Games in Android Showcase (108)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Pixely Adventure-thing  (Read 3265 times)
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Projects: 3
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Posted 2013-02-01 22:21:54 »

Hey there!

EDIT: You can try out a super early and buggy version of the game.
CLICK HERE TO DO JUST THAT!

I'll show you something I've been programming. I even took the liberty to comment it, live. Be nice. Smiley
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RoUgjPEtzyA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/RoUgjPEtzyA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

The game was made using Slick2D, and Oryx sprites. It's very far from done, but hey..  Tongue

Offline Z-Man
« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-02-01 22:29:46 »

That looks really good! Grin It puts the adventury game I've been sporadically working on with Oryx's sprites to shame. I'm excited to see how it turns out. I really like the effect of pushing around the frozen mob Smiley
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-02-01 22:32:14 »

That looks really good! Grin It puts the adventury game I've been sporadically working on with Oryx's sprites to shame. I'm excited to see how it turns out. I really like the effect of pushing around the frozen mob Smiley

Thank you! I thought it was hilarious, so why the heck not.  persecutioncomplex

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 239
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-02-02 21:49:53 »

This looks nice.

How much has it got so far?

Offline Giovanni

chop!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-02-02 22:46:23 »

Looks pretty promising. You should make some triggers that can only be activated by frozen bears.
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-02-03 11:39:37 »

That attack you did to the bear really looked like one of the attacks from magicka Smiley

I love magicka... looks promising Smiley I'd go into the direction of magicka in terms of the combat system.

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-02-03 12:00:57 »

That attack you did to the bear really looked like one of the attacks from magicka Smiley

I love magicka... looks promising Smiley I'd go into the direction of magicka in terms of the combat system.
I have never played Magicka, but I'll sure take a look at it now.

My original idea was that the protagonist shouldn't be able to outright attack anyone. No wailing on enemies and wait for them to die.
Instead, I give the player some tools to circumvent enemies more easily, such as freezing them or running faster for a short while.
Freezing might be a bit overpowered, though.  Smiley

This looks nice.

How much has it got so far?

A few enemies and citizens, dialogue, some spells, a tiny map editor and code that supports all kinds of fun things - like pushing around frozen bears.  Pointing

Offline Alan_W

JGO Knight

Medals: 8

Java tames rock!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-02-03 12:55:34 »

+1 on triggers for frozen bears.  You could have doors opened by pressure plates.  Maybe the bears unfreeze after a while.
Maybe use the frozen bear as a shield against arrows being fired at you.  Frozen bears as stepping stones across a river.
Maybe there are other monsters that eat frozen bears.  Actually I need to go shopping, out of food and frozen bear suddenly sounds quite appetising.

Now what about burning bears.  That would make a mess of the corn.  Mmm corn. 

Time flies like a bird. Fruit flies like a banana.
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-02-03 21:24:38 »

I updated the OP to contain a download link. Please remember that it is very early, and it doesn't reflect actual gameplay, yadda-yadda-yadda bim bam boom.
I'm aware of a few bugs, though if you find one please let me know.  Pointing

Download

+1 on triggers for frozen bears.  You could have doors opened by pressure plates.  Maybe the bears unfreeze after a while.
Maybe use the frozen bear as a shield against arrows being fired at you.  Frozen bears as stepping stones across a river.
Maybe there are other monsters that eat frozen bears.  Actually I need to go shopping, out of food and frozen bear suddenly sounds quite appetising.

Now what about burning bears.  That would make a mess of the corn.  Mmm corn.  

Those are all cool ideas. At least one of those is definitely going to make it into the finished product. Cheesy

Offline cubemaster21
« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-02-06 03:57:31 »

This looks really good. I tried the demo, and that corn field-bear chase is ridiculous! Is there any way you could direct me to a tutorial on how to do the smooth scrolling like you have? I'm not sure how to implement it on a tile map.

Check out my game, Viking Supermarket Smash
http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/iconified/28984/view.html
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-02-06 04:15:36 »

This looks really good. I tried the demo, and that corn field-bear chase is ridiculous! Is there any way you could direct me to a tutorial on how to do the smooth scrolling like you have? I'm not sure how to implement it on a tile map.

Say the player moves every 20 ticks, and the camera updates every tick.
Give the camera a speed variable of 1/20 (assuming the size of a tile is 1), a target position, and it's current position.
When the player moves, move the camera towards the target at the speed of the camera (1/20).
Then you just translate by the camera position.

That's how I did it for my own roguelike game.

Offline Agro
« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-02-06 04:44:21 »

For smooth scrolling, I just refer to the concept shown here:

http://www.lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson21/index.php

Don't need to do any translating, just some ezpz logic

Offline Z-Man
« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-02-06 23:40:12 »

In my tile based adventury game I move the player just like any other Entity would. Then if the player's position has changed I set his new position as the target center for the map and move toward it at some speed. So say you press the right arrow key, he moves one column to the right, then the center of the screen follows him. I accomplish this with an offsets variable, which is just a point that I use to offset tiles and entities, and a targetOffsets variable. If the offset doesn't match the target offset when I update then I add the speed of the camera to the offset.
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-02-07 11:11:40 »

I won't go into too much detail here, but here's how it works in this instance:
The player has a speed at which he can move. This is a value determining how many tiles he can move per second.
The wait-period between each move is calculated accoridng to this.

I also have a camera, which is really just a set of world-coordinates. The game is always rendered so that these world-coordinates is always at the center of the screen.
Now, the camera also has a speed at which it can move - also a tiles/second value. The difference is that the cameras position is updated every frame according to this.

Therefore, the camera and the player moves at exactly the same speed.

I previously tried to have the camera move much faster, but it ruined the game feel, because it stopped to wait on the player every move. If the camera stops, the game feels like it's not flowing right anymore - even if the player can move wicked fast.

Now, the player actually moves pretty slowly and I don't think it feels bad at all. Sure, moving is a little clunky, but it's flowing.

Offline loom_weaver

JGO Coder

Medals: 17

« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-02-10 00:24:53 »

I noticed that the player moves ever slightly faster than the bear.

Is there any turn-based mechanism or is this pretty much real-time only?
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-02-10 02:34:27 »

If you aren't translating, then the screen view won't move. Undecided

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-02-10 18:23:19 »

If you aren't translating, then the screen view won't move. Undecided

Depends how you view it. The soft libs, like Slick2D lets you specify rendering coordinates, so it doesn't feel like you're translating.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (17 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (23 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (15 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (12 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (33 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (43 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (43 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (31 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org