Games in Android Showcase (117)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  How to make ground tiles in 5 steps using photoshop!  (Read 4108 times)
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

Medals: 10
Projects: 1

I'm tired of working for someone else.

« Posted 2012-11-17 04:06:42 »

Hey guys,

I thought I'd share a little nugget of joy that is "how to make ground tiles in photoshop"... basically I want to show you guys an easy way to make dirt ground tiles that mesh together fairly well.

Note: Make sure you have Photoshop CS2 or greater... I'm currently using CS 2, so let me know if it's changed since then.

Step 1: create a new photoshop document.

Step 2: using the Rectangle tool, create a square that's of a brownish color.

Step 3: go to Layer > Layer Style > Pattern Overlay

Step 4: select a pattern you want to lay on top of the brown rectangle... it's best to choose something that has a ton of tiny pieces... I chose a photo with a bunch of pebbles (the more tiny objects in the picture, the easier it will be to copy and paste the tiles next to each other without noticing where one tile stops and the other begins)

Step 5: Select a blend mode that allows the underlying color to bleed through... I suggest "color burn", but you should probably cycle through each to find what looks best to you.

And that's it! Piece of cake... Here's an image for reference:

I'll cover grass the next time I get a few minutes.

Thanks for viewing guys Smiley

-Pickle

Offline Best Username Ever

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-11-21 19:30:06 »

Two things:
1) Like most Photoshop "tutorials" this is just a step by step process to make trivial changes to art made by someone else.
2) Use GIMP.
Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-11-21 20:56:52 »

What do you think photoshop is? It is taking photos and turning them into something else. And well...gimp tutorials would be really nice but...if we have photoshop...

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 800
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-11-21 21:00:05 »

The problem is that a handful of instructions on how to apply 1 filter on 1 layer, doesn't quite constitute as a tutorial or article.

As B.U.E. says or implies: this is not a tutorial on how to make ground tiles. A pre-requisite is to have a greyscale ground tile.

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Screem
« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-11-21 21:54:19 »

@Best Username Ever
I kinda disagree with using GIMP... I've tried Photoshop, Paint.NET, and GIMP, and I kinda have to say GIMP is the worst of all three. Photoshop is perfect for heavy image manipulation (and drawing to some degree), and Paint.NET works well for simpler graphics. GIMP was overly complicated, confusing, and terribly slow. Just because you enjoy GIMP doesn't mean others will. Smiley

And I agree with Riven here, this isn't really a tutorial... it's just changing the hue of a pre-existing image. A tutorial on how to actually draw a ground/dirt tile from scratch would've been much more helpful.

Offline Best Username Ever

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-11-21 22:35:17 »

GIMP isn't great, but it is good enough to get the job done. (And it isn't as slow as Photoshop (CS4 at least).) There are a number of reasons why someone wouldn't want to install Adobe software. A GIMP tutorial will address a larger audience, since tutorials for GIMP are more likely to be transferable to Photoshop than vice-versa. We're talking about about game developers, so there might be more GIMP users than the general population. Though it would be nice if the general population didn't use Photoshop as its default lens flare and filter machine and if there were more competition in this sector.

Even if I liked the idea of supporting Photoshop, I wouldn't use it for anything game related. It's bloated and not usually suited for that type of stuff. I've actually have only seen one program that is good for creating original and modified art as an amateur artist or a hobbyist programmer, but it was proprietary and is now vaporware. In this case, since it's possible to achieve the same thing using the same amount of effort while shunning the brand name and supporting free software, I don't see why it would hurt. And we're talking about CS2 anyway.
Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-11-22 01:17:35 »

If photoshop is so bloated and slow then why do the majority of AAA companies require you to be a master at photoshop when applying for their game asset positions? Well...the also want, z-brush/mudbox/maya/3ds/......

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-11-22 06:27:46 »

I've not found GIMP to be slow, but it sure is cumbersome.  Actually, parts of it are awesomely elegant, and other parts appear to have been designed by someone who chewed all the lead paint off their crib... it's very much a hodgepodge of organically-grown parts.  Blender is much the same way, though at least Blender appears to be serious about revamping their UI toward more consistent usability guidelines.
Offline arielsan
« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-11-22 12:44:01 »

GIMP is free and works on all platforms (including Linux which is what I use). If the tutorial was on GIMP I agree it could reach a bigger audience. However, as a reader of the tutorial, if you know how to use GIMP you should know how to transfer the idea from Photoshop to GIMP.

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 107
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-11-22 15:33:57 »

As a user of GIMP I've found it very hard to draw stuff...

You said that correct, if you know how to use gimp... But often you search for those tutorials to find out how to use GIMP... this is my problem latly... :/

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Varkas
« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-11-22 15:37:42 »

GIMP appears very obscure to me too. I'm about to order me a learnign book for GIMP, since I think it's a powerful too, and I hope once I've learned how to use it, it will be efficient.

if (error) throw new Brick(); // Blog (german): http://gedankenweber.wordpress.com
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 132
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-11-22 17:32:20 »

GIMP isn't that hard to use. It's just that usually you're so stressed out about your code that you don't want to worry about art.
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

Medals: 10
Projects: 1

I'm tired of working for someone else.

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-11-24 05:08:37 »

I guess you guys are right... this isn't really state the full process of making a ground tile. I did it in kind of a rush, I'll go back and see if I can elaborate more on the full spectrum of what goes into a "ground tile"

I've never really messed with Gimp... I got photoshop from my father in law back in 2004 and haven't really looked at messing with anything else.

Feel free to remove this topic if it isnt helpful... I'll go back to the drawing board.

-Pickle

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

radar3301 (12 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (31 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (22 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (20 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (29 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (33 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (48 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (74 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (103 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (51 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org