Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (601)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Android RPG with no name  (Read 8362 times)
Offline EgonOlsen
« Posted 2012-12-10 23:14:36 »

I'm working on this one (on and off) since december 2011. There isn't much real game play ATM, which is why there isn't any downloadable demo yet. However, i can show some random screen shot and a video. It's supposed to be somehow similar to the Elder Scrolls series in gameplay...but simplified to work well on touch devices.

I'm still undecided about combat. I wanted real time combat first, but i'm not so sure now, because a turn based combat might be better on a touch device. Any opinions on that topic would be greatly appreciated!

Anyway, here's a screen shot...

And here's the latest video...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oew62wECxqY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/oew62wECxqY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Online Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 139
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-12-11 00:29:46 »

Wow, this looks cool...3D, textured and an RPG! Looks like Oblivion in mobile, like you said.
I'll be very interested to see how you implement the controls...
Offline Thesisus

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-12-11 05:12:20 »

Impressive!  Good stuff.  Definitely keep us posted on it's progress.  I understand the problem however with combat interaction on a mobile device.  I don't know how old you are but "back in the day" controllers were simple, much like the mobile devices of today.  I'd recommend doing what we did then and combine a series of movements in one or two clicks.  It does remove some interaction with the end user but if done correctly can be quite rewarding.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-12-11 06:41:17 »

I don't know how old you are but "back in the day" controllers were simple, much like the mobile devices of today.  I'd recommend doing what we did then and combine a series of movements in one or two clicks.  It does remove some interaction with the end user but if done correctly can be quite rewarding.
41...so i've seen much concerning gaming and controls... Wink Thanks for your idea. It reminds me a little bit of the controls in The Witcher and it's an interesting idea, which i will take into consideration.

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-12-11 11:26:39 »

Very cool. I never saw any loading pauses as you wandered the world (unless I missed them).

I think a simple diablo style click-to-kill  combat system would be good.
Or maybe the camera could zoom out to a top down view and then you could more easily control where the player should move.

What feature took the longest time to program?

Offline PeterNicholson

Senior Devvie

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-12-11 11:29:20 »

This game looks very cool. When will it be avabile on Google Play?  Smiley

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://youtube.com/javaprogrammerguy
Offline Sparky83

Senior Devvie

Medals: 6

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-12-11 11:46:22 »

As I am still new to this type of game programming (used tools like RPGMaker2000 in the past) and still try to dig my way to the core of 3D game programming, I am really fascinated by your game. It looks really impressive! It doesn't look like one of those typical "selfmade" games.
Offline arttu

Senior Devvie

Medals: 3

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-12-11 13:00:45 »

This is very impressive. Hopefully you'll manage to make the gameplay enjoyable and support gamepads.
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 114
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-12-11 15:12:31 »

Very impressive.
But please - even if it's for mobile devices - don't make it turn-based. Turn based is actually okey, but not for this type of games. Not in an Elder-Scrolls like game.

I agree with CommanderKeith, Add a button for an attack. where the player does some swings and then jumps a step back again. That'd reduce the gameplay difficulty hopefully. But most important: Let the player be able to walk at any moment.

And will this also come to desktop? That would be cool, even if I have a mobile device, it's somehow more relaxing to play on the pc and it's also easier, since you have to lay down your phone somewhere, else you've only got one hand for touch.

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline Apo
« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-12-11 15:21:57 »

Looks really great.

I don't know if a real time combat system is good for small mobile devices. I don't like the stress to touch on the right position without any haptic feedback. IMHO I would prefer a turn based system.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-12-11 20:28:59 »

Very cool. I never saw any loading pauses as you wandered the world (unless I missed them).
If there were any, i would have edited them for the video... Wink But as long as you move around in the wilderness, there are no loading pauses anyway. If you enter a dungeon, it loads some data and shows a simple loading screen for a few seconds.

Or maybe the camera could zoom out to a top down view and then you could more easily control where the player should move.
I'm trying to avoid showing the player's character, because i don't have one to keep things simple. So this isn't really an option.

What feature took the longest time to program?
...hard to tell. Leaving aside the 3d engine itself, maybe the grass patches. It actually didn't take that long to implement them, but it took me some time to figure out how to do it efficiently. All my ideas either consumed too much memory, too much cpu or both. Then suddenly i had this inspiration and implemented it in maybe two hours.

This game looks very cool. When will it be avabile on Google Play?
I've really no idea. There's no real game play in it ATM. You can run around, pick some flowers and drop and collect items...there's no combat, no quest system... I'm hoping to have something playable within 2013.

This is very impressive. Hopefully you'll manage to make the gameplay enjoyable and support gamepads.
Gamepads...i never thought about it. I'll consider it though. Concerning game play...i hope so, too. I've some ideas, i have some books on that topic and this is my second rpg (the former one was for the Amiga 20 years ago...), so i hope to be able to pull it off.

Turn based is actually okey, but not for this type of games. Not in an Elder-Scrolls like game.
That's what i thought initially, but then i tried some rpg and rpg like games on mobile devices and just didn't like the controls at all. Well, we'll see....i guess i have to try some things to see what works best.

And will this also come to desktop?
Maybe. I'm using a desktop version for faster development, but it lacks some features (like sound) and my main focus is on the mobile version. Making a real desktop version would allow for increased detail though:

Online Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 139
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-12-11 22:00:07 »

The main problem with mobile 3D games is that usually you drag on the left to move and on the right to look, but then how do you look and shoot? Too bad there's no trigger like there is on a controller.
Offline doos

Senior Devvie

Medals: 2
Projects: 2

Here be random

« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-01-01 20:09:59 »

If you are looking for control ideas, Delver is my favorite game for android as it is a first-person dungeon crawler (slightly similar gameplay) and has a very nicely done control system for combat, with melee being a simple click per hit, and the distance combat being more target-based.. Hope to see more progress on this game, though!
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-01-01 20:36:14 »

Thanks for pointing me to it. I just bought it and will have a look...

Offline LunaticEdit

Senior Devvie

Medals: 8

« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-01-01 20:39:37 »

You could make the bottom left corner carry the 'run' and 'attack' buttons, and make the character walk towards wherever they press their finger on the screen. Run button could toggle between /look/walk/run or whatever. quick tap on the screen would also count as an attack or interacting with an object (as it is now). Just a few ideas, but looks great so far!

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-01-04 23:39:52 »

Delver is my favorite game for android as it is a first-person dungeon crawler (slightly similar gameplay) and has a very nicely done control system for combat, with melee being a simple click per hit, and the distance combat being more target-based..
Delver is a pretty good game (albeit i usually don't like the pixelated, minecrafty look...but i love the soundtrack) and i played it for quite some time. Regarding the controls, i still don't really like how it handles ranged combat. Hitting something with a wand/bow is pretty difficult sometimes. Some kind of auto-aiming would be nice, but then it would suffer from the same problem that mine would: Auto-aiming is fine for projectiles that you don't see like bullets. It's crap for arrows especially if the bow that fires them isn't flat and pixelated. You either have to make the bow auto-aim too (which might look pretty strange) or make the arrow fly in a different direction than one would expect. Well, we'll see...

Offline pitbuller
« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-01-04 23:54:16 »

Nice progress. Foliage look really good.

How is the performance? If there is any left try add some form of shadows. New devices should handle hardware pcf filtered shadow maps really well.(at lest on iOs side of world).
Is there any kind of lighting?
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

I'm tired of working for someone else.

« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-01-05 01:35:01 »

Looks amazing! I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this.

-Scott

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-01-05 08:03:45 »

How is the performance? If there is any left try add some form of shadows. New devices should handle hardware pcf filtered shadow maps really well.(at lest on iOs side of world).
Is there any kind of lighting?
Performance is between 15 and 50 fps on a Nexus S, 33 and 60 fps on a Nexus 7 and 35 and 60 fps on a Galaxy Note. I'm not going to add shadow mapping anytime soon, because i want to focus on the game instead.
Lighting in outdoor scenes is simple vertex lighting (had per pixel lighting once, but it was much slower and didn't look that much better). In the dungeon, it's parallax mapping used for the first light source (which is the player) and vertex lighting for the torches.

Offline ML-Deluxe

Senior Newbie

Medals: 1

« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-01-05 15:48:48 »

Looks very nice, thought about releasing it for Ouya as primary plattform? Basing your controls on a gamepad might give you more possibilities on how to make input or combat system.
Offline doos

Senior Devvie

Here be random

« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-01-06 11:51:45 »

Yeah, homing missiles arent really a good simulation for bows.

Gears of war 2 had one of the best in-game bows imo.. You would hold down the fire button and the bow would tension, giving a prediction of the arc of the arrow. You would then release the bow when the path intersected the target. I've been thinking for a while that a ghostly prediction would be a good ranger spell or something. Oblivion and skyrim both have similar methods though you are dependent on waiting for the draw.

One thing which might be interesting would be a slider on the right hand side that acts a little like a pinball machine.. If you drag the slider down towards you and let go.. That would be equivalent to tensioning the string and releasing. You can also leave the bow tensioned at a point if you are waiting to shoot.

Golf games have a variety of power-related controls you might prefer more. Mario golf has a power slider and the power meter moves between weak and powerful (which would likely be very frustrating!)

For melee I was always a fan of the daggerfall drag mouse to drag sword in a direction, though dont know whether that would be as good on a tablet as it might get in the way of the moving controls during a fight.
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-01-13 20:23:34 »

...Delver is my favorite game for android as it is a first-person dungeon crawler (slightly similar gameplay) and has a very nicely done control system for combat...
I'm actually not really sure about the combat system, but the general movement (especially turning) in Delver is very good, very smooth and direct. Much better than what i had (and i already thought that mine wasn't that bad, at least when compared to others), so i took some time and reworked my controls to come close to Delver's. My game's controls are much improved now, thanks again for mentioning Delver here... Grin

Apart from that, i added map markers and a basic inventory gui for chests:

Offline Apo
« Reply #22 - Posted 2013-01-13 20:25:35 »

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Looks really nice and professional!
Can't wait to try it.
Offline doos

Senior Devvie

Here be random

« Reply #23 - Posted 2013-01-19 19:28:22 »

Here be loot! Smiley
Offline kevglass

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 212
Projects: 24
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #24 - Posted 2013-05-13 09:19:57 »

There is something very comforting about the graphical style of this one Smiley

Cheers,

Kev

Offline phu004

JGO Coder

Medals: 4
Projects: 9
Exp: 10 years

NoSuchPersonException

« Reply #25 - Posted 2013-05-23 10:56:56 »

Performance is between 15 and 50 fps on a Nexus S, 33 and 60 fps on a Nexus 7 and 35 and 60 fps on a Galaxy Note. I'm not going to add shadow mapping anytime soon, because i want to focus on the game instead.
Lighting in outdoor scenes is simple vertex lighting (had per pixel lighting once, but it was much slower and didn't look that much better). In the dungeon, it's parallax mapping used for the first light source (which is the player) and vertex lighting for the torches.

I am just curious, how would a modern smart phone compare with pcs in terms of hardware performance? Will the Galaxy Note out perform a 1Ghz Pentium 3 equipped with Geforce 256?

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #26 - Posted 2013-05-23 12:13:31 »

I am just curious, how would a modern smart phone compare with pcs in terms of hardware performance? Will the Galaxy Note out perform a 1Ghz Pentium 3 equipped with Geforce 256?
Definitely. The Note's Mali 400MP GPU has more than twice the fillrate and polygon throughput and a more advanced feature set than a Geforce 256 DDR. The Note's single thread cpu performance per clock is a bit lower than that of a Pentium III, but since it's clocked at 1.4Ghz, it's still faster. Plus you have 2 cores compared to one on the Pentium.

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #27 - Posted 2013-05-30 20:41:26 »

A little status update:

There's a basic dialog system and gui now. Dialogs can branch, start and end quests as well as take away and give items. The dialog shown in the screen shot is just dummy text, it has nothing to do with the actual game.

There's a quest book. You can flip pages by dragging on screen.

Enemies have basic attack AI now. If you attack from a distance or come too close, they are going after you. If they reach you, they'll start an attack. However, there's still no impact on the player's health nor does your counter attacks will weaken the enemy.

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #28 - Posted 2013-06-29 17:21:07 »

I've updated the first post to include a new and improved demo video that shows some of the new features.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (30 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (20 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (42 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (76 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (37 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (51 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (48 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (115 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (103 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (30 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org