Offline thanatos1

Senior Newbie

« Posted 2012-11-25 02:40:08 »

Please delete thread!
Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

Medals: 5
Projects: 3

If you look closely, you might see it turning...

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-11-25 05:58:46 »

It doesn't really work - the menu screen is flickering and when I press singleplayer, the game stops!  Shocked Clueless.
Please change it.

Smiley
Offline thanatos1

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-11-25 06:23:34 »

Like i said....

download the .zip.

unZip it to whatever directory you want

make sure graphics folder and DarkVania.jar are in the same directory.

double click DarkVania.jar, there's no need for me to change anything, i've tested this in 2 computers.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-11-25 06:32:18 »

It's really hard.  Sad

Smiley
Offline thanatos1

Senior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-11-25 06:36:35 »

very good,

for now you can only have a whip, but I want you to find other types of weapons like daggers/hammers/ etc, and allow you to specialize in particular weapons, so if you commit to training daggers then you get faster attack speed and cast on hit modifiers, or chances to stun if you commit to training hammers etc.

I'm working on adding magic/pyromancies, but you have to aim properly, it's not gonna be homing missiles or whatever.

NOTE: btw, could you tell me how well/badly it runs on your PC? this game uses only Java2D for rendering, and I realize that may be a little slow..
Offline plastygrove

Medals: 1
Projects: 2

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-11-25 08:55:44 »

I really like the game. The mario graphics are quite nice and the old school feel to the game is charming in fact. For 1.3Mb, I think you've nailed the size requirements for such a side scrolling game.

Some comments about the gameplay:
  • Jump is quite less. Can't even jump on to the bricks in the air to avoid the zombies
  • The whip is a bit slow. I guess this will take practice to time it properly, but by the time I pull the whip out, the zombie is already eating my face
  • Perhaps a brief invincible situation where the character blinks for a few seconds when he touches a zombie? This would keep the character from dying immediately if he gets cornered by a zombie. This is a very common feature in 8bit games Smiley

Given that it only uses Java 2D, it works quite well. Absolutely no lag on my laptop with 8GB RAM and 1GB nvidia GT420M
Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-11-25 11:31:55 »

Controls seem to be bit overcomplicated to me. Why is left/right on the arrow keys, but jumping is on z? Why not simply on crsr-up? Remember that not everybody is using an english keyboard layout. I have QWERTZ, not QWERTY, so x and z are spread across half the keyboard... Sad

Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 24

One for all!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-11-25 13:24:44 »

Some comments about the gameplay:
  • The whip is a bit slow. I guess this will take practice to time it properly, but by the time I pull
I feel the same way. In Castlevania this was fine, because the design was based on slow clunky movements, so you had to time your attacks and plan your jumps.

You only took half of that away, yet you put in a crapton more enemies. Not like in Castlevania, where it was all about patterns and avoidance, but more like in Castlevania 2 where there's just a ton of the same stupid enemy.

I don't like Castlevania 2. Sorry.

I think you did a good job making this game though.

Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-11-25 13:54:39 »

Hi

double click on the .jar executable
It opens the JAR with the archiver. Rather use Java Web Start or any other installer.

It works fine except that the game occupies only a small part of the screen. I get the following error message:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid display mode

Please don't create instances of DisplayMode, rather use those returned by GraphicsDevice.getDisplayModes().

It is a bit too hard but it's fine. You shouldn't use copyrighted contents without the prior consent of copyright owners, why not using artworks under open licences?

Offline thanatos1

Senior Newbie

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-11-25 14:42:33 »

Actually you are applied a brief moment of invul whenever you are hit, as stated on the upper left corner (but its not very clear at this point), but given the map is so short i found that if i made the invul longer you could just walk pass a lot of enemies, but later on i will enhance the invul frame.

Thx for feedback guys, ill answer the ones i remember:

Whip attack speed can be increased via items, theres one that enhances your atk speed by 20% for 15 secs, also like i mentioned, you'll be able to get better at particular weapons if you skill them up.

I use copyrighted material because a) im not making money off of this and b) im just testing my engine at this point.

Regarding jumping, i want you to be able to increase jumping mastery with skills/items, but yes i prob need to buff it a little bit.

Btw i forgot to mention, you have a shield, and you can parry the whip skeletons if you shield up JUST before their whips hit you, it takes a bit of practice but if done right you will stun them for 2 secs, leaving you time to land free hits as well as absorbing 100% incoming damage.

Im just glad its running fine for most of you guys.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-11-25 16:19:40 »

I use copyrighted material because a) im not making money off of this and b) im just testing my engine at this point.
which is still illegal (Sega contacted me a few years ago for a similar "trouble" just for a single model whereas I have never earned a penny with my game).

What about the problem with the JAR and the IllegalArgumentException? Can you show the part of the source code involved so that I can help you?

Offline thanatos1

Senior Newbie

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-11-25 16:54:05 »

I essentially hardcoded the dimension of the DisplayMode object to be 800 by 600 instead of using the "best" that the user's monitor/video card can handle.

I assumed everybody could run a 800 by 600 that's why i made it so low, but it's really a simple fix, i actually have the code to use the client's "best" dimension rather than hardcoding a 800 by 600, but i decided not to use it because i actually thought it might give people trouble, live and learn!
Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-11-25 17:07:11 »

It depends on the proportion of the screen, mine is not 4/3, there are lots of 16/9 screens, mine is 16/10. You can set the preferred size of your canvas (java.awt.Canvas) to 800*600, set a BorderLayout to your frame and put your canvas into it (with BorderLayout.CENTER). Then just switch to the display mode whose size is greater than or equal to 800*600 but as small as possible.

Offline Cero
« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-11-25 17:38:58 »

A Winner is me =D
Dark Souls player here, so got through it pretty quickly.
Seems like a very good tactical engine - this is fun.

Problems:
- The shield sprite is showing when you walk with it as well, however it doesnt work, only tested it against the spear. Also the shield sprite is a little small and unnoticeable
- Chip damage / block damage, should be shown in some way, only way to find out now it looking at the life bar.
- some ai bugs, if you go to close to a whip skeleton he may walk in place and hesitate
- the simple zombies should take one hit, OR should slow down when being hit
- if one whipping animation wasnt successful, due to being hit, the next one is sometimes cancelled midway - common simple programming mistake
- on the winning screen the cursor disappeared, so I couldnt click anything - you probably forgot to reset it after the game
- quitting the game somehow caused in a displaymode failure and I had to use windows setting to repair, I recommend adding a window mode to switch to by using the default ALT+ENTER
- indeed Z and X shouldnt be used - also a common mistake by QWERTY users, its very hard for QWERTZ people

Looks bad at first because of the placeholder graphics of course, but there is a really good fell to it. If I imagine there would be real sprites and cool music - this would kick ass

Offline thanatos1

Senior Newbie

« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-11-25 17:48:09 »

A Winner is me =D
Dark Souls player here, so got through it pretty quickly.
Seems like a very good tactical engine - this is fun.

Problems:
- The shield sprite is showing when you walk with it as well, however it doesnt work, only tested it against the spear. Also the shield sprite is a little small and unnoticeable
- Chip damage / block damage, should be shown in some way, only way to find out now it looking at the life bar.
- some ai bugs, if you go to close to a whip skeleton he may walk in place and hesitate
- the simple zombies should take one hit, OR should slow down when being hit
- if one whipping animation wasnt successful, due to being hit, the next one is sometimes cancelled midway - common simple programming mistake
- on the winning screen the cursor disappeared, so I couldnt click anything - you probably forgot to reset it after the game
- quitting the game somehow caused in a displaymode failure and I had to use windows setting to repair, I recommend adding a window mode to switch to by using the default ALT+ENTER
- indeed Z and X shouldnt be used - also a common mistake by QWERTY users, its very hard for QWERTZ people

Looks bad at first because of the placeholder graphics of course, but there is a really good fell to it. If I imagine there would be real sprites and cool music - this would kick ass

awesome reply!

yes, I am aware of every single issue you just mentioned!, except the invis cursor after winning, i was pretty sure i fixed that, maybe i released the wrong version.

the shield sprite is literally a 2x9 brown square, i couldn't be bothered to find an actual sprite for a shield (they're hard to find if all you want is the side of it) but yes I'm planning on much bigger/noticable shields in the future.

adding a numerical value when you hit enemies is in the works, same with different colored fonts when criticals are landed.

I've never found that whip skeleton bug, do you remember what you did when you encountered it?

I totally know what you mean about the attack animation restarting after being hit, (i fkin thought i fixed this too!) it was literally just one line of code that i added, i for sure uploaded an outdated version i apologize.

But i don't get the Z and X hate, what kind of weird ass keyboards do you people use??? but if you guys don't like it, tell me what they keys should be binded as and I'll just support those 2 version.

NOTE: also, could you please tell me how the game ran on your PC? was the camera movement very choppy?

thx for descriptive reply!
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 98

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-11-25 17:53:18 »

But i don't get the Z and X hate, what kind of weird ass keyboards do you people use??? but if you guys don't like it, tell me what they keys should be binded as and I'll just support those 2 version.

What? Weird ass keyboards? Grin It's only Z and Y flipped for us here in germany. And it's not only us having this keyboard layout.

The best would be keyboard configurations, but yeah...

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline thanatos1

Senior Newbie

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-11-25 17:54:54 »

oh okay, ignorant me thought all keyboards had the same layout, this game is apparently best played on N/A noob keyboards.
Offline Cero
« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-11-25 18:31:52 »

the shield sprite is literally a 2x9 brown square, i couldn't be bothered to find an actual sprite for a shield (they're hard to find if all you want is the side of it) but yes I'm planning on much bigger/noticable shields in the future.
Just make it  1 or 2 pixels thicker and black =D

I've never found that whip skeleton bug, do you remember what you did when you encountered it?
On a flat piece of the level, get hit and continue to walk towards him, as you are face to face with him, sometimes he then hesitates, walks in place and finally starts attacking again.

Just look at the french keyboard layout =DD  no WASD x)
german is only z and y swapped, its a common mistake for amercians to hardcode X and Z in these small games  D=

NOTE: also, could you please tell me how the game ran on your PC? was the camera movement very choppy?
Well no, not choppy, however this is a rather strong pc for such a simple game I guess, dual core and such

Offline thanatos1

Senior Newbie

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-11-25 18:35:17 »

alright thx for the input man,

I'll have to make the shield black even though it's supposed to be a Wooden shield!  : (

Offline Cero
« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-11-25 18:41:01 »

I'll have to make the shield black even though it's supposed to be a Wooden shield!  : (

well these are placeholder graphics anyway, so what does it matter ;DD

Offline thanatos1

Senior Newbie

« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-11-26 00:16:23 »

I actually just made a few changes to the game, and realized i probably should have posted this in the WIP sub-forum but I didn't see it.. can a mod delete this Thread so that i can put it there and not get bashed as some sort of spammer please?

Anyways, for the time being i'll include the changes here..

Should I upload a new version and add it here or wait for this to be deleted?

NOTE: One major issue that i have with the game is that on some machines, the player will jump lower than on others, i think this is because my game loop sleeps for a period of time (set to 9ms i believe) but even though it's supposed to sleep the same across all machines I realize relying on System.millis in not a good approach, but i don't see how i can have the game sleep the same amount of actual real time across all machines, any ideas?
Offline plastygrove

Medals: 1
Projects: 2

« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-11-26 08:10:40 »

NOTE: One major issue that i have with the game is that on some machines, the player will jump lower than on others, i think this is because my game loop sleeps for a period of time (set to 9ms i believe) but even though it's supposed to sleep the same across all machines I realize relying on System.millis in not a good approach, but i don't see how i can have the game sleep the same amount of actual real time across all machines, any ideas?

I don't know how it works in Java 2D, but Slick2D has a parameter 'delta' that's a frame-rate dependent offset. To have a 9ms pause, you would do (delta*9) or something similar. This keeps the time constant irrespective of the performance (read framerate)
Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-11-26 10:33:19 »

There's System.nanoTime as in here:
/**
 * Get the time in milliseconds
 * Return the system time in milliseconds by dividing by 1 million
 */

public long getTime() {
    return System.nanoTime() / 1000000;
}

Grin

Smiley
Offline thanatos1

Senior Newbie

« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-11-26 17:19:49 »

I keep hearing of this Slick2D thing on this forum... does that have faster drawing functions than Java2D or something? would it be a good idea for me to port this over to that?

anyways, about the nanoTime, it seems to me that if the computer clock is f**ked up and giving me some weird millisecond time, i assume it would also give me f**ked up nanosecond time, but i'll try your method and write back the results!
Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-11-26 18:47:29 »

anyways, about the nanoTime, it seems to me that if the computer clock is f**ked up and giving me some weird millisecond time, i assume it would also give me f**ked up nanosecond time, but i'll try your method and write back the results!
There is another known hack to force Windows to use an high precision timer, I use it in my game:
http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/yet-another-game-loop/25366/msg/218408/view.html#msg218408

Offline Cero
« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-11-26 19:18:50 »

I keep hearing of this Slick2D thing on this forum... does that have faster drawing functions than Java2D or something? would it be a good idea for me to port this over to that?

Doing gameloops is easy but hard to get just right.
Slick2D and Libgdx are frameworks that use OpenGL, so they are inherently faster and more stable - they also do things like gameloop on their own.
Slick2D is kinda dying - however porting from Java2D to Slick2D is very straight forward since almost everything has the same or similar names / functions (Slick2D is still very effective and usable for games of this size)
When you want to include sound and or music, you will have to get an external library anyway, since JavaSound is the biggest pile of shit ever; and Slick2D already has sound playback and stuff

Offline thanatos1

Senior Newbie

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-11-26 22:43:47 »

hmmm I'm getting there, i just asked my teacher about sleeping inside a game loop and he said that should never be done, the game should run as fast as it can but use some sort of variable that dictates how "fast" a sprite should move for that particular frame.

So i did just that, i no longer have a Thread.sleep(9) on my gameLoop, which is really, really good, it improves the look and fluidity on my laptop like you wouldn't believe.... thx guys, this is a really helpful forum, i just wish it were a bit more alive!
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print