Games in Android Showcase (89)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (468)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  ignore  |  Print  
  New feature: crackdown on senseless posts  (Read 13674 times)
Online Roquen
« Reply #60 - Posted 2012-12-20 09:49:50 »

I'm an achievement whore and a perfectionist, which is the reason I don't play most games with achievements. Some of them is just silly grinding and my ocd forces me to grind, if there's achievements for it. xD

Though I've never had any urges about ranks on forums. But it is always nice to be recognized for the time and effort you put into helping others. Smiley (Even though, in this forum I think I've gotten more help than given xD)
What I really was referring to is folks that buy and/or rent games they have no interest simply to increase some online achievement count..WTF???  Likewise, why on earth would anyone care about what 'rank' they have on some forum.  Don't get me wrong, positive feedback is a good thing...but don't turn yourself into a rat hitting a lever.
Offline Grunnt

JGO Wizard

Medals: 60
Projects: 8
Exp: 5 years

Complex != complicated

« Reply #61 - Posted 2012-12-20 10:32:03 »

Yay! This is a nice experiment Grin It's quite difficult to manage the quality of an online (mostly anonymous) community, and I think you guys (mostly Riven) are doing a great job!

Offline Cero
« Reply #62 - Posted 2012-12-20 17:43:48 »

@Riven did you intentionally remove the links on the profile page "show latest post by this user" and "threads by this user" ?
I use them frequently

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 613
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #63 - Posted 2012-12-20 18:30:44 »

The links are moved to the [Posts] and [Topics] numbers, in the table.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 322
Projects: 2
Exp: 4 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #64 - Posted 2012-12-20 18:41:43 »

I just noticed that whenever I post using the Quick Reply, the page doesn't jump down to my submitted comment anymore, but stays at the top. Did you change some magic javascript stuffs? Smiley

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #65 - Posted 2012-12-20 19:10:07 »

Nope. persecutioncomplex

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #66 - Posted 2012-12-22 03:08:27 »

Absolutely. I've already made sure that all of my Java4k games are detected, and now I'm wondering what the etiquette is on posting links to games I designed and wrote but don't own. The Showcase FAQ says "anything goes", but the Featured Games FAQ seems to imply that you have to own all the rights.
Feel free to post in Showcase!

why on earth would anyone care about what 'rank' they have on some forum.  Don't get me wrong, positive feedback is a good thing...but don't turn yourself into a rat hitting a lever.
Why not use the skinnerbox concept for community building? It's leads to people helping eachother, I'd dare say, as opposed to those level-grinding, soul consuming MMORPGs.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #67 - Posted 2012-12-28 09:57:31 »

Some people really struggle to understand what kind of posting is not wanted. Some use JGO for posting mainly nonsense. I was afraid when I created the 'chitchat board', that people would see it as the ideal place to post even more crap. So after two days I renamed it 'shameful chitchat' to give yet another hint. Today I spent some time locking the worst chitchat threads, and the authors just continue rambling in the remaining ones. Now people start posting about the fact that they are going to give eachother medals to posts are that about to be deleted. How original.

I track which topics receive the majority of views per day, and it turns out the most useless ones fill the top 10. Apparently some feel like taking advantage of the fact that I don't ban people, but merely give hints. They don't see the recent changes as part of a process which will intensify upon continuing abusive behaviour.

I really don't want to ban anybody over this without a fair warning, so I've put in yet another hint to deter the thick skulled among us: if they continue to abuse JGO as their twitter-feed, their rank will be temporarily reset to 'JGO Dishonorable'. Hover the label to see when it expires.

Now on to making games Smiley persecutioncomplex

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #68 - Posted 2012-12-28 12:36:29 »

Glad to be honored to try it first Grin

persecutioncomplex

And apparently I am not alone Grin

Offline Cero
« Reply #69 - Posted 2012-12-28 12:49:14 »

rank will be temporarily reset to 'JGO Dishonorable'. Hover the label to see when it expires.

Your efforts amuse me ^^
IMO, most trolls will take it with pride, other people will simply not care.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #70 - Posted 2012-12-28 12:50:40 »

JGO has only 1 troll.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #71 - Posted 2012-12-28 12:53:08 »

IMO, most trolls will take it with pride, other people will simply not care.
If you mean me, it's not pride. I was JGO kernel once, and then JGO knight. Once.

I guess I'll try to go away from that thread now. It looks like trap persecutioncomplex

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 70
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #72 - Posted 2012-12-28 12:57:46 »

People should really appreciate that JGO has such nice mods.

Another option to further reduce the 'shameless chitchat' posts is to make them less visible, maybe set it so they don't appear on the front page and recent posts list.

The mass dishing out of medals on the chitchat board is also pretty abusive, maybe just remove the appreciate button on that board.

if they continue to abuse JGO as their twitter-feed, their rank will be temporarily reset to 'JGO Dishonorable'. Hover the label to see when it expires.
Not sure how far a label will go to stop such behaviour but a more harsher punishment is to strip them of their hard earned medals or if you want to get a little more creative let their medal count slowly fall to zero over a period of 3-7 days, so they can watch the medal numbers slowly fall to 0 (unless of course they repent before they are totally out of medals) Smiley
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #73 - Posted 2012-12-28 13:00:05 »

The problem isn't so much a lack of options, but lack of time Smiley

Hacking visibility on the 'unread' and 'recent' listings is rather nasty (the PHP code is.. astounding)

I'm trying to do the minimum, hoping it has the intended effects Pointing
If not, I'll just introduce the temp-ban as a final measure.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #74 - Posted 2012-12-28 13:04:42 »

Not sure how far a label will go to stop such behaviour ... let their medal count slowly fall to zero over a period of 3-7 days, so they can watch the medal numbers slowly fall to 0 (unless of course they repent before they are totally out of medals) Grin
Better see the labeling result first. Don't get me wrong, I was just got carried on. IMO it'll work. Dunno about higher level one like m77...

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 215
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

If it wasn't Awesome, it wasn't me.

« Reply #75 - Posted 2012-12-28 19:58:19 »

Okay, Maybe I did get a bit carried away...

Sorry about the "senseless posts".

I'll try to avoid that board in the future.

EDIT:

Even though it is a bit of humiliation, I couldn't resist posting this:

I have also changed my profile picture until the Dishonourable status wears off, or I might keep it.

Offline Regenuluz
« Reply #76 - Posted 2012-12-30 16:01:14 »

Whoever suggested the chitchat board not showing up in the unread posts, came with an awesome suggestion, imo. Smiley

However, I think that the dishonored rank will work out quite nice!
Offline Sickan

Medals: 8

« Reply #77 - Posted 2012-12-31 13:52:50 »

Whoever suggested the chitchat board not showing up in the unread posts, came with an awesome suggestion, imo. Smiley

However, I think that the dishonored rank will work out quite nice!
Worst case scenario: we'll have a bunch of people with Bethesda-made superhuman assassins for avatars, spraying bad jokes about assassination everywhere.

I'm just here to learn.
Offline heisenbergman

JGO Coder

Medals: 14

L___ o_ G___ a__ P___

« Reply #78 - Posted 2013-06-27 02:16:37 »

I really don't want to ban anybody over this without a fair warning, so I've put in yet another hint to deter the thick skulled among us: if they continue to abuse JGO as their twitter-feed, their rank will be temporarily reset to 'JGO Dishonorable'. Hover the label to see when it expires.

I saw someone's rank get reset to 'JGO Dishonorable' and thus ran a search for 'dishonorable' here on the forums...

...was amused to find this Tongue

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #79 - Posted 2013-06-27 05:33:31 »

And you're next for practicing necro activity on this last year thread.

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

« Reply #80 - Posted 2013-06-27 05:51:28 »

And you're next for practicing necro activity on this last year thread.

To be fair, the last post was on the 31st of December.

And anyway, necro-ing this thread will mean the culprits can see why they are "Dishonourable"

EDIT: Wow, dishonourable until the 30th of September. That's harsh. (but then again, the forum needs to be clean (as much as it can be Smiley))

Offline heisenbergman

JGO Coder

Medals: 14

L___ o_ G___ a__ P___

« Reply #81 - Posted 2013-06-27 06:28:48 »

And anyway, necro-ing this thread will mean the culprits can see why they are "Dishonourable"

Not sure if ReBirth was serious, but yeah, this. Also so that other newbies like me are aware of it.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #82 - Posted 2013-06-27 09:52:54 »

EDIT: Wow, dishonourable until the 30th of September. That's harsh. (but then again, the forum needs to be clean (as much as it can be Smiley))

If I have to clean up six threads then I'm indeed going to take your virtual, totally made up title away for an extended period. Smiley

Offline kpars

JGO Ninja

Medals: 57

\o/ I develop things! \o/

« Reply #83 - Posted 2013-06-27 10:11:37 »

That's perfectly fine. It's a fair punishment for spamming the forums.

I apologize for the spamming, shouldn't happen again.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." ¤ Kemoy Labs: http://www.kemoy.net/ ¤ My Site: http://www.jeviny.pw/
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

« Reply #84 - Posted 2013-06-28 09:17:42 »

@Riven:

Oh, it was perfectly reasonable. I'm not critisizing the decision or the severity of the punishment. I probably would've done the same thing in your place. Smiley
I just wouldn't want to be looked down on as a troll/spammer for some mistake I made 3 months ago.

It also doesn't look good when helping newbies. Cool

Offline Regenuluz
« Reply #85 - Posted 2013-06-28 09:33:44 »

Just the more reason not to be an ass-hat. xD
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

theagentd (6 views)
2014-04-24 23:00:44

xsi3rr4x (83 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (75 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (86 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (69 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (86 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (109 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (169 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (265 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (217 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org