games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  HungerGamesBoardGame  (Read 9497 times)
Offline Agro
« Reply #30 - Posted 2012-11-17 14:55:36 »

Its not all about Integers. Basically any object consumes memory and you should watch out on how many objects you are creating. Even though java has a internal garbage collector(it checks if that object is out of scope), sometimes it doesn't work.

Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #31 - Posted 2012-11-17 15:01:04 »

That makes sense.  I assume an array doesn't reduce memory, as it's just like making as many objects as the elements you have in terms of memory usage?

Also, without music my game's memory usage is down to a max of 30MB.  So I'm not sure exactly if there's much more I can do from here, the music seems to be using 313 MB of memory.
Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

Medals: 5
Projects: 2

If you look closely, you might see it turning...

« Reply #32 - Posted 2012-11-18 06:20:12 »

Hey, it doesn't work (its stuck at 0%) and I have
Quote from: command line
java version "1.7.0_09"
from java -version command (windows here)

Smiley
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #33 - Posted 2012-11-18 16:32:01 »

Hey, it doesn't work (its stuck at 0%) and I have
Quote from: command line
java version "1.7.0_09"
from java -version command (windows here)

Most likely you are using javaw 32-bit, which gets stuck as well.  I'll probably look into a different music library to see if a different one can actually load on all versions and all bits.  For now, though, just turn music to false if you'd like to play or run via command line (I'm not sure if that works, but I believe it does).

I am going to keep the same library, update it, and use a new method for loading music.  Instead of loading music upon start-up, I will load the new song when the previous song ends.  It doesn't slow down the game at all, and the mix of what I'm doing may allow the game to load with 32-bit javaw.

Alright before I put the link to 1.0.1 in the main post, I am having a few people bug test it.  The link is http://www.mediafire.com/?dp67t7g88lw84t2 though.

V1.0.2 reduces memory usage even more and it will be released when I get back from vacation (Monday).
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #34 - Posted 2012-11-26 23:57:25 »

1.0.2 is now out.  Memory usage is way down from before, and now I extremely doubt that any memory errors will occur, but let me know if any do.  Hopefully this will be the last update unless I look back at the game and want to add some major features in the future.
Offline packetpirate
« Reply #35 - Posted 2012-12-05 19:13:09 »

Can I ask how you learned Java? To be able to learn Java from scratch and create something like this by the end of the year is pretty impressive...
Offline Tjstretchalot
« Reply #36 - Posted 2012-12-05 19:18:15 »

@packet Usually you can get right into making games in a year with a good teacher, because all those days that is spent googling/thinking over a problem a teacher can bring you right up-to-date

@OP Could you wrap the change log in code tags or something similar that can be hidden?
Offline packetpirate
« Reply #37 - Posted 2012-12-05 19:21:12 »

@Tj Doesn't really answer my question, but okay. I went to college and graduated last year, and even now I just started working on my first real game only a little over a month ago. Until now, it has just been non-practical practice problems and random programs for my portfolio.
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #38 - Posted 2012-12-06 00:08:50 »

@packetpirate Unlike what Tjstretchalot suggested, I did learn Java just by googling and wondering why things didn't work.  It isn't really as bad as you make it seem, the longest time I was angry because I had no idea why something wasn't working was just about 2.5 to 3 hours.  I honestly don't really suggest this to you however - if you have a teacher it's better.  Still, though, if you don't have a teacher it might be a good method.  But honestly, I have no idea what the "best" way to learn Java is.  I did not learn via any teacher, though.

@Tjstretchalot As far as I know on these forums there is no way to do that.  If you know of one, however, please let me know, as I'd like to do that as well.
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #39 - Posted 2013-01-27 00:57:04 »

I have added a GitHub link if you would like to look at the code.  I warn you though, it is extremely ugly!  Soon I will update this game to use Slick2d for graphics.  I just need to finish the basic outline of the current game that I am working on.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #40 - Posted 2013-02-19 01:36:40 »

I have started converting graphics to Slick2d!  I have already added in all the fonts currently (thank you UnicodeFont, for allowing me to use normal Java Fonts), and the text looks amazing because Slick2d automatically anti-aliases.  To see my actual code progress, head over to the GitHub page.
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #41 - Posted 2013-03-24 22:12:14 »

I have finished converting the game to using OpenGL via Slick2D.  I have also made a launcher for the game that will download new updates when they are necessary and display the changelog for the game.  Currently the game is in 1.1.0 Pre-Release, as I am not ready to call it 1.1.0 yet because there are likely bugs.  If you can play it for me and possibly report bugs, that would help a lot!
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #42 - Posted 2013-03-25 13:57:30 »

I have just updated the launcher with the option to download the soundtrack.  It's smart though - if you have already downloaded the soundtrack it won't display the button allowing you to do so again!  Of course, it's easy to change the date.txt file into letting you download the soundtrack again if you happen to delete all the files save date.txt.
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #43 - Posted 2013-04-07 14:52:53 »

I just tested this with Linux (Ubuntu 12.10) and found some bugs.  The coordinates of displaying everything seems to be slightly off on Linux, so I will have to detect OS then adjust lots of coordinates automatically.  Also, the buttons on the launcher aren't equal.  I apologize if you saw these before while playing, I never knew about them since I had never tested on Linux.  I will try to fix them now however.
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print