games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Siege  (Read 4976 times)
Offline Agro
« Posted 2013-01-31 04:05:22 »

I've finally finished Siege! I would've added so much more, but I got fed up with Java2D so I decided to finish it right now without adding multiplayer. Here is the title screen:

The objective of the game is to keep at least 2 control points in your possession at all times. If you lose more than that, you automatically die. You also have 3 lives, so if you die 3 times, game over. Waves of monsters come, and in between waves you can do anything you want(restock on Sentrys or AGCs or recapture a point).

There is a shop in the north of the map. The 2 people sell stuff, and the robot is an upgrade station. To buy something, hover your mouse over it and press space. If it was successful you'll hear a beep, otherwise you'll here a explosion(I don't know why).

The control point order is this:

2      1
4      5

If you are on a bad computer, this game won't run at all. I would've originally fixed it, but I don't want to migrate all this stuff over to another library. If I get enough feedback and likes for the game however, I will add multiplayer and convert to libGDX! Vote on that please!

Anyway, I hope I've done a good job on this one:

https://www.box.com/s/dneu6ss4uc9iqi2iwund

If you want this game to be continued, just let me know and if enough people say yes, I'll add multiplayer and more monsters and more features etc.

Feedback, criticism hate all accepted!

Some more images:

Offline GabrielBailey74
« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-02-01 01:14:29 »

Count me in Grin, would be nice to test a WIP multiplayer.
Looks interesting, I like the fact that you have to gather resources and use them etc, nice to see that in a WIP.

Offline Agro
« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-02-01 01:33:53 »

Thanks, and yeah, I love having resources in a game because you can do whatever you'd like to do... sort of xD

i'm trying to expand on the possibilities, but right now im finishing up the networking part

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Agro
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-02-01 03:49:03 »

I've got some more updates on how the game actually works:

Here's a picture of the monsters trying to break through the gates:

Here's a picture of 2 sentry guns attempting to protect the fountain Tongue :

Like I said, I'm still working on game mechanics. There's going to be a single and multiplayer mode, and I'm trying to create some sort of algorithm that will spawn monsters according to # of players and the current wave.

I still have a lot of more ideas to add, like having an east and west gate, but I'll see how it all plays out. The part that's bugging me most are the graphics, and I barely have any experience with graphics except for my past few games.

Offline Nate

« JGO Bitwise Duke »

Medals: 158
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Esoteric Software

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-02-01 18:47:23 »

I made an n-player networked Rampart clone called Siege at one point. It's a good name. Smiley

Offline Agro
« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-02-02 00:38:20 »

Yeah, it was originally Dungeon Defenders, then Dungeon Masters, then Blockade, then Siege. xD

Offline Agro
« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-02-03 00:12:36 »

I've got some more changes I did today, few frontend, mostly backend:

Changelog February 2, 2013
- Added in the sidebar graphics
- Added in skeleton gfx
- Completely moved sprites handling into script files
- Completely moved map files handling into script files
- Part of entity handling is in script handling
- Integrated client networking into client

I hope that looks better. As a sidenote, I'm really liking this project because its mostly script files. 75% of it runs on scripts, and I'm looking forward to 100%.

Offline Agro
« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-02-05 02:31:05 »

Alright, I've done a lot of work recently mainly for the UI, but IMO I can still do better.

Changelog February 5, 2013
- Added Shop UI
- Improved sidebar UI
- Added Inventory
- Added inventory script files
- Multiplayer mode now enabled
- Converted enemies to script files
- Added hearts
- Added body defense

I've got some more of the game running on script files alot, and its helping alot. Here's some images:

General Look:

Shop:

I think everything is starting to look better Cheesy What do you guys think?

Offline Agro
« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-02-08 03:24:24 »

I've been editing the game layout and I think I've come up with something better. I'll have to get chat in there somewhere, though.

I'm also getting rid of shops and adding workshops(Tongue). Basically, there will be a Forge, an Armory, and a Warfare that supplies different kinds of weapons. There's going to be people in charge of each workshop, and so far I've made the ones for the Forge and the Armory, Brendan the Magician and Eli the Blacksmith:

Brendan the Magician

Eli the Blacksmith

Leroux the Peddler will be in charge of the Warfare division. I'm going to have to make some sort of NPC interaction menu or something... idk

Concerning multiplayer, I'm still working on the menus and stuff, but I can safely say player movement is complete, I mastered interpolation =D. I still want to add some other methods like extrapolation and prediction, but I'll see if its needed.

Offline Agro
« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-03-01 02:11:41 »

Well, its been a long time since I've updated, but I've got a lot of more work done, and I think I'm pretty close to getting a release here somewhere.

So, here are the most significant things that I've done:

- The objective of the game is now to control all 5 control points. If you lose 2 or more, you automatically lose.
- Sentry guns are behaving good now.
- Added AGC(Autonomous Ground Control; got the name from black ops II)
- Added a player graphic
- Added an inventory(if I didn't say that already)
- Added a blaster
- Added a bow
- Improved resource system
- Added a sword
- Added gate repairing
- Improved spawner behavior
- Added barricades
- Added a better "placing" system
- Using items are now controlled by mouse and spacebar
- Use mouse to show what direction the player moves in

I haven't worked on multiplayer all that much. As soon as I get some more suitable graphics, a menu screen, and actual winning/losing, I will get a playable version out as fast as possible.

Here are some images of what things are looking like:
http://imgur.com/gallery/qvXsm/new

Sorry for being so late.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Agro
« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-03-03 00:42:03 »

Added some new grass tiles.

Fore some reason on the forum, the image gets a lot less quality than when it is viewed in its own page. Any ideas how to fix?

Offline deepthought
« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-03-03 03:31:32 »

Thank you. The lime green grass was getting headache inducing.
Other than that, looks good! Iw would love to help test.

jocks rule the highschools. GEEKS RULE THE WORLD MWAHAHAHA!!
captain failure test game
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 310
Projects: 11
Exp: 3 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-03-03 03:53:03 »

It's not really losing quality.

It's being shrunk down so it doesn't stick out the sides of posts.

Offline Agro
« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-03-06 03:45:17 »

I've been working more on graphics side, and I got a few zombie sprites(with directions), and I also added a footpath.

There's also something called the Drone Control Map(DCM), which you can open up and command your AGCs and etc where to go and what to attack. Here is a picture:

I suggest you click on the image for better quality...

I've been thinking about a better user interface, as I don't like how the control point overlay, drone overlay, and inventory is. Anyone give me tips on what I should do? :/

Offline sugarrushx6

Senior Newbie

« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-03-06 21:02:28 »

In my opinion, I thought the lime green was better.

The game sounds cool. Are you going to release a download link anytime
soon?

Spoiler
Offline deepthought
« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-03-06 22:59:03 »

maybe if they just pop up for a few seconds when something changes or you select a different inventory item.

jocks rule the highschools. GEEKS RULE THE WORLD MWAHAHAHA!!
captain failure test game
Offline Agro
« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-03-06 23:31:43 »

In my opinion, I thought the lime green was better.

The game sounds cool. Are you going to release a download link anytime
soon?

I would've done the lime green, but it doesn't have enough effect, and I want to make it look like an RPG. And yeah, I'll get a download link out soon, but I'm trying to reason with the gamemodes Domination and Survival.

Would you want a game that is approximately 20-30 minutes or 40-60 minutes?

maybe if they just pop up for a few seconds when something changes or you select a different inventory item.

Yeah, ok, I'll try that.

Offline Agro
« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-03-07 02:13:27 »

I made a title screen.

Probably really bad, but it looks ok to me.

Offline Agro
« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-03-19 04:35:59 »

Alright, I'm about a week or 2 before release, and I just have to add:

1. Finish the store system
2. Create a better spawning algorithm
3. BETTER RENDERING LIBRARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's taking the most brainwork right now is the spawning algorithm and the rendering issues(below), I want it to get progressively harder, but I'm almost there. Smiley

Here's a quick demo:
https://www.box.com/s/9jzhga2oj7fnw6prmsv5

I've still got to get a bunch of tweaking in, but I wanted to hear from you guys before I make a full good release. Right now, only Single Player works.

Inside the game, you will see an inventory. I'm still not completely done with graphics, but the first log is a blaster, and the second log is a sentry gun.

There's also a store in progress. You can see the AGCs doing its work. In the final version, you'll be able to buy all this stuff from a store or whatnot.

This demo is only to test features and aspects, and one thing thats RUINING the whole thing is Java2D Without rendering, the game goes at around 720 FPS for around 700 entities, but once I render, it slows down to around 50. I'm going to switch to libgdx or slick2d before I make a final release.

So, for some of you, it might run REALLY slow, whereas for others, it will run at a decent speed. Sorry for the slow ones, I'll get a better rendering stuff in the first release.

So, suggestions/comments/complaints? Any would do me good. Smiley

Thanks.

Offline davidc

Senior Devvie

Medals: 5
Projects: 2

« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-03-19 14:17:45 »

I gave it a go, it seemed fun to play. The shooting was quite satisfying, in the way the bullets moved and hit their targets, pushing the zombies back a bit.
Are you planning on adding walking animation to the sprites?
One suggestion, I couldn't figure out straight away which control point was under attack - perhaps if there was a pulsating circle on the mini-map around the threatened control point, or an arrow pointing to it.

Otherwise I like the idea a lot. I didn't get a chance to use the AGCs but the idea has a lot of depth.
Offline Agro
« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-03-19 22:29:28 »

I'll add numbers to the minimap to show which control point is which number. The AGCs are automated, they work at their will, but you can use the control map(press c) to direct them to where you want, I haven't added that yet.

Yeah, I'm going to remake the sprites, most of it are placeholders.

Offline Agro
« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-04-14 18:40:03 »

I updated the first post with the download link. Please read it!

Can I request this a move to showcase please?

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print