games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Linux and Dev?  (Read 4641 times)
Offline ReBirth
« Posted 2012-12-07 14:27:40 »

Anyone here use Linux OS only (no dual boot) as main system? I'm planning to completely use only Linux *.

I know Eclipse will run well but how about the JDK? I have heard hiccup about Oracle's and OpenJDK and IceTea but I don't really understand.

*) as I can find well driver for my AMD machine.

edit: please mention your linux distro too.

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 113
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-12-07 14:31:14 »

Anyone here use Linux OS only (no dual boot) as main system? I'm planning to completely use only Linux *.
I have dual boot, but I very rarely use Windows XP Wink

I know Eclipse will run well but how about the JDK? I have heard hiccup about Oracle's and OpenJDK and IceTea but I don't really understand.
Eclipse runs well, JDK runs well, no hiccups dunno... IcedTea is a problem though... Getting browser java to work and stuff Smiley But I don't like Applets and Webstart anyways Wink (Sorry gouessej)

*) as I can find well driver for my AMD machine.
Uhmm... phew... I wish you good luck...  Undecided

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-12-07 14:32:39 »

Problem with applet? weuh sometimes I need applet too. What kind of linux do you use? I'm planning for Mint.

There are 2 kind of drivers that I need to verify first,
1) Functional drivers. It's a laptop, with lot of custom hotkeys. My bundled driver set is for windows only.
2) Machine drivers. I have an E450, both CPU and graphics are AMD's. I have read somewhere that the official drivers for linux is bad.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-12-07 14:36:42 »

Problem with applet? weuh sometimes I need applet too. What kind of linux do you use? I'm planning for Mint.

I'm using ArchLinux here. And no, there are actually no big problems with applets, but you need to get it working. Usually there are many guides out there for any distro. If you're completely overwhelmed, then I guess gouessej could help you...

See my:
Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 78
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-12-07 14:45:42 »

Linux works fine for Java development, so do Eclipse and Oracle Java 7 (except having to manually install it from Oracle site as Oracle have banned distro's from including it in their own repositories for some reason).

Applets work fine with Oracle JDK. However OpenJDK (with IcedTea-Web) which mostly comes bundled on distro's is still a little flaky.

Distro: OpenSUSE 12.2 + KDE4

Its a really nice time to dev on Linux, as it 'just works' for desktop use and the OS stays out of your way. Also one of the main reasons to dual boot (games) is less of an issue now as there are tons of games for the platform, Wine compatibility is really good and Steam is available.
Offline Groboclown
« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-12-07 14:56:07 »

I've been using Gentoo Linux as my main box for several years now without any major problems in regard to keeping it in working order.  I'm able to get the applets to work in browser (both with Chromium and Firefox).  As others posted, Eclipse works without issues.  Of course, having the POSIX tool chains available at the command-line helps my productivity, too.

I keep my Windows XP machine for games and ensuring that code I write is cross-platform compatible.  There's a few minor things that can be different between the two on a Java app.

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-12-07 15:04:19 »

1) Functional drivers. It's a laptop, with lot of custom hotkeys. My bundled driver set is for windows only.
2) Machine drivers. I have an E450, both CPU and graphics are AMD's. I have read somewhere that the official drivers for linux is bad.

Ninja editing there Wink
Sorry, but... beware:
I've had experience with AMD boards. I was once going to buy one of the newer AMD's, but I've already heard there were problems with Linux and AMD... So I tried out my farther's old AMD and installing the AMD drivers. Everything worked at the first try... problem was the speed. It was almost as fast as the standard windows XP "drivers", when you haven't installed the drivers on windows yet Wink

So yeah... AMD / ATI is probably a problem. But an AMD cpu is not too bad, afaik.

See my:
Offline Danny02
« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-12-07 15:11:08 »

I have fedora running on my laptop and Win7 on my desktop. I think linux is a better dev enviorment the win, I can get stuff done alot quicker(although I'm using linux just for a year).

I'm still using win on my other sys only because I'm to lazy to reinstall everything and, because I want also to play some AAA games

Also one of the main reasons to dual boot (games) is less of an issue now as there are tons of games for the platform, Wine compatibility is really good and Steam is available.

yeah, just got my invite, installing Steam tonight^^
Offline Cero
« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-12-07 15:15:18 »

I think Mint is an excellent choice, my favorite since Ubuntu used Unity

ATI / AMD GPU drivers are... a pain
I switched to NVidia only because of Linux support

Other than that no problems, never really tested applets & webstarts in linux, just desktop stuff

Offline nsigma
« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-12-07 16:01:41 »

I think Mint is an excellent choice, my favorite since Ubuntu used Unity

Ubuntu 12.04 here.  Unity is a beautiful desktop for development - just keeps out of the way and text search is excellent.  I used Mint for years, but find it incoherent in comparison, and don't get me started on their approach to LTS - a number of bugs in the previous Mint LTS software that were never fixed.

If you go Ubuntu or derivative, my advice is stick to LTS releases for development.

ATI / AMD GPU drivers are... a pain
I switched to NVidia only because of Linux support

Never had much issue with AMD graphics - never owned NVidia so maybe I'm missing nirvana!  Smiley

I use NetBeans with OpenJDK.  Not had any problems with OpenJDK for years, and if you go for 7 you shouldn't have much issue - OpenJDK is the reference implementation after all.  Don't use applets much or webstart so not sure what the support is like - the sooner applets die out the better anyway!  Wink

Praxis LIVE - open-source intermedia toolkit and live interactive visual editor
Digital Prisoners - interactive spaces and projections
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-12-07 16:46:32 »

I couldn't stand Ubuntu's Unity when it first came out, but as of 12.10 it seems to be actually usable.  Unfortunately it's not usable in Virtualbox -- 12.10 doesn't support the VBox 3d accelerator, so it uses the dreadfully slow llvmpipe, and if you do force enable the driver, it crashes virtualbox.

It seems to be a little better in VMWare player, though I don't know if it's using the 3d support there either.  I'm also not a fan of the player's many annoyances like lack of snapshots, a toolbar that doesn't go away without editing the .vmx file by hand, lack of support for >3 mouse buttons without again editing the .vmx file, etc.  But at least it works.

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 300
Projects: 11
Exp: 3 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-12-07 18:12:17 »

I'm using Linux Mint with a Lenovo Thinkpad E520 and virtually everything just works (except horizontal scrolling and any 'special' keys (my e520 has a calculator, explorer, and search keys which only work on windows))
I still dual boot because of gaming and Paint.NET (because I require absolute control over the pixels and do lots of messing around with the alpha channel to add precise shadows/color changes) but other than that, I use Linux.
It boots quicker than Win7.
Eclipse works. And OpenJDK seems to only launch my game when I run it from the command line (some error finding LWJGL.jar. The strange thing is I don't even have to put the classpath as an argument. It just finds it properly with java -jar "name".

Anyway, when you boot with the Linux Mint installation DVD, you can actually test most of the hardware in the 'sandbox' version before actually installing it to your Hard Drive (if you haven't read the install guide, it boots the OS from the DVD so nothing is installed, and you can mess around with whatever is on the basic installation and test the internet etc.)
And if it doesn't work, don't install (or find the solution as firefox is available at that point)

Offline Cero
« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-12-07 23:10:10 »

Well I could never "work" on Linux until the Adobe Suite was released on Linux.
All my video, audio and image editing happens there (I do use Sony Vegas, which of course has no Linux port either, but I can use Adobe Premiere easily)
Thats really the main thing for my thats holding me back aside from games.

Offline Geemili

Senior Devvie

Medals: 9
Projects: 1
Exp: 2 years

No Games Finished

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-12-08 00:05:55 »

I use ubuntu with no dual boot. It works fine for the games I want to play (minecraft), and any other games I can go without.

As a development environment, I haven't seen any hiccups.

I did have to follow a bunch of tutorials to get applets working though, :/. It took a few more to get the applet console up.
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-12-08 05:13:46 »

Thanks for the posts! Seems Eclipse and JDK work well on linux. I just need to test the Catalyst. What I concern from graphic driver is I need to play 1080p movie flawlessly. That's all.

I just grabbed Android SDK bundle for linux which includes Eclipse 3.8. I also grabbed Ubuntu 12.10 and Mint 14. I'll try with Mint first.

One more question, is it possible to use linux without much internet connection? I grabbed lots of tar and deb for offline install, but afraid hitting dependency problem.

Offline Agro
« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-12-08 05:51:40 »

I use Ubuntu and Arch, and its pro.

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-12-08 06:22:30 »

I heard Arch is quite hard to use ^^;

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 300
Projects: 11
Exp: 3 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-12-08 07:40:25 »

It's hard to setup. (Or so I've heard)
After that it is supposed to be the same as other distros.

The only reason I didn't choose Arch was that I wanted to get used to Linux first (and I'm too lazy to leave Mint)

Offline CommanderKeith
« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-12-08 07:48:23 »

I also couldn't use it for work since ms excel is missing. Star office / libre office etc just aren't the same. I wish they would use exactly the same keyboard shortcuts and have the same menus and names but they don't.
I use dual boot ubuntu, but I'm looking for a desktop that beats unity since I hate the vertical left aligned task bar.

Offline Danny02
« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-12-08 08:58:35 »

I got office 2012(?) running perfectly under ubuntu with wine(without any  extra configuration), so no excuse there^^
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-12-08 11:55:02 »

I have been using OpenOffice for long time, almost 4 years Smiley

For wine I may need to run official evernote.

Offline zngga
« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-12-08 15:13:49 »

I have been using various Linux Distros as my main system for years now. When I saw this post, and your mention of the AMD graphics card I feel I must give some advice.

AMD and Linux go together like balloons and tacks... I have an AMD HD Mobility 4200 discrete graphics card in my laptop (primary computer) and finding stable drivers for it has been a nightmare! ATI/AMD have dropped support for this card, as it has been fully optometry (their words) and only release patches for there old driver. This older driver only officially supports Linux Kernel version 3.4.x.x and Xorg 6.9 (I hope you know what both of those are) So to use their driver you have to keep your system honorably out of date. (Current Kernel version is 3.6, and Xorg is 11) or use a rebuilt driver for your kernel version. Which is kinda unstable. I will say from experience that, for AMD cards, Ubuntu and Linux Mint are the only major distros that the AMD driver will work with. Fedora and OpenSUSE are completely out.

I would check what card you have and look around to make sure it works on the Linux distro your thinking of installing. I wish you more luck than I had.

I currently use Linux Mint 13 Maya, and I have the AMD 12.6 Legacy Driver working. I don't know if I am daring enough to upgrade to Mint 14 yet...

My code never has bugs... it just develops unexpected features!
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-12-08 15:24:40 »

The graphics is 6320 (APU E-450) of Asus 1215B. I want to try Mint 14 and the AMD driver is 12.10 (here). My meet is running 720p MKV flawlessly for now.

In case something failed, I would go back to my old first release Win 7 disc Smiley

Offline Agro
« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-12-08 19:40:20 »

When I installed arch, it was all command line, now there is a GUI based thing.

Offline zngga
« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-12-09 04:08:02 »

it is easier to install the oracle JVM with RPM based distros (Fedora, Red Hat, OpenSUSE), but here is a great tutorial for installing any java version on a deb system (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint)

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java

My code never has bugs... it just develops unexpected features!
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-12-10 02:37:46 »

== this post is brought to you with Linux Mint 14 Grin ==

Fiuh, after one full day struggling for all problems, finally I can see a full working OS, and successful import projects from old partition to new Eclipse (ADT Bundle). It was not easy, ATI driver didn't work at first and the sound quality is (still) poor. The sound is clear, but peak on higher volume. Maybe only the official driver who could solve this. But I was surprised with the plus, it recognizes almost all of my hotkeys, USB dongle modem (although the speed seems slower), and blazing fast speed! Mint 14 is far faster than Win 7!

I installed it twice. I encountered weird bug at first. After first restart, only blank screen appeared with no end. I thought the bundled graphic driver is enough, because it automatically detected my biggest resolution and apply it. Then I reinstalled it but made little change. I installed ATI driver straightly before any restart and fixed. However current stable driver is not support wide screen! So I installed the beta one on top of it (without removing the stable one) and solved.

The packages are also very complete. Unfortunately they picked LibreOffice over OpenOffice but that's okay. However there is not defragment app. The rest are fine.

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-12-10 02:43:17 »

Fedora, Ubuntu, SuSE, Arch, and Mint all use LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice.  Mandriva was the lone holdout for a while, but they switched last year.
Offline nsigma
« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-12-10 10:57:35 »

... and blazing fast speed! Mint 14 is far faster than Win 7!

It's great how much better Linux performs than Win 7 on the same hardware.  The odd occasion I have to boot Win 7 for testing purposes it's like trying to run through treacle!  Grin

Unfortunately they picked LibreOffice over OpenOffice but that's okay.

LibreOffice is OpenOffice with more features and less bugs.  What's the problem?

However there is not defragment app.

You mean for the filesystem?  Not necessary!  This is a modern system.  Wink

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-12-10 11:04:56 »

LibreOffice is OpenOffice with more features and less bugs.  What's the problem?
I have used OpenOffice over 4 years Pointing but right now I'm not bothered to remove Libre, let's try it.

Like auto-defrag system? how about junk files? Linux seems creating lot of scripts everywhere.

Offline nsigma
« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-12-10 11:26:10 »

I have used OpenOffice over 4 years Pointing but right now I'm not bothered to remove Libre, let's try it.

Huh, why the hell would you remove it?  It is what you are looking for - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libreoffice

Like auto-defrag system? how about junk files? Linux seems creating lot of scripts everywhere.

Pretty much.  What do you mean by junk files?  Linux's scripts are hardly junk, and rather essential!  Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

toopeicgaming1999 (73 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (63 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (15 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08

SHC (29 views)
2014-11-25 12:00:59

SHC (27 views)
2014-11-25 11:53:45

Norakomi (32 views)
2014-11-25 11:26:43

Gibbo3771 (27 views)
2014-11-24 19:59:16

trollwarrior1 (40 views)
2014-11-22 12:13:56

xFryIx (78 views)
2014-11-13 12:34:49

digdugdiggy (57 views)
2014-11-12 21:11:50
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org