ignore  |  Print  
  Ünembra  (Read 30490 times)
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

Medals: 10
Projects: 1

I'm tired of working for someone else.

« Reply #180 - Posted 2013-01-14 05:59:03 »

Been working on this over the weekend and I think I'm getting closer, however I think I need to work on the first part of the slash.

Female Attack Animation:
http://pickleninja.com/unembra/img/femaleAnimations/femaleCombatIdleAnimation4.gif

-Pickle Smiley

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 128
Projects: 4
Exp: 3 years

« Reply #181 - Posted 2013-01-14 06:02:51 »

Layers... basically every layer is an animation placed on top of another animation... Smiley

I have [in order from back to front]:
 - Cloak layer(not wearing cloak, so none showing)
 - Base layer(girl in undies)
 - Helm layer (currently no armor, so use hairtype/color AKA blonde hair)
 - Armor layer (not wearing armor, so none showing)
 - Offhand layer(shield)
 - Main hand layer (sword)

These layers will switch around a bit depending on the animation, but basically I draw all the animations by hand and test to see if they look properly. I haven't done a whole lot of testing on this, but from what I have done, it seems to work out ok.

So basically each layer has its own animation, and then the different layers of animation are layered on top of each other? Or am I thinking about it wrong

I think she crouches down too low, I don't think anyone would bend their knees that much, especially after you add clothing/armor. Why is the slash red?
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #182 - Posted 2013-01-14 17:01:56 »

So basically each layer has its own animation, and then the different layers of animation are layered on top of each other? Or am I thinking about it wrong

Pretty much... Smiley

I think she crouches down too low, I don't think anyone would bend their knees that much, especially after you add clothing/armor. Why is the slash red?

You might be right on that, I'll mess around with it more tonight and see if I can try having her crouch down less.

-Pickle

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline sproingie

JGO Kernel

Medals: 202

« Reply #183 - Posted 2013-01-14 22:42:48 »

I think the crouch looks all right to me -- ultimately you have to take some liberties and exaggerate for effect when dealing with a 2D character that's a couple inches high.
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #184 - Posted 2013-01-14 23:05:49 »

Ultimately you have to take some liberties and exaggerate for effect when dealing with a 2D character that's a couple inches high.

QFT lol.

Updated the female combat animation... added hair and messed with the slashing part a bit. Even though there are some things I don't like, I think I'm going clean it up a bit, and call it done for now so I can move onto the other animations.

http://pickleninja.com/unembra/img/femaleAnimations/femaleCombatAnimation5.gif

-Pickle Smiley

Offline Joshua Waring

Medals: 4
Projects: 2

« Reply #185 - Posted 2013-01-20 15:42:45 »

Reminds me of the animation on Battleon.com  (Adventure Quest) Smiley

The world is big, so learn it in small bytes.
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #186 - Posted 2013-01-22 01:50:33 »

Reminds me of the animation on Battleon.com  (Adventure Quest) Smiley

Man it's crazy, I haven't thought of that game in a long time!

Sorry for the lack of updates... my kid has been sick the past couple days, and loa-and-behold I got sick...

-Pickle Smiley

Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #187 - Posted 2013-01-26 03:52:09 »

Hey guys,

I haven't really worked at all on this in the past few days. I found out my 9yr old niece has leukemia, so I've been going through all that crap. She's out of ICU and doing good from what I've heard, but she's just starting on a long crappy road.

I'm still intent on making the game, and I've been inspired to make her part of it, so I'll let you guys know how things develop Smiley

-Pickle

Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #188 - Posted 2013-01-26 04:02:38 »

I haven't really worked at all on this in the past few days. I found out my 9yr old niece has leukemia, so I've been going through all that crap. She's out of ICU and doing good from what I've heard, but she's just starting on a long crappy road.

Really sorry for you and your niece, stay inspired Smiley
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #189 - Posted 2013-01-26 05:47:32 »

Really sorry for you and your niece, stay inspired Smiley

Thanks Jimmt, not much else I can do Smiley

Here's my first attempt at a "knock-down" animation.

http://pickleninja.com/unembra/img/femaleAnimations/femaleKnockDownAnimation_01.gif

-Pickle

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Jimmt
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

« Reply #190 - Posted 2013-01-26 05:52:36 »

Pretty good, but I'd say the rotation of the body when falling back is more centered around the feet; right now the legs are kicking up too far so it looks like rotation around the center of the image.
Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #191 - Posted 2013-01-26 07:41:17 »

The animations look good so far. I would not worry about polishing them right now. Get some going for all your major animations, attacks, jump, actions, deaths, and what not. Then you can work on game play and see how the style feels and change as needed. I know that I get bogged down on art alot which hurts w/e game I am making and I eventually get bummed out because all I have is a cool screen saver.

Any chance you could give something to play with? I love testing out all sorts of apps.

Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #192 - Posted 2013-01-26 15:15:28 »

Right now all we have stumpy are a ground and a character running/jumping lol. The programmer is going to start working on npc's here in the next few days and I've been trying to get a damage/death animation done so he can start expanding on that.

When we get something that's somewhat playable, we'll let you guys test it out Smiley

Thanks for showing interest though, it does more than you can imagine when it comes to keeping me motivated Cheesy

-Pickle

Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #193 - Posted 2013-01-27 05:20:39 »

Second draft of the knock down animation... Still some polishing left to do, but I'm not going to go too much into it since there's still more animations to go.

First draft
http://pickleninja.com/unembra/img/femaleAnimations/femaleKnockDownAnimation_01.gif

Second draft
http://pickleninja.com/unembra/img/femaleAnimations/femaleKnockDownAnimation_02.gif

-Pickle Smiley

Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 752
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #194 - Posted 2013-01-27 11:31:12 »

For you to fall like that, you'd have to be hit by a sledge hammer in the chest while somebody tackles you from behind persecutioncomplex Smiley

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Ultroman

JGO Knight

Medals: 24

Snappin' at snizzes since '83

« Reply #195 - Posted 2013-01-27 14:27:13 »

He'll probably be moving the sprite backwards a bit while this knockdown animation is running, so it'll look better. It could also be a sledgehammer-uppercut Smiley
Fun aside, she should probably fall more tree-like, instead of being horizontal in the air midway through.

Very good work, though!

- Jonas
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #196 - Posted 2013-01-27 22:20:51 »

For you to fall like that, you'd have to be hit by a sledge hammer in the chest while somebody tackles you from behind persecutioncomplex Smiley

Lol. Yeah I plan on having other fall down animations... like falling like a tree or a stagger then collapse. This one would most likely occur when you get hit with a spell like a fireball or something.

In other news, my niece is out of ICU, they removed the tumor in her chest... i guess through chemo? But I think she's got a few more days at the children's hospital before going home, but things seem to be doing well so far Smiley

-Pickle

Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #197 - Posted 2013-01-28 01:01:28 »

Fun aside, she should probably fall more tree-like, instead of being horizontal in the air midway through.

If fun is put aside, why am I doing this game!? Cheesy

Wireframe for the "get up" animation...

http://pickleninja.com/unembra/img/femaleAnimations/femaleKnockDownAnimation_03.gif

I'm anxious to get all these basic animations done so I can go back to level design Smiley

-Pickle

Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #198 - Posted 2013-01-30 05:49:16 »

Colored in the female get up animation.

http://pickleninja.com/unembra/img/femaleAnimations/femaleKnockDownAnimation_04.gif

I think I need to work on the "getting up" part a bit more, but I'm going to clean it up a bit, and slap it onto the sprite sheet so I can move on.

-Pickle Smiley

Offline GabrielBailey74
« Reply #199 - Posted 2013-01-30 06:00:09 »

You are a very talented pixel artist  Grin
No offense on this one Shocked, just my observation/speculation.

But it almost looks like she's punching herself in the head and that's why she's falling.
Almost looks like her heads only moving due to the impact of her fist XD
http://pickleninja.com/unembra/img/femaleAnimations/femaleKnockDownAnimation_04.gif

Once again though, you're a talented pixel artist, good job mate.

Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #200 - Posted 2013-01-31 03:02:39 »

You are a very talented pixel artist  Grin
No offense on this one Shocked, just my observation/speculation.

But it almost looks like she's punching herself in the head and that's why she's falling.
Almost looks like her heads only moving due to the impact of her fist XD

Once again though, you're a talented pixel artist, good job mate.

Lol, I thought the exact same thing... the issue is that she's suppose to be holding a shield in this animation... since I didn't animate the shield, I tried to position her hand where her shield would be lol.

Smiley

-Pickle

Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #201 - Posted 2013-02-06 01:25:12 »

Sorry for the lack of updates guys... I've been really under the weather and it turns out that I have pneumonia... 2013 isn't going well for me lol. Smiley

-Pickle

Offline matheus23

JGO Kernel

Medals: 106
Projects: 3

You think about my Avatar right now!

« Reply #202 - Posted 2013-02-06 19:58:35 »

Take a pause. Better you get healthy than you are trying to do more updates. Care about your health.

I don't know how to say that in english, but: Bless you =)

See my:
    My development Blog:     | Or look at my RPG | Or simply my coding
http://matheusdev.tumblr.comRuins of Revenge  |      On Github
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #203 - Posted 2013-02-07 04:38:12 »

Take a pause. Better you get healthy than you are trying to do more updates. Care about your health.

I don't know how to say that in english, but: Bless you =)

Thanks matheus... I am taking it pretty easy. It's been pretty easy since my kids in school, and these past couple days he's taken a nap on the way home from school, so I've been able to get plenty of rest.

Other than that, being sick is really really boring lol. So it's been a good opportunity to work on the game animations.

One problem we recently came across is that the character is taller than the ground tiles, so her head kind of sticks into the roof of the caves when running... to fix that, I'm making animations for her to crouch, then walk in a crouched position.

Here's the rough draft:

http://pickleninja.com/unembra/img/femaleAnimations/femaleTwoHandedCrouch.gifhttp://pickleninja.com/unembra/img/femaleAnimations/femaleOneHandedCrouch.gif
* I realize her left leg looks kind of weird around frame 5... I'll fix that later.
* Oh, and the reason why her arms are like that is because she's suppose to be holding a 2 handed weapon like a spear.... i just forgot to show it lol

-Pickle Smiley
Edit: Added one-handed crouching animation Smiley

Offline StumpyStrust
« Reply #204 - Posted 2013-02-07 05:18:36 »

couldn't you just scale it down be 5% or something? Seems way easier then having a crap load of extra animation.

Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #205 - Posted 2013-02-07 05:30:28 »

couldn't you just scale it down be 5% or something? Seems way easier then having a crap load of extra animation.

I tried doing that, but I'm at the point where image quality suffers if I shrink any further... plus we were thinking about having a stealth mode later on where the character would be in a crouched walk position (think rouges in world of warcraft).

-Pickle Smiley

Offline RobinB

JGO Ninja

Medals: 44

Spacegame in progress

« Reply #206 - Posted 2013-02-07 10:43:58 »

but why is it so flat (so wide vs height).

I knew someone was going to ask this... there's a good reason... but for now, it's a secret Wink  

Still wondering about this... Tongue
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #207 - Posted 2013-02-07 19:26:23 »

but why is it so flat (so wide vs height).

I knew someone was going to ask this... there's a good reason... but for now, it's a secret Wink  

Still wondering about this... Tongue

Hehe... I'll let you know when the time is right Smiley

in the mean time... ACK A SKELETON!!

http://pickleninja.com/unembra/img/NPCAnimations/skeleton_1.gif

ok... fever of 102... back to bed for me.

-Pickle

Online Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 752
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #208 - Posted 2013-02-08 06:47:39 »

Just add a nice swinging soundtrack to it!

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Pickleninja

JGO Coder

« Reply #209 - Posted 2013-02-17 14:37:51 »

Just add a nice swinging soundtrack to it!

lol... bow-chicka-wow-wow!

Hey guys,

pneumonia finally done... man am I glad that's finally over lol Smiley

Be expecting more updates this upcoming week Cheesy

-Pickle

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (18 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (23 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (15 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (12 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (33 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (43 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (43 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (31 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org