Games in Android Showcase (109)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Advice sought on stalled project  (Read 811 times)
Offline TimeSlip

Junior Newbie

« Posted 2012-10-18 17:54:17 »

Hello,

After graduating from computing conversion course (in which we got a grounding in Java and a few simple games) I decided to have a go at making a proper game. I decided not to make the usual mistake and go for a huge project, so I decided on a 2D tactical combat game with a base management layer and RPG style levelling...

4 months later, I've built a prototype that is functionally almost complete.

The problem is the visual implementation, especially of the turn based combat segment. It's awful. That's because my knowledge of graphics in java is awful. I've been stalled for a week now, trying to build some basic animation testers.

Now for the questions:

1) Can a game of commercial quality be made in a swing frame set to full screen? (i.e. something that could be sold on Steam) Or do I need to use FSEM? Or should I add some libraries (another topic I know little about). The base management layer is heavily reliant on frames.

2) How many months learning will it take to get a basic grasp on animation? Assume I'm pretty much starting at 0.

3) Are there any different technologies (i.e. game engines) I could move to that would greatly simplify animation?

4) Would teaming up with another enthusiast who has a grasp on graphics be a good idea? What are the downsides?

5) Should I backtrack and work through some tutorials on making simpler games, and then return to my main project?

Thanks for reading. Any advice would be seriously appreciated.

Offline SwampChicken
« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-10-19 07:11:15 »

Write the game for yourself to enjoy first, not for the purpose of selling.

Offline Varkas
« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-10-19 11:21:36 »

1) Can a game of commercial quality be made in a swing frame set to full screen?

2) How many months learning will it take to get a basic grasp on animation? Assume I'm pretty much starting at 0.

3) Are there any different technologies (i.e. game engines) I could move to that would greatly simplify animation?

4) Would teaming up with another enthusiast who has a grasp on graphics be a good idea? What are the downsides?

5) Should I backtrack and work through some tutorials on making simpler games, and then return to my main project?

1) I believe, yes. I never sold something though, and I'm happy enough if I get a few people to actually look at my projects. But still, I don't see a technical restriction in the Swing toolkit that would prevent you from making a professionally looking game; it might just be a question of effort.

2) It depends. A lot. If you have a natural talent on understanding how things move, and some talent in painting, you surely can learn it in a few weeks. Otherwise I'd recommend a few months of practising, of course you'll need books or tutorials which teach you the basics of anatomy and kinetics.

3) I have no idea. Either I use 3D tools to render my animations, or pixel them frame by frame. Neither approach is very quick.

4) Yes for sure. Downside? You'll need to communicate, find agreements, and have discussions. It's slower than doing everything yourself, but will result in better quality. A 2 person team has little communication overhead, but it already exists.

5) Hard to tell. To make a game you need:

a) Game design skills (how to make it interesting/fun?)
b) Coding skills (actually bring it alive)
c) Graphics skills (make it look good)
d) Sound/music skills (set mood and atmosphere, give feedback to the player)
e) Storytelling skills (keep the player interested)

... at least. If you lack some of them you can still make games, but it will be more difficult and most liklely players will feel that something is lacking.

if (error) throw new Brick(); // Blog (german): http://gedankenweber.wordpress.com
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline RobinB

JGO Ninja

Medals: 44
Projects: 1
Exp: 3 years

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-10-19 15:39:28 »

a) Game design skills (how to make it interesting/fun?)
b) Coding skills (actually bring it alive)
c) Graphics skills (make it look good)
d) Sound/music skills (set mood and atmosphere, give feedback to the player)
e) Storytelling skills (keep the player interested)

The problem is most people only can do 1 or 2 things from this list, i guess this would be the main reason to team up with other people.
No one can be good at all these aspects.
Offline TimeSlip

Junior Newbie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-10-19 17:12:35 »

Thanks for the advice. Some good points made. Should be able to handle the game design, coding (if I can figure out basic animation), and story telling myself. The intention from the start has been to get allies to help on the graphics and sound. Have no aptitude for either of those.

Thanks again
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-10-20 04:56:20 »

its hella difficult to get your game on steam now, thanks to greenlight persecutioncomplex
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (15 views)
2014-08-01 22:53:16

CogWheelz (15 views)
2014-08-01 22:51:43

CopyableCougar4 (18 views)
2014-08-01 19:37:19

CogWheelz (19 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (27 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (16 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (14 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (35 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (13 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (44 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36
Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 18:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 18:19:50

List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org