News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  HungerGamesBoardGame  (Read 8243 times)
Offline Sammidysam
« Posted 2012-08-02 01:57:23 »

Current Version: Version 1.1.0 Pre-Release

Introduction made in August when I first made the thread.
Hello everyone!  This is my first game game that I'd like to show to everyone.  I started working on it in late April I think, and I started learning Java in February 2012.  I feel like with my age (13) and experience so far that this is pretty good, but I'm not sure.  I haven't seen a huge amount of other games.  If you see any bugs or crashes, please report them to me, and I will fix them.  The controls are mainly mouse clicking, except for some buttons on the keyboard to advance in menus or add items to your inventory.  The keys to add stuff to your inventory are 1-0 on the keyboard (no numpad), and q and w.  I use TinySound as my sound library.  I got rid of the features list because it was extremely long and most things said are pretty basic anyway.  Besides all of that, enjoy the game!

GitHub Repository: https://github.com/Sammidysam/HungerGamesBoardGame

This game was finished on November 2, 2012.

Here are some screenshots (taken in Pre-release V0.4):

To-Do List/Bug List:
None! Cheesy

Change Log:
http://sammidysam.github.com/HungerGamesBoardGame/changelog.txt

System Requirements (as far as I know, could be true or false):
To play game:
Java 7 or higher
To have music/sounds:
Java 7 Update 7 or higher

Game Launcher Download: http://sammidysam.github.com/HungerGamesBoardGame/Launcher.jar
Soundtrack Download: http://sammidysam.github.com/HungerGamesBoardGame/Soundtrack.zip

To get playing:
Double-click on launcher
Click yes when it prompts you to update (clicking no will result in no game being launched because it must be downloaded first)
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 121
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-08-03 02:41:20 »

To be sure, that is one long-ass explanation.  Grin

Anyways, I guess it's a pretty decent first game(ish), but you need to either get an artist or work on your image art. I'm 13 also, but decent at artwork. Good work on the tiles, but it's important not to just represent the player with a dot, so I suggest you implement that first. Even 2 generic images for one boy and one girl would be fine. As for multiplayer...unless this is going to be peer to peer, I don't recommend buying servers to host games and whatnot. Because you only started in February, and because of the stage the game is in(no offense, just saying I can sorta tell how good you are) I don't think it's worth it to run servers, try running servers after you get a game that is really good.
Offline TheCodingUniverse

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-08-03 10:23:44 »

I think it's amazing how you've done this with so little knowledge of Java. Good job!

Oskar Veerhoek, founder of TheCodingUniverse.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-08-03 18:40:31 »

To be sure, that is one long-ass explanation.  Grin

Completely true.  Wink

Anyways, I guess it's a pretty decent first game(ish), but you need to either get an artist or work on your image art. I'm 13 also, but decent at artwork. Good work on the tiles, but it's important not to just represent the player with a dot, so I suggest you implement that first. Even 2 generic images for one boy and one girl would be fine. As for multiplayer...unless this is going to be peer to peer, I don't recommend buying servers to host games and whatnot. Because you only started in February, and because of the stage the game is in(no offense, just saying I can sorta tell how good you are) I don't think it's worth it to run servers, try running servers after you get a game that is really good.

I agree with the art.  Really only the sword image looks good, all others are decent, except for the coat which is really bad.  That's my opinion though, I assume to other people only the sword is decent, and all others are really bad.  I'll look into images for the players, but I'm not sure if I can get that to work while maintaining a different color for each character.  I never intended on buying servers for the game, I was hoping that I could program something where a person hosts a game, people join, all remaining slots become computers, and they play.  I doubt that it'll even be necessary since I doubt many will play this game.

I think it's amazing how you've done this with so little knowledge of Java. Good job!

Thank you Cheesy
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-08-04 00:26:36 »

@Sammidysam
One person hosting it still requires a server, unless you want the person to host it on their computer, which would be difficult to program for multiple users (imho). But your choice.
Offline BCoding

Senior Newbie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-08-05 16:48:46 »

You definitely need to work on tile art. It's just a color square, nothing to look at. But this is very good for your first game.

Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-08-11 03:04:31 »

I have started working on adding enemies.  It's going to be long, hard work.  I probably should've updated to v0.2.2 before I started adding enemies, but I might just pack along some really bad enemy AI in v0.2.2.  Of course, most of the enemy AI will be dumb anyway, based on my coding ability.  I'm really excited to work on the enemy AI more though!
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-09-03 18:14:41 »

UPDATE!  First one in quite awhile.  I now have music!  The music, even in .ogg format, takes up 30 MB of space, which is pretty annoying.  I will focus on finishing this game and it will hopefully be done around October or November!
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-09-16 03:11:38 »

Update to v0.3!  Game is now winnable against opponents, but quite hard.  I think the game will be done somewhat soon, but I have no idea when it will be done.
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-09-30 22:11:51 »

v0.4 is now out.  I have decided to call it Pre-Release v0.4, because it's before the release of the first version.  The game should be done very soon now!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-10-13 02:11:44 »

Once again, an update.  Right now I feel like this game is almost done, so I am just going to get my friends to play it, bug test it, then as long as all bugs are fixed I will hopefully have the full version done in about a week.  I'm pretty excited.
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 612
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-10-13 03:07:59 »

The work only starts once others are going to play it! Don't give up Smiley

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-10-29 02:01:40 »

Another update.  I found a few bugs throughout my playthroughs, fixed them, and got a new soundtrack for the game.  There are a few changes I want to make before I release the full version, but I really believe that my next update will be the full version.  I also added a download link for the soundtrack, in case any of the songs you liked.
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-11-02 22:34:53 »

My current update is everything that will be in the final version, but my friends are just doing some quick bug testing before I release the final version.  I'm pretty excited!  Cheesy

I'd also like to record the game sometime, but Fraps doesn't recognize it as a game (or at least focus on recording it for that matter).  Do you know anything I can do in my code to make Fraps recognize it as a game?  I tried getting Camstudio and it really sucks, and I'd much rather use Fraps.

EDIT: Wow, the bug I've been trying to fix for awhile is just there with old Java versions.  Now I just change my system requirements slightly, and I'll put up the full version in a few hours or tomorrow (my bug testers gotta finish going through the game).
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-11-03 01:11:08 »

The game is finally done!  Thus, I request a move to the Showcase forum.  I will hopefully update it with a few changes once every 2-3 months or so, as suggestions roll in.  I feel like this is a very good first game, and I'm excited to get onto my second game!
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 612
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-11-03 01:42:05 »

Moved to showcase! Pointing

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

Medals: 5
Projects: 2

If you look closely, you might see it turning...

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-11-04 04:18:51 »

@Sammidysam: I hope this isn't offensive, but IT DOES NOT WORK!!  Shocked Even after I unzipped it! And all the txt files are in the same folder! Iwas looking forward to the game...  Cry
EDIT: I have Java 7 now  Grin

Smiley
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-11-04 04:47:24 »

@Sammidysam: I hope this isn't offensive, but IT DOES NOT WORK!!  Shocked Even after I unzipped it! And all the txt files are in the same folder! Iwas looking forward to the game...  Cry
Run it through the command line, see what errors/exceptions you get.
Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-11-04 04:58:25 »

What's the command line?

Smiley
Offline ctomni231

JGO Ninja

Medals: 71
Projects: 1
Exp: 7 years

Not a glitch. Just have a lil' pixelexia...

« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-11-04 06:11:05 »

What's the command line?

It is Command Prompt on Windows, Terminal on Linux and Mac.

Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-11-04 14:57:48 »

I know for a certain that a Java version below 7 will not open the game.  To get the music to load, you need Java 7 Update 7 or higher.  If there is some different error going on, I do not know about it.  If you could run the game through the command line, I would really appreciate it, and while you're at it, check your Java version and make sure it's up to date.
Offline Apo
« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-11-04 16:06:25 »

I get the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space exception but with more heap space it works [tested with -xmx512m].
Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-11-05 07:48:58 »

I know for a certain that a Java version below 7 will not open the game.
Oh, I have Java 6 (I think Grin) or, its not the latest update Emo.

Smiley
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-11-14 02:48:26 »

I get the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space exception but with more heap space it works [tested with -xmx512m].

How much memory was allocated before you added more heap space?  I've done some testing for my game's memory usage and it is quite high.  I'm putting in an efficient garbage collection system for V1.0.1 and after lots of testing I should finish that soon, which will hopefully cause the game to use less memory.
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-11-14 17:43:15 »

Yeah you need to fix that. If big games like BF3 and MW3 don't run out of memory neither should a small game like this.
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-11-17 03:21:29 »

So as I was working on lowering memory usage, I thought that changing lots of int to byte when necessary would reduce memory usage (heap space).  Is this true?  I looked on Google but didn't get a definitive answer.
Offline Agro
« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-11-17 03:22:45 »

A byte is 1 byte and an integer is 4 bytes. 1 byte can go up to 255 value. So yes.

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-11-17 03:24:34 »

Won't make much of a difference, honestly. Fixing the biggest memory leak in your game will probably be more efficient than fixing tons of small ones.
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-11-17 03:25:20 »

Alright, thank you.  I'll worry about that later then.
Offline Sammidysam
« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-11-17 15:54:00 »

I got the memory usage down to about a max value of 343 MB where before it was upwards of 600 MB.  I think this is still a bit high, so I will probably make some more Integers into Bytes when necessary to see if I can lower it more.
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print