News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  asking permission  (Read 3032 times)
Offline ShuKen

Medals: 4

« Posted 2012-10-19 20:00:48 »

Hi guys! Im kinda new on JGO (2 days?) but been visiting the web since a few weeks. Im from argentina, I speak spanish obviusly and when I started with LWJGL, Slick and Eclipse to make a game I found tutorials on internet but...I found the tutorials very complicated. I dont know if spanish post are allowed here, but I would like to post an spanish tutorial of "Setting Up LWJGL+Slick2D+Eclipse" here on JGO. I made it for myself but now I want to share it (if someone helps me with the translation, we can post it on english too). Its very well explained, step by step in an easy way.

So..im asking permmision to make a post in spanish (or spanish and english).

BTW, i dunno if this is the right place for a tutorial like this.

Thank guys! The forum is awesome.
Offline Gjallar

JGO Coder

Medals: 13
Projects: 1

Follower of Nurgle

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-10-19 20:04:44 »

There are already really good step-by-step tutorials on youtube.

I dont see how that would be too complicated  Huh
Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 605
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-10-19 20:09:48 »

A Spanish article for me, is as useful as a Dutch article would be for you.

One of the most important things that keeps a community together is the ability to understand eachother, which at the very least requires a common language.

An English translation would be very welcome, ofcourse Smiley

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline teletubo
« League of Dukes »

JGO Ninja

Medals: 48
Projects: 6
Exp: 8 years

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-10-19 20:11:38 »

Why don't you simply translate your tutorial and then post it? Your English seems fully understable.

Offline ShuKen

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-10-19 20:30:52 »

There are already really good step-by-step tutorials on youtube.

I dont see how that would be too complicated  Huh

hehe yeah, but a lot of people have problems with the Native Library location, or the amount of jar to import. Also, all is reduced to follow steps. When someone is starting on this world of jars, javadocs, ide's and stuff it gets very confusing and the people just follow steps with no idea of what are they doing. Even doing that, sometimes doesn't work either.

A Spanish article for me, is as useful as a Dutch article would be for you.

One of the most important things that keeps a community together is the ability to understand eachother, which at the very least requires a common language.

An English translation would be very welcome, ofcourse Smiley

Yes, you are right. But the idea of spanish is to help someone like me who been looking for a good tutorial fully understandable on his own lenguage.
I belive that people must know why is neccesary each step, and not only follow them.

Why don't you simply translate your tutorial and then post it? Your English seems fully understable.

Ok. I'll translate it to english and post them both under spoilers to not disturb people with text on other lenguage.
Could be also dutch if somebody - im not talking about riven Tongue- want to translate it xD
(multiLenguage-post-system-coming?)

Anyway, I asked permmision becouse I dont know the rules of JGO xD It's the truly. lol
Offline ShuKen

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-10-19 22:42:06 »

Ok guys this is the english version. Feel free to modify everything you want. Looks like pretty well to me but Im sure that can be better.

English Version
If we want to use LWJGL and Slick2D in a Eclipse Project, we must perform a series of simple steps.

For starters, try to have the latest versions of both tools (LWJGL and Slick2D), which sometimes is not an easy task with Slick.

LWJGL can be found at: http://www.lwjgl.org/
Slick2D can be found at: http://slick.cokeandcode.com/

LWJGl and Slick brings a lot of jars witch a lot of functionalities, but we are going to need only the basic jars, they are:

LWJGL:
-----
lwjgl.jar

Slick2D:
-------
slick.jar

Download the tools everywhere you like (except maybe in the eclipse folder).
Note that slick.rar from http://slick.cokeandcode.com/ already have lwjgl and other things with in. we are going to use only slick things from there. So, still it's recommended download them separately.   

Now, to use LWJGL and Slick within a project in Eclipse, follow these steps carefully:

1 - Create a new Java Project.

2 - Create a folder in the project called "lib". There will place the two jars above, but also we will place the .dll files required by LWJGL to work properly on each operating system.
LWJGL works on Linux, Mac, Solaris and Windows. But requires specific libraries for each one.
Such libraries (.dll files) are in the folder "lwjgl-2.8.4/native/OS_name". Copy all the .dll of your operative system to "lib" folder of the project.

Just to know, the windows .dll are:
(slick.rar have the natives too, but try to use the ones who came on the LWJGL download)

jinput-dx8.dll
jinput-dx8_64.dll (64bits)
jinput-raw.dll
jinput-raw_64.dll (64bits)
lwjgl.dll
lwjgl64.dll (64bits)
OpenAL32.dll
OpenAL64.dll (64bits)

3- Back in eclipse, go to the "lib" folder and select the two jars (lwjgl.jar and slick.jar). We will proceed to link them to the project:
(if you cant see the new files, press F5 to reload the folder inside Eclipse tree)

right click on project Name-->BuildPath-->Add to BuildPath ...

Both jars are already linked to the project and can be used. Note that in the project tree we can see now a "Referenced Libraries".

4- If at this time we tried to run code that makes use of one of the jars attached, we would get an error saying that LWJGL is not on the library.path or something like that. The problem is that LWJGL is not using the .dll files placed in "lib" folder because doesn't know where they are. To indicate this:
   right click on the project name-->properties-->Java Build Path-->Libraries--> select lwjgl.jar, drop down the small menu below him and we will see a line that says: "Native Library location: none ". We have to put the path to the "lib" folder of the project where de .dll files are. With this done, Slick2D and LWJGL are functional. But is recommended one more step to go.

5- It is essential, when developing applications, have the Slick javadoc associated to the project. The javadoc is what contains the information that you see in the contextual menus that show ups when you are coding.
The way to link the javadoc of slick to our project:

right click on the project name-->properties-->Java Build Path-->Libraries--> select slick.jar, drop down the small menu below him and we will see a line that says "Javadoc location: none". We must put the path to javadoc. It is on the same folder where you have downloaded Slick: "C:/your path of downloads/slick/javadoc/". (Click on "validate" to see if it is the correct path).

6- Done. Slick2D and LWJGL are fully functional in Eclipse. Smiley

Smiley

P.D.: cant make spoilers work
Offline Cero
« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-10-19 22:56:33 »

if you cannot follow a tutorial because its in english and not in your native language, you really have bigger problems

Offline ShuKen

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-10-19 23:05:10 »

if you cannot follow a tutorial because its in english and not in your native language, you really have bigger problems

Follow a tutorial its simple. Understand different. Just want to add some info in spanish for people who can read in english but prefer his own native language to understand better.
Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-10-20 01:39:41 »

The issue is that 99% of tech related content (how-to, tutorials, docs) are in English.

It'd be a wiser investment of time to get yourself to comprehend English, than it is to write/find tutorials in your (non-english) native language.

Offline sproingie
« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-10-20 01:52:00 »

I would tend to make an exception for "getting started" tutorials that show you how to get things set up.  It's very frustrating to follow any other technical documentation for a library or framework when it's hard to set up.  Though I never really get the point of condensing these setup guides into follow-by-rote recipe form rather than explaining why every step is the way it is: you may as well just provide an executable script in that case.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ReBirth
« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-10-20 03:59:16 »

Don't worry, tutorials usually only use Present Tense Pointing and I'm not english native speaker but spell checker always help me, not in grammar but at least correcting spell.

Offline ShuKen

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-10-22 18:36:13 »

I would tend to make an exception for "getting started" tutorials that show you how to get things set up. 

Almost the 100% of the info is on english. It's impossible to do something good if the developer can't read english. But the idea of this was to make a "first tutorial" of the world of slick on spanish to help some people to introduce to the library.

Thats all. I decided to make my own tutorial, and then I realized that it could help other people, thats why I asked permission to post it in spanish here. I dont know if its allowed, just that.

Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-10-22 18:46:29 »

It is certainly allowed, but not encouraged. You're not going to get moderated and the thread is not going to get deleted.

It will have to be published in the [Miscellaneous Topics] board though, because it's of no value for the vast majority of our visitors. You might want to publish your tutorial on a Spanish site instead, where people will appreciate it.

Offline ShuKen

« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-10-22 18:54:50 »

It is certainly allowed, but not encouraged. You're not going to get moderated and the thread is not going to get deleted.

It will have to be published in the [Miscellaneous Topics] board though, because it's of no value for the vast majority of our visitors. You might want to publish your tutorial on a Spanish site instead, where people will appreciate it.

Yep, I guess that I should do that. Thanks for the answer!
Offline davedes
« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-10-22 20:42:18 »

Just an FYI -- the old website and source/binaries are no longer maintained by Kevglass.

New website:
http://www.slick2d.org/

New Source Code Repository (latest is dev branch)
How to Pull The Latest Slick Code
Spanish translation of the above guide, via Google

Offline gimbal

JGO Coder

Medals: 25

« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-10-29 14:33:07 »

Follow a tutorial its simple. Understand different.

Very wise statement. But it is not the language it is written in that does it - tutorials tend to not provide understanding at all, only copy/paste code and/or a list of actions (click here, do that) to blindly follow.
Offline masteryoom

JGO Coder

Medals: 5
Projects: 3

If you look closely, you might see it turning...

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-11-21 07:17:07 »

Easy to understand tutorials here.

Smiley
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (23 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (18 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (32 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (16 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (32 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (58 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (116 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (216 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (183 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (190 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:05:20
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org