Games in Android Showcase (108)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Help in new to java can you lead me in the right d  (Read 2114 times)
Offline Eroden

Junior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Posted 2003-12-11 18:16:35 »

I am looking to use this to make games. It is one of the languages i have not learnt, i now javascript but i would like to use java, i dont like the java home page and i found it hard to navigate to get the right informtion to get the download that is suitable for me. im looking to make games online so i dont no what i have to download.

can anyone lead me in the right direction? Huh Huh

Thanks Eroden  Smiley
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 122
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-12-12 06:42:41 »

** Moved to Newless Clubies **

You're more likely to get the replies you want here.

Kev

Offline Eroden

Junior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-12-12 16:23:15 »

now all i have to do is get some one to help me, cheers mod
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline tom
« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-12-12 16:51:22 »

If you have only used javascript before, I would recommend bying Java programming book. I used "Java How to program" by Deitel & Deitel" when I learned java, and I recommend it.

You could also google for tutorials. There must be tons of them.

Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-12-13 04:25:22 »

"Online" isn't enough information to direct you.  Let me pull some more info out. Do you want to do...

Games that are embedded in Web Pages?  In that case you want to ask about Applets.

Tiny games with quick downloads?  In that case again you want to ask about Applets.

Games that are launched from a Web Page, but are larger and/or run in their own Window?  In that case you want to do Java Webstart enabled Applications.

Games that are downloaded and installed like a traditional game but then communicate over the net?  In that case you are talking straight j2SE Application development.  (But still may want to look at Webstart as an update manager.)

Servers for games.  In this case today you are looking at J2SE Applciation(s) and/or J2EE applications depending on what you are trying to do.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline Eroden

Junior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-12-13 12:18:11 »

i would like to make an applet, i would like to make a 2d MMORPG like habbo hotel but i know that that is done in director which i do not have the money to buy do i am looking to make a game like it in java. i would like it to be a multi user dimension meaning that i will need a server, and i would like to know what i havwe top get i have the Web Start but do i program my applets in note pad?
Offline immudium

Gorram it!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-12-13 21:29:47 »

If you're asking about a development environment, I would suggest using eclipse at http://www.eclipse.org.  It's free and IMO better than the majority of commercial Java development environments out there.  It's one Achilles heal, however is the lack of an integrated GUI builder, but plugins for that are in the works.  That said, I've never really had much use for a GUI builder personally.  Probably only really necessary if you're doing more traditional 2D applications.
Offline Eroden

Junior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-12-13 23:03:33 »

well im looking to make A 2D game, and im really confused, becase i want to use JAVA because i know how good it is, its a 2D isometric view that i want to do, can any one point me to the java sofware i need?
Huh
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2003-12-13 23:51:08 »

Okay, if you are looking for a game engine (map editor and run-time core) I don't knwo what you can find, go search Sourceforge at a guess.

If you want to actually write your own game code, you need at least the Java2 SDK. You can download that at java.sun.com.  That plus any text editor will let you write and compile Java code including Applets.

Its easier to write in an IDE and there are many available, some of the most popular free ones are Sun's Forte (or Sun One Studio for Java, or whatever we're calling it now), NetBeans (which is the generic OpenSource version of the Sun IDE), Eclipse (which IBM pushes) and JBuilder Personal (which you cna download from the Borland site.)

If you want to run your Applet on MSVM you are going to have to code to the 1.1.8 standard NOT the current 1.4 standard.  This means being careful about what classes and methods you use and compiling with the proper flags to generate 1.1.8 compatible class files.  Once you get into that folks here can help point you at instructions on how to do that.

Keep in mind that Java is a real general purpose programming language, as opposed to Flash/Lingo which is really a hyper-evolved multi-media scripting language.  This means you can do a lot more in java but the learning curve is going to be greater and doing simple multi-media type things are going to take a little more work.  What you gain for that is the ability to do complex things not possible in Flash.

If you have little to no general purpose programming experience I would start  with a  MUCH less ambitious project.  A fairly single player game is a good starting point to learn to code Applet games.  (eg pac man, Defender, that sort of thing.)

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

Offline rdcarvallo

Projects: 5
Exp: 15 years

2D Java games forever!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2003-12-14 00:03:00 »

well im looking to make A 2D game, and im really confused, becase i want to use JAVA because i know how good it is, its a 2D isometric view that i want to do, can any one point me to the java sofware i need?

To what are you refering as 'java software'??
Something like RPGMaker?? (nice piece of software Smiley )

To program (different from making) a game in Java, you need:
  • Java Development Kit: j2se actually in version 1.4.2
  • Development Environtment: Anything that can aid you to write the java code.. ej: eclipse, SunStudio, NetBeans, etc.

Now, to make a game you need:
  • To know the basics, like game loop, tiling, etc.
  • To have a good design!
  • Resources: art, music, etc.
  • .... Money and Time Grin

As someone pointed out, first you need to learn to program in Java... The Deitel&Deitel book is a very good start..

Rafael
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #10 - Posted 2003-12-14 08:33:18 »

If you're after a 2d isometric game, then the best book on the subject is this one: http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=110
Doesn't have anything Java specific, but it does cover all the maths and the important concepts.

Is Jeff's Scroller still living somewhere? Not totally sure how good it is to give to someone learning though.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2003-12-16 02:35:27 »

Scroller is on the Wiki in the cleaned up form Ghergis did for us.
If you search on "Scroller" there are links posted here.

That link, is that to TANSTAAFL's book?  Thats what I used when writing Scroller and its a great book.  You will need to translate though as the examples are C.  Thats much of what Scroller can give you-- my attempts at translation.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (16 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (22 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (14 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (12 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (32 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (43 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (42 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (31 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org