Medals: 71
Projects: 1
Exp: 5 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #270 - Posted 2013-09-21 00:59:05 »

Hi all! Smiley

Here is a quick update as to what changed during the last week:
  • It's now easier to see which plots are yours on the minimap
  • The server is now the only one that keeps track of spending and getting money
  • Improved the detailed grass transition and visibility of height differences
  • F12 toggles the overlay on/off
  • The minimap show/hide is saved when logging out
  • If you finish a stack of seeds and have more in the inventory the seeds are automatically refilled
  • Improved the prices to be less extreme in the center and in the huge plots in the outskirts
  • You can now buy bread in the shop. If you eat bread you can plant seeds/harvest grain for 5 minutes, or until logging out, while holding in the button instead of clicking constantly
  • Fixed several bugs

The next things to be implemented, except for performance and bug fixes, is a mill to seperate the wheat from the chaff, a mill to grind the wheat into flour, a well to get water and an oven to bake your own bread. Once you can bake bread yourself it will be removed from the store.

Mike

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #271 - Posted 2013-10-25 00:25:01 »

First of all, a list of changes since my last post:
The compass window shows you the distance to your destination
The compass window shows you your current position
You can enter a custom destination into the compass window
Increased the performance (from 40 to 100 fps on my laptop with high settings for example)
Decreased the stuttering when building
Improved the floor/wall logic so you don't have to build floors that stick out through the walls on buildings (caused some graphical glitches, fixed soon)
Added grain threshers so you can turn wheat into wheat seeds and hay (hay will later be used for feeding animals)
Added flour mills so you can turn wheat seeds into flour
Added wells so you can get water
Added ovens so you can turn water, logs and flour into bread
Added a shopkeeper you can buy where you can place, and price, items to sell to other people
Fixed bugs

Secondly, and maybe more interesting for the border searching junkies we are. I'm currently working on dynamic shadows. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be (took me like two weeks of almost every evening) but I'll probably be able to upload an almost complete version in the weekend.

Here are some screenshots:

If any of you are looking into implementing shadows in your own game just ask any question and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. Smiley

Mike

Offline phu004

JGO Coder

Medals: 4
Projects: 9
Exp: 10 years

NoSuchPersonException

« Reply #272 - Posted 2013-10-25 01:43:09 »

Hi Mike, the shadow in your last screenshots looks really detailed. Can I ask if you are using shadow mapping or shadow volume? If it is shadow mapping, what resolution do you use for the shadow buffer?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #273 - Posted 2013-10-25 09:04:15 »

Hi,

I chose to go for shadow mapping for the simplicity, shadow volume looked more difficult Smiley

I use a resolution of just 1024x1024, but I'm generating 4 shadows with a different orthogonal projection. The technique is called cascaded shadow maps.

The best site I found in regards to shadow mapping is this one:
http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/intermediate-tutorials/tutorial-16-shadow-mapping/

Kind regards,
Mike

Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #274 - Posted 2013-11-05 23:25:52 »

Another few evenings and I now have some better looking smooth dynamic shadows that aren't extremely heavy on the fps if you have an okay graphics card:

It's starting to get time to add more content again, just improving on the performance and adding shadows for a few weeks is getting one sided.

Mike

Offline ags1

JGO Ninja

Medals: 46
Projects: 2

Make code not war!

« Reply #275 - Posted 2013-11-28 22:22:31 »

I love the look of your world. I need to make the grass in my game greener!

Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #276 - Posted 2013-11-28 22:49:32 »

Thanks! It's still missing some things, like some random stones and so on, but it's indeed starting to look better.

I'm currently busy with making a downloadable launcher (like Farsky Wink) as it's finally sinking in that applets are dead Sad

Mike

Offline ags1

JGO Ninja

Medals: 46
Projects: 2

Make code not war!

« Reply #277 - Posted 2013-11-28 22:58:02 »

My Fog game also has a Farmville thing going on, but crossed with Doom :-)

I just downloaded tree[d] - thanks!

Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #278 - Posted 2013-12-09 22:26:27 »

This is how the launcher turned out. It has a couple of handy features like if I want the game to download another jar file for example I just need to define it on the server and the client will understand it. The server reads the modified date of the files to check if there are new files instead of me having to keep track of some version number or so. It also only downloads the files needed for your specific OS and it picks up your java path automatically. It fetches the news from the website and sends your password md5'ed.

There are still some things to fix in the game itself to make it run good as a standalone application instead of an applet, but that should be doable quite quickly. Smiley

Mike

Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #279 - Posted 2013-12-09 23:42:40 »

Yeah I read that websites tutorial and am still lost. He has good tutorials though. One thing I found funny is that on his particles tutorial his example image of a particle animation sheet is some of the output from my SystemX editor I uploaded. Freaking awesome.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline joaogl

Medals: 1

« Reply #280 - Posted 2013-12-10 18:36:18 »

Mike...That is.. Beautiful... Hope see that soon on my pc! Cheesy also... why there are no players recently? not even you?
Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #281 - Posted 2013-12-10 19:54:47 »

Thanks Joa. I am currently spending my time fixing up the game instead of playing it. Once the core things are fixed me and the other testers will be back again  Smiley

Mike

Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #282 - Posted 2013-12-21 18:58:20 »

I just finished the last part of the website and put it online. The following things changed since the last update post:

Completely new website
A new game forum
Changed from an applet to a downloadable program
Added dynamic soft shadows
You can now change resolution
The game can now automatically start up in full screen mode
You can now quit the game while in full screen mode
If you forget your password you can reset it (for the current players, if you want to use the functionality please IM me your email address over one of the forums and I'll add it to the database)
You can now choose gender when you create a new account. It doesn't do anything yet though, but I'll add that shortly. For the current players, let me know if you want to be shown as a female (I defaulted everyone to man).
Improved performance
Fixed bugs

If you find any new bugs, please let me know on the game forum so we don't have to spam JGO. Smiley

I'll head back into the code of the game itself again now that the main things around it has been taken care of.

Kind regards,
Mike

EDIT: One of the computers at home has problems with the full screen mode, if it isn't working for you please change it to windowed mode in the options of the launcher until I fixed it.

Offline joaogl

« Reply #283 - Posted 2013-12-24 19:53:31 »

First of all.... Thank you.. this is like a christmas present from u Cheesy.
Second its working just fine Cheesy

Keep up the good work!

Happy Holidays for everyone!
Joaogl.
Offline joaogl

« Reply #284 - Posted 2013-12-24 20:26:10 »

There is one thing left on the update... a texture change on the trees to make them christmas trees during  day 25 ...
Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #285 - Posted 2014-01-03 00:48:52 »

Thanks for the bump up to featured Riven! Smiley

After a lot of relatives visiting during Christmas and New Years I ended up adding normal mapping today. It wasn't as difficult as I had thought and even though the effect is subtle it makes a nice impact while playing.

Here is a with and without screenshot (It is currenty turned on when you turn on shadows and/or high quality ground, so only look at the texture difference):

And here is a full hd screenshot of how the game looks like now (click for full quality):

Mike

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 238
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #286 - Posted 2014-01-03 00:56:39 »

Some better shading would take the feel of the game to a whole new level, and what you've done there is a pretty good start.

Two types I would recommend are ambient occlusion (probably in the form of SSAO) and normal-mapping your textures.
Those two together make the difference between a 2D sheet with a wall texture and real-looking 3D wall.

As usual, amazing work!

Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #287 - Posted 2014-01-03 01:00:14 »

Some better shading would take the feel of the game to a whole new level, and what you've done there is a pretty good start.

Two types I would recommend are ambient occlusion (probably in the form of SSAO) and normal-mapping your textures.
Those two together make the difference between a 2D sheet with a wall texture and real-looking 3D wall.

As usual, amazing work!

Thanks!

The normal mapping is what I just added (although I am aware that the normal maps aren't the best, I just generated them from the textures). Somewhere down the line I'll go ahead and get an artist make me some really nice textures with fitting normal maps instead of the random ones I have at the moment.

It's not the first time that someone says SSAO, I had a look at it but didn't understand anything, maybe I'll look at it again to see if I can make any sense out of how to implement it Smiley

Mike

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #288 - Posted 2014-01-03 01:14:59 »

Heh I was just about to suggest the same thing. SSAO is a complicated shader, and it destroys performance if done incorrectly but it is worth it in the end.  Try adding in bloom as well, it's probably one of the most simple post processing effects you can do and it adds quite a bit to the game. For example, here is the very first bloom shader I made:

uniform sampler2D m_Texture;
varying vec2 texCoord;
void main() {
    vec4 color = texture2D(m_Texture, texCoord);

int i, j;
    vec4 final = vec4(0);
    for(i = -2; i <= 2; i++){
        for(j = -2; j <= 2; j++){
            vec2 sampler = vec2(i, j) * 0.005;
            final += texture2D(m_Texture, texCoord  + vec4(sampler, 0.0, 0.0));
        }
    }
    gl_FragColor = (final / 25) + color;
}

Simple!

Of course to get a nicer effect you would probably need a two pass Gaussian blur unless you want to do the blur in one pass, which isn't very good performance-wise.
Finally, check out parallax mapping, it's another really nice effect. Simple as well.

Good job on your game, it looks really nice!

Edit:
From your images I can't tell if you already have this, but try adding in some "froth" where water touches land, it would make it look a million times better. Unless of course if you already added it, as I said I couldn't tell.

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #289 - Posted 2014-01-03 01:18:57 »

Oh sorry, I thought you just normal mapped the whole 'blocks' (whatever you call them), not the textures.

Have you experimented with making the effect stronger?
On some of the wood pieces I can't tell if it's normal-mapped or not.

Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #290 - Posted 2014-01-03 01:28:42 »

Try adding in bloom as well, it's probably one of the most simple post processing effects you can do and it adds quite a bit to the game. For example, here is the very first bloom shader I made:

That was more of a blur than a bloom shader. It made everything look... blurry Smiley I considered adding such a filter for items far away, but never really got to it.

Finally, check out parallax mapping, it's another really nice effect. Simple as well.

I had a look at that today actually and while it can be a nice effect one some kind of blocks it seemed like a lot of work as I'm not that good with the picture editing programs Smiley

From your images I can't tell if you already have this, but try adding in some "froth" where water touches land, it would make it look a million times better. Unless of course if you already added it, as I said I couldn't tell.

I indeed didn't add that. Again mainly as I wouldn't know how to, but if I get some freeze and want to dive into something really difficult it is one of the effects that I'd like to add Smiley

Have you experimented with making the effect stronger?

I tried but as the normal maps aren't of that high quality it made it look quite bad. I'll revisit making the effect stronger once I have better textures.

Now you guys made me dive into SSOA again, I'll never add any new content like this Smiley

Mike

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #291 - Posted 2014-01-03 01:35:18 »

If you get it working, it will be worth it. Pointing

Before AO:

After AO:

(EDIT: Ignore the different fog shaders)

(EDIT 2: Also note that it is fake AO, not SSAO. This kind of fake AO really only works on voxels)

Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #292 - Posted 2014-01-03 02:32:33 »

It took an hour to add but it looks awesome and my fps didn't even drop with 1. I'll upload it into the game tomorrow or so.

With/without comparison look around the "shelf" over the doors, the shop letters, around the doors, the far away trees, the lowest window, the landscape and more:

Medal! Tongue

Mike

Offline Slyth2727
« Reply #293 - Posted 2014-01-03 04:47:19 »

Beauutiful!! Glad you did it!

That was more of a blur than a bloom shader. It made everything look... blurry Smiley I considered adding such a filter for items far away, but never really got to it.

I don't think you quite understand bloom shaders Smiley
What happens is the shader loops through the horizontal axis 5 times and the vertical axis 5 times and adds those samples together. This, indeed, is a blur. However the final bit (gl_FragColor = (final / 25) + color) adds the blur to the color of the pixel it is on, making any lighter pixels "bleed" into the current fragment. Maybe you are not setting the sampler2d correctly? I know it's elementary but try just setting gl_FragColor to color. If the scene looks completely normal the color is being calculated correctly (I know you probably already did this).

Anyways, you should end up with something like this (this is a test scene for my playing around with shaders):

as I said this is a messy implementation and you can certainly improve on it but it will give you a taste for what it'll look like.

Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?
Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #294 - Posted 2014-01-03 18:27:13 »

I tried out a few different bloom effects but I didn't really like it. It might look nice for a short while when walking outside from a dark area for example, but it's not worth the performance hit of having it on all the time. I also found a nice artist and will try out if he can improve the textures and make better normal maps. Smiley

I improved some things around the SSAO like allowing for anti aliasing (made it a little bit slower though), made it an option and uploaded it to the live game.

Here is the last screenshot for a while, thank you for pushing me! Smiley

Just like every screenshot I posted you can click it for a bigger version. The grass used to look okay, but with the other improvements it is now the least good looking thing in the whole game Smiley

Mike

Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #295 - Posted 2014-01-06 20:53:42 »

I know I said that I'd not post another picture for a while, but my artist just delivered the first two new textures with normals and... well, see for yourself!

Click for full HD glory and switch inbetween a couple of times to see the improvement.

The new textures are 256x256 per block instead of 128x128 (which increases the download with 10mb, so I'll make it an optional download). Safe to say though, I'll always play with them on! I also cranked up the normal map contribution seeing as his normal maps are of much better quality than mine. Smiley

Kind regards,
Mike

Offline Danny02
« Reply #296 - Posted 2014-01-06 22:32:36 »

Two things I would like to add/ask.

Do you already use DXT compressed textures? They will cut down enormously on the file size.
Do you create the normal/alpha mip-maps correctly?
The thing with standard mip-maps for normal-maps is, that the lower mip levels will look flat. To have correct values you will need a base high-res bump-map(gray-scaled). You would than need to manually scale down this bump-map to each mip size and then convert each level to a normal-map.
Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #297 - Posted 2014-01-06 22:50:36 »

Do you already use DXT compressed textures? They will cut down enormously on the file size.

Nope, I didn't even know of that until now Smiley Compressing the biggest texture brings it down from 6.5mb to 2mb. I'll see if I can figure out how to read it in, that will make a nice size difference if the quality isn't too bad!

Do you create the normal/alpha mip-maps correctly?
The thing with standard mip-maps for normal-maps is, that the lower mip levels will look flat. To have correct values you will need a base high-res bump-map(gray-scaled). You would than need to manually scale down this bump-map to each mip size and then convert each level to a normal-map.

Then... no, I'm not creating normal mip-maps correctly Smiley What's the reason of scaling the gray-scale map instead of scaling the normal map?

EDIT: Seeing as I'm using texture atlases (I guess that is why at least) the quality of the DXT1 compression didn't get that good. It was worth a try though, thanks!

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 742
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #298 - Posted 2014-01-07 18:26:11 »

You pass DXTn image data as is to your texture, instead of the RGBA pixel format, as your gpu natively supports DXTn.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Mike

JGO Ninja

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #299 - Posted 2014-01-07 20:47:46 »

Right, I decompressed it instead Smiley I'll try it out. Is it safe to say that gfx cards that support VBO's also support DXTn?

Mike

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  ignore  |  Print  

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (11 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (10 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (11 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (12 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (42 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (38 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (32 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (34 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (50 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (50 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org