Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (535)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Gaming contests for people under 18?  (Read 4882 times)
Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

Medals: 24
Projects: 2
Exp: 2 years

http://linebylinecoding.blogspot.com/

« Posted 2013-01-30 23:03:01 »

I know the competition is pretty intense in most gaming contests, so i was wondering if anyone had ever heard of java game contests for children, or under 18? My Google searches didn't show anything so i figured i would give this a shot. (by these contests i mean the ones where you submit games you have made just to clarify)

Offline Z-Man
« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-01-30 23:07:39 »

Neither Ludum Dare or Java4k have age limits, anyone can submit a game.
Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-01-30 23:08:18 »

I know that but I meant you had to be under 18 to make more appropriate competition

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Varkas
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-01-30 23:22:20 »

If all fails you can always try to set up a U18 compo here Smiley

if (error) throw new Brick(); // Blog (german): http://gedankenweber.wordpress.com
Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-01-30 23:24:52 »

lets just hope riven would approve... persecutioncomplex

Offline Agro
« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-01-30 23:36:24 »

I don't even think it has to be approved. Just make a thread for a contest. I don't think anything would be wrong with that. Its just that if Riven approves it, it would be more popular and supported. Smiley

Offline wreed12345

JGO Knight

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-01-30 23:47:19 »

Do you guys think this would be a cool idea?Huh

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 238
Projects: 11

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-01-30 23:48:21 »

I'm 14. I support this idea.

Maybe there should be different categories for different ages so younger & inexperienced people have a chance.

But the younger people can still win the higher categories. (so a 12 yr old could win all the age categories).

You need to consider (this is off the top of my head, so there will be things to add):

1. Restrictions & Rules. (Time limit, File size, Allowed Libraries, etc.)
2. Themes, if any. (and strictness on themes)
3. How entering works. (post on thread, submit to site)
4. How voting works. (Panel of judges, everyone who entered votes, everyone votes)
5. Categories for voting. (Graphics, Audio, Fun, Epicness etc.)

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-01-31 00:32:46 »

I'm not really for this idea, I think people would learn more comparing their games to industry professionals who have been working for a while.
Offline Best Username Ever

« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-01-31 00:53:57 »

Organizations designed to "help kids make computer games" pop up every two or three months. People can "program" their own games with "no programming skills needed." I don't think participants or reporters catch on to the fact that the tools they use to make their games are actually (sandbox) games themselves and that there game is user generated content, not an original game. Kids (and technologically ignorant adults) are good targets for these money making schemes because they expect the process to be easy. Kids don't usually make games because they don't have the drive to put in the prerequisite effort. If there were shortcuts you could take to make games, adults would take them, too. There is no point in a contest for people that young. The barrier to entry for making games is so high that the number of participants would be tiny and the number of completed entries would be around 1 plus or minus one. On top of that, we do not teach young people enough math and we teach all people to think of computers as black boxes where magic happens in proprietary applications. It would be nice if there were not such barriers, but it is a fact for now.

There is no optimal age that helps a person make better games. Either someone is experienced enough to participate with others with similar experience levels in terms of months or years programming games or they do not have experience to finish a game. The playing field is level even if difficult to enter. In your case, you need to learn basic programming skills, fundamental math knowledge, and independent learning skills. If you think you cannot meet the minimum requirements for an open contest (just make a game that works and is actually a game) but that you could make a better game if your competition was younger, then you are kidding yourself. This is not the type of contest like chess or basketball, where your opponents success is a function of your own failure. The presence or absence of competition has no effect on the quality of your own games.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-01-31 01:24:06 »

Organizations designed to "help kids make computer games" pop up every two or three months. People can "program" their own games with "no programming skills needed." I don't think participants or reporters catch on to the fact that the tools they use to make their games are actually (sandbox) games themselves and that there game is user generated content, not an original game. Kids (and technologically ignorant adults) are good targets for these money making schemes because they expect the process to be easy. Kids don't usually make games because they don't have the drive to put in the prerequisite effort. If there were shortcuts you could take to make games, adults would take them, too. There is no point in a contest for people that young. The barrier to entry for making games is so high that the number of participants would be tiny and the number of completed entries would be around 1 plus or minus one. On top of that, we do not teach young people enough math and we teach all people to think of computers as black boxes where magic happens in proprietary applications. It would be nice if there were not such barriers, but it is a fact for now.

There is no optimal age that helps a person make better games. Either someone is experienced enough to participate with others with similar experience levels in terms of months or years programming games or they do not have experience to finish a game. The playing field is level even if difficult to enter. In your case, you need to learn basic programming skills, fundamental math knowledge, and independent learning skills. If you think you cannot meet the minimum requirements for an open contest (just make a game that works and is actually a game) but that you could make a better game if your competition was younger, then you are kidding yourself. This is not the type of contest like chess or basketball, where your opponents success is a function of your own failure. The presence or absence of competition has no effect on the quality of your own games.

True. Sad, but true; (<-- Oops. Mis-placed semicolon. Has anyone else ever done that?)

Part of the reason for me hoping this to go ahead was that most people around my age on this forum are quite new to programming... Cool

Anyway, I have a better idea:

JGO 1-Week Game Competition!

Offline ctomni231

JGO Wizard

Medals: 98
Projects: 1
Exp: 7 years

Not a glitch. Just have a lil' pixelexia...

« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-01-31 01:58:21 »

I wrote my first game when I was around 14 in BASIC.

I think BUE is right, the hardest part of making the game is just, making the game. My first game took a lot of looking at other people's code, trial and error, and looking at different interactions. Looking back, I worked really hard for many weeks just learning how to get certain code parts together. Even though the code was a hacked mess, I just remember the feeling of getting the game working.

A small competition probably isn't going to change anything. I mean, you can start it, but the pressure of designing in such a small time constraint is probably not going to produce much in that limited people pool. There is still time to join in at the Java4K competition, however. During this time, you can learn a lot about coding and pick up things you didn't know before. (I even learned a lot more about Java just by doing this small competition.)

Experience is the key. Most people who start working on code, start when they are 18+. You guys have a leg up on all of them. Even saying you participated and produced a game on Java4k is something that many many developers will not be able to. The accomplishment comes from what you are able to do, not whether you have a fair shot of winning.

I hope that you guys would participate. Just because you are young doesn't mean your game isn't any less amazing.

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-01-31 02:03:23 »

I'd say Ludum Dare is a better competition than J4K for people learning to make games.
It's more comfortable, and sticking with what you know and improving it gets you quite far.
And the community around it is huge.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-01-31 02:54:54 »

Java4k is more specialized. You struggle to optimize space use, which rarely usable on other things - I mean when you make full release games, space of code won't bother you but assets. In other way, LD lets you to be more creative by not restricting tool/language and playing with the themes.

Offline ctomni231

JGO Wizard

Medals: 98
Projects: 1
Exp: 7 years

Not a glitch. Just have a lil' pixelexia...

« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-01-31 02:59:34 »

Yeah, I forgot all about LD. That is a much better option than Java4k by far for beginners.

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 337
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-01-31 04:40:03 »

I'm 17.6 years old and I approve of this.

Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 744
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-01-31 04:44:18 »

Everybody tends to wish there was a contest tailor made for them.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Best Username Ever

« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-01-31 23:42:53 »

In light of ra4king's relative seniority I propose the age restriction be lowered to < 17.5
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-02-01 04:32:55 »

In light of ra4king's relative seniority I propose the age restriction be lowered to < 17.5
But...but.....whyyyy Cry

Offline Agro
« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-02-01 04:57:39 »

Because you would dominate :O

Offline Alan_W

JGO Knight

Medals: 8
Projects: 3

Java tames rock!

« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-02-01 05:14:36 »

I don't see why not, if you get enough under 18's to make it worthwhile.  On the other hand it only takes a couple of years to get really good, so the standard won't be much easier.  You could wait 6 months before holding it so ra4king can't enter of course :lol:

Time flies like a bird. Fruit flies like a banana.
Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 744
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-02-01 05:43:10 »

As said before, you don't need approval. Just do whatever you wish.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2013-02-01 09:14:32 »

Why wouldn't you want ra4king to participate? Sure, he's all over the place, but I've rarely seen him spit out games of such superior quality that nobody on JGO can compare. Roll Eyes
I would think the more competition the better? Or, are you trying to avoid that by restricting age?

The one-week-game sounds fun.

Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Medals: 66
Projects: 8

Complex != complicated

« Reply #23 - Posted 2013-02-01 11:10:36 »

It's a nice idea, but somehow age seems so arbitrary to me (I'm 34 by the way, so I'd hate to feel almost 100% too old to participate Grin). People come from different backgrounds, go through different paths in life, and have wildly different talents to start with. I doubt that there is a clear correlation between age and skill in games development (would be interesting thing to research though).

Offline Varkas
« Reply #24 - Posted 2013-02-01 11:42:52 »

I also say, give it a go. I'm curious about the games that will be made Smiley

A discussion upfront to decide on an interesting theme will help I guess.

if (error) throw new Brick(); // Blog (german): http://gedankenweber.wordpress.com
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #25 - Posted 2013-02-01 12:12:26 »

How about no age restrict for first try? and let's see the result.

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #26 - Posted 2013-02-01 22:43:52 »

Why wouldn't you want ra4king to participate? Sure, he's all over the place, but I've rarely seen him spit out games of such superior quality that nobody on JGO can compare. Roll Eyes
I would think the more competition the better? Or, are you trying to avoid that by restricting age?

The one-week-game sounds fun.
You doubt my skill?! You doubt my power?! You shall pay!!

But in all seriousness, I've never actually worked on more than 3-4 games...total. I am too busy with school and learning OpenGL Stare

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #27 - Posted 2013-02-01 22:47:05 »

You doubt my skill?! You doubt my power?! You shall pay!!

I've never actually worked on more than 3-4 games...total.

That was my impression too, which made me say that. Smiley

I am too busy with school and learning OpenGL Stare

Ditto! I'm studying physics and math, which makes me want to do more programming. Gah. Cheesy

Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #28 - Posted 2013-02-01 22:50:30 »

Now that doesn't mean that I barely have programming experience! I have coded MANY more non-game things.

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

One for all!

« Reply #29 - Posted 2013-02-01 23:10:39 »

Now that doesn't mean that I barely have programming experience! I have coded MANY more non-game things.

I'm not saying that at all either!

Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Dwinin (6 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (20 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (8 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (39 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (39 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (59 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (50 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (42 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org