Games in Android Showcase (122)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Recommended model file formats  (Read 1339 times)
Offline StrideColossus
« Posted 2013-01-21 14:14:54 »

I've reached the point with my hobby 'engine' where I'm working on importing third-party models, both static geometry (buildings, terrain, trees, etc) and animated/rigged characters.

I've no desire to reinvent the wheel and write hundreds of importers, it would be pointless given that most tools convert to/from the various file formats, but obviously I will need at least something.  Problem is I'm unsure what to support: so far I've implemented an OBJ loader (for simple static stuff) since it's pretty trivial and am just putting the finishing touches to an MD5 importer for rigged/skinned animated models.

However I've noticed that (for example) Blender does not seem to support exporting of MD5 models (or at least not out-of-the-box?)

So:

1. What file format(s) would people suggest I support?  Ideally it would be one, common, open-source, well-documented format for both static and animated models, but I don't know if such a thing exists.

2. I refer to Blender since AFAIK it's quite widely used and is free - are there more ubiquitous or better (free) tools out there?

3. If there is no 'obvious' answer to the question, does anyone have any suggestions for file formats where at least there are lots of free and easily available models (again both static and rigged) on t'interweb. e.g. 3DS (hideous binary format, poorly documented, but just about does the job?)

Note that I'm not looking for plug-ins, third-party libraries, etc. (although links to open-source code are always welcome) as I want to do this from first principles as part of learning this stuff (yes I am a masochist Wink ).  Also I'm not a modeller, I'm just looking for free animated models that I can nick and use.

I realise this same question has been asked many, many times (obviously been searching in Google on this and other similar sites) but most of the information is at best misleading and usually way out-of-date, so any advice or suggestions are appreciated in advance.

Cheers

- stride
Offline theagentd
« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-01-21 17:17:42 »

SMD for animated models. The only format I've found that makes sense.

Myomyomyo.
Online matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 110
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-01-21 19:41:17 »

SMD for animated models. The only format I've found that makes sense.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Studiomdl_Data ?

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline theagentd
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-01-21 20:15:58 »

Yep.

Myomyomyo.
Offline StrideColossus
« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-01-22 09:42:32 »

SMD is indeed nice and straight-forward, I like the fact that there is ASCII human-readable and binary, compacted formats, and it's exactly orientated to my requirements.
Also there are off-the-shelf import/export plug-ins for Blender and other tools, perfect.
Thanks for the suggestions.
 Smiley

EDIT: Anyone know where I can get hold of some 'raw' SMD format animated/skinned models? or will it be easier to try and extract some from a game and convert using the studiomdl tool?
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 353
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-01-25 00:34:18 »

Huh, the Valve site says the SMD format has been superseded by the DMX format. Why stick with SMD?

Offline StrideColossus
« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-01-25 11:25:06 »

Huh, the Valve site says the SMD format has been superseded by the DMX format. Why stick with SMD?

Yes I noticed that when checking out SMD.

IMHO the DMX format is overly complex, poorly documented (have a read through the 'specification' on the Valve site) and seems to have little or no tools support other than the few provided by Valve to the community.  Also it looks like the only way to get hold of models is to extract them from Counter Strike since it's the only game to use the format AFAIK, I can't find a single model available for free on t'internet (though my Google powers are weak).  This was all from a relatively cursory investigation however - would love to put straight if I've got the wrong perception Wink

I've also cooled on SMD now I've started implementing a model loader:  Although the file-format is well understood and relatively straight-forward I'm still struggling to find animated, rigged models.  There are plenty of static ones, but very few animated.  And the ones I've found have been exported from tools such as Blender and/or transformed from other formats and the results are frankly garbage - illogical skeleton structures with superfluous bones, vertices that are never referenced, the same (single) vertex weight applied multiple times, duplicate vertices, etc.

I understand skeletal animation and now have loaders for SMD and MD5, but hadn't expected the problems I'm having simply finding something half-decent to animate!  Am I looking for the wrong stuff, in the wrong places?
Offline Danny02
« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-01-25 12:35:34 »

After reading your post I though to take a look at bone animation myself. And as you I think that dmx is not documented enough.
About animated models which one can use for testing, just search for an animated blender model and export it as smd.

I mean you need to use the blender exporter anyway for your own models, and when the exporter is crap the file format is no good one for your use case.

ps: would you be so kind to share your loader? would get me started quicker.
pss: you can find manny good models here http://www.blendswap.com/
Offline theagentd
« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-01-25 13:07:16 »

IMHO the DMX format is overly complex, poorly documented (have a read through the 'specification' on the Valve site) and seems to have little or no tools support other than the few provided by Valve to the community.
Pretty much what I thought too.

Getting models is a bit difficult. The easiest way is to get the models from the Source SDK. Many 3D programs can export the format too if you make your own, at least through plugins.

Myomyomyo.
Offline StrideColossus
« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-01-25 13:10:42 »

After reading your post I though to take a look at bone animation myself. And as you I think that dmx is not documented enough.
About animated models which one can use for testing, just search for an animated blender model and export it as smd.
I mean you need to use the blender exporter anyway for your own models, and when the exporter is crap the file format is no good one for your use case.

Cool, that's the conclusion I was coming to: use Blender to export SMD.

I might spend some time investigating how the exporter works to see if I can improve it and remove or mitigate the problems I mentioned in the previous post (duplicate vertices, unused bones, etc).  Or it might just be the models that I've tried so far.

ps: would you be so kind to share your loader? would get me started quicker.

I'm at work today and away the weekend but I'll PM the loader code early next week.  

The loaders all use a set of 'builder' classes to construct the model scene-graph from the 'raw' model data (using core profile functionality only: VAOs, VBOs, UBOs, GLSL shaders, etc).  I won't send them since you'd have to take the entire code-base, but you should be able to refactor or reuse the loader classes themselves to integrate with whatever mesh building / rendering code you plan to use.

pss: you can find manny good models here http://www.blendswap.com/

Thanks for that, wasn't aware of that site, and there are a lot of nice freebies on there that I can use, ta Smiley
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

TehJavaDev (31 views)
2014-10-27 03:28:38

TehJavaDev (26 views)
2014-10-27 03:27:51

DarkCart (40 views)
2014-10-26 19:37:11

Luminem (21 views)
2014-10-26 10:17:50

Luminem (26 views)
2014-10-26 10:14:04

theagentd (32 views)
2014-10-25 15:46:29

Longarmx (61 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (57 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (46 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (43 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org