News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Linux and Dev?  (Read 4696 times)
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #30 - Posted 2012-12-10 11:28:56 »

@nsigma
Guess I just need to use it without thinking to much Grin One app attracts me is ApTonCD, seems I can build my own customized Mint disc.

Offline gouessej
« Reply #31 - Posted 2012-12-10 11:50:04 »

Hi

Anyone here use Linux OS only (no dual boot) as main system? I'm planning to completely use only Linux *.
I use Mageia Linux 2. Microsoft Windows drives me sick (really), I try to stay as far from it as possible. Some of my (ex-)girlfriends and some friends use Lubuntu and Ubuntu, my stepmother uses Mageia Linux 2 too.

I know Eclipse will run well but how about the JDK? I have heard hiccup about Oracle's and OpenJDK and IceTea but I don't really understand.
Eclipse runs well, JDK runs well, no hiccups dunno... IcedTea is a problem though... Getting browser java to work and stuff Smiley But I don't like Applets and Webstart anyways Wink (Sorry gouessej)
Icedtea works very well but Icedtea-web is often not installed by default which causes some confusion because the end users expect Java from working fine out of the box and some maintainers don't know that Icedtea and Icedtea-web are separate projects. Icedtea-web Web Start (inspired of NetX) works reliably and even better than Oracle Java Web Start, you can see the detail of all JARs being downloaded. However, JNLP is not yet fully supported in applets. There is no Java Sound Audio Engine in OpenJDK 1.7, using a simple software mixer based on JavaSound or using OpenAL or OpenALSoft (through JOAL or LWJGL) is almost mandatory. Some fonts are badly displayed, there are a few minor problems with OpenJDK. You'll need to use my source code to create desktop shortcuts under KDE, the existing feature of Java Web Start only works under GNOME.

However OpenJDK (with IcedTea-Web) which mostly comes bundled on distro's is still a little flaky.
I advise you to look at this.

Fedora, Ubuntu, SuSE, Arch, and Mint all use LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice.  Mandriva was the lone holdout for a while, but they switched last year.

Mandriva is almost dead, Mageia Linux is more actively supported.

it is easier to install the oracle JVM with RPM based distros (Fedora, Red Hat, OpenSUSE), but here is a great tutorial for installing any java version on a deb system (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint)

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java
In my humble opinion, we should rather use OpenJDK, Icedtea and Icedtea-web. I encourage everyone here to contribute. OpenJDK and Oracle JDK share most of the source code. I don't really see the interest of installing Oracle JDK under GNU Linux except to use features not yet available in OpenJDK. I'm under GNU Linux for political reasons and I try to prioritize free open source softwares as much as possible. You're a developer; if you think like a typical Windows user who doesn't want to take back the control on a device he uses daily to share personal data, maybe consider staying under Windows rather than importing a "Windowsian" mentality in GNU Linux ecosystem.

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #32 - Posted 2012-12-10 12:26:22 »

I got office 2012(?) running perfectly under ubuntu with wine(without any  extra configuration), so no excuse there^^

That's pretty amazing, I always thought WINE was a linux distribution, not a program that can be run on any linux distro. I will give it a try! thanks.

Something that I just found out is that in a dual-boot setup, it's possible to use files in the windows partition from the linux partition, but not the other way around... I'm yet to try it, but that would really make linux a much more feasible option. Source: http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/76176.html

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #33 - Posted 2012-12-10 12:29:57 »

@gouessej
Thanks for the hit! yeah I agree with the JDK part. Although I use Oracle's one for now, I want to know more about OpenJDK.

All apps almost set, except F.lux and good twitter client Wink

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #34 - Posted 2012-12-10 17:37:18 »

Defragmentation isn't totally superfluous on linux systems, but it is largely unnecessary because of Linux's allocation strategy, which is to use large gaps between files that it fills as they grow.  It does tend to spread across the disk more, which can result in longer seek times between files, but overall it works out fine.  If you get over 90% or so full and stay that way over lots of writes, then fragmentation can start to be noticeable.  For that, there is an ext4defrag available from the same people who developed the ext4 filesystem.

Once we're all running on SSDs, then this defragging business will be a distant memory.
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 114
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #35 - Posted 2012-12-10 17:42:30 »

Something that I just found out is that in a dual-boot setup, it's possible to use files in the windows partition from the linux partition, but not the other way around... I'm yet to try it, but that would really make linux a much more feasible option. Source: http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/76176.html

Yes. Currently I run ArchLinux and Windows XP with dual boot, and I confirm: I'm able to access files from windows, but not the other way around.

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline Cero
« Reply #36 - Posted 2012-12-10 20:03:10 »

With everything valve is doing right now, I would love to see a Valve Linux distro... even if its just a small modification from an existing one

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (33 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (24 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (51 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (84 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (46 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (60 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (61 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (124 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (114 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (32 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org