Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (603)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Yildiz-Online: My RTS space game  (Read 12674 times)
Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

Projects: 1

« Posted 2012-10-12 21:00:31 »

Hi everybody!!

Im a java developper and Im currently developping a game of mine "Yildiz-online".

Just to give you an idea about Yildiz,, it is a massively multiplayer strategy game(MMORTS). It's a combination of classical startegy game(like: Homeword or Starcraft) and management game(like: Ogame).

The game takes place in outer space colonized by humans, a lost expedition found abandonned space bases built by unknown civilization. After some centuries they developped and colonized the entire system.

The game is entirely in 3 dimensions. Goal is to develop and assure the management of its base,or if you wish, to create an army to attack other players to steal their resources.

It can be played on windows and linux platform. Yildiz is made in two languages (French and English) which are available.

I would like you please to give me your ideas about it or your suggestions.

You can check my fb page to see the screen shots and videos about it on: Yildiz-online and if you have any question feel free to ask.

Thank you in advance!

Offline Geemili

Senior Devvie

Medals: 9
Exp: 2 years

No Games Finished

« Reply #1 - Posted 2012-10-12 21:05:41 »

It looks ok. It would be useful if you posted links, and much appreciated if you posted screenshots.
Offline RobinB

JGO Ninja

Medals: 44
Exp: 3 years

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #2 - Posted 2012-10-12 21:17:21 »

You got a lot of competition with this genre, good luck.
Not many people are going to check your facebook (including me), so you loose a lot of people.
Give us some screens in this topic, maybe some demo or something.

Ive seen 2 awsome rts games (also "space" style) at the top of WIP, what makes your game better?
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2012-10-12 23:12:27 »

Thank you both for your advises, first some videos:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4cVMDkk3oy4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4cVMDkk3oy4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7-6uiLj5kLE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/7-6uiLj5kLE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>

Graphic assets are not final and will be improved.

This game is not only a RTS, an important part of it is your base management in a persistent universe, the 2 game style have a strong synergy, an army will be uneffective without a good management, and wealth will be limited without using realtime units(even if several way to play are possible, depending on the prefered research tree)...

The game is currently in private alpha

Latest news on facebook for thise interested https://www.facebook.com/yildizonlinegame
Offline Geemili

Senior Devvie

Medals: 9
Exp: 2 years

No Games Finished

« Reply #4 - Posted 2012-10-12 23:43:07 »

(DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert. Anything I say has liability to be completely wrong.)

Looks much better than I could do. One thing I will say though: Controls are important. If I can't control something on the small scale, I will almost always fall to the enemies. Also, although this game is 3d, do remember that most controls that we have are 2d, and a player will prefer to think of an RTS this way. One last thing:
Don't add too much Physics. Basically, don't allow the player to completely disorientate themselves. It get's very confusing that way. Add in a way for them to have a fixed direction, whether is be up, left, or towards the enemy, don't let them get lost.
Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2012-10-12 23:52:51 »

Thx geemili, you are right about the controls, i changed some weeks ago from full 3D move(X,Y,Z) to 2D plane(X,Z) Y is locked.

It was kinda hard to move on the 3 axis and didnt have a good impact on strategies.

Physics is used for collisions(bullet librairie, graphic is Ogre, audio OpenAL, network netty IO), no dynamics excepted for some visual effects, but nothing altering gameplay.
Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2012-10-16 16:51:46 »

Alpha test is going well and many bugs were fixed. There is going to be a change concerning the log in interface soon. I'll post the screen when it is done  Smiley
Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #7 - Posted 2012-10-19 15:38:27 »

News:
   The launcher is working well, it will automatically download the latest files, replace the corrupted and launch the game.  Cool
Offline Cero
« Reply #8 - Posted 2012-10-19 16:24:42 »

the title is horrible... Yildiz is a turkish name

that would be like "Smith Online" or "Jones Online"

not to mention that there is "AY YILDIZ" which is a cell phone network provider

Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #9 - Posted 2012-10-19 17:00:41 »

the title is horrible... Yildiz is a turkish name

that would be like "Smith Online" or "Jones Online"

not to mention that there is "AY YILDIZ" which is a cell phone network provider

in french we have an adage : "la culture c'est comme la confiture, moins on en a plus on l'étale".
to understand it, may i suggest you to open google translate... and while you are there, you can check yildiz in turkish too, you'll certainly learn a new word.

tip: ay means moon
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Cero
« Reply #10 - Posted 2012-10-19 17:34:31 »

I know what it means, thats not the point
every name has a meaning, still there is no "Jennifer Online" - if you want to be taken seriously

maybe its just me...
gonna make "Kevin - The ultimate racing game"

Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #11 - Posted 2012-10-19 17:43:01 »

maybe its just me...

certainly more than maybe, thank you for your suggestion anyway, we will certainly take in into consideration in the next 20 years.

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #12 - Posted 2012-10-19 17:53:25 »

there is no "Jennifer Online"

I had a friend in school named Eve.  Wonder what she thinks.  But she was never a gamer, so I doubt she knows it exists.

Now what I can say is that to the English-speaking market, "Yildiz" just sounds weird.  But hey, in the indie scene, weird names have some currency, so it's hardly the worst criticism one could make.
Offline Cero
« Reply #13 - Posted 2012-10-19 18:31:58 »

there is no "Jennifer Online"

I had a friend in school named Eve.  Wonder what she thinks.  But she was never a gamer, so I doubt she knows it exists.

Eve on the other hand is such a cool name...
Well whatever

Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #14 - Posted 2012-10-21 11:00:34 »

A new video to show switch between the 2 camera systems (free and locked):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zs_49tkGpM8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/zs_49tkGpM8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;start=</a>
Offline Quarry
« Reply #15 - Posted 2012-10-21 14:18:06 »

Are you Turkish?
Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #16 - Posted 2012-10-21 20:40:57 »

no i am belgian une fois!
Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #17 - Posted 2012-11-01 18:04:06 »

Hi all  Cool

Some updates:

-network transfert optimized.
  -map system(planets, suns, asteroids) fully working.
  -texture number reduction with new icon generator.
  -compositor to improve render.
  -chat system.

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

« Reply #18 - Posted 2012-11-01 18:12:07 »

Your graphics are excellent.  However, please consider having a native English speaker do your text, because it's full of grammatical and spelling mistakes.  You'd hate to have easily-fixed things like that detract from the overall quality of the game after all.

I do have one nitpick about the graphics though: the font spacing is much too tight, causing letters like 'i' to be almost completely invisible.
Offline Mads

JGO Ninja

Medals: 26
Projects: 3
Exp: 6 years

One for all!

« Reply #19 - Posted 2012-11-01 18:15:22 »

Basically, don't allow the player to completely disorientate themselves. It get's very confusing that way. Add in a way for them to have a fixed direction, whether is be up, left, or towards the enemy, don't let them get lost.

Not necessarily. With a proper compass, or other way of telling direction I'd be perfectly happy to be able to twist in all directions. I really don't like being bound to an axis, in a 3D space game.  Smiley

Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

« Reply #20 - Posted 2012-11-01 18:21:29 »

I hear that.  One of the things that bugged me about Homeworld was how all ship formations would revert to the same XY plane, and how all Z axis movement was done with respect to that plane, such as how rotation would basically stop at the north and south poles.  

Getting the ships aligned on a plane looked kind of cool, but it should have been a formation thing to align on any arbitrary plane -- plus, imagine how bad-ass it would have looked to have a circular formation of fighters with each craft's "up" radiating out.

Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #21 - Posted 2012-11-01 22:08:20 »

Thx for the graphic, as i am programer, that's really nice to hear.
Good catch for english, i am currently making it corrected, sure it does not make serious.
I consider change the font, as you say i is too close, same for 1(i spent 30min searching for an unexisting bug because i read my resources were 1000 instead of 11000)

for the Y axis(game is Y up), it was making lot of issues, like the base could not attack an entity under it, and the game play was less interesting, now with a XZ plane, it is really better.
Offline Grunnt

JGO Kernel

Medals: 95
Projects: 8
Exp: 5 years

Complex != complicated

« Reply #22 - Posted 2012-11-02 08:26:36 »

Looks cool Grin It's a genre of games that I enjoy, and this one seems nice enough. I'm looking forward how this will progress.

Overall I never got the hang of "full 3D" RTS games, the human mind (or at least my mostly human mind) is not so well suited to reasoning in 3D. You'd need a really good interface (revolutionary even) to make that work for me.

Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #23 - Posted 2012-11-06 13:07:20 »

and you'll enjoy that one Smiley

currently i m working on packaging resources properly for the incomming public alpha

shouldnt be long before the game can be tested
Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #24 - Posted 2012-11-12 17:17:51 »

Updates:

-VFS resources loading is working.

-resources cleaning is progressing.

-Public alpha test is going to be launched soon.
Offline gouessej
« Reply #25 - Posted 2012-11-12 18:25:23 »

Hi

in french we have an adage : "la culture c'est comme la confiture, moins on en a plus on l'étale".
to understand it, may i suggest you to open google translate... and while you are there, you can check yildiz in turkish too, you'll certainly learn a new word.

tip: ay means moon
In English, it means: "Culture is like jam, the less you have the more you spread". I try not to use our mother tongue here to avoid making Riven laugh about me, even though some of our expressions are very difficult to translate into English.

I'm impatient to try the alpha version.

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

« JGO Overlord »

Medals: 840
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #26 - Posted 2012-11-15 09:25:06 »

Offtopic:

I try not to use our mother tongue here to avoid making Riven laugh about me

persecutioncomplex

Please don't take it personally. If I were to translate Dutch expressions to English it would be funny/odd/confusing for others too. If I wouldn't know any better, I'd think it was a monkey sandwich. You don't have butter on your head, do you? Or are you about to eat the cheese off my bread?

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social
Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #27 - Posted 2012-11-15 20:04:15 »

It's ok Guys, let's forget about jam and butter for now lol

back to the main topic Cheesy
Offline gouessej
« Reply #28 - Posted 2012-11-16 15:27:40 »

back to the main topic Cheesy
Yes... Where is the alpha version? I want to give it a try.

Offline yildiz-online

Junior Devvie

« Reply #29 - Posted 2012-11-20 18:13:11 »

Updates:

-Server is deployed.

-Currently Writing a handbook to explain game mechanics and how to play.

-Then account creation app will be the last step before alpha.
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (30 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (23 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (49 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (83 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (44 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (58 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (56 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (122 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (112 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (32 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Resources for WIP games
by kpars
2014-12-18 10:26:14

Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org