godwin
As a usenet JGO discussion goes on, the probability of a comparison to N*tzi's Minecraft approaches one.

Unfortunate, but true.
Guys, this really needs to stop, it just causes pointless arguments and flaming.

Busy between school, work, life, games, programming and general screwing around.
If you'd like some pixel art for your game, send me a PM, i'll see what I can do.
Current project: http://elementalwarblog.wordpress.com/
Offline Quarry
« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-03-08 22:14:08 »

I don't know if anyone can help me with this but I'm getting this output when I run an exported JAR, sound works when I run through Eclipse but not when I run through the JAR

http://i.imgur.com/wfrT5vy.png

I have no idea what's going on, I wasn't able to get a reply in the 3D Sounds System thread (mods please do not merge this)
Offline karorogunso

Medals: 5
Projects: 2

« Reply #22 - Posted 2013-03-19 13:24:29 »

Old FPS Game Style

Become Childhood TIME!!!

ps. nice game but i found the bug about the "SFX in game" ex. "gunshot, get hit" , it's dont play the sound. Sad

Smiley

If you like my project or my game and you want to support me? over here <3
Donate Here or  Bitcoin 15GvcgtgdF4MrsgE3jbRasDbWVPmD3daWi
Offline JESTERRRRRR

« Reply #23 - Posted 2013-03-19 23:36:07 »

I enjoyed the demo (also no gunshot sound)

Didn't manage to complete it, the AI can shoot through corners of walls and have infinite accuracy with fast shots
If you stand right up close to the wheely type ones they cant hit you
Also a bunch of powerups on those posts cant be reached.

You're probably aware of this stuff though, still looks good Smiley  (wasnt a fan of the limited viewing angle)
Offline Cruithne3753

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #24 - Posted 2013-03-23 04:57:22 »

Nice little demo, a bit difficult without inverting the mouse Y though.

Here's one little suggestion for retro-style games like this which I think might be quite neat:  How about a graphics option pre-rendering the graphics at low pixel resolution (ie 320x200) to a buffer, and then stretching that to the screen with anti-aliasing.  That way you get fuzzy pixels rather like an old tube monitor, a similar effect that you see in old hardware emulation software.
Offline Quarry
« Reply #25 - Posted 2013-03-23 10:00:19 »

Nice little demo, a bit difficult without inverting the mouse Y though.

Here's one little suggestion for retro-style games like this which I think might be quite neat:  How about a graphics option pre-rendering the graphics at low pixel resolution (ie 320x200) to a buffer, and then stretching that to the screen with anti-aliasing.  That way you get fuzzy pixels rather like an old tube monitor, a similar effect that you see in old hardware emulation software.

I could do that but it doesn't look too good, using linear filtering etc. makes it hard to see anything
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print