Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Galactic Conquest 4K - II  (Read 4646 times)
Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Medals: 68
Projects: 8
Exp: 5 years

Complex != complicated

« Posted 2012-12-20 08:38:16 »

The year is 4096 and all hell just broke loose. Xenophobia got the upper hand, and now all races in the known galaxy are at war. Cruisers are cruising, lasers are blasting and aliens are screaming. There is no surrender, only extermination or victory! Part II!

I've made an update to my 2012 entry for Java4K (the old version), since I managed to squeeze out some extra bytes due to an improved compression chain. It's got improved graphics, more game settings, a history chart, and drag selection. Unfortunately the terrible space monster bit the dust, since it did not seem to add much in the way of fun.

[applet archive=gc4k.jar class=G width=800 height=600]

You can also play the game on the Java4K site or my site.

Controls:
- Left click = select single star (with nothing selected) or move ships from selected star(s) to this star.
- Drag with left mouse button down = select multiple stars.
- Right click = change number of ships to move from each selected star (all, half, one). If you move one or half of the ships, the current star will stay selected (deselect by clicking in empty space).
- Mouse over an owned star to see its current infrastructure and build project (ship or starbase).
- C key = toggle mouseover star as collection point. New ships move to collection points automagically.
- S key = build star base at mouseover star.
- H key = toggle visibility of balance of powers history graph

Gameplay tips:
- Choose action game for a quick battle that requires fast reflexes; choose an epic game for a slow, lengthy fight.
- Ships move faster between owned stars (because of fancy warp accelerator technology), use this to your advantage.
- Production speed of ships and star bases depends directly on the infrastructure level of the star (i.e. 10% infrastructure = only 10% production speed). Keep your well-developed stars safe!
- You can support one starbase for each 5 stars conquered (one is free). A starbase provides powerful stationary defense, and a 50% production bonus. While building a starbase, the star does not produce ships however.
- Try to capture chokepoints and enforce these with starbases. Set chokepoints as collection points to reinforce them automatically.
- Be sure to leave some defenses at stars in the second line in case the AI slips through.
- Higher difficulty means that the AI acts more quickly and produces ships faster. Impossible is really impossible :-)

Offline orogamo
« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-12-20 14:52:54 »

I played this game and I Loved it, it was AWESOME
It was running very smooth even when there were like thousands of those small adorable little ships.
2 thumbs up for you Cheesy
Offline Apo
« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-12-20 15:51:00 »

Yes, very nice game. I like that style of game.

I had only one suggestion:
- When I selected many stars I don't see which stars I have selected (perhaps a little red (or other color) drawOval around the planets would help)
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Mike

JGO Wizard

Medals: 76
Projects: 1
Exp: 6 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-12-20 17:22:00 »

Great game, the only thing missing for me too is some kind of selection. Other than that, nice!

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 345
Projects: 3

I'm the King!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-12-20 21:22:10 »

I got hooked for a couple hours.....wow. Good job! I absolute love these kinds of games. Is there a name for this?

Online HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 253
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-12-20 21:40:12 »

Awesome!

Offline BenniBanni

Medals: 2
Projects: 2

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-12-21 08:20:26 »

I already liked the version from last year, and it happened again: I've lost several hours to this game...   Emo
Thanks!
 Grin
Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Complex != complicated

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-12-21 09:49:16 »

Haha, thanks! It's great to hear that you enjoyed the game. I like playing it myself :-)

- When I selected many stars I don't see which stars I have selected (perhaps a little red (or other color) drawOval around the planets would help)

The selected stars actually light up a little, but he effect may be too subtle. I'll try to make the selection effect a bit more clear.

Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Complex != complicated

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-12-21 09:55:17 »

I got hooked for a couple hours.....wow. Good job! I absolute love these kinds of games. Is there a name for this?

Nice Grin I'm not sure there's a name for it, it's a bit of a mix-up of several types of games. I just tried to make a space strategy game as simple as possible (user-interface wise) and ended up with this.

Offline Sammyster

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-12-21 15:16:26 »

Really cool game this one, and only 4K.
Excellent!:)
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Geemili

Medals: 9
Exp: 2 years

No Games Finished

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-12-21 15:48:18 »

Loved the game! However, the game was laggy from the beginning... I think it's just my computer...
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-12-21 19:32:40 »

Nice Grin I'm not sure there's a name for it, it's a bit of a mix-up of several types of games. I just tried to make a space strategy game as simple as possible (user-interface wise) and ended up with this.
I think what you have now is perfect. The controls and UI are fine, no complaints from me.

After a bit of googling, it seems like these kinds of games are called 4X games, which are a subgenre of strategy games. Well.....now I know what games I'm making/buying in the future Smiley

Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Complex != complicated

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-12-24 10:30:17 »

I think what you have now is perfect. The controls and UI are fine, no complaints from me.

Thanks Smiley It works quite well this way, glad you enjoy it!

After a bit of googling, it seems like these kinds of games are called 4X games, which are a subgenre of strategy games. Well.....now I know what games I'm making/buying in the future Smiley

Games in this genre I'm kind of addicted to are the classic Master of Orion (mother of all 4X games), and games like Sins of a Solar Empire. Yesterday I've been looking on Android for something similar, and the closest thing I could find was the cool-looking Auralux. Maybe that's something for you as well?

Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Complex != complicated

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-12-24 10:54:32 »

When a star is selected it now lights up much more strongly, that should make it easier to see.

Offline Mike

JGO Wizard

Medals: 76
Exp: 6 years

Java guru wanabee

« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-12-24 23:12:20 »

Much better! Smiley

Mike

My current game, Minecraft meets Farmville and goes online Smiley
State of Fortune | Discussion thread @ JGO
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

I'm the King!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-12-25 03:33:32 »

Thanks Smiley It works quite well this way, glad you enjoy it!

Games in this genre I'm kind of addicted to are the classic Master of Orion (mother of all 4X games), and games like Sins of a Solar Empire. Yesterday I've been looking on Android for something similar, and the closest thing I could find was the cool-looking Auralux. Maybe that's something for you as well?
I'll look into Master of Orion, thanks!

Concerning Auralux, it's only available for Android 3.0+ and certain CPUs Sad

Maybe I can make my own 4X game for Android to fill that empty gap........

Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Complex != complicated

« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-01-22 13:34:33 »

I've just made a wrapper for my Java4K games and compiled it using Excelsior JET, so that people can download and play my 4K games without internet connection, and without the need to have Java installed. Of course, that means the size has increased by a bit Grin It's also a bit of an exercise for me in Java application deployment, and this approach seems to work very nicely.

Download the collection here if you like.

Offline toasten

« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-01-23 22:04:56 »

Is there any way to increase the hitbox-size, as "aiming" gets a little tough in hard mode  Cry
Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Complex != complicated

« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-01-28 20:13:00 »

I've updated the code today, changed some things and fixed a couple of small bugs. Most importantly, the star map is smaller star-wise, but the stars and ships are bigger and there's some nice explosion effects. The performance should also be much better on slower systems as a result of this change.

I'm really happy that some of you like this game  Grin

@toasten: the hitbox is bigger now, which should make the stars easier to hit

Offline forthx

« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-02-06 16:27:49 »

I'm really impressed ! It is the most addictive 4k game I ever play !
Offline StephR

« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-02-09 12:46:06 »

Finally, I took some time to play this game. I liked very much the first version, and this new one seems to be an improvement in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I encountered a freezing bug on restarting the game. It froze once I clicked on the "Go!" button. It happened three times.
Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Complex != complicated

« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-02-11 20:37:51 »

I've updated the game yet again (my wrapper still needs to be updated, please have some patience). The changes:
- 'difficult' level increased in difficulty a bit
- several small bug fixes which may (or may not) have caused the reported crashes
- performance improvements (especially with very large numbers of ships around)

I really hope this helped the bugs you guys encountered. I've play-tested the new version a few times, and did not find any problems so far.

Offline RussS

« Reply #22 - Posted 2013-02-12 01:43:59 »

Fun game, I think it is still difficult to tell whether or not a system is selected. I miss-ordered many of my troops to their demise Sad
Offline bernieberg

Senior Newbie

« Reply #23 - Posted 2013-02-12 16:20:15 »

i finally won on the difficult setting! Great game!  I loved last years version, and this one is even better.

It seems that after I get a lot of ships on the screen (a LOT) the game does not listen to my commands all the time.  I have to select planets and give an order about 3 times before it sticks.  Also, it would be handy if the planets stayed selected, especially when you have giving ONE and HALF orders.  So, you could just a series of commands to the same group of planets without re selecting them.

--
bernie
Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Complex != complicated

« Reply #24 - Posted 2013-02-14 16:04:32 »

Also, it would be handy if the planets stayed selected, especially when you have giving ONE and HALF orders.  So, you could just a series of commands to the same group of planets without re selecting them.

Thanks Grin That is actually a very nice idea. I implemented it right away.

I've also tuned some small things, i.e. stars are a little bit closer together now which should make maps a bit more interesting (as stars may cluster together more).

Offline StephR

« Reply #25 - Posted 2013-02-17 19:16:34 »

It tried it again twice, and the freezing bug I formerly noticed on restarting the game didn't occur again.
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

BurntPizza (19 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (35 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (62 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (87 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (42 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (65 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (47 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (35 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (40 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (36 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org