games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  ignore  |  Print  
  LodeScape RPG  (Read 28338 times)
Offline BurntPizza
« Reply #180 - Posted 2013-06-23 16:48:25 »

I recommend playing a popular RPG game and taking note of what makes it fun etc that your game currently doesn't have, then you can more easily be inspired and keep a list of things to add to your game. I'm not saying to copy off stuff from other games, but to try and see what systems are in place that are crucial to the game that you haven't thought of yet. Otherwise, good luck!  Wink
Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

Medals: 24
Projects: 2
Exp: 2 years

http://linebylinecoding.blogspot.com/

« Reply #181 - Posted 2013-06-23 16:55:16 »

I recommend playing a popular RPG game and taking note of what makes it fun etc that your game currently doesn't have, then you can more easily be inspired and keep a list of things to add to your game. I'm not saying to copy off stuff from other games, but to try and see what systems are in place that are crucial to the game that you haven't thought of yet. Otherwise, good luck!  Wink
I am not really a big gamer, do you have any recommendations for games to try/

Offline NegativeZero

JGO Knight

Medals: 30
Exp: 3 years

Zero but not.

« Reply #182 - Posted 2013-06-24 06:28:16 »

Here's some ideas:
  • Bastion
  • Skyrim
  • Titan Quest
  • Path of Exile
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #183 - Posted 2013-06-24 13:46:04 »

Here's some ideas:
  • Bastion
  • Skyrim
  • Titan Quest
  • Path of Exile
are those somewhat similar to my game in a way that they could help?

Offline BurntPizza
« Reply #184 - Posted 2013-06-24 14:28:40 »

Here's some ideas:
  • Bastion
  • Skyrim
  • Titan Quest
  • Path of Exile

That is for you to decide. What they are are popular games of the RPG genre, with tried-and-true features that a large amount of gamers find fun, and hence makes these games popular and successful. Basically role models for other games. You should at least watch someone play it (them) on Youtube, would be worth your time in inspiration.
Offline NegativeZero

JGO Knight

Medals: 30

Zero but not.

« Reply #185 - Posted 2013-06-24 21:55:38 »

Here's some ideas:
  • Bastion
  • Skyrim
  • Titan Quest
  • Path of Exile

They're similar in the sense that they are very popular RPGs, however they are not in two-dimensional orthographic.
Bastion is 2D isometric, whilst skyrim is 3-D first-person.
Titan Quest and Path of Exile are Diablo-likes, and as such are also 3-D.
Offline Sir_Wabbit

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #186 - Posted 2013-06-25 07:03:23 »

Another game to try is Dont Starve. Its 2d, and you craft items objects, collect resources, build farms, gear, traps, walls, cooking pots ect.
It gave me alot of inspiration for my current project. Im not sure how much of the "living off the land" and survival gameplay you want in your game but its worth checking out.

EDIT: Reading your first post again, it does seem that your planned feature list focuses on things like crafting and world systems like animals ect, you should really check Dont Starve out.

Maybe give us a more detailed description of the type of game you want and we can suggest things to add, for instance, the reason your project stood out to me is because it also has crafting. im currently busy with a 2d RPG that has crafting, building fortifications/shelter, and is open and sandboxy.
Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #187 - Posted 2013-06-25 13:47:16 »

Another game to try is Dont Starve. Its 2d, and you craft items objects, collect resources, build farms, gear, traps, walls, cooking pots ect.
It gave me alot of inspiration for my current project. Im not sure how much of the "living off the land" and survival gameplay you want in your game but its worth checking out.

EDIT: Reading your first post again, it does seem that your planned feature list focuses on things like crafting and world systems like animals ect, you should really check Dont Starve out.

Maybe give us a more detailed description of the type of game you want and we can suggest things to add, for instance, the reason your project stood out to me is because it also has crafting. im currently busy with a 2d RPG that has crafting, building fortifications/shelter, and is open and sandboxy.

I originally planned for it being a game like Don't Starve although I could never create enough things for the user to do so I transferred the game into more of an RPG type. I really want the game headed into an RPG direction with quests and stuff, maybe some free roaming experiences but not for too long.

Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #188 - Posted 2013-07-01 03:08:05 »

HEy guys sorry that I haven't had any updates in a while, but I have one question before I start getting into some coding tomorrow, should I make resources(trees and ores) regenerate overtime? Like after 2 minutes that certain resource will reappear as long as your are not in a spot where you can view the resource re spawn, somewhat like runescape but a little different. I'll really try and get stuff done tomorrow I have a good plan ready. Thanks guys

Offline isteinvids

« Reply #189 - Posted 2013-07-01 07:57:44 »

HEy guys sorry that I haven't had any updates in a while, but I have one question before I start getting into some coding tomorrow, should I make resources(trees and ores) regenerate overtime? Like after 2 minutes that certain resource will reappear as long as your are not in a spot where you can view the resource re spawn, somewhat like runescape but a little different. I'll really try and get stuff done tomorrow I have a good plan ready. Thanks guys
Make it after 5 minutes, cause two minutes may be a bit too short.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Sir_Wabbit

Senior Newbie

« Reply #190 - Posted 2013-07-01 10:57:47 »

yeah regeneration is a good idea
Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #191 - Posted 2013-07-01 13:43:04 »

Make it after 5 minutes, cause two minutes may be a bit too short.
yeah regeneration is a good idea

This sounds like a good idea to me. I think this will be a good update once I finish it, I'll be adding some cool stuff

Offline xmakina

Senior Newbie

« Reply #192 - Posted 2013-07-02 14:49:16 »

This sounds like a good idea to me. I think this will be a good update once I finish it, I'll be adding some cool stuff

In your base resource class, have a regen value of X. Make all regeneration a factor of X (So X/2 to regen in half the time, X*2 to regen in twice the time). This should make tuning the overall game speed much easier in the long run, you just change X rather than tweaking potentially hundreds of objects.
Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #193 - Posted 2013-07-05 23:36:26 »

Could anyone make a cool fire effect with the libgdx particle editor for me? Mines not coming out too good... I will probably use it though if no one else could make one. it would be really appreciated if you could! Cheesy

Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #194 - Posted 2013-07-07 18:00:51 »

Finally an update for Lode Scape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well here it is!

Lode Scape 1.1.4
- Added mobs which can follow players once attacked (creeper) (will respawn during night)
- Display food level and cash in inventory
- Food level can affect health
- added pigs which drop raw meat (will respawn during day)
- added coal for furnace fuel (with regeneration)
- Updated inventory (no longer have items that aren't currently in the game)
- Press 'L' to eat food
- display current level (xp) in inventory
- Food level not affected until you finish the tutorial since you dont have the ability to obtain food before that
- Fixed some bugs that occured when trading fish for money
- may be other things I did not add...

Download: http://goo.gl/lUTcJ

Video:<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQXt4vsTp0c?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/aQXt4vsTp0c?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Report any bugs if you find them :3

Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #195 - Posted 2013-07-09 16:55:49 »

I really need your opinion on this guys. Game development for Lode Scape has slowed recently largely because I am lacking ideas of things to add.  Thats where hopefully anyone who has tried this game or watched this thread can help. I need a plan for future development of this. What would make this game really worth playing for more than just 5 minutes of messing around with it? I have been trying to think of something that would keep users interested for a while but nothing came to mind. A well written plot story may be good but thats not really what I am looking for in this game. I like the idea of free roaming (like minecraft a little) but I am not sure how I can truly implement that into Lode Scape. I don't want to have this game die out, I have worked too hard and learned too much during this to let it happen. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Medals: 79
Projects: 4

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #196 - Posted 2013-07-09 17:01:26 »

Hmmmmm.

Add some combat. Create some basic enemies for the player to fight, and have his/her sword level up using a certain system.

Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #197 - Posted 2013-07-09 17:21:03 »

Already added creepers ^^^ Anyway that won't keep anyone interested for long  Emo

Offline Agro
« Reply #198 - Posted 2013-07-09 18:46:50 »

Create more interesting settings. For example, if you want to mine something, you're going to have to go to a cave or somewhere of the equivalent.

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #199 - Posted 2013-07-09 19:04:39 »

All that empty space in the town just begs for stuff to be built.  Like, within the game.  So how about being able to build and furnish and decorate your own buildings in-game?
Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #200 - Posted 2013-07-09 19:51:09 »

If you can't think of any ideas, think about a concept that no game has, think about something that you would want to see in a game but is never gonna happen.

Add penguins.

Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #201 - Posted 2013-07-09 20:40:12 »

Create more interesting settings. For example, if you want to mine something, you're going to have to go to a cave or somewhere of the equivalent.
Not a bad idea, but still something that would just add to the game not make it really likeable and addicting.

All that empty space in the town just begs for stuff to be built.  Like, within the game.  So how about being able to build and furnish and decorate your own buildings in-game?
That would add a lot, but honestly messing with tiled maps on the fly will sure not be fun to add.... Maybe I could search the web for examples of that while using tiled maps.

If you can't think of any ideas, think about a concept that no game has, think about something that you would want to see in a game but is never gonna happen.

Add penguins.

Thats pretty much where I got stuck and why I came to you guys for help

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #202 - Posted 2013-07-09 20:46:04 »

The player could build certain things to help out the town and/or get currency out of it.

You should try out Harvest Moon and get a few ideas from it. I think there are a ton of ideas in that game that can be pushed over here. Smiley Also, you should try Animal Crossing as-well, there are good ideas in that game too.

Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #203 - Posted 2013-07-09 21:35:53 »

The player could build certain things to help out the town and/or get currency out of it.

You should try out Harvest Moon and get a few ideas from it. I think there are a ton of ideas in that game that can be pushed over here. Smiley Also, you should try Animal Crossing as-well, there are good ideas in that game too.

hmmm maybe I am just not liking this game as much anymore. Nothing really makes me wanna work on it. or maybe I just need a good idea for it.

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #204 - Posted 2013-07-09 21:53:43 »

Come up with an idea with no thought in it at all, and then create it and see how it turns out.

Add penguins to the game, no matter how much of a good or bad idea it is.
Push yourself and see what the outcome is.

Offline ctomni231

JGO Wizard

Medals: 99
Projects: 1
Exp: 7 years

Not a glitch. Just have a lil' pixelexia...

« Reply #205 - Posted 2013-07-09 22:02:37 »

Man, I hate it when I have that feeling of not knowing what to do next. Of course, if we knew what game element would keep a player interested in a game infinitely, I think we would have built a game with it already. With that being said, I don't mind giving a few suggestions...

1) Story: This is the best way to engage a player in an RPG hands down. There has to be a source of conflict within the world, something you are striving for. Something that you are trying to achieve. Your game is one of the few to have day and night cycles, so maybe you can incorporate building up your inventory by day, and fighting during the night. It doesn't necessarily need to be zombies, but it will help your mechanics fit into the game world a bit.

2) Quests: This is more on the MMORPG side, but it is an honorable mention. You can have mini-games and side missions that will engage the player and help him collect more items. As long as there is good reason to go on the quests, people will navigate to do them.

3) Collectible Items: I am a big fan of game that allow a slight bit of customization. Especially if that customization does a bit to help alter game play in some way. If side missions and quests are worthwhile to receive special types of these collectibles, and these small collectibles help me win the game in a new way. I really like searching to find the best combination of items to fit my fighting style.

Yes, this is a very vague list. However, the way to keep a player interested in completing your story is to be invested in your story. You need to create a source of conflict, and have the player be part of the process of fixing that conflict. The measure of all games is finding different ways for players to deal with problems. If all else fails, make a story about a conflict within your own life and bring it to life through the characters you have.

Best of luck... I hope to see more from this project.

Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #206 - Posted 2013-07-09 22:06:57 »

Thanks for the input @ctomni231 . I think I am going to have to create a story for this. I have never been a good creative writer but hopefully now that it doesn't count as a grade I could think of some good ideas...

Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #207 - Posted 2013-07-10 00:52:03 »

Would anyone be willing to write some type of story to this? I think its time I finish this game, and I want to finish it right... I don't want to leave it at a dead end. I'll continue to think about it and such but I have a good feeling it won't get me anywhere...Maybe even a way to make this into a minigame... I don't know....

Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #208 - Posted 2013-07-23 01:50:49 »

Decided to take a break from all this game dev, and have been making some Minecraft Bukkit plugins. Its honestly a lot of fun. I don't miss hunting down graphics or making my own and I have even been getting payed to make others plugins. Lots of fun.

Offline kpars

JGO Wizard

Extreme Typist.

« Reply #209 - Posted 2013-07-23 12:08:05 »

Great! Always take breaks.

I too, have been developing plugins recently.
Mainly useless ASCII animations.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

BurntPizza (22 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (35 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (63 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (90 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (44 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (65 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (48 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (35 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (40 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (37 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org