Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (533)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  New feature: crackdown on senseless posts  (Read 14239 times)
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #30 - Posted 2012-12-18 02:08:38 »

@Riven
dunno if this is a one time bug or what

New member with 0/0/0 is kernel...
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 743
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #31 - Posted 2012-12-18 02:09:21 »

I don't quite get the point you're trying to make. Similarly 'annoying kids' will have the same room to 'grow' here too. Nobody is getting banned.

As for 'yawn', it's so dangerous to have negative feedback. People will feel attacked, and as you cannot defend yourself, frustration will build. Others will 'yawn' posts in revenge. It easily creates tension, or even a hostile atmosphere.

Back in the day, when ChrisM roamed the forum, he enabled good & bad karma in SMF. It allowed people to either vote +1 or -1 on a member. It was a mess. People got really upset - partly because karma votes were anonymous, so you could easily screw somebody without any retribution or social control.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #32 - Posted 2012-12-18 02:11:53 »

I don't think we need a yawn option, then the really annoying kids will just yawn everyone. It'll be like people who give out too many medals, but worse, because it's negative.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #33 - Posted 2012-12-18 02:12:02 »

@Riven
dunno if this is a one time bug or what
[...]
New member with 0/0/0 is kernel...
Thanks, fixed it!

Offline SimonH
« Reply #34 - Posted 2012-12-18 02:26:44 »

I don't quite get the point you're trying to make. Similarly 'annoying kids' will have the same room to 'grow' here too. Nobody is getting banned.

As for 'yawn', it's so dangerous to have negative feedback. People will feel attacked. Others will 'yawn' posts in revenge. It easily creates tension, or even a hostile atmosphere.
Sorry, of course nobody's getting banned - I meant to say I would have banned him   Cheesy

I'm not sure that negative feedback is such a bad thing though. On the animation forum the other posters did the job by posting "shut up" posts in reply which often lead to troll wars. My point is that a yawn button doesn't create a new post, so nobody cares. I'm sure most people will only 'yawn' pointless posts - if two kiddies want to yawn each other to death that's fine! Give a medal to the winner!

People make games and games make people
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #35 - Posted 2012-12-18 02:35:02 »

People (can) get really emotional about negative feedback. It (probably) leads to equally bad flamewars as the 'shut up' would trigger.

IMHO, it's best to be gentle and do (in order of increasing annoyance)
  • nothing
  • secretly hide it (JGO currently has a bunch of posts that only the author can see persecutioncomplex)
  • upon repeated offense, move the post to a 'name and shame' thread, which is locked
  • delete the post
  • ban the user for a few weeks, informing them when they are welcome back

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 201

« Reply #36 - Posted 2012-12-18 03:25:39 »

It's a forum, folks.  Lighten up.  None of this is on Your Permanent Record.
Offline Best Username Ever

« Reply #37 - Posted 2012-12-18 05:07:24 »

What about people starting too many threads? I don't want to start fights by telling people they're spamming, but I really think that has gotten bad, too. It's a shame when the signal to noise ratio gets that low on the unread topics page.

Some of the worst kinds of threads, in no particular order:
1) People that don't read the docs for the library they're using
2) Extreme cases of didn't-use-a-search-engine-before-posting
3) How-to questions that are poorly written, aren't Java related, or are very basic.
4) WIP spamming
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

« Reply #38 - Posted 2012-12-18 05:24:04 »

Semi-rhetorical question: what technological fix would you propose for those problems?
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #39 - Posted 2012-12-18 06:01:37 »

Moderation bots. No wait, that would be Terminator over again.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #40 - Posted 2012-12-18 08:22:31 »

TOS was made for that, without considering human's nature to ignore and disobey it Grin

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 342
Projects: 3

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #41 - Posted 2012-12-18 10:47:45 »

It's a forum, folks.  Lighten up.  None of this is on Your Permanent Record.
That's what you think! Google thinks otherwise Smiley

Cas Smiley

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 74
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #42 - Posted 2012-12-18 11:51:05 »

• nothing
  • secretly hide it (JGO currently has a bunch of posts that only the author can see persecutioncomplex)
  • upon repeated offense, move the post to a 'name and shame' thread, which is locked
  • delete the post
Another option is just have a 4chan style sub forum for posting (or moving) senseless posts. Threads automatically get deleted after after a certain amount of time (maybe 24 hours after the last post/reply in a thread). This would allow some senseless discussion (without fear of censorship) while at the same time not messing up the stats or forum.
Offline Cero
« Reply #43 - Posted 2012-12-18 13:32:37 »

• nothing
  • delete the post

In normal forums, isn't that the main job of mods to do exactly that ?
Moving threads, merging threads, complaining, moderating posts... you know...

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #44 - Posted 2012-12-18 13:39:00 »

• nothing
  • delete the post
Another option is just have a 4chan style sub forum for posting (or moving) senseless posts. They automatically get deleted after after a certain amount of time (maybe 24 hours after the last post/reply in a thread). This would allow senseless discussion while at the same time not messing up the stats or forum.

I think that is a good idea. People will refrain from posting stupid stuff when they realize their posts are being moved to the "Shamefully Senseless" section.

And I could also feel powerful by using my moderators powers for something  Cool

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #45 - Posted 2012-12-18 14:37:56 »

• nothing
  • delete the post

Again, I don't get the point you are trying to make.

The rate at which the 'annoyance-scale' maps to one of the actions, is the difference between 'gentle' and 'harsh' moderation.

Offline Cero
« Reply #46 - Posted 2012-12-18 17:46:58 »

• nothing
  • delete the post

Again, I don't get the point you are trying to make.

The rate at which the 'annoyance-scale' maps to one of the actions, is the difference between 'gentle' and 'harsh' moderation.

Well, my point is harsh moderation is common, and it works... all this medal/rank/karma/whatever code seems unnecessary if you'd just have mods doing what mods are supposed to do.
Maybe I'm secretly complaining that m77 was never banned and instead there more ranks and medals and whatnot. I just like the traditional approach in forums: date of joining, number of posts, name, avatar, thats it - the rest is mod-work

MarkusP and ChrisM would not have a "high" rank using this system. Thats why I think "since when has this person be here" is more important than being a "JGO Knight"

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #47 - Posted 2012-12-18 17:50:47 »

MarkusP and ChrisM would not have a "high" rank using this system.
They would have, except that they left before medals were introduced.

Offline Best Username Ever

« Reply #48 - Posted 2012-12-18 18:30:18 »

Semi-rhetorical question: what technological fix would you propose for those problems?

I am either oblivious of whatever point you were trying to make or you really meant hypothetical question. Clueless
<joke>Well, there was a guy that once used YouTube comments to train a spam filter to act as a "stupid filter." Maybe Riven could do the same with StackOverflow questions?</joke>

I don't really think technological fixes alone are ideal. There should be a rule and it should be enforced by human moderators. Forums often have permission settings you can change per group/per person. Posting in existing topics and posting new topics are usually separate permissions, so there is a mechanism to enforce it.

Something that could go a long way is to look at the ratio of a person's new-post-count to new-topic-count. Then you can take some action, like sending them a warning, blocking them from creating a new topic, or putting them on a moderation queue like you would do for new members in a board with lots of serious spammers. It could be made fairly unobtrusive. Here is Java-like pseudocode:

if(member.topicCount() - 1 > member.postCount() / 10 && member.medalCount() < 3)
{
  if(!giveOneWarning || member.hasReceivedWarning())
  {
    member.postsGoToModerationQueue = true;
  }
  sendPrivateMessage(member, "You're creating too many threads. It's impolite to spam new topics.");
  member.setWarningsReceived(member.getWarningsReceived() + 1);
}
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

« Reply #49 - Posted 2012-12-18 19:22:32 »

Another possible approach, and I know it's out of fashion, is use human judgement rather than automated nagging.

(I meant rhetorical question. as in I'm actually claiming there is no fix.  "Semi"-rhetorical because I could always be surprised by a clever solution.) 

The simple fact is, when it comes to this board, there simply isn't a real problem to speak of, thanks in no small part to Riven's efforts.
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #50 - Posted 2012-12-18 20:49:44 »

Another option is just have a 4chan style sub forum for posting (or moving) senseless posts. Threads automatically get deleted after after a certain amount of time (maybe 24 hours after the last post/reply in a thread). This would allow some senseless discussion (without fear of censorship) while at the same time not messing up the stats or forum.
Done! Smiley The board has a retention time of 3 days.

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 74
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #51 - Posted 2012-12-18 21:45:06 »

Quote from: Riven
Done! Smiley The board has a retention time of 3 days.
oh, nice  Smiley
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #52 - Posted 2012-12-19 05:18:53 »

Yes! senseless thread! now I can ask java related question without account on other forum! if i'm not ignored ofc...  Emo

Wait, anyone experience lost medals? Shocked

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #53 - Posted 2012-12-19 05:28:53 »

Wait, anyone experience lost medals? Shocked
You didn't lose medals.Previously there was SMF karma (labeled 'medals') and actual medals (person A appreciates post B of person C). These two values grew out of sync - I had >400 karma but only >300 medals. Now SMF karma is synced with actual medals, making it much less confusing at the cost of a few lost karma points.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #54 - Posted 2012-12-19 05:35:30 »

Oh ok thanks for the explanation.

Offline Roquen
« Reply #55 - Posted 2012-12-19 16:20:11 »

What I really want as a title is: "I used the big potty!".  Never have grokked the achievement culture thing.
Offline Regenuluz
« Reply #56 - Posted 2012-12-19 21:33:24 »

I'm an achievement whore and a perfectionist, which is the reason I don't play most games with achievements. Some of them is just silly grinding and my ocd forces me to grind, if there's achievements for it. xD

Though I've never had any urges about ranks on forums. But it is always nice to be recognized for the time and effort you put into helping others. Smiley (Even though, in this forum I think I've gotten more help than given xD)
Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 238
Projects: 11
Exp: 2 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #57 - Posted 2012-12-20 03:41:59 »

...to become more 'senior', so they spam senseless comments...

Time to spam games...  Grin

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #58 - Posted 2012-12-20 04:06:43 »

...to become more 'senior', so they spam senseless comments...

Let's do something lower, for example work together to give medals to each others Grin

Offline pjt33
« Reply #59 - Posted 2012-12-20 08:47:54 »

Absolutely. I've already made sure that all of my Java4k games are detected, and now I'm wondering what the etiquette is on posting links to games I designed and wrote but don't own. The Showcase FAQ says "anything goes", but the Featured Games FAQ seems to imply that you have to own all the rights.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (25 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (25 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (19 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (22 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (51 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (46 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (37 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (40 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (56 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (55 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org