LWJGL BlockWorld  (Read 28056 times)
Offline RobinB

JGO Ninja

Medals: 44
Projects: 1
Exp: 3 years

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #180 - Posted 2013-12-29 12:03:36 »

I doubt you will learn anything from that code section other then some specific addition to this game.
You really should follow some simple tutorials to learn programming (the internet and this forum got plenty).
Also you could try editing some simple games like space invaders (LWJGL demo game).
http://lwjgl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Space_Invaders_Example_Game

Starting here will take a lot of frustration for you and others, also you will learn a lot of stuff the wrong way like this:
GL11.glColor3f(1f,1f, 1f);
GL11.glNormal3f(0.0f, i, 0.0f); // Normal Pointing Up
GL11.glTexCoord2f(Hoffset, Voffset + size);   GL11.glVertex3f(-0.08f, i, -0.05f); // Top Left Of The Texture and Quad
Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #181 - Posted 2013-12-29 12:03:55 »

Programming is a very self taught skill. Thing is, if you do not understand very basic OpenGL stuff, we cannot cram hours of reading  into a few comments. This site is not for people to get spoon fed everything nor for private tutoring. We do not get paid here.

Also, please use paste bin or something for huge chunks of code.

I strongly recommend, like everyone else here, to start with rendering a quad, then triangles, then basic 2d, the a 3d cube and move on. THEN look at the code you posted. You will find it much more understandable. We can't put information in your head. It is not that we or at least I wouldn't want to help you but no one is entitled to have people here do anything for them which is how you came across in your last post.  Undecided

Offline DreamHacker

Senior Newbie

Exp: 4-6 months

« Reply #182 - Posted 2013-12-29 12:21:37 »

yea but thing is i am learning from code which i see  which i can edit and play around to see what happens.
In same way i learned php in there i learned how to code in object oriented programing (oop) and stuff like that.I learned alitle bit from tutorials actualy basics then i got  some workings codes and started to play around with them.After a month or so i learned how to make my own codes and now can mak fully working website with html  css  and php.
So i came acros Java and started to learn i can make  simple 2d  or 3d game in pure java but i realised that with lwjgl i can make my game better smoother fps and things like that.
But if people just poimt me to shity places where i will learn basics whichs i alredy know its ussless.
I dont ask you or anybody else to code for me i just asked simple task to just comment some lines in that code with what they do and maybe a litle but about why.Is that realy hard? and for those who said that  i need obj loader i alredy have that.my game works fine but i want to add some tools as i said i only have this axe (in pickaxe form Cheesy).
Anyway.If you cant help me dont post  bullcrap about learning stuff which isnt realy needed.But if somebody can just add those comments to that code so i can take a look on them and then make my own tool i will apriciate that.If nobody can help me then i guess i will try to contact code author as he said he will anwer to questions.
Thank you anyway.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Troubleshoots

JGO Knight

Medals: 36
Exp: 7-9 months

Damn maths.

« Reply #183 - Posted 2013-12-29 12:32:37 »

yea but thing is i am learning from code which i see  which i can edit and play around to see what happens.
In same way i learned php in there i learned how to code in object oriented programing (oop) and stuff like that.I learned alitle bit from tutorials actualy basics then i got  some workings codes and started to play around with them.After a month or so i learned how to make my own codes and now can mak fully working website with html  css  and php.
So i came acros Java and started to learn i can make  simple 2d  or 3d game in pure java but i realised that with lwjgl i can make my game better smoother fps and things like that.
But if people just poimt me to shity places where i will learn basics whichs i alredy know its ussless.
I dont ask you or anybody else to code for me i just asked simple task to just comment some lines in that code with what they do and maybe a litle but about why.Is that realy hard? and for those who said that  i need obj loader i alredy have that.my game works fine but i want to add some tools as i said i only have this axe (in pickaxe form Cheesy).
Anyway.If you cant help me dont post  bullcrap about learning stuff which isnt realy needed.But if somebody can just add those comments to that code so i can take a look on them and then make my own tool i will apriciate that.If nobody can help me then i guess i will try to contact code author as he said he will anwer to questions.
Thank you anyway.

This gives me the impression that you're goal is to just make a Minecraft clone like most other people who have a voxel project. If you really wanted to be a game developer, you'd focus on learning step by step and understanding how the code you write works. By reading, copying and making minor modifications to code, all you're going to do is learn what to write. That will lead to problems if/when you want to create a different sort of game.

Notch thought up of a unique idea and created it. If you want to be the next Notch, do something unique.

By the way there's no need to be immature about it and to become abusive. StumpyStrust was only giving you advice. Have a nice day and I wish you all the best. Smiley

Why are all OpenGL tutorials written in Brainf**k?
Offline DreamHacker

Senior Newbie

« Reply #184 - Posted 2013-12-29 13:10:02 »

Actualy i am not making another minecraft clone.And i stoped play minecraft long time ago because its booring when you play it again and again.If i would want to make a minecraft clone i would write it in c++ because its more powerfull than java and for rendering it gives much more fps than java.but as i said i am not making  minecraft clone.I want to make game so understand how all that works.And step by step is good way to do that but in my case as i said i learn from code not from wiki's i take finished code and edit it make some changes in it and i i go and look what have been f**ked up or improved.I cant realy understand thisone thing that why i camed here and asked.
But hey if you cant even help me with litle explanation then i asume that you dont even understand that code which i gave.Because if have alredy learnded that it would take from your time about 5min to add some litle comments to it so somebody could actualy understand it to.
Its like in dictionarie you see other Language word and a english translation and after that you see some explenation about it but it in there that word have been puted in sentence.(I am sorry my english is bad  i know but i hope you got my idea).
So can you please help me?Just add some litle comments in that code like this one which alredy are there.
// Normal Pointing Up
only diference would be that you a litle bit explain me what it  does.I dont ask to code whole thing because i want to do that on my own as i am learning.
Offline Troubleshoots

JGO Knight

Medals: 36
Exp: 7-9 months

Damn maths.

« Reply #185 - Posted 2013-12-29 14:13:55 »

I do not have to help you. I tried to give you some constructive advice, but your attitude is awful. As a matter of fact I can't be bothered reading 408 lines of badly written, badly organised, slow, deprecated code. Do your own research. You shouldn't post a whole file of code on a forum and then expect people to add comments in it for you.

If i would want to make a minecraft clone i would write it in c++ because its more powerfull than java and for rendering it gives much more fps than java.

You obviously have no clue what you're saying.

Why are all OpenGL tutorials written in Brainf**k?
Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #186 - Posted 2013-12-29 14:53:06 »

DreamHacker please please for the love of God reread your posts and do a little bit of editing to make them more readable. I am not talking about anything huge just make sure you proper spacing and maybe check spelling a bit. I is hard to understand you right now.

I think it is safe to say that people may not comment things for you. Instead of asking for comments in the code, post what concept you do not understand.

Here, I will take the first step.

The two methods you posted do not seem to have anything to do with one another. One is filling a floatbuffer with data to most likely render with a VBO while the other uses immediate mode to render. The first seems to be simply filling a floatbuffer with a cube based on "offsets", and a color or tint. Now you take the next step.  Cheesy

Offline DreamHacker

Senior Newbie

« Reply #187 - Posted 2013-12-29 15:15:31 »

StumpyStrust actualy you made some sense to me i am starting to understand that.And about that speling i will have a look and edit them.
Thank you Smiley
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #188 - Posted 2013-12-29 16:35:12 »

StumpyStrust actualy you made some sense to me i am starting to understand that.And about that speling i will have a look and edit them.
Thank you Smiley

About the spelling: If I'm not mistaken (I'm not native english speaker) then there is a simple rule for doubled consonants:
When a vocal is spelled short, then the next consonant is doubled.
For example: will, spell, little, impression

I think that's the kind of mistake you make the most Smiley

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 153
Projects: 7

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #189 - Posted 2013-12-29 16:38:25 »

If i would want to make a minecraft clone i would write it in c++ because its more powerfull than java and for rendering it gives much more fps than java.
This shows me you know absolutely nothing about how games work. Just because a game is written in C++ doesn't mean its faster than Java. I suggest you start at the basics like everyone else has said.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ctomni231

JGO Wizard

Medals: 98
Exp: 7 years

Not a glitch. Just have a lil' pixelexia...

« Reply #190 - Posted 2013-12-30 05:11:51 »

What I'm trying to figure out is why LWJGL Blockworld has to be lengthened with this. If anything, it should be put into its own thread. Also, what I've gathered from this small segment is that you want someone to comment the code so you can just learn how to make a one sided ax and that is all?

LWJGL is a binding, not a library. But, if I were to put up a suggestion, did you ever consider just contacting Vermeer directly about it and seeing if he responds? All the replies on here are telling you the same thing, to learn it from scratch. I don't think that you are going to get any more than that, but keeping this up is getting nowhere fast.

If I were trying to learn it, I'd actually take them on the offer and try to get the information from scratch. Learning 3D programming takes a lot more than the typical methods you can use for learning PHP and basic Java. Most of the things you do there are very clear and easy to find. If you haven't realized, OpenGL isn't as easy as that. There is a lot of abstraction.

I mean, you might get lucky and someone might help you. But, yeah... even I wouldn't want to go ahead and label out each function. There is a lot more to OpenGL like Matrices, and the VBO Bindings that take a lot more "extra knowledge". Comments just won't get you there, I'm sorry.

Best of luck. I hope this post gives some insight on why everyone is telling you to learn it. It isn't easy to just pick up like writing a basic programming application is.

Offline rv3392

Medals: 2
Exp: 5 years

Programmer | Modder | Gamer

« Reply #191 - Posted 2014-01-10 08:50:44 »

Dream Hacker do you know Java Basics as well as Game Programming Basics?
Offline opiop65

JGO Kernel

Medals: 153
Projects: 7

JumpButton Studios

« Reply #192 - Posted 2014-01-10 12:08:54 »

rv don't revive this thread... it should've died a long time ago and there is no use badgering dream hacker.

Offline trollwarrior1
« Reply #193 - Posted 2014-01-10 13:35:34 »

Lol I have a unique idea.
Make a thread called "DreamHacker vs The World" and post there.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (14 views)
2014-08-01 22:53:16

CogWheelz (14 views)
2014-08-01 22:51:43

CopyableCougar4 (15 views)
2014-08-01 19:37:19

CogWheelz (19 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (27 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (16 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (14 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (35 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (13 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (44 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36
Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 18:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 18:19:50

List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org