ignore  |  Print  
  Space Spiders  (Read 2541 times)
Offline nhmllr

Medals: 1
Projects: 3

slow and steady...

« Posted 2013-01-13 04:59:32 »

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?ioil66pc3qifnhj

Hello! After a long time, my first real game in Java is complete!
I really couldn't have done it without this fantastic forum, which answered all of my stupid questions!
I just kept adding features so I could learn more about making a game in Java2D.

The game is a mix of Temple Run and Mega Man, two games that I thought would blend pretty well.

If you like arcade games, give it a go! It's only 2MB! :p
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 212
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

If it wasn't Awesome, it wasn't me.

« Reply #1 - Posted 2013-01-13 06:38:52 »

Well done on making this with Java2D.

Good game. I suck though, so I died on the second level.

Offline ctomni231

JGO Ninja

Medals: 71
Projects: 1
Exp: 7 years

Not a glitch. Just have a lil' pixelexia...

« Reply #2 - Posted 2013-01-13 06:55:20 »

It is a very nice game.

When someone quits the game, make sure that you kill all the music and sound threads by closing them so they don't continue playing when you quit. Other than that, it is pretty solid and a bit challenging in the later levels.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Vladiedoo
« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-01-13 07:58:13 »

That was surprisingly fun, nice work.

I know the game is finished but here are some things I would change
  • WASD support on main-menu.
  • Shadow under the character that changes dynamically when jumping (you can just use a shrinking black circle).
  • Make the game harder but remove losing life when enemies are not killed.
  • Perhaps some abilities, like a psionic shield that blocks X bullets (with a new ammunition system for it, maybe cooldown based).

Q: How did you make the planets?
Offline nhmllr

slow and steady...

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-01-13 14:52:05 »

I know the game is finished but here are some things I would change
  • WASD support on main-menu.
  • Shadow under the character that changes dynamically when jumping (you can just use a shrinking black circle).
  • Make the game harder but remove losing life when enemies are not killed.
  • Perhaps some abilities, like a psionic shield that blocks X bullets (with a new ammunition system for it, maybe cooldown based).

Q: How did you make the planets?

Yes, the game is not perfectly polished. At a certain point I just wanted to finish it! But yes all of your criticism is valid. I'll think these things through much harder with my next game.

Also, the planets were pretty flipping hard to execute, not gonna lie. They were something I knew I wanted from the beginning, but had a hard time implementing.

First things's first, I got the texture of the planets' surfaces online from real images of Mercator projections of the planet (except for Pluto, which had almost no resolution, and Uranus, who's color was too homogenous). Then I load all the colors from this image into an array of colors. Then, through a magic equation that I will discuss in a second, I calculate all the vertex points of the tiny quadrilaterals, then feed those points into an array of polygons and then draw all the polygons.

That magic equation I was talking about does not produce a real sphere, just a shape that looks like one when when the top is observed. The equation behind the coordinates of a sphere are long and very expensive. Instead, I just constructed my own through trial and error and variable-tweaking. I think what I did is define the x and y coordinates using the imaginary angle from the center of the planet and the column. I think I added some sine curvature in a few places to make is seem more rounded through cheap means.

TL;DR - trial and error
Offline nhmllr

slow and steady...

« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-01-13 14:58:22 »

It is a very nice game.

When someone quits the game, make sure that you kill all the music and sound threads by closing them so they don't continue playing when you quit. Other than that, it is pretty solid and a bit challenging in the later levels.

Ah jeez, I never noticed that! Thanks, should be all fixed now.
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 114
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-01-13 18:05:52 »

Nice game, very polished Smiley
How are you generating the paths/tiles?
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 24

One for all!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-01-13 18:46:31 »

Good job! Not entirely polished everywhere, but a dang good looking game for what it is!

Offline seismic

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-01-13 21:04:08 »

Well, that was fun Cheesy
Good job
Offline nhmllr

slow and steady...

« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-01-14 02:09:59 »

Nice game, very polished Smiley
How are you generating the paths/tiles?

Thanks! The level's aren't "generated" so much as "designed." I toyed with the idea of random level generation, but I realized that manually designing them is way easier and would produce better results. My method of loading levels is not particularly unique. I would make a .PNG of the level plan, with each pixel being a tile. For example, black pixels were empty spaces, white pixels were floor tiles, red tiles were hearts, brown tiles were standard spiders and so on. After I made all of the levels like this in MS Paint, I loaded them up as BufferedImages and got the array of colors, then loaded the levels accordingly.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline JohnsonCorp

Senior Newbie

« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-01-21 07:09:46 »

Can you incorporate jumps? It gets kinda hard real fast.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print