Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  SKIRMISH  (Read 4035 times)
Offline Cero
« Posted 2012-11-03 13:33:38 »

[size=30pt]SKIRMISH[/size]
[size=16pt]Turn-based Strategy Game[/size]

Here is also our Website's entry of SKIRMISH

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d3ekBHEPjNo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/d3ekBHEPjNo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Offline badlogicgames
« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-11-03 13:44:13 »

Really nice, took me a while to get used to the controls. I was expecting to just tap on a target spot for the thing to move, but the current mechanic is pretty neat!

One minor thing: the game didn't go into real full-screen mode for me on Windows 7, 64-bit.

http://www.badlogicgames.com - musings on Android and Java game development
Offline Giovanni

chop!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-11-03 13:52:44 »

The controls are indeed unusual. Did you ever consider such a power-of-the-shot bar like in Worms for example? Besides the controls the only little problem I noticed was the pathfinding of the AI. They sometimes drove into walls and slided along them a bit till they continued on their path.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Cero
« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-11-03 15:22:53 »

One minor thing: the game didn't go into real full-screen mode for me on Windows 7, 64-bit.
Yeah thats by design right now, not really sure if to change it... do people really want fullscreen ? I kinda play everything windowed for some reason :D
Well I should probably just enable CTRL+Enter.

@Pathfinding, well yeah, going to let my pathfinding programmer know, but of course we know its not perfect yet.

@Controls
power of shot bar ? yeah doable, of course its really not power, but range, and that is made apparent by the shadow
The idea is to make the controls somewhat depend on skill, or else every match will be relatively "simple" with every player getting perfect hits and so forth.
However yea, feedback is welcome.

Online Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-11-03 15:24:44 »

Yeah thats by design right now, not really sure if to change it... do people really want fullscreen ? I kinda play everything windowed for some reason Cheesy
Depends on whether Alt-Tab-ing out of the game freezes/crashes it or not.
Offline Cero
« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-11-03 15:25:47 »

Yeah thats by design right now, not really sure if to change it... do people really want fullscreen ? I kinda play everything windowed for some reason Cheesy
Depends on whether Alt-Tab-ing out of the game freezes/crashes it or not.

I would be surprised :0

Offline deathpat
« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-11-03 15:48:52 »

just tried it, I love the graphics Smiley

I have found the controls very cool also. I think it gives more the impression to be in control of the unit compared to a classic "click the map where the unit should go".

Some remarks:
- I've found a bug: When moving the big tank 100% of what it can, then the red button to fire disappears so I had to click blindly on the top right of the screen to fire.
- I think the background music is not balanced enough in term of volume, meaning that sometimes it is really too loud compared to the sounds FX ( I think it is at about the half of the track )
- seems to me that the big tank was too strong. I crushed all the enemies of the first level only with it Smiley ...

Otherwise it was fun to play. I played it on PC, and I agree that it could be cool to have a fullscreen mode ( I always play fullscreen Smiley ). How do you choose the window size ? Is it hardcoded ?

work in progress : D A E D A L U S
Offline Cero
« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-11-03 16:58:26 »

- I've found a bug: When moving the big tank 100% of what it can, then the red button to fire disappears so I had to click blindly on the top right of the screen to fire.
Going to check that out !

- I think the background music is not balanced enough in term of volume, meaning that sometimes it is really too loud compared to the sounds FX ( I think it is at about the half of the track )
Noted.

- seems to me that the big tank was too strong. I crushed all the enemies of the first level only with it Smiley ...
Yeah balancing is not yet quite good; its hard to do damage with the buggy at all, but if all shots hit a target it can do quite a lot damage and stuff
But it is a big freaking tank and moves slow =D

Otherwise it was fun to play. I played it on PC, and I agree that it could be cool to have a fullscreen mode ( I always play fullscreen Smiley ). How do you choose the window size ? Is it hardcoded ?
Yeah right now I look at the desktop resolution and switch to an appropriate resolution ranging from 1600x900 to 1024x576 depending on what fits on the desktop resolution.

Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

Medals: 5
Projects: 2

If you look closely, you might see it turning...

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-11-04 03:44:54 »

This game is real fun!  Grin  Wink  Smiley Cheesy But sometimes, my helicopter suddenly gained life!  Shocked Shocked (This only happened once  Grin). Still a great game.  Pointing I wish i could appreciate it, but I can't.  Cry It says I can't do a karma action until I wait an hour. Cry

Smiley
Offline Braddas

Medals: 1
Projects: 1

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-11-04 13:06:53 »

I like it! Plays pretty well on my phone. I must admit the controls were a little confusing at first, I would only expect to tap on a vehicle once before being able to move it. It also took me a while to realise that you held down the fire button to control the power of the shot, once I got the hang of it I liked it though.

Also - and this is specific to Android - disabling the back button on the menu screens will really hurt your chances of getting featured, the Google team are really picky about stuff like that.

It's good though! There aren't too many games that play this way on Android, the few that do tend to get a little tedious. Your game has a nice pace to it.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-11-04 13:39:34 »

Actually a pretty neat game. The game idea is good too, but it was very buggy...
  • Enemys drive against walls
  • The enemy helicopter once shot about 20 times... I was suprised he even stopped doing so Cheesy
  • The enemy stops moving sometimes for a couple of seconds somehow... Is he calculating his path in this time?

Anyways, still a very good game! Totally worth a medal!
(especially the graphics)

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

Medals: 5
Projects: 2

If you look closely, you might see it turning...

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-11-06 05:39:14 »

Yes, the graphics were very good.  Tongue

Smiley
Offline TheUzo007

Projects: 3

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-11-08 16:12:04 »

I tested it on Android Samsung I5500 Galaxy 5 that has 2.8 inch screen. All things/images ar to big. The button for driving is so big that is over all the screen. Can't zoom out because this phone doesn't hava multi touch.
Background sometimes disappear.
When I tap on a unit, and then tap it again for moving it, its shoots almost every time.
Once it hapend that tank gained life.
Your logo disappear too quickly, I can't even see it.

But I like graphic and explosions.

Offline Cero
« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-11-08 18:17:06 »

I tested it on Android Samsung I5500 Galaxy 5 that has 2.8 inch screen. ... Can't zoom out because this phone doesn't hava multi touch.

Wow I wasn't aware... I have like to worst phone I have ever seen, 600mhz single core and even that has multi touch.
and with many many other games/apps doing the two finger multi touch I dont know if I should change that...

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print