The Next Game Boss  (Read 11598 times)
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Medals: 42
Projects: 11
Exp: 10 years

Game Engineer

« Posted 2012-12-04 23:50:26 »

You may or may not care, but I am a contestant on season 2 of "The Next Game Boss," a show run by IGN. The episodes starting airing some time in January, at which point I will post them here. If you go watch the last season, you'll be misled because it's nothing like how this season went. Basically I brought a game and competed with others for who had the best game.

Unfortunately, the game I competed with was not written in Java, I used Unity. Smiley

I will, however, post some links to it sometime in the future for your playing pleasure.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline namrog84

JGO Ninja

Medals: 46
Projects: 4

Keep programming!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-12-05 03:31:46 »

Good luck! I can't wait to see it

Episode 1 of The Next Game Boss, for those curious, also helps say what it is and what happens a littl bit.  At least for how it happened for season 1. I wonder how it will change.
http://www.youtube.com/show/thenextgameboss

Cheesy

"Experience is what you get when you did not get what you wanted"
Offline krasse
« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-12-05 13:37:07 »

Wow!
This is cool. I wish you good luck!
PS
I care Wink
DS

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #3 - Posted 2013-01-16 21:15:49 »

The trailer for the season is up! The first episode will be out on the 22nd.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qsSJjUzfIYI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/qsSJjUzfIYI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline cheatsguy

Junior Devvie

Medals: 3

Gamer turned Pixel Artist turned Programmer

« Reply #4 - Posted 2013-01-17 13:13:18 »

Just to ask, what team were you on?

Busy between school, work, life, games, programming and general screwing around.
If you'd like some pixel art for your game, send me a PM, i'll see what I can do.
Current project: http://elementalwarblog.wordpress.com/
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #5 - Posted 2013-01-17 13:29:35 »

Just to ask, what is this?

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #6 - Posted 2013-01-17 13:47:33 »

just to ask, don't you guys use to read ?

His name is Eli. There's a guy called Eli in the video. In the video they show Eli's team.

Just to ask, what is this?

You may or may not care, but I am a contestant on season 2 of "The Next Game Boss," a show run by IGN.
. Basically I brought a game and competed with others for who had the best game.

@Eli good luck on that!

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #7 - Posted 2013-01-17 13:55:58 »

No i mean the event but... ok ok! i'll google.

Offline jonjava
« Reply #8 - Posted 2013-01-17 16:01:02 »

:D

Keep updating this thread for links to the episodes once they become available, good luck!

Offline Rorkien
« Reply #9 - Posted 2013-01-17 16:03:10 »

If this makes you happy, you are the handsomest male in the video  persecutioncomplex
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Cero
« Reply #10 - Posted 2013-01-17 16:11:23 »

Oh COME ON

egoraptor went to The Tester and said it was one of the worst things he ever did.
Reality TV man... *sigh*

Offline cheatsguy

Junior Devvie

« Reply #11 - Posted 2013-01-17 16:20:07 »

His name is Eli. There's a guy called Eli in the video. In the video they show Eli's Team.

Didn't get the chance to watch the video  persecutioncomplex sorry for my ignorance :/

Busy between school, work, life, games, programming and general screwing around.
If you'd like some pixel art for your game, send me a PM, i'll see what I can do.
Offline ra4king

JGO Kernel

Medals: 356
Projects: 3
Exp: 5 years

I'm the King!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2013-01-17 22:59:21 »

If this makes you happy, you are the handsomest male in the video  persecutioncomplex
As a straight male, I agree. And that transgendered person looked creepy Cheesy

Either way, I can finally put a face behind "Eli". Tongue

Good luck!

Offline ReBirth
« Reply #13 - Posted 2013-01-18 02:44:56 »

It doesn't have wiki page Sad

So I guess based on my read, it's like a normal jam but with more glorious promotion and popularity?

Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #14 - Posted 2013-01-18 05:03:45 »

I watched the first season and well... This show is absolute garbage.  Cranky

You have 2 judges where the only thing they bring is a mullet and average sized tits. Then you have one real judge that is actually in the game developing business who is not an asshole. So if the mullet and blond decide they really like some retarded thing the real developer's vote is useless.

It is not, "give a bunch of teams a week to make a game" its, "make up a bunch of tard events like swapping team members and 2 hour time blocks and then wonder why you get crap back." Oh, and you can only use unity because well...idk. This is not a game jam.

Unless they do something vastly different in the second season, it will be bad. I wish Eli the best of luck (even though it is probably already over) and salute him for doing the show. I might watch it just to see how you did but what do you expect from IGN? 

Go team Eli  Cheesy

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 139
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #15 - Posted 2013-01-18 17:23:10 »

Judges should be selected from JGO elite...
Offline cheatsguy

Junior Devvie

« Reply #16 - Posted 2013-01-18 19:18:16 »

Seconded on that.

Offline Cero
« Reply #17 - Posted 2013-01-18 19:18:31 »

I watched the first season and well... This show is absolute garbage.  Cranky

I'm not surprised, and I regret every second I watched of "The Tester" - so yeah, I gonna pass

Offline HeroesGraveDev

JGO Kernel

Medals: 309
Exp: 3 years

┬─┬ノ(ಠ_ಠノ)(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

« Reply #18 - Posted 2013-01-18 20:56:34 »

Welcome to the world of technological incompetence.

Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #19 - Posted 2013-01-23 07:37:15 »

Here is episode 1. Note it started with 4 1v1s, so I'm only in one of the first four episodes. That one will be next week (the 29th).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6qekBpZt1co?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6qekBpZt1co?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

As for you anti-reality TV peeps... why would Egoraptor do that? He's already a celebrity. I did this to get eyeballs on my indie game, which is by far the biggest thing you need to get. Your game can be crap, but if 1 million people see it you're going to do better than an unadvertised Shigeru Miyamoto game.

We're putting a Kickstarter up in the next couple of weeks to attempt to channel some of these people to our game. Let's hope it works. Anyway, there was a lot I didn't like about this show, but there was much more I did like. Everyone was respectful and the other devs were awesome. It was cool meeting the 3 judges and they're all now in dialogue with me about my game and future - that's hardly necessary of them. True, the format is kind of crap. With  4 1v1s it means if the second best game happens to be matched up against the best game, they're still considered "last" place. Similarly, allowing games of all ends of the spectrum (least devved was only 2 weeks, most was 5 years!) that is horribly skewed. How can the 2 week game ever possibly compete? And the judges got literally 2 minutes to play each game. Uh wut?

BUT. 300k people watched the last season. I expect more will watch this one. Eyeballs! That is totally awesome, and worth way more than the paltry 10k prize.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline Sparky83

Senior Devvie

Medals: 6
Projects: 1

« Reply #20 - Posted 2013-01-23 11:35:25 »

I understand why you would participate in that, but honestly... I CAN'T watch it... It is too artificial, there is nothing left for me to believe except the statements of the contestants about their own game. And this can't be good.

As an example I would like to show you a part of the audio. What they do is: when they want to cut down everything to seconds instead of listening to what a person has to say, they just show you some visuals from the game with the voice coming from the off. And then they cut it into pieces and it sounds ridiculous. Like in Simpsons when homer was in TV and they just cut it that way that he said things he never did.

Here it is: http://www.rm2k-tv.de/stuff/IGN_ringRunner.mp3
This from position: 13:41

When you watch RTL on television here in germany you get to see crap like this all day long. The problem is that I don't know which one is worse, this or RTL. People hate MTV for what it did with their program. And this is exactly what it was made up of.

I don't like how the show is designed with all the cuts, effects and blingBling. I think that the people involved might be nice and charming but the way it is pumped up with deception... those shows are mostly smoke and mirrors. I don't like it at all.
Offline Cero
« Reply #21 - Posted 2013-01-23 13:03:36 »

As for you anti-reality TV peeps... why would Egoraptor do that? He's already a celebrity.
First he applied as a pure joke, but since no one else wanted to do this, he got all the internet votes.
He planned on screwing up the whole show and messing with them. He tried, but they cut out everything naturally =D

I did this to get eyeballs on my indie game, which is by far the biggest thing you need to get. Your game can be crap, but if 1 million people see it you're going to do better than an unadvertised Shigeru Miyamoto game.

We're putting a Kickstarter up in the next couple of weeks to attempt to channel some of these people to our game.
Well Eli, thats really the definition of "selling-out".
Not that I judge you, I might have done the same for the free advertisement.

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #22 - Posted 2013-01-23 13:31:37 »

Well Eli, thats really the definition of "selling-out".
Not that I judge you, I might have done the same for the free advertisement.

That's not selling out.

That's selling.

There's nothing wrong in that, it does not betray any believes or code of honor of game programmers. Do you think Minecraft would be such a hit if people didn't recognize notch as a little celebrity in the game making scene?

I for one salute Eli for putting his name (and face) on the map.

edit: Although I do condemn his decision of abandoning java  Tongue

Offline Cero
« Reply #23 - Posted 2013-01-23 14:11:54 »

Do you think Minecraft would be such a hit if people didn't recognize notch as a little celebrity in the game making scene?
Comparing someone who got famous on his own with this kinda thing is very wrong.

edit: Although I do condemn his decision of abandoning java  :P
You have some weird priorities :D

Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

« Reply #24 - Posted 2013-01-23 14:57:36 »

Do you think Minecraft would be such a hit if people didn't recognize notch as a little celebrity in the game making scene?
Comparing someone who got famous on his own with this kinda thing is very wrong.

Wow, either you missed my point entirely or you are deliberately red herringing.

Offline krasse
« Reply #25 - Posted 2013-01-23 15:01:42 »

I think you are doing a great thing Eli!
I can imagine that this is a really fun and great learning experience.

Offline Rorkien
« Reply #26 - Posted 2013-01-23 18:07:04 »

What the hell, that space crab game looked like an amateur 00's flash game.
And the judges were all "OOOH IMEDIATE FUN! LOLOLOLO"; Seriously, i'll rip my ears off if i have to hear this "MEGA BOOOMB --- MEGA SHIEEEEELD" again.
Offline Eli Delventhal

JGO Kernel

Game Engineer

« Reply #27 - Posted 2013-01-24 00:26:23 »

Haha this thread is giving me chuckles. I sort of expected this reaction from other game devs.

I don't feel that I'm selling out, and I don't think you should have that opinion either. Maybe you would personally, but how am I selling out? More or less I did a game jam with TV cameras on. I love game jams. And I like attention. So. It was fun.

I think the most important thing that came out of this is that it really lit a fire under my butt, as well as the other people on the team. We were kinda sorta slowly developing this game in our spare time, without any direct goals or planned release dates. When it was going to be on TV suddenly, I spent the month leading up to it busting my butt and making the game 3x better than it had been before.

And now I've set a Kickstarter date, a release date, and more. I have websites up, Twitter and Facebook accounts, etc. I'd say that's pretty darn valuable for me.

Plus, I got valuable feedback from Jaffe and Chen. That's awesome.

See my work:
OTC Software
Offline dishmoth
« Reply #28 - Posted 2013-01-26 10:30:57 »

I watched Episode 1.

It was exactly as dumb, trashy, and grating as I'd expected, with anything resembling depth mercilessly edited out.

But there was something quite interesting about watching a developer try to justify their game.  Yeah, we know you've spent a lot of time on it, and you think you're really smart, but seriously, why do expect anyone else to be interested?

I think JGO should use the same approach for deciding if a game is allowed into the 'Featured' section. Wink

Anyway, I known it's too late to matter, but Go Team Eli! Grin

P.S. I always imagined you looked like the orangutan that used to be your avatar pic.

Offline Ultroman

JGO Knight

Medals: 25
Projects: 1

Snappin' at snizzes since '83

« Reply #29 - Posted 2013-01-26 11:26:03 »

Eli is no sell-out. Notch didn't get famous on his own. No one does. If Minecraft hadn't been reviewed by CynicalBrit and all those guys, it probably wouldn't have gone as crazy as it has.

This show is basically the same thing as getting a review made. The game is in a video with people talking about it, which is put on the Internet.

GO GO, ELI!

- Jonas
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (29 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (20 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (40 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (75 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (37 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (50 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (46 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (113 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (100 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (30 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org