Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #300 - Posted 2014-01-07 20:52:48 »

My rusty TNT2 supported it. Pointing

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Danny02
« Reply #301 - Posted 2014-01-07 22:18:46 »

To use DXT with a texture atlas I think you have to add a 1 pixel border to the single textures, but better do a bit of a search on that topic.
Here a blog post describing the problem with mipmaps of alphamaps:
http://the-witness.net/news/2010/09/computing-alpha-mipmaps/

The thing about normal maps is, that the represent vectors no colors. And when you do you normal bilinear scaling to create your mipmaps, you get wrong normal values. On the other hand there is no problem with scaling a bump-map, because it only holds scalar values.
Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 86
Projects: 1
Exp: 6 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #302 - Posted 2014-01-14 09:12:09 »

I just finished uploading the higher quality textures. Thanks to the dds compression I'm now using 4 times as high resolution textures while using a quarter of the space Smiley Thanks! Here is a picture of how the new blocks look like.

Click for a bigger picture

There are still textures to be improved like the shop, shopkeeper, grain and the machines, but that will come at a later time.

Mike

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Zeke

Junior Devvie

Medals: 1

« Reply #303 - Posted 2014-01-16 00:48:43 »

Really wanted to try the game.

But it won't let me login.

Here is my user: Zeke

I don't know if my password is the problem. It is 30 chars long and has a lot of symbols, upper case, and numbers... etc.

Could that be an issue? I really want to try this out!!!
Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #304 - Posted 2014-01-16 08:58:14 »

Hi Zeke,

Thanks for the interest! Smiley

I see your account but for security reasons I cannot see passwords. Maybe you could try to reset it by clicking on "Forgot password?" in the launcher and see if that is the problem indeed.

Maybe you can let me know whether or not it works in a PM or on the forum of the game Smiley

I currently encode the password to md5 before submitting it from the launcher, maybe my function doesn't handle all cases that well? Does anyone have a piece of code that they know work and give the same answer as PHP?

This is how it currently looks like and it always worked until now:
    public static String encrypt(String input) {
        String result = input;
        if (input != null) {
            MessageDigest md;
            try {
                md = MessageDigest.getInstance("MD5");
                md.update(input.getBytes("UTF-8"));
                BigInteger hash = new BigInteger(1, md.digest());
                result = hash.toString(16);
                while (result.length() < 32) {
                    result = "0" + result;
                }
            } catch (Exception e) {
                e.printStackTrace();
            }
        }
        return result;
    }

Mike

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 830
Projects: 4

Hand over your head.

« Reply #305 - Posted 2014-01-16 12:40:52 »

Be strict! (and limit variable scopes) Pointing

byte[] passwordHash = hash(password.getBytes("UTF-8"));

-    public static String encrypt(String input) {
+    public static String hash(byte[] input) {
-        String result = input; // no longer needed

-        if (input != null) {
+        if (input == null) throw new IllegalArgumentException(); // early out!

-            MessageDigest md;
            try {
-                md = MessageDigest.getInstance("MD5");
+               MessageDigest md = MessageDigest.getInstance("MD5");
                md.update(input);
-               BigInteger hash = new BigInteger(1, md.digest());
-               result = hash.toString(16);
-               while (result.length() < 32) {
-                   result = "0" + result;
-               }
+               return toHex(md.digest());
            } catch (Exception e) {
               // so when something goes wrong, we return the original password!? no way!

-               e.printStackTrace();
+               throw new ShouldNeverHappenException(e);
            }
-        }
-        return result;
    }

private static final char[] hex_lookup_table = "0123456789abcdef".toCharArray();

public static String toHex(byte[] data)
   {
      char[] hex = new char[data.length * 2];
      for(int i = 0, p = 0; i < data.length; i++)
      {
         hex[p++] = hex_lookup_table[(data[i] >> 4) & 0xF];
         hex[p++] = hex_lookup_table[(data[i] >> 0) & 0xF];
      }
      return new String(hex);
   }

My $0.02 persecutioncomplex

Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #306 - Posted 2014-01-16 13:34:48 »

Awesome as always Riv Smiley I'll try it out and see how it works with weird passwords.

Mike

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 113
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #307 - Posted 2014-01-16 14:15:21 »

Please, don't only hash your passwords with md5. That's still a security problem.

If someone knows the password of one of the users, he is able to crack all other user's accounts that have the same hash. Please use salting, so this doesn't happen.

Also, there is stuff like Rainbow Tables, which make it easier / possible to brute-force md5 hashed passwords with today's amount of memory and computation speed.

I suggest you to look into the 'Blowfish' algorithm. I have just quickly googled about what your options are. It looks like JCE is the best option.

Wait a minute, I'll try to write up a simple function and test it Smiley

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline Zeke

Junior Devvie

« Reply #308 - Posted 2014-01-16 18:26:47 »

@Mickelukas

Ya, Matheus23 and Riven are pretty spot on.

Here are two links you may want to read.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.passwords.php

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/211/how-to-securely-hash-passwords

Also, it is working now... password is now only 12 chars after reset. (Idc about this pass, it is strickly for this game)

-- Break --

On a separate note, how do I build things in the game??? I wana make a building. Smiley
Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #309 - Posted 2014-01-17 09:21:19 »

In playground simply click 'b' and go nuts Smiley

In game, buy a piece of land by clicking on a for sale sign (land gets cheaper further away), click 'b' and go nuts until you run out of money ;-)

You might want to plant some grain to get a bit of income. To open the inventory you can click 'i' or 'e'.

Mike

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #310 - Posted 2014-01-25 11:38:27 »

Adding bump maps without passing the tangent doesn't make it look as nice as when the tangent is passed. I'll have to add that somewhere down the road. For now it's done in the fragment shader.

Here are a couple of screenshots of how the game scales with the lowest and highest settings (my laptop runs the lowest settings in 200-300fps, and the highest in 30-40 for a comparison).

I've also passed 170 registered accounts Smiley

Mike

Offline joaogl

Junior Devvie

« Reply #311 - Posted 2014-02-06 19:51:15 »

I'm still waiting for some new stuff Cheesy
And people online too Cheesy
Offline joaogl

Junior Devvie

« Reply #312 - Posted 2014-02-06 19:58:08 »

Also... I've done something that I havent for a long time.... I FOUND A BUG! Cheesy

On Login:

On Teleport:
Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #313 - Posted 2014-02-07 10:30:48 »

There are some 5-6 people that log in every day at the moment, but unluckily not at the same time Smiley

I'll fix the issue in the weekend, didn't have any time this week due to long working days.

In other news I've added blurring of objects far away instead of trying to display every leaf of every tree Smiley

Mike

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #314 - Posted 2014-02-07 21:01:38 »

Ever thought of adding a DOF?

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline Gibbo3771
« Reply #315 - Posted 2014-05-02 11:21:48 »

Is this project dead? Caught it at the side of the forum, logic service seems to be down.

"This code works flawlessly first time and exactly how I wanted it"
Said no programmer ever
Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #316 - Posted 2014-05-02 12:30:31 »

Hi,

It's currently in the freezer, due to personal reasons I don't have any time at all in the evenings to spend on it.

I just tried to log in and it worked for me? There was a problem yesterday though (power outage).

I'll drop a message once things at home calm down again.

Kind regards,
Mike

Online ags1

JGO Wizard

Medals: 72
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

Make code not war!

« Reply #317 - Posted 2014-06-07 14:58:38 »

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties - I hope you come back to this game, it looks very slick.

Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #318 - Posted 2014-06-08 19:10:49 »

Thanks!

I see that there still are 4-7 people online every day, which is very nice considering I didn't do anything for a couple of months.

If all goes well the coming couple of months I'll never ever have to worry about money again, in which case I'll have more time to program for fun Smiley

Mike

Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 55

« Reply #319 - Posted 2014-06-08 22:49:51 »

Don't believe the stuf they write in mails - it's a lie!

Also don't kill relatives for life ensurances - they'll find out!

Wink

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline childofgod

Junior Newbie

Exp: 50 years

« Reply #320 - Posted 2014-07-25 09:45:04 »

Is this project still alive? I've seen no updates since few months. I really like this game, it would be nice to see some new features.
Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #321 - Posted 2014-07-25 18:47:05 »

Hi there,

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm busy with another, non game related, project at the moment, but I'm trying to squeeze in some time for State of Fortune inbetween. As it will be a long time between updates anyway I'm busy with looking into some world breaking changes that will make the game look more interesting and play better.

I'll see what I end up putting into the game, but I'm at least investigating things like digging, a new land generation formula, the ability to place plots wherever you want instead of only on selected spots and a few other things.

Mike

Offline childofgod

Junior Newbie

Exp: 50 years

« Reply #322 - Posted 2014-07-26 12:33:14 »

I think you dont have to go so far with this. It would be fun to see animals in the game for example and be able to herd them or do different stuff with it. Or maybe create horses so travelling long distances would be faster. Add different kinds of crops.  The're are countless ideas I have but maybe it would be easier to think about the basic things first?
Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #323 - Posted 2014-07-26 14:17:06 »

Hi,

I have all of those things on my list as well Smiley

I'd like to do all intrusive changes at once though so I don't have to reset the world for a very long time.

The new map generation is done. I've made the world into a huge island instead of the "infinite" world. The island looks a lot more interesting and if it ever runs out of space I can always add a harbor to explore other islands.

I'm currently testing out kryonet instead of using my horrible blocking network implementation of gzipped strings.

Kind regards,
Mike

Offline bilznatch

Senior Devvie

Medals: 8
Projects: 2
Exp: 1 year

I'm bad, I'm bad, I'm really... really bad T_T

« Reply #324 - Posted 2014-07-26 23:53:04 »

Oh lord, Mike you are my hero. I love the idea of using islands.

My banter below, feel free to ignore:
I think another interesting idea if people do run out of land is to set up a sort of public fund, to create a nearby artificial island. It's way more complex, but say, you add it close enough to see, and you set up a bridge and all that, so that people will have to wait to get out to it, and will get excited for it, and have to pay into the new land to get to it. (Using in game currency they have obtained of course)

Good way to create an artificial money sink in a game like that, and you could make it so it's "government" funded partially, and over time will get completed either way, so that it doesn't limit the actual game, just gives people something to spend on. Of course, you could always just make this sort of idea as a "building a connection to a newly discovered island" instead of an artificial one, but it's an interesting way to go about it.

You could do some crazy stuff though, like adding in a literal government system and elections, giving some players the power to pass laws which get voted on by the population of their island that they govern, etc. It is called State of Fortune after all, never a bad reason to add politics and ways to spend money. At that point, it turns less about your idea of agriculture and exchange though and more into a colonization sim.

Anyway, those are just my tidbits of ideas, I'm sure whatever you do with the actual gameplay will be good, hell it already is fun to play and you're focusing on the technical side still. Hope to see more updates from you in the future.
Offline Evil-Devil

Senior Devvie

Medals: 2

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #325 - Posted 2014-07-29 10:53:26 »

Anyone still logging in? Just bought ovens to increase my income. Though some nice features that mike have thought and I talked about of have never been added since Sad
Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #326 - Posted 2014-07-29 10:57:08 »

Indeed, sorry about that, life came inbetween. I am grabbing some time here and there at the moment to work on Alpha 2.0.

Kind regards,
Mike

Offline Evil-Devil

Senior Devvie

Medals: 2

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #327 - Posted 2014-07-29 16:18:07 »

Anything you can state here or at the SoF board already? ^^
Offline Mike

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #328 - Posted 2014-07-29 18:45:43 »

Sorry for the long post, but I just dropped it all in here, so take it with a grain of salt!

It's mostly me trying things out behind the scenes that will have a big impact now or down the line. Here is a list of things that I'm currently trying out. It might not all make it though so don't get your hopes up on all the points Smiley

1. Use a big island (about 400km2) instead of the infinite land. Down the line it'd be great to go by boat to other islands, but that won't make this update for sure. I've added some examples of how the island generation looks like (it is pure noise, I don't do any precomputed calculations over the whole map). The mountain ranges look weird, but it's a thin line between a great looking map and great looking views in game (already completed)

2. Change the client<->server communication to Kryonet. I'm tired of breaking things because I forget to pass all parameters in my string communication as well as NIO being a whole lot better for scalability Smiley

3. Change the mountain texture to look better from a distance and the sand texture to look better from up close (already completed).

4. Add random patches of sand/stone instead of having a uniform texture on the ground (already completed).

5. Change the trees so shadows can be cast on them, as well as them looking a lot better (partly completed).

6. Implement forests instead of just placing random trees (already completed).

7. Look into digging. There are a couple of challenges though which might make me drop this.
  • A. The water is currently a flat quad to make it impossible for grievers to, for example, flood the land of someone. If I were to add digging I'd have to split up the water into a whole lot of quads, possibly decreasing the FPS.
  • B. The big challenge is the LOD of the land. I can now draw huge drawing distances as I can easily lower the LOD of the land. Once people can start digging in the land that becomes a whole lot harder and will cause quite big movements between the different LOD levels. Does anyone have experience with anything like this? There is a reason why Minecraft doesn't do LOD Smiley

8. Shift all blocks 0.5 units, making it easier to implement digging as the four corners of a land tile will correspond with the 4 corners of a block.

9. Allow you to buy land wherever you want instead of on pre-determined plots. With the new map generation there will be some interesting places, and I won't limit you from building a cute cottage on that island that you need to swim to for half an hour the first time you go there Smiley

10. A real map so you can see where on the island you currently are (also used for buying land).

11. Add random stones and bushes to make the landscape less repetitive.

12. Add a setting for huge draw distance (10km) instead of the current limitation of 1km for the super computers out there. Should be quite easy as I already need that data for the map.

13. Instead of the blurring of distance objects, make them fade to the sky color (already completed).

14. Fix some of the known issues.

I'll post some screenshots once I can start the game up again and some more of the changes are implemented.

I'd also like to finish the Oculus Rift support (got my DK2 today!) but that'll have to be after Alpha 2.0.

Mike

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 830
Projects: 4

Hand over your head.

« Reply #329 - Posted 2014-07-29 19:00:58 »

A. The water is currently a flat quad to make it impossible for grievers to, for example, flood the land of someone. If I were to add digging I'd have to split up the water into a whole lot of quads, possibly decreasing the FPS.
I'm not sure about your reasoning? You keep one quad, and as you dig, you will see this quad appear as the terrain will be lower than the water (think of it as ground water level).

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xFryIx (58 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (37 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50

digdugdiggy (30 views)
2014-11-12 21:10:15

digdugdiggy (26 views)
2014-11-12 21:09:33

kovacsa (48 views)
2014-11-07 19:57:14

TehJavaDev (51 views)
2014-11-03 22:04:50

BurntPizza (51 views)
2014-11-03 18:54:52

moogie (66 views)
2014-11-03 06:22:04

CopyableCougar4 (65 views)
2014-11-01 23:36:41

DarkCart (150 views)
2014-11-01 14:51:03
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org